Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did anyone think "This could have been shown in theaters"?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Did anyone think "This could have been shown in theaters"?

I saw AoT for the first time on Saturday, and sat there looking at the screen, taking it all in, and it hit me "They really COULD have released this as a real movie."

Did anyone else get that feeling, that it would have made it if it'd come out first that way, then DVD later?

Originally posted by Niddle View Post
    I saw AoT for the first time on Saturday, and sat there looking at the screen, taking it all in, and it hit me "They really COULD have released this as a real movie."

Did anyone else get that feeling, that it would have made it if it'd come out first that way, then DVD later?
    I'm not a hater here. I LOVE the movie. But it wouldn't have worked in a theatre. It would have looked awesome on the big screen, but not many people outside of the Stargate world would have understood a thing that was going on!

Comment

They'd have to rework it to give a lot more context. The replicator subplot (which I loved) probably would have to be taken out to give time to explain the Ori threat and all the needed mythology.

Comment

That is exactly what I was thinking as well when I first watched it!! It would of looked awesome on the big screen. Even though Continuum is straight-to-DVD, we can hold out hope for the third movie...

sigpic

Jaffa Kree!

Comment

no way!
          Stolen Kosovo
          sigpic

Comment

It'd have looked awesome, but only the Stargate fans would've come and watched it. The other people will probably 'meh' the movie. So, nope.
            Mia: Don't you hate that?
            Vincent: Hate what?
            Mia: Uncomfortable silences. Why do we feel it's necessary to yak about bullsh*t in order to be comfortable?
            Vincent: I don't know. That's a good question.
            Mia: That's when you know you've found somebody really special: you can just shut the f*** up for a minute and comfortably share silence.
            - Pulp Fiction

Comment

No, I don't think so. It was high quality for made-for-TV, but I didn't think it was good enough for theaters.
              >>>Hello, I'm new! Here's my introduction post:<<<

Comment

Are you kidding me? The effects were nowhere-near theatrical quality, the acting was surprisingly so-so in most non-starring cases, and the storyline was completely unoriginal and rushed.

No way.
                Click the banner or episode links to visit the virtual continuations of Stargate!
                Previous Episode: 11x03 "Shore Leave" | Previous Episode: 6x04 "Nightfall" | Now Airing: 3x06 "Eldest"

Comment

Originally posted by s09119 View Post
                  Are you kidding me? The effects were nowhere-near theatrical quality, the acting was surprisingly so-so in most non-starring cases, and the storyline was completely unoriginal and rushed.

No way.
                  The movie was way better than that IMO though I agree it never would have worked in a theatrical setting.
                  Proud Sam/Jack and Daniel/Vala and John/Teyla Shipper!
                  "We're Americans! Shoot the guys following us!"
                  Don S. Davis 1942-2008 R.I.P. My Friend.

Comment

it wouldn't have worked. There are too few stargate fans to, even at 10-12 dollars a head, give them the sales they'd need to recoup the money they'd spend getting it mastered to film.

That's usually what 'makes or breaks' a film, the cost of getting it into the theaters is so high that they have to sell millions and millions of tickets to break even. Stargate doesn't have that kind of a following. Heck, star trek barely does anymore.

direct to dvd is the most profitable way to go
                    Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
                      it wouldn't have worked. There are too few stargate fans to, even at 10-12 dollars a head, give them the sales they'd need to recoup the money they'd spend getting it mastered to film.

That's usually what 'makes or breaks' a film, the cost of getting it into the theaters is so high that they have to sell millions and millions of tickets to break even. Stargate doesn't have that kind of a following. Heck, star trek barely does anymore.

direct to dvd is the most profitable way to go
                      Not to mention the budget would be in anwhere from 40-130 million compared to what it was for AOT. They would never make that back not enough fans to justify the expense.
                      Proud Sam/Jack and Daniel/Vala and John/Teyla Shipper!
                      "We're Americans! Shoot the guys following us!"
                      Don S. Davis 1942-2008 R.I.P. My Friend.

Comment

They couldn't put the movie in its current form into cinemas. It wouldn't need an overhaul, they'd have to start over from scratch. For example, a more direct threat to earth, deeper character development, more grand and self-contained action set-pieces.

And one of my favourite missed opportunities would be for the Replicators to actually make it onto the Ori ships, but the IOA plan backfires as Adria takes control of them and uses them as a tool for the destruction of the "non-believers" on Earth or elsewhere. Everything you throw at her, she just deflects it back at you ten times worse. Make her the ultimate unbeatable femme fatale, dammit!!
                        This time... it's war!

Comment

Originally posted by Niddle View Post

It wouldn't have worked for one reason. Toooooooo much back story most people wouldn't know. Besides that it would have needed some space battles to make it a movie. With those 2 things it would have made a good theatre movie.

Comment

Re: Did anyone think "This could have been shown in theaters"?

I had this feeling during the opening credits... then, no.

Comment

No.

Just...No.

(Credit to RepliCartertje for the beautiful sig and to Mala for smilies.)

Comment

Working...
                              X