PDA

View Full Version : If Lost City had been the end...(spoilers LC)

zebrok
May 6th, 2004, 01:34 PM
.....would it have been good enough to end the series with? I'm not saying LC in the full length feature film form (because that would be conjecture anyway due to possible script changes and post production editing) but rather as we saw it as 2 eps. It would have left Jack to be saved by Atlantis which would have been one hell of a lead in for that show. But the problem of the rest of the goa'uld would still be there, the jaffa still wouldn't be free, the replicators would still be looming albeit really slowly, Earth would only be 'safe for now' and we never met Those Damn Furlings ;) . So would it have been enough closure? Although you would miss the show dearly, at least I would, would it have been possible to tolerate due the the amazing high note that the series would have ended on?

I find myself surprised to answer my own question in the affirmative. LC was good enough to end the series with even though there are so many questions that I still have`ajout |he`Stargate(universe. (Althougj I want`July anl*Síason 8 to get heve as soon cs0possible and I am still zolding out hope for wecwon 9..n. gnd beyond, I would ha~e bgen fairly satisfied if Lc was`the end for SG1. `maybe it is beca}we I hive high hopes for the franchise beyond |he first"show but walking away after only 7 seasons wouldn't have been cs baf as I had imagined, before season 8 was anounced, for the simple fact the LC was so good.

Your thoughts?*[/COLOr}

*[COLOR=DarkRed]Please no mention of SHIP, there are enough threads to talk about that stuff already.

Lord Loz
May 6th, 2004, 05:24 PM
I think it would have been, however it's irrelevant as TLC was either a film or a season finale. :(

I must say I prefer this way as oppose to a series finale though, crossing a series to continue a cliffhanger would just be far too messy...

Lil Naitch
May 8th, 2004, 11:48 AM
It would have been a good finale, just have Jack saved in the first ep of Atlantis.

Personaly, I'm looking forward to Season 8 when they can rub their victory in the faces of the Tok'ra and the Rebel Jaffa :)

Teal'c
May 8th, 2004, 01:54 PM
It's not really fair to say, because Brad & Rob knew it wasn't the end, and so if they didn't know that it would have been written differently....

JakeDeuxPointZero
May 8th, 2004, 05:32 PM
I don't know if it would have worked well... I would have been disappointed, seeing as I only started watching the new eps as they came on about a quarter into season 7... that's just not enough brand-new-episode excitement! But I do agree it would have been a heck of a cliffhanger for Atlantis!

the_fours
May 9th, 2004, 06:01 AM
i think it provided good closure if it was the end just like full circle was closure for s6

Anubis
May 9th, 2004, 08:24 AM
If The Lost City had been the very end yes, it would have been written completely differently but I think it would still have been a good closure. However, if have doubts about the cliffhanger. People would really want to know what happened to the unfinished stories and of course, Jack

Mr Prophet
May 9th, 2004, 08:52 AM
Personaly, I'm looking forward to Season 8 when they can rub their victory in the faces of the Tok'ra and the Rebel Jaffa :)

That'd go over well.

Jack: "Nyah, nyah! We beat Apophis!"
Rebel Jaffa: "Yes; when were you planning on getting that teltac you came begging to us for back?"
Jack: "Um..."
Rebel Jaffa: "So we hear Tek ma'te Bra'tac saved your collective hash again."
Jack: "I got frozen! Gimme a break."

sidious618
May 9th, 2004, 11:10 AM
It might have been a good ending. They'd have to fix the problem in Atlantis, though

earck
May 12th, 2004, 06:29 PM
I don't think that it would be a good ending, but the question is irrelevent. If it would have been the end the writers would have written the last few episodes differently as to tie up as many loose ends as they could.

Remember they found out there was gonna be a Season 8 before the later episodes were even written.

KorbenDirewolf
May 13th, 2004, 03:21 PM
Yeah.. I think it could have worked like this. A few things could have carried over into Atlantis, but mostly it could be over. More closure than a lot of shows.

SaberBlade
May 13th, 2004, 05:18 PM
as a season Finale TLC was a good 2 parter but as the last ever episode, it wouldn't have been a good way to end the show because there is still a lot of unasnwered questions

with Atlantis set in a new Galaxy, we can pretty much say that the Jaffa, Super Soldiers, Replicator, Goa'uld, Aschen, Tollans and possibly even Asgard will not be in it. there is still a lot that can be done with these races and just ending the series with TLC, nothing would change the fact that without SG-1 or another SG show set in this Galaxy, what ever happens to them will probably never be concluded.

it would be a waste of Atlantis if it has to keep running into them to fill in holes in the story. with season 8 or even a season 9, when ever the show decides to end, these left over stories could be finished properly and SG-1 could finish properly. somethings Atlantis could help fill somethings in but not everything.

Shipperahoy
May 13th, 2004, 07:52 PM
From what I understand the basic premise for the Lost City was taken from what would have been the movie but it was altered when they found out they were coming back for season 8. I think if Lost City had been the very end of the series what we would have gotten would have been much different.

Iceborg
May 16th, 2004, 05:53 AM
I think I would have been satisfied if TLC was used as a transition into Atlantis and SG-1 ended. I agree it would have had to been written a little differently, but it would sufice. Atlantis then I think would have to be made to take over exactly where TLC left SG-1 instead of just a mere spin off.

Thoth
May 31st, 2004, 07:33 AM
Waaaahhhh! But I don't want SG1 to end! Waaaahhhh! :S . Oh, you're speaking hypothetically (sp?). :p

I suppose I would have been satisfied had that been the last ep, not happy, but satisfied.

VixyOwl (~~Ani)
June 2nd, 2004, 07:53 AM
That'd go over well.

