This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell Discusson and Appreciation Thread

With a sequel and a movie in the works, Strange and Norrell were going to require their own thread eventually! To get the ball rolling, what are your biggest hopes for the sequel? What are your biggest fears? Feel free to post your love for Ms. Clarke's masterpiece!

Is there any more news on the movie? I last tried searching a few weeks ago and found nothing substantial, but I don't know if I was looking in the right places. I really have to re-read the book- I borrowed a copy from a sibling to read three years ago, and loved it so much I bought my own copy, but I haven't re-read it yet. And I love her short story "The Duke of Wellington Misplaces His Horse".

Have you read "The Man Who Was Thursday" by G.K. Chesterton? It's fantastic and a clear influence on her work.

Comment

No, there is no news. I'm in semi-regular contact with Colin Greenland (Susanna's partner) and they've not heard anything about the film either (or if they have, they're not saying). Also as Susanna's not been well, the process of writing is somewhat more prolonged and requires more effort. But I'm told that she is writing when she can.

Have you both checked out the dramatisation of Mrs. Mabb on Radio 4 recently? It was pretty bloody excellent in my opinion.

Anyway, more info here:

www.foem.org.uk

M.

Comment

When I first read the book I knew that it would be a nightmare to make into a film. It's like LOTR in that it's material is difficult to translate to a visual medium. Plus, it will be expensive to make. New Line is probably stalling-they'd rather go ahead with movies that will be easier and cheaper to make and that will turn a definite profit. Of course, the script writing process will be slowed down even further since Susanna herself is unwell.
        I do believe that New Line eventually wants a JSandN movie (for their greed outways their laziness and fear) but, like they did wth LOTR, they will stall and fuss and whine and simper about the length and complexity and cost. We may have to wait a while. *pulls out lawn chair and sleeping bag*

Personally, I don't care if the movie is eight hours long, so I don't see New Line's problem here!

I've heard about "The Man Who Was Thursday" but I've never read it. I will though. I've already read many of the other works that have influenced her (more Dickens, in fact, than is good for me).

No, I didn't get hear the Mrs. Mabb dramatization. I didn't even know there was a dramatization. Thanks for telling me.

Comment

Well, given that New Line are under WB's wing at the moment - the depature of Shaye and Lynne are going only add to the delay. New Line have been buying the rights to fantasy books left, right and centre. His Dark Materials is not a great success for them despite what people may think. Don't forget they've also been the subject of various lawsuits too.

The thing is, New Line want a fantasy movie as big as Lord of the Rings, but given the problems with Peter Jackson it's been pretty hard to reproduce that success. I hope that they will get it right with JS&MN. Certainly, with Julian "Gosford Park" Fellowes on board, the screenplay should be somewhat decent.

As for the length - while you and I may want an 8 hour movie to ensure that most of the threads are kept in play, the general movie-going public are going to want the use of their bottoms again after two hours

M.

Comment

Yeah, they want another LOTR, but what they don't realize is that what made LOTR a success was the right mix of talent and near insanity on the part of Peter Jackson and his crew. It is nigh impossible to repeat what they did. Frankly, I don't think New Line should try to make "another" LOTR because they can't. Nor should they attempt to make JSandN the next Harry Potter. Instead, they need to focus on making unique fantasies that expand the genre.

But all any studio can see is what makes money. Whatever makes money, they wish to copy. I guess that is my biggest fear: New Line sticking their noses into the creative process. I really have no worries about the abilities of the script writers.

And I can't believe the wimpiness of the average movie audience!

Comment

Originally posted by Childermass View Post
              Yeah, they want another LOTR, but what they don't realize is that what made LOTR a success was the right mix of talent and near insanity on the part of Peter Jackson and his crew. It is nigh impossible to repeat what they did. Frankly, I don't think New Line should try to make "another" LOTR because they can't. Nor should they attempt to make JSandN the next Harry Potter. Instead, they need to focus on making unique fantasies that expand the genre.

But all any studio can see is what makes money. Whatever makes money, they wish to copy. I guess that is my biggest fear: New Line sticking their noses into the creative process. I really have no worries about the abilities of the script writers.

And I can't believe the wimpiness of the average movie audience!
              Wimpiness of the average movie audiences' bottoms anyway.

I want to see a unique film with this book as well, the magic is subtle and should stay that way; we don't need a big flashy fantasy CGI free-for-all. Awesome for LotR, but JSandN's strength lies in its realism.

Comment

Working...
              X