Scifi Upfront Meeting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Scifi Upfront Meeting

Isn't today the day for Scifi's upfront meeting? If I remember correctly, this is where they'll tell advertisers all about their programming for next year, like the next season of SGA, Sanctuary, Ben's miniseries he's developing, and maybe a third Stargate series. Has anyone heard anything yet?

Originally posted by ShardsofGlass View Post
    Isn't today the day for Scifi's upfront meeting? If I remember correctly, this is where they'll tell advertisers all about their programming for next year, like the next season of SGA, Sanctuary, Ben's miniseries he's developing, and maybe a third Stargate series. Has anyone heard anything yet?
    Well...there was this article on TV Week:

http://www.tvweek.com/news/2008/03/s...or_upfront.php

(Please follow the link for the complete article.)

March 16, 2008 8:48 PM

Sci Fi Fanning Out for Upfront

Wants Its Characters Across All Media

By Jon Lafayette

Sci Fi Channel is working to create the programming of the future.

Its new development process is aimed at developing intellectual property with characters and stories that can live not only on a cable TV channel, but in video games, comic books, movies and digital platforms, creating multiple streams of revenue.

At its upfront presentation in New York this week, the network will announce that a property jointly created with Virgin Comics, “The Stranded,” is being developed for a TV series. The network said it’s also looking for a video game publisher to handle “The Stranded,” a story of regular people who discover they’re aliens with extraordinary abilities.

**snippage**

At the upfront, Sci Fi is expected to talk to ad buyers about other new series including “Revolution” and “Warehouse 13” that the network hopes might one day replace flagship show “Battlestar Galactica,” which is ending its adventures on the network.

Not Just for Geeks

Sci Fi was the No. 5 ad-supported cable network among adults 25 to 54 and No. 9 among adults 18 to 49.

The network also has new research showing that even though its tech-savvy viewers have digital video recorders and know how to use them, they still tend to watch commercials.

**snippage**

<><><><>

Here's an idea: why doesn't the SciFi Channel promote a TV series they already have, a series that's starting its fifth season, a series that has quality story telling and excellent actors, a series that has for their progenitor the longest running scifi series on US television -- you may have heard of it -- STARGATE ATLANTIS!

Morjana

SG1/SGA/SGU - Saving Earth/Atlantis/?, one mission at a time!
    SG1-Spoilergate Richard Dean Anderson Fans Abydos Gate Morjana
    Morjana's Blog Twitter

Comment

It's funny, I bet the advertisers are not too happy with the Flash Gordon garbage. What did they average a 0.6? lol!
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by morjana View Post
        Well...there was this article on TV Week:

http://www.tvweek.com/news/2008/03/s...or_upfront.php

(Please follow the link for the complete article.)

March 16, 2008 8:48 PM

Sci Fi Fanning Out for Upfront

Wants Its Characters Across All Media

By Jon Lafayette

Sci Fi Channel is working to create the programming of the future.

Its new development process is aimed at developing intellectual property with characters and stories that can live not only on a cable TV channel, but in video games, comic books, movies and digital platforms, creating multiple streams of revenue.

At its upfront presentation in New York this week, the network will announce that a property jointly created with Virgin Comics, “The Stranded,” is being developed for a TV series. The network said it’s also looking for a video game publisher to handle “The Stranded,” a story of regular people who discover they’re aliens with extraordinary abilities.

**snippage**

At the upfront, Sci Fi is expected to talk to ad buyers about other new series including “Revolution” and “Warehouse 13” that the network hopes might one day replace flagship show “Battlestar Galactica,” which is ending its adventures on the network.

Not Just for Geeks

Sci Fi was the No. 5 ad-supported cable network among adults 25 to 54 and No. 9 among adults 18 to 49.

The network also has new research showing that even though its tech-savvy viewers have digital video recorders and know how to use them, they still tend to watch commercials.

**snippage**

<><><><>

Here's an idea: why doesn't the SciFi Channel promote a TV series they already have, a series that's starting its fifth season, a series that has quality story telling and excellent actors, a series that has for their progenitor the longest running scifi series on US television -- you may have heard of it -- STARGATE ATLANTIS!

