Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

56% gave AOT 10/10 - Outstanding on the gateworld poll?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

56% gave AOT 10/10 - Outstanding on the gateworld poll?

Hey dont get me wrong i am a massive sci fi fan, star trek tos since i was a child SG1 since it was first aired, Same with BSG But i thought AOT was once of the worst SG events. Ive still seen it 3 times now and bought the DVD an all but was noone else confused by how replicatros could magically controll a human, the logic behind one of them even doing it? A replicator staying in a ackward human/terminator forum even though bugs ae far more efficient for movement.

I may over reacted giving it a 3 but most if not all SG episodes where better than that. For tieing up a story i think SG1's Full circle at the end of season 6 when there was a slight worry of cancellation was fantastic. This movie did not need the replicators.

SG has always had that cheeze element which i love but this movie didnt take it too far it just wasent cheese except for that scene where tel'c is doing his long walk to help rescue.

All in all its ok/good but i still struggle to understand how over 1/2 of all voters though this a 10/10 And if this is a 10/10 how do they rate other episodes of SG1 like Season 6's Abyss or Full Circle. Or the two parter about Sokar (Jolinars memories) Episodes that make Stargate Stargate!.

Do you all consider this movie to be on par with those episodes?

Bugs are great for moving. Not so great for that whole, 'not get blown to bits' thing. A replihuman is significantly better equipped for combat agaisnt projectile weapons than regular replicator bugs.

I thought Ark of Truth was pretty solid, although I would have liked it to be longer. Because it was so short, all of the exposition was condensed in the first 45 minutes, which made the pace just impossibly fast - you had to catch every little bit of dialogue to know what was going on at all, and missing one link in the chain would prevent you from understanding the next few scenes. So more time would have been nice. The replicator storyline wasn't necessary, but I did really like that Cooper acknowledged how we have all this tech that we can use for fantastic ends - wiping out the Ori armies with replicators is pretty damn smart.

Comment

Originally posted by User45701 View Post
      Hey dont get me wrong i am a massive sci fi fan, star trek tos since i was a child SG1 since it was first aired, Same with BSG But i thought AOT was once of the worst SG events. Ive still seen it 3 times now and bought the DVD an all but was noone else confused by how replicatros could magically controll a human, the logic behind one of them even doing it? A replicator staying in a ackward human/terminator forum even though bugs ae far more efficient for movement.

I may over reacted giving it a 3 but most if not all SG episodes where better than that. For tieing up a story i think SG1's Full circle at the end of season 6 when there was a slight worry of cancellation was fantastic. This movie did not need the replicators.

SG has always had that cheeze element which i love but this movie didnt take it too far it just wasent cheese except for that scene where tel'c is doing his long walk to help rescue.

All in all its ok/good but i still struggle to understand how over 1/2 of all voters though this a 10/10 And if this is a 10/10 how do they rate other episodes of SG1 like Season 6's Abyss or Full Circle. Or the two parter about Sokar (Jolinars memories) Episodes that make Stargate Stargate!.

Do you all consider this movie to be on par with those episodes?
      I've seen fans give AvP ratings around 5 starts on 5, 10 out of 10, or 100%.
      GW just has a large number of such fans, that's all. If they liked that film, cool for them.
      I think you need to look for external reviews to get more objectivity.
      The Al'kesh is not a warship - Info on Naqahdah & Naqahdria - Firepower of Goa'uld staff weapons - Everything about Hiveships and the Wraith - An idea about what powers Destiny...

Comment

56% of the votes being 10/10 is pretty average for this site. It's a FANsite, so FANs come here and alot of them give 10/10s for everything. For comparison, Midway got 71% 10/10s, The Shroud got 67%.

Also if you don't like it why have you watched it 3 times?
        Jedi_Master_Bra'tac, previously known as wako!

Comment

My first thought when I saw the replicator was--tiresome! I agree the replicators were not needed and actually detracted from the main Ori arc. Surely we could have gone another direction with the IOA screw-up guy subplot. In itself the subplot was fine, just lose the replicators and give a few more brains and less whimp to the former black ops CIA agent.

Everything else was fine so I gave the movie an 8. Tiresome still comes to mind unbidden when the replicator first shows up every time I watch, but I enjoy repeated viewings.

I thought it said something that only 56% gave the episode a 10 on a fan site.