Jack: "Nyah, nyah! We beat Apophis!"
Rebel Jaffa: "Yes; when were you planning on getting that teltac you came begging to us for back?"
Jack: "Um..."
Rebel Jaffa: "So we hear Tek ma'te Bra'tac saved your collective hash again."
Jack: "I got frozen! Gimme a break."
Very nice. Well done.

My $.02-- I'd have been more pleased with LC than with Full Circle as a last episode.

As long as we're on topic, perhaps Teal'c or Prophet (or anyone) can clear something up for me.
Had LC been the feature film, would it originally have gone straight from Full Circle to Lost City? Or would Full Circle have ended differently?

Anubis
June 2nd, 2004, 09:09 AM
I don't think the original plan was to have it go from Full Circle straight to the movie. Most of the storyline wouldn't make sense for example the Super Soldiers. Correct me if I'm wrong but I think they were planning a season seven and that would finally tie up with the movie?

Apepi
June 2nd, 2004, 09:50 AM
It just would'nt have worked leaving it at full circle and then making the movie,as was just posted we have the super soldiers that have come in season7,the growth and return of promethus(stranded in memento season6) so season 7 has been full of the info needed to bring the end(TLC)so if it had been a feature,season 7 would have been needed what ever has happened :eek:

Mr Prophet
June 2nd, 2004, 09:53 AM
Full Circle would undoubtedly have been different, as would the movie version of Lost City. What you probably would have ended up with would be SG-1 searching for the lost city in order to stop Anubis and his Eye-powered "death star".

Anubis
June 2nd, 2004, 10:45 AM
Mr P, you are quite right. That would have made sense to be the ending. Anubis gets the Eye, they find trace of a lost city and they go stop Anubis. All in all, simular to what happened througout season seven

SGSlugger
June 2nd, 2004, 10:55 AM
I would have liked to see the stuff that they cut from the original script put in. Examples: the leaving of Atlantis, the stuff with Aiyanna, and the other stuff they showed in the artwork.

sgeureka
June 8th, 2004, 10:02 AM
I would have liked to see the stuff that they cut from the original script put in. Examples: the leaving of Atlantis, the stuff with Aiyanna, and the other stuff they showed in the artwork.
Well, part of last S DVD will be "Inside Lost City (3 part behind the scenes look at the last episode)" so there is hope that there will finally be shed some light into what TPTB had originally envisioned.

If LC had been the last thing we had ever heard of SG-1 (even with the major changes for the possible movie), I would have loved this ending with frozen Jack. A big question about the Ancients would have been answered, there would have been enough action and VFX, and there wouldn't be the ugly discussions between JS-shippers and anti-shippers like either "oh, they're finally together" - "blech" or "I'll never watch anything produced by those TPTB for letting us shippers down" - "well that's your own fault". It would have been an ending where all the fans could reunite in their sadness (or hate at TPTB ;) ) and everyone could have imagined their own happy end with the beginning of Atlantis. (That's at least my impression and you're free to disagree). :)

Anubis
June 8th, 2004, 10:06 AM
I really hope that the DVD sheds some light on the real original planned ending for Stargate and they show the artwork with Atlantis flying off. I think that would have been great if it did happen

Elwe Singollo
June 8th, 2004, 11:36 AM
I really hope there is good special features on the finale ... i can't wait :)

Anubis
June 8th, 2004, 12:52 PM
Judging by the DVD commentries it seems there will be

Anthro Girl
June 8th, 2004, 01:01 PM
Darnit...now I have to go watch TLC again. :rolleyes:

Off the top of my head, I don't think it would have been as good a series ending as Full Circle was. Then again, when they wrote and filmed Full Circle, they actually thought it was the end, so I'm glad that worked. I only think TLC wouldn't have worked as a series end because you can't leave the Main Character (O'Neill) hanging like that. You could ascend him, kill him, rescue him or send him to another dimension, but you can't just leave him in limbo and hope that the storyline gets wrapped in the mess that is an opener to an entirely different series.

As an aside, I think Those Damn Furlings would make a fine title for a spin-off. :p

Anubis
June 8th, 2004, 01:02 PM
You're right. They wrote it as it WASN'T the end, unlike Full Circle

bcmilco
June 8th, 2004, 01:33 PM
IMO Full Circle wouldn't have made a good show ender.

It worked fine for bridging into s7 but IMO it was severly lacking for a show ender.

As for TLC being the end, if they had made it a movie like they had originally planned, then yes I'd say it probably would have been very good for ending the show, because they would have brought things to a better conclusion. IE Jack wouldn't be stuck on ice, and the team wouldn't be waiting for the 3 month review proccess to see what the civilian leaders decide, etc. etc...

So while it wouldn't be the best ending for the whole show IMO, it would definately have been good. However I liked it better as a season ender then a show ender ;)

Here's hoping s8 ends just as well :)

Elwe Singollo
June 8th, 2004, 01:47 PM
I hope season 8 ends good as well, i liked TLC though, i liked it alot. Ok, i will not repeat, but i also don't think Full Circle wouldn't have been a good ender for a series.

David85
June 8th, 2004, 03:01 PM
I agree. I liked season 6 and Full Circle would have been a terrible end. i hated season 7 but glad it happened because because TLC was so good.

bcmilco
June 8th, 2004, 03:55 PM
Personally I didn't 'hate' s7 but it had bigger weak spots then other seasons. :S

Elwe Singollo
June 8th, 2004, 05:28 PM
I liked S7 :) But i agree with bcm, it had episodes that weren't really good.

Anubis
June 8th, 2004, 11:07 PM
Season seven was great with a great ending. I think that could have made a good cliffhanger finish to the entire show, but then there's the story of O'Neill