Morjana
        Atlantis like SG-1 doesn't belong to Sci-fi but to MGM...

Comment

Originally posted by Briangate78 View Post
          It's funny, I bet the advertisers are not too happy with the Flash Gordon garbage. What did they average a 0.6? lol!
          Have you read/listened to Sanctuary's recent interview with Damian Kindler?

http://www.sanctuaryfans.com/site/in...=499&Itemid=34

An excerpt regarding Flash Gordon:

Myrth: Okay. So, I guess in terms of the television licensing and specifically with SciFi, in those terms you mentioned Touchstone. Stage 3’s fitting into that slot where you’re still in control of the creative and that side of things?

DK: Well, let’s differentiate. We are in control of the creative and in control of – we own the property. But nobody says, “Here, I’ll pay you this many millions of dollars to show 13 episodes of Sanctuary,” and then say, “And, gee, I hope it’s good.” They go, “No. And the more money we pay, the more money we want.” So meaning that when SciFi Channel makes a licensing agreement with MGM to broadcast the first window of Stargate Atlantis and pays a ginormous amount of money – a big, significant chunk of their big budget…they go, “We want to give notes on scripts. We want to know who’s directing it. What actors are you casting? These are the writers we like.” They don’t necessarily shove it down your throat. In fact, they haven’t been. They’ve been wonderful. But they’re like, “We pay; we’re at the table to give our input.” So…they know what they need to make a show work. They’ve learned from their mistakes. You know, we walked in and they said, “Guys, Painkiller Jane and Flash Gordon did not work for us. So, we are going to really sit down with you and make sure that your show has everything it needs to work because we didn’t do that with Flash Gordon and Painkiller Jane.” And we went, “Absolutely!” So, uh yeah!

Morjana's Blog Twitter

Comment

Morjana
            Upfront presentations are always about new programming. That applies to ABC, NBC, or CBS just as much as SciFi.

Atlantis is a know quantity. The ad agencies already know what to expect of it. It's the unknown quantities they come to hear about.

Comment

Originally posted by MediaSavant View Post
              Upfront presentations are always about new programming. That applies to ABC, NBC, or CBS just as much as SciFi.

Atlantis is a know quantity. The ad agencies already know what to expect of it. It's the unknown quantities they come to hear about.
              Yes, but the article mentioned replacing the SciFi Channel's "flagship" show BSG.

Why replace a "flagship" show with something new (and likely to be cancelled after the first season, given SciFi's track records) when SciFi already has SGA?

Morjana

Morjana's Blog Twitter

Comment

Yes, but the article mentioned replacing the SciFi Channel's "flagship" show BSG.

Why replace a "flagship" show with something new (and likely to be cancelled after the first season, given SciFi's track records) when SciFi already has SGA?

Morjana
                No offense, to BSG, I love that show. But they failed as a "Flagship" show. But according to Howe, Stargate has always been the "Flagship" show. Can there be more than one "Flagship" show? If not, Atlantis should be the Flagship show since SG-1 ended.

Also, how many shows have failed, or failing or cannot even make it into the top 10? Atlantis has stepped up to the plate and hit a homerun for their last Season half. There is no denying it. They are right on GH's heels.
                sigpic

Comment

SGA doesn't have and never will have the prestige that BSG has/had. Not only has BSG given the network attention by making influential critic top ten lists, it got Emmy nominations for writing and directing.

Atlantis is just "a show". If it hasn't attained the status of flagship in the four years it's been on, it isn't suddenly going to get that status now.

Being a flagship is more than about ratings, but also about buzz and critical prestige and Emmy nominations in important categories. BSG was incredibly successful in those aspects.

Comment

SGA doesn't have and never will have the prestige that BSG has/had. Not only has BSG given the network attention by making influential critic top ten lists, it got Emmy nominations for writing and directing.