User 45701, I wonder why you gave the movie a 3 instead of a 5 or 6 since 5 is labeled as average and you wrote that it was ok/good. I do like this thread you started, thanks.

Comment

trust me, now that you've pointed out, a few dedicated little souls will wear out thier mouse fingers edging that number up

they will have to 'prove' that it's fantastic by making a poll say so
            Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

I enjoyed the replicator.. i mean they do show up everywhere... even in atlantis.. but you gotta admit.. they are one of the classic SG1 bad guys..

its the movie that sums up the series.. the end of the show why not have a small tribute to the glory days of SG1 .. after this point its a new ball game with continuum and hopefully more movies.. but AoT was the end of a chapter for stargate and it was an enjoyable storyline which adressed alot of criticisms about the show about how we never use the technology acquired.

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
                trust me, now that you've pointed out, a few dedicated little souls will wear out thier mouse fingers edging that number up

they will have to 'prove' that it's fantastic by making a poll say so
                Or more likely, the exact opposite.

Comment

people will spend days and nights by adding votes no matter how stupid certain episodes or movie are.
                  Stolen Kosovo
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jenks View Post
                    Or more likely, the exact opposite.
                    let's see, 5043 for outstanding and 107 for terrible. Looks like antis are pretty lazy people
                    Stolen Kosovo
                    sigpic

Comment

Anties don't care enough to show it by voting, not even once. That would be paying too much attention to something you would rather forget.
                      sigpic

Comment

I have to agree with those that say go somewhere else to find objective reviews. This is a fansite, so, more than likely, most of the folks here are fans of the show. I gave the movie a 6 or 7, I can't remember which. It was somewhere in the middle so I can't remember if I rounded up or down.... Knowing me, I rounded down.

<snip>.
                        Last edited by Skydiver; 26 March 2008, 12:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
                          What for exactly? Go to Amazon.com and read the reviews, most of them are very positive ones. Why is it so hard to believe that people actually value this movie really high?

Comment

Originally posted by Ladyinred View Post
                            What for exactly? Go to Amazon.com and read the reviews, most of them are very positive ones. Why is it so hard to believe that people actually value this movie really high?
                            Lots of Gateworld members will give any Gate episode 10/10 no matter what the quality.
                            Amazon is equally dubious in their ratings. Fanboys and girls pollute that site with their five star ratings for stuff that's essentially rubbish. Even over there you can see that people try to bolster AOT's rating for every bad review someone writes.
                            You just have to do a google and read a number of reviews to get a realistic review of AOT.

Comment

Originally posted by Lt. Colonel Ryu Gaia View Post
                              Bugs are great for moving. Not so great for that whole, 'not get blown to bits' thing. A replihuman is significantly better equipped for combat agaisnt projectile weapons than regular replicator bugs.
                              Ok thats a fair point but still it was all far too Terminator 1, i 1/2 expected him to crush the repliator under a door or something

Originally posted by Jedi_Master_Bra'tac View Post
                              56% of the votes being 10/10 is pretty average for this site. It's a FANsite, so FANs come here and alot of them give 10/10s for everything. For comparison, Midway got 71% 10/10s, The Shroud got 67%.

Also if you don't like it why have you watched it 3 times?
                              Still though even the biggest fans of a show... what im trying to say is calling most episodes 10/10 takes away from some of the greatest episodes which where truley amazing, breath taking episodes you could watch more time than you could watch this movie.

Originally posted by Wynd Ryder View Post
                              User 45701, I wonder why you gave the movie a 3 instead of a 5 or 6 since 5 is labeled as average and you wrote that it was ok/good. I do like this thread you started, thanks.
                              i think i must have got confused thinking 3 out of 5 and then went into out of 10

Originally posted by curiousmanners View Post
                              I enjoyed the replicator.. i mean they do show up everywhere... even in atlantis.. but you gotta admit.. they are one of the classic SG1 bad guys..

its the movie that sums up the series.. the end of the show why not have a small tribute to the glory days of SG1 .. after this point its a new ball game with continuum and hopefully more movies.. but AoT was the end of a chapter for stargate and it was an enjoyable storyline which adressed alot of criticisms about the show about how we never use the technology acquired.
                              Fair point the replicators are a good enemy and my only complaint about there use was taking over a person and being all terminator like. They didnt need to have it form into that.

Everything said i still bought it on DVD and from what i have read about the 2nd one ill think ill buy it twice. Sounds like a 10/10 anyway .

Comment

Working...
                              X