If the Tollan had survived...?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If the Tollan had survived...?

If the Tollan had survived, at what point would they have shared their "vastly superior technology" with us? Would it have been when we build the Prometheus thus exceeding them in FTL travel? Or when we build the Deadalus thus exceeding them in the "warship category"? Or when we defeated the Goa'uld and Replicators thus... Well saving every single person in the galaxy! Or when we found Atlantis thus exceeding them in... Well... Something? Or when we received all the knowledge of the Asgard thus exceeding them in every single way?

Now in my scenario the Tollan survived in a way that preserved their civilization as it was. So Tollan that I'm thinking about are the Tollan from SG-1 season 3 episode "Pretense". No change in their political leadership. Same old arrogant Tollan.

EDIT: Very few actually answered my question. Still by the time we got the 304 we would have been able to destroy the Tollans. All we would have had to do was take a 304 and a few nukes to Tollana and... PUFF. There is no way that our Asgard shields would have failed before we could beam a nuke to the planet. I'm not saying that we should have done that. All I'm saying is that if we already poses the technology to destroy Tollana what's the harm in giving us any of their less destructive and cleaner technology? (I assume the Ion Canon doesn't leave any harmful radiation.) And besides the Tollan had no weapons whose destructive might would exceed that of our new nuclear devices.
    Last edited by BuggyMan; 27 March 2008, 08:48 AM.

well, they shared some tech with the tok'ra, so i guess it doesnt depend on tech, but rather on the society itself

Comment

Imagine the Prometheus with a Tollan Ion canon on top! That would rule!
      sigpic
      Banner Made By Me for Me
      The Red Team proudly supports Stargate: Universe, Suck it Blue

Comment

The Tollan didn't share their tech because of them being afraid we would blow ourselves up with it.
        It's like you not letting your child play with a lighter, or in-fact a keyboard of a thermo-nuclear device.
        I think they would have shared their knowledge at the point when we decided to involve other countries in the SG-program, or at least when we formed the IOA.
        Or if not, we would have just landed a 304 un top of them and showed them that we're worthy
        Trailers and PR
        Stargate: War Begins team
        http://www.moddb.com/mods/9705/stargate-mod-war-begins
        forums:
        http://stargatethewarbegins.tk/

sigpic

We will miss you Hammond of Texas!

Comment

Except that Anubis' ships shields made them a piece of shiny useless...
          Wraith ships are giant lobsters.

Comment

yeah, but the tollan would have adapted to it like the asgard did

Comment

Thewy would have still stay as the Isolationist race that they've always been. They would have shared their tech with us after Unending. I mean If the Asgard could trust us with everything they had surely the Tollan would have done the same. Of course by then we don't need it anymore.
              Stargate Revival Please!

Comment

can you really blame the Tollan for refusing to share their tech with us?
                imagine if some people from a 1940s level of development planet with several competing nations came down and asked us for Asgard beam weapon technology
                would we give it to them?

hell no!

Comment

If the Tollan were still alive at the time of unending is it not possible that the Asgard would have given their tech to them rather than us.
                  Never look at what you have done but at what can still be done.

Comment

Originally posted by Replihive View Post
                    If the Tollan were still alive at the time of unending is it not possible that the Asgard would have given their tech to them rather than us.

Not really, since when did the Tollan ever help the Asgard?

Comment

The Tollan were incongruous because they somehow possessed superior technology and extremely limited strategic perspective.
                      Teal'c pointed that out in one episode.

It's very unlikely that Goa'uld would have not seen the Tollan as a significant threat earlier and worked covertly (if not overtly) to undermine them.
                      There's no way that a race of humans w/ technology rivalling (or exceeding) that of the Goa'uld would have been allowed to exist for any length of time.

What I'm also curious about is:Anubis destroyed the Tollan, but I'm sure he didn't destroy the entire surface of their planet.
                      Why didn't Stargate Command simply return to Tollana and salvage what they could of the Tollan's technology and archives after the conflict?

Not to sound ghoulish...but it's not as if the Tollans would be using it.
                      And I'm sure that that Tok'ra were almost vertainly going to do as such.
                      It would have made for a good story arc.

Comment

Even if the Tollan survived, why would we now, want their technology ?
                        We have the whole Ancient data base to work with, better, we have the whole Asgard database, all their knowledge. I'm sure the Earth would just say, "thanks, but, no thanks".

Comment

Originally posted by pbutter View Post
                          Even if the Tollan survived, why would we now, want their technology ?
                          We have the whole Ancient data base to work with, better, we have the whole Asgard database, all their knowledge. I'm sure the Earth would just say, "thanks, but, no thanks".

The phase-shifter technology would still be great to have.

Comment

Originally posted by Angelgrinder View Post
                            It does make security a real issue though, still couldn't get into atlantis since it has a sheild, but then .... you know.
                            Best quotes ever:
                            O’NEILL: I hope you like Guinness, Sir. I find it a refreshing substitute for food.
                            Jack O'neill: I hope you diplomatically told him where to shove it.
                            Teal'c:If you once again try to harm me or one of my companions, my patience with you will expire.
                            Carter: You know, you blow up one sun and suddenly everyone expects you to walk on water.
                            Thor:I like the yellow ones
                            O´Neill:Hey, if you had been listening, you´d know that Nintendos pass through everything.

Comment

Originally posted by Angelgrinder View Post
                              Don't we have better phase-shift technology. The Jaffa one, and Merlin's different dimensional phase..., two of these not only put the user out of phase but also make them invisible.

Comment

Working...
                              X