This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New "Dune" Movie

Well it appears another Dune movie adaptation is in the works, which of course has me really excited given how big of a Dune fan I am!

Frank Herbert’s classic 1965 SF novel Dune has captured our imagination for years. The Hugo and Nebula Award-winning novel was first adapted into a film in 1984 by David Lynch, and then adapted again into SciFi Channel’s 2000 miniseries.

Get ready for another adaptation. Paramount Pictures has attached Peter Berg to direct the new big-screen adaptation, which is slated for a 2009 release.

The novel is set in the far future amidst a sprawling feudal interstellar empire. The story centers on the remote desert planet Arrakis, which is the only source of the spice melange. Melange -- a drug that gives the user a longer lifespan makes interstellar travel possible -- is the most essential and valuable commodity in the universe.

Variety reported that "Paramount envisions the project as a tentpole film" and that "the filmmakers consider its theme of finite ecological resources particularly timely."

This Dune incarnation is looking for writers and hopes to make a "faithful adaptation" of the novel.

Richard Rubenstein ("New Amsterdam"), who produced SCI FI's "Dune" and the sequel, "Children of Dune," is producing alongside Sarah Aubrey of Berg's Film "44." John Harrison and Mike Messina will executive-produce. Plus, according to Film.com, authors Kevin J. Anderson and Brian Herbert (son of Frank Herbert) will be co-producers on the film.
    http://www.syfyportal.com/news424831.html

I really hope they do keep faithful to the book like the article states. The first film was OK but strayed really far from the book, though the miniseries wasn't back. I know its virtually impossible to reproduce on screen what Frank Herbert wrote, but I'm still excited to see something close.
    Last edited by Xicer; 19 March 2008, 10:52 AM.
    Folding@Home|Babylon 5 Canon Guide

Delenn: This is Ambassador Delenn of the Minbari. Babylon 5 is under our protection. Withdraw,...or be destroyed.
    Earth Captain: Negative. We have authority here. Do not force us to engage your ship.
    Delenn: Why not? Only one human captain has ever survived battle with a Minbari fleet. He is behind me. You are in front of me. If you value your lives, be somewhere else.
    --Babylon 5 - "Severed Dreams"

Great news brother Xicer!. As much as the original movie and the mini-series were panned by critics, I loved them both!. I look forward to anything Dune related on film.
    the Fifth Race

Mod@ www.Bodybuilding.com
    Mod@ www.MMAforumcom

Comment

Originally posted by the Fifth Race View Post
      Great news brother Xicer!. As much as the original movie and the mini-series were panned by critics, I loved them both!. I look forward to anything Dune related on film.
      yeah i did too, and i love the book, (just not a big fan of the sequals )

although, why do people insist on remaking movies of books when they can make new movies based on better books!!
      Spoiler:
      Disclaimer:
      I have been using this username since 1998, it has no connection to "The Last Airbender", or James Cameron's movie.
      Quotes!
      - "Things will not calm down, Daniel Jackson, they will in fact calm up!"
      - "I hope you like Guinness Sir, I find it a refreshing alternative to... food"
      - "I'm Beginning to regret staying up late to watch "Deuce Bigalow: European Gigalo" last night... Check that, i regretted it almost immediately"
      sigpic

Comment

Never saw the original but I love the Sci-Fi Mini Series I am going to watch this project with great interest

Comment

I just hope they can stick to the "staying faithful" part.

Comment

i thought the film did a more or less faithful adaptation, i liked it, i'm actually named after lady Jessica, so i had to like it, even struggled through the sequals which got progressively weirder, but i am looking forward to this, Kevin, J Anderson is a good writer and technology has moved on too, though the cast for the original was fantastic, not sure if they'll be able to top it for me

Comment

Originally posted by jesserella View Post
              i thought the film did a more or less faithful adaptation
              The '84 Lynch version? Really?

Comment

Fantastic news. While I feel that Dune is big with sci-fi enthusiasts and in particular those who enjoy reading, I've never been under the impression that it reached out beyond that group. A solid, big screen, release could be what is needed to share a fantastic story with a wider audience.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeffala View Post
                  The '84 Lynch version? Really?
                  the basis was as close as they could get, the only major change was replacing the weirding way with sonic blasters.
                  Spoiler:
                  Disclaimer:
                  I have been using this username since 1998, it has no connection to "The Last Airbender", or James Cameron's movie.
                  Quotes!
                  - "I'm Beginning to regret staying up late to watch "Deuce Bigalow: European Gigalo" last night... Check that, i regretted it almost immediately"
                  sigpic

Comment

Oh this is an interesting news! I also like both versions (maybe a bit more John Harrison's -because of Alec Newman as Paul Atreides ) and I think it is a good idea- maybe another would be the best?
                    sigpic
                    sig thanks to Luci

Comment

Excellent news! I haven't seen either previous version, but I love the book and will definitely see this one.

Comment

I look forward to what this version will be like.
                        sigpic
                        MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
                        "...phu...ah..."
                        "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
                        Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

I prefer the Scifi mini-series, so I am dubious that the new filmaker will be able to keep the essesnce of the book intact with a relatively short about of time, but I will give it a shot. I enjoyed the book.
                          "Trust me. I'm a psychopath." Jekyll

"And I thought the end of the world couldn't get any worse" Ianto-Torchwood

Comment

Originally posted by MasySyma View Post
                            I prefer the Scifi mini-series, so I am dubious that the new filmaker will be able to keep the essesnce of the book intact with a relatively short about of time, but I will give it a shot. I enjoyed the book.
                            yeah i agree, it worked in 4 and a half hours, but without lynch-like comprimise, it will be hard to pull off, i'm still not sure why they are doing it...
                            Spoiler:
                            Disclaimer:
                            Quotes!
                            sigpic

Comment

They are remaking Dune because the studios are looking for another cashcow franchise now that the LOTR movies are finished and/or in production, Harry Potter is nearly finished, and Pirates has (thankfully) ended.

They see the original series, the prequels, and the sequels as future movies. I don't think most of the later books will translate in the slightest, and they would be better off using one of the prequels like House Atredies, but I'm not a studio exec. Then again, I'm ok with that.
                              "Trust me. I'm a psychopath." Jekyll

"And I thought the end of the world couldn't get any worse" Ianto-Torchwood

Comment

Working...
                              X