Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A new thought on the Ori...

...and their followers.

In another thread someone stated that they were disappointed with the cities of the Ori followers, or rather a lack thereof, in Ark of Truth.

My thinking is that they, the Ori, are really no different than the Gouald or Wraith. Besides the obvious fact that they are the villains.

My point has more to do with the Ori not wanting their followers to advance on their own. Think about the way that the Jaffa lived on their planets. They didn't have any advance technology of their own, they believed it was magic given by the gods. The same holds true of the Ori.

The Ori wouldn't want their flock to start inventing things of their own volition. They don't want them to make any advances on their own, otherwise they wouldn't be able to take credit for it thus taking away from their power. I am no theologian or historian, but look back to the dark ages from our own past when the church put a kibosh on all scientific progress. They didn't want anyone to prove that what was stated in the good book was wrong, or at the very least a little off. I can't imagine the heads that had to have rolled when they said the earth was not the center of the universe.

In summation, the reason we don't see advanced societies when they are being oppressed by "higher lifeforms" is because they are being oppressed.

Discuss. I'm gonna go get a bagel.

That's a good point, but what is there to discuss about it? It seems pretty straightforward to me. Did you enjoy that bagel?

Comment

The discuss part was kind of a joke referring to Mike Myers "coffee talk" character from SNL. I knew that I had pretty much taken away any avenues for discussion by being fairly all inclusive in the original post.

The bagel was phenomenal

Comment

well, the common part where both villans try to supress technological growth is because when you have a book or doctrine where every word is supposed to hold true, science does contradict and does so quite frequently. Science is typically more believable because you can verify its accuracy, and when it contradicts what is in a holy book it will cause skeptisicm. For the Ori it was a litteral power struggle, they needed followers with unwaivering devotion to worship them, their worship turns to raw power for the Ori. If they allowed science to make their followers loose heart their power in turn would diminish, and even on a higher plane of existance you can't force worship.
        Their white flags are no match to our guns!!

Comment

Working...
        X