This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Whats with the hair?

OK, so is it just me or does te'lc go from having grey hair on the right side to both sides and then back again thoughout this film?

Other than that, good work done by all on this. Buy it, Buy it now

Originally posted by Wander2072 View Post
    OK, so is it just me or does te'lc go from having grey hair on the right side to both sides and then back again thoughout this film?

Other than that, good work done by all on this. Buy it, Buy it now
    Scenes get flipped all the time in cinema work. We just usually dont have a white band on one side of the head to make it obvious :O

Comment

Nope, not just you, it was Teal'c and the bad continuity of the show.

Comment

A lot of the time a scene is flipped during the editing process. One reason why it happens is to maintain eyeline continuity.

An example of eyelines: If two people are conversing, for example, it's customary in cinema to show them looking towards opposite sides of the screen in shots where only one is visible. To prevent confusion for viewers, the direction they look has to match the direction each is looking when both of them are on screen. The same applies for when a character has to look at something. If the camera work has established that the object they're looking at is to the right of them, it gets confusing when a shot makes them look at the left side of the screen.

When a film is being edited together, they have to make sure the eyelines make sense from shot to shot and sometimes its necessary to do a flip for that shot.

Comment

Great post. Always interesting to learn things like this

Comment

Nah, I still chalk it up to them not paying attention and continuity issues. The stripe, itself, also changed size. And, this is not the first time, of many, that details like this were mucked up.

Comment

Originally posted by SylvreWolfe View Post
              Nah, I still chalk it up to them not paying attention and continuity issues. The stripe, itself, also changed size. And, this is not the first time, of many, that details like this were mucked up.
              If you've ever been on a film set, you'd realize there are far too many things to "pay attention" to if you're expecting perfect continuity. When you're on set, you're on the clock and you only get a very limited number of chances to do your filming. You may not always be able to return to do additional shooting. So mistakes happen and make it to the final film. It's a fact of life.

But as I've said, sometimes it's necessary to flip a shot during editing, which is a likely reason for Teal'c's hair to be flipped.

Comment

Originally posted by 1138 View Post
                If you've ever been on a film set, you'd realize there are far too many things to "pay attention" to if you're expecting perfect continuity. When you're on set, you're on the clock and you only get a very limited number of chances to do your filming. You may not always be able to return to do additional shooting. So mistakes happen and make it to the final film. It's a fact of life.

But as I've said, sometimes it's necessary to flip a shot during editing, which is a likely reason for Teal'c's hair to be flipped.
                Or, they just messed things up. How can you not pay attention to continuity? How hard can it be to keep the streak on the same side or to even have it the same size each time, instead of it changing shape from scene to scene? TPTB on this show don't bother with maintaining details or continuity, they never have. They have made mistakes like this since Children of the Gods, mistakes that cannot be chalked up to flipping a shot. It is them not paying attention to the characters on the show. And that, too, is a fact of life. What could be more important than getting the characters right? Another likely reason for the streak to be wrong is that they just messed up.

Comment

A lot of the time a scene is flipped during the editing process. One reason why it happens is to maintain eyeline continuity.

An example of eyelines: If two people are conversing, for example, it's customary in cinema to show them looking towards opposite sides of the screen in shots where only one is visible. To prevent confusion for viewers, the direction they look has to match the direction each is looking when both of them are on screen. The same applies for when a character has to look at something. If the camera work has established that the object they're looking at is to the right of them, it gets confusing when a shot makes them look at the left side of the screen.

When a film is being edited together, they have to make sure the eyelines make sense from shot to shot and sometimes its necessary to do a flip for that shot.
                  That explanation makes sense.
                  I have to say I really only noticed the stripe-flip during part of Teal'c's trek through the snow.
                  Then I shrugged and carried on watching to see what happened next in the movie.

To me it wasn't a biggie,but then perhaps I'm just easily pleased by seeing the movie at last on Sky ,lol !
                  The place to "Gate" to during Outages for updates and info:

Comment

Or, they just messed things up. How can you not pay attention to continuity? How hard can it be to keep the streak on the same side or to even have it the same size each time, instead of it changing shape from scene to scene?
                    I told you already, they might need to flip shots during editing. How hard is that to understand?

Wait, do you pay for your education? It's time to get your money back. Maybe ask for a tax refund if it's public school.

TPTB on this show don't bother with maintaining details or continuity, they never have. They have made mistakes like this since Children of the Gods, mistakes that cannot be chalked up to flipping a shot. It is them not paying attention to the characters on the show. And that, too, is a fact of life. What could be more important than getting the characters right? Another likely reason for the streak to be wrong is that they just messed up.
                    [/COLOR][/B]
                    As opposed to any other production where the same types of mistakes happen, right? The show is filmed on a weekly basis, which is a very fast paced shooting schedule and you expect them to get everything perfect?

Come back after you've directed a film and had to deal with the hassle of working on set in unpredictable conditions. Until then, you don't know what you're talking about and are being needlessly nitpicky.

Comment

They have made mistakes like this since Children of the Gods, mistakes that cannot be chalked up to flipping a shot. It is them not paying attention to the characters on the show.
                      They're obviously doing something right to keep you watching from CotG to the Ark.
                      -- Brains12

Comment

I remember noticing that the first time I watched AOT. It actually makes me laugh a little now.
                        sigpic
                        MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
                        "...phu...ah..."
                        "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
                        Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

The answer is obvious. Teal'C has in fact, lost all his hair, and that piece of gray is in fact, his wig!!!

That's right!!! Teal'C is BALD!!!

(but even Jaffa like to look young)

Comment

I told you already, they might need to flip shots during editing. How hard is that to understand?

Wait, do you pay for your education? It's time to get your money back. Maybe ask for a tax refund if it's public school.

As opposed to any other production where the same types of mistakes happen, right? The show is filmed on a weekly basis, which is a very fast paced shooting schedule and you expect them to get everything perfect?

Come back after you've directed a film and had to deal with the hassle of working on set in unpredictable conditions. Until then, you don't know what you're talking about and are being needlessly nitpicky.
                            You are correct, nothing is perfect, it doesnt excist and people should realise it, even big blockbusters with a budget of 50 million contains errors, it is made by people, not robots.
                            Be happy with what you have rather than with what you dont have

Comment

Continuity has never been a strong suit for Stargate.
                              Even when it was on Showtime...there were always little things that never meshed from scene to scene.
                              Or episode to episode.

Even things that would have made sense (like Teal'c falling face down on the beach and rising w/o sand on his face or upper torso) fall through the cracks.
                              If continuity were a priority, a better job would be done.
                              It isn't...so it isn't...

Comment

Working...
                              X