Atlantis is just "a show". If it hasn't attained the status of flagship in the four years it's been on, it isn't suddenly going to get that status now.

Being a flagship is more than about ratings, but also about buzz and critical prestige and Emmy nominations in important categories. BSG was incredibly successful in those aspects.
                    Thank you for your answer, MS.

However, I've often wondered if there has been an amount of bias towards Stargate (both SG1 & SGA) by the Media (both US & Canada) for a variety of reasons:

US

1) Filmed in Canada
                    2) Majority of staff, crew and cast Canadian
                    3) First shown on cable, and then in syndication
                    4) Even though the critics have not "loved" Stargate for the 11+ years now it's been on the air...it's still on the air...

Canada

1) First shown in the US
                    2) US owned

Morjana

Morjana's Blog Twitter

Comment

However, I've often wondered if there has been an amount of bias towards Stargate (both SG1 & SGA) by the Media (both US & Canada) for a variety of reasons:

US

1) Filmed in Canada
                      2) Majority of staff, crew and cast Canadian
                      3) First shown on cable, and then in syndication
                      4) Even though the critics have not "loved" Stargate for the 11+ years now it's been on the air...it's still on the air...

Canada

1) First shown in the US
                      2) US owned

Morjana
                      I don't think that's entirely it. The Stargates have always been "workhorses" for whatever channels they've been on. They just aren't the intention-getting stallions.

BSG is filmed in Canada (as was X-Files). It had to fight a lot of initial negativity because of its cheesy original series to get the attention it got.

Starting on cable used to be a hindrance, but with shows like The Shield, Nip/Tuck, The Closer, and Monk--to name a few--it's not a hindrance anymore to getting noticed.

Not that many shows are filmed in Hollywood anymore.

There's something to be proud of in lasting so long. Often, the critically acclaimed shows are the ones with a short shelf-life.

Comment

I have to disagee, Atlantis has won awards, and they even won the PCA this year. Notice how the ratings started to go back up right after they won the award. Coincedence? Maybe. Maybe not. The show is likely finding new viewers. The Stargate franchise has always been more popular than BSG, imo. Atlantis surpassed BSG in ratings as well.
                        sigpic

Comment

And Atlantis won the People's Choice Award this year. That's not too shabby.

But I know what MS means for flagship shows. When BSG premiered, it was getting huge ratings and tons of critical acclaim. SGA has always done just okay in terms of ratings, and it's never gotten anywhere near the critical acclaim of BSG. They're two very different shows. I don't even think SGA is TRYING to be anything like BSG in terms of character arcs or edginess. It's a fun, action-adventure show that people can watch with their families, but that's usually not the kind of show that's a flagship show, imo.

But anyway, I guess Scifi hasn't released any info from their upfront meeting yet? I hope they do at some point. I'm very curious.

Comment

Originally posted by ShardsofGlass View Post
                            And Atlantis won the People's Choice Award this year. That's not too shabby.

But I know what MS means for flagship shows. When BSG premiered, it was getting huge ratings and tons of critical acclaim. SGA has always done just okay in terms of ratings, and it's never gotten anywhere near the critical acclaim of BSG. They're two very different shows. I don't even think SGA is TRYING to be anything like BSG in terms of character arcs or edginess. It's a fun, action-adventure show that people can watch with their families, but that's usually not the kind of show that's a flagship show, imo.

But anyway, I guess Scifi hasn't released any info from their upfront meeting yet? I hope they do at some point. I'm very curious.
                            Actually the rating difference between BSG and SGA was never big, I believe, even when BSG still got higher ratings than SGA... you're rigth about the critically acclaimed bit, of course.
                            Pinky, are you thinking what I'm thinking?
                            Yes, I am!
                            sigpic
                            Improved and unfuzzy banner being the result of more of Caldwell's 2IC sick, yet genuis, mind.
                            Help Pitry win a competition! Listen to Kula Shaker's new single
                            Peter Pan R.I.P

Comment

Boy I sure hope they show more Wrestling and show more drama and comedy movies because its oh so Sci fi and fantasy!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X