Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The juristiction of Battlecruisers (Spoilers)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The juristiction of Battlecruisers (Spoilers)

Okay, I am a little confused on the exact ownership of the Daedalus class ships. In season 3, Colonel Caldwell states to Woosey that he doesn't work for the IOA and doesn't have to answer him. As well as the USAF fully footing the bill.

In AoT:
    Spoiler:
    When Merrick is pissed about the new intel where to find the arc, Mitchell tells him to replace him with him having the authority.

My guess it is a fully owned US Air Force vessel, and the only reason Merrick had authority was the Odyssey was on a sanctioned mission of the SGC?
    Last edited by ColCaldwell; 19 March 2008, 08:29 PM.

Originally posted by ColCaldwell View Post
    Okay, I am a little confused on the exact ownership of the Daedalus class ships. In season 3, Colonel Caldwell states to Woosey that he doesn't work for the IOA and doesn't have to answer him. As well as the USAF fully footing the bill.

In AoT:
    Spoiler:
    When Merrick is pissed about the new intel where to find the arc, Mitchell tells him to replace him with him having the authority.

My guess it is a fully owned US Air Force vessel, and the only reason Merrick had authority was the Odyssey was on a sanctioned mission of the SGC?
    The mission was sanctioned by the IOA. They oversee all of the SGC's day-to-day operations but the ships are all built in America and paid for by the US government.
    || Star Stream || Destiny Song || The Four Suns (My Band) || The Art of War <<== listen please!

Comment

Indeed, the way I understand it is that all the hardware belongs to the US (except for the Ancient outpost), it's just that every major SCG mission has to be signed off on by the IOA first.

Comment

From AoT:

Spoiler:
        Landry: Colonel, I was just giving Dr Jackson the good news.
        Jackson: The mission has been approved.
        Mitchell: I thought it was already approved.
        Marrick: Actually, no mission is approved until the IOA officially signs off on it.
        Landry: You've been given temporary command of the Odyssey for the duration of this operation.
        Mitchell: Sir, does that mean that I have to sit in the chair?
        Landry: That it does. And I wish the fun ended there.
        Mitchell: Sir?
        Landry: Mr Marrick will be overseeing the mission.
        Marrick: Personally I'm excited.
        Mitchell: Yeah, me too.
        Marrick: This will by my first time on board one of our battle cruisers. See you on board Colonel. Dr Jackson, General.

EXITS ROOM

Mitchell: Can I confine him to quarters?
        Landry: It's your call Colonel. One of those decisions those of us in command have to make.
        Last edited by kiwigater; 20 March 2008, 01:19 PM.
        sigpic

Comment

The Russian Air Force also has the plans for the X-303 and got a partially-completed BC-304 so it's likely they studied that one and are building their own ships.
          sigpic
          http://www.nerdtests.com/ft_space.php

Comment

Technically, Merrick couldn't replace Mitchell as commander, Landry could, but not Merrick.

Comment

Originally posted by ColCaldwell View Post

In AoT:
              Spoiler:

I think the juresdiction might go both ways depending on the mission or the situation.
              Carl Sagan on Nuclear self Destruction

Comment

Originally posted by FN-P90 View Post
                I think the juresdiction might go both ways depending on the mission or the situation.
                That's what I'm thinkin'.
                sigpic

Comment

Was an sgc mission using asaf assetts, and merrick was an IOA guy who had authority over the mission. Technically he could have been overruled by any asaf staff and blown out the airlock but there would have been command, political and financial repercussions for a failed mission.

Comment

I was really wishing that Mitchell would have used his authority and had Merrick confined to quarters, on bread and water.

Comment

Originally posted by SylvreWolfe View Post
                      I was really wishing that Mitchell would have used his authority and had Merrick confined to quarters, on bread and water.
                      Well he did (confined him to the briq) Only not on bread and water, didn't have much use though, while he gets éaten' by replicators
                      "Don't call us, we'll call you"

--

sigpic

Spoiler:
                      Spoiler:
                      Favorite Stargate Quote:

For the record, I hate you.
                      Well, it can't get any worse, then, can it?
                      Oh, no. I'm rapidly working up to despise.
                      Spoiler:
                      Everyone: "Go Metric"
                      Proud Member Of The Bunny Cult
                      (\/)
                      (oo)
                      (")(")

Comment

Originally posted by I_C_Ancients View Post
                        Well he did (confined him to the briq) Only not on bread and water, didn't have much use though, while he gets éaten' by replicators
                        Yeh, but he did it after the stupid f*** caused all the problems. He should have done it the moment they got onboard, I would have.

Comment

Originally posted by Cory Holmes View Post
                          The Russian Air Force also has the plans for the X-303 and got a partially-completed BC-304 so it's likely they studied that one and are building their own ships.
                          Doubtful, they won't have access to any naquadah or trinium.

Comment

The thing I don't understand about the IOA is why a government organisation overseeing the SGC and use of the Stargate has such a weak grasp on what actually goes on there.

The IOA seem to make all the wrong decisions that inveriably end up with some extra being killed, a member of SG-1 getting their ass kicked and yet another ship critically damaged.

I loved the line in AoT though between Merrick and Mitchell
                            Spoiler:

Mitchell: *removes a replicator strand from the back of Marrick's head*
                            Merrick: Kill me.
                            Mitchell: Beleive me, I'm tryin'..!
                            "You wanna run this ship?"
                            "YES!"
                            "W.. well, you can't."

Comment

Originally posted by dropstitch View Post
                              The thing I don't understand about the IOA is why a government organisation overseeing the SGC and use of the Stargate has such a weak grasp on what actually goes on there.

The IOA seem to make all the wrong decisions that inveriably end up with some extra being killed, a member of SG-1 getting their ass kicked and yet another ship critically damaged.
                              Because the IOA is a bunch of bureaucrats who don't know anything about personal responsibility? Woosley has learned the hard way several times that what is written down later, and what really happens may be similar but you just can't understand what is happening when weapons fire is all around you and you are given a limited set of choices.

Real world flameable topic.
                              Spoiler:
                              Generals in the US Joint Chiefs of staff warned Bush that going to Iraq was useless and wasteful. They are doing what they were told to do as they follow orders but military people see a different battlefield than political leaders, even if those leaders where once Soldiers. Also of Note Currently more democrats in office have served in the military, than republicans.

Comment

Working...
                              X