PDA

View Full Version : Tru Calling officially cancelled

TechnoBoY
October 24th, 2004, 07:00 AM
Dushku says Tru Calling officially cancelled
Posted on Sun, 24-Oct-2004

<mod snip>

http://www.moviehole.net/news/4409.html

It wasnt the best show but I was hoping it would come back on. It was just started getting good at the end!

DownFallAngel
October 24th, 2004, 07:02 AM
That sucks. The show was like a mix of CSI and Thoughtcrimes and ****. It was alright. Sucks for her.

MartoufMarty
October 24th, 2004, 07:05 AM
Awww... That sucks. I loved that show.

:(

DownFallAngel
October 24th, 2004, 07:13 AM
Seeing as how they have Season 2 filmed. Maybe they will release it on DVD?

MartoufMarty
October 24th, 2004, 07:16 AM
Seeing as how they have Season 2 filmed. Maybe they will release it on DVD?
I think they have only 6 episodes filmed or something like that. They should put it out on DVD... :(

DownFallAngel
October 24th, 2004, 07:17 AM
None the less, you should, as a fan, still be able to see them! SORRY FOR STICKING UP FOR YOU! lol

MartoufMarty
October 24th, 2004, 07:24 AM
None the less, you should, as a fan, still be able to see them! SORRY FOR STICKING UP FOR YOU! lol
I agreed with you! :P

I was just pointing out that they were saying there were only 6 episodes filmed...

:(

*goes off to cry*

Lugal
October 24th, 2004, 08:15 AM
Well, that sucks. Just when it was getting good too.
*restrains self from going off on a profanity-laced tirade about FOX, again*

MartoufMarty
October 24th, 2004, 08:28 AM
Well, that sucks. Just when it was getting good too.
*restrains self from going off on a profanity-laced tirade about FOX, again*
There's The Offical 'We're Pissed Off At FOX' Thread somewhere around here.

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=5129

Release your anger.

Madeleine
October 24th, 2004, 10:01 AM
I've edited the initial post, since it seemed to be the entire article posted in full, and there are copyright issues.

(I have to admit it gave me no little pleasure to snip it. Ha ha ha, she's out of a job, serves her right for daring to want anything more than she wanted a Buffy spinoff, hahaha; seemed to be the gist of it :()

Replicarter
October 24th, 2004, 10:14 AM
Crap, i loved tru caling, is there a season 2? we only had season 1 in the uk.

Elwe Singollo
October 24th, 2004, 10:22 AM
Crap, i loved tru caling, is there a season 2? we only had season 1 in the uk.They only filed 6 episodes (like stated above :)) I was 'almost' getting into the show though, oh well, i'll be just as happy if Eliza will do a Faith spin-off, heh.

MartoufMarty
October 24th, 2004, 10:30 AM
That reminds me... I need to get more episodes of Buffy. I've seen only the first four episodes of the show! :(

Anubis
October 24th, 2004, 10:33 AM
All I can say is crap. I was so looking forward to the second season and I'm saddened by the fact that the show has been cancelled. Shame really, since I though it was really good show and I really wanted to know what happened after the season finale.

Elwe Singollo
October 24th, 2004, 10:37 AM
Me too! After i heard some of my favorite writers are comming to Tru Calling, i was getting... whats the word, 'over happy', i don't know :(

Anubis
October 24th, 2004, 10:50 AM
Me too! After i heard some of my favorite writers are comming to Tru Calling, i was getting... whats the word, 'over happy', i don't know :(

Overjoyed perhaps?

puddlejumper747
October 24th, 2004, 11:08 AM
Release your anger.
Yes... :p
"Let the hate flow through you..."
http://www.betweenplanets.com/dingus/sw/lil-zapper.gif

MartoufMarty
October 24th, 2004, 11:17 AM
Yes... :p
"Let the hate flow through you..."
http://www.betweenplanets.com/dingus/sw/lil-zapper.gif
Hehehe that's great!

*zaps the big-wigs at FOX*

Mwhahaha!

Anubis
October 24th, 2004, 11:21 AM
Hehehe that's great!

*zaps the big-wigs at FOX*

Mwhahaha!

If only... :rolleyes:

David85
October 24th, 2004, 12:19 PM
This is one time that Fox should have canceled it sooner.

Replicarter
October 24th, 2004, 12:24 PM
i did not just read that :eek:

Anubis
October 24th, 2004, 12:25 PM
i did not just read that :eek:

You did just read that. And it's a shame too! :(

MartoufMarty
October 24th, 2004, 12:29 PM
This is one time that Fox should have canceled it sooner.
Awww why would you say that?

Madeleine
October 24th, 2004, 02:35 PM
Can anyone set me straight on something? It's cancelled, I know; and I've seen the whole of s1 complete with dangling plot-threads. I heard that the plan was to make a shortened s2. Does the cancellation take effect before they can make s2, or have they actually made it?

DownFallAngel
October 24th, 2004, 02:47 PM
They have shot the first 6 episodes of Season 2. There are no plans to shoot the rest of the season, or air the 6 episodes. Tru Calling is dead.

Madeleine
October 24th, 2004, 02:49 PM
Not air it? I'm stunned. How can it make sense financially to not air something that's already made? Surely even dumping those eps in a graveyard slot would be preferable for Fox than burying them. Or am I missing something? :confused:

DownFallAngel
October 24th, 2004, 02:51 PM
They have no plans to air them. The best idea, shoot the rest of the season, wrap it up, and send it to DVD.

MartoufMarty
October 24th, 2004, 03:13 PM
They better put those episodes out on DVD. It's better than nothing. I would pay for those episodes.

David85
October 24th, 2004, 05:21 PM
Canning it = Good
Not showing episode = Very dumb

puddlejumper747
October 24th, 2004, 05:36 PM
Canning it = Good
Gee, you're sure lucky that you've turned off you reputation!
Not that I would ever do anything to you, but... you know what I mean?
Some certain people might feel the sudden urge to share free "cherry sprinkles" (http://forum.gateworld.net/images/gw_reputation/reputation_neg.gif) with you! :p

David85
October 24th, 2004, 05:47 PM
Sorry, but the show was like CSI with the rtalking dead people being the helpers. It's the same reason why I didn't like John Doe. They can do better.... hahaha.... maybe. Anyways still very dumb not to show the finale episodes for that we can go hit the Fox Ce-"doh!". :)

NightGloom
October 24th, 2004, 05:50 PM
What? That was such a great show! It was a lot better than some of that stuff Fox shows.

David85
October 24th, 2004, 06:37 PM
What? That was such a great show! It was a lot better than some of that stuff Fox shows.

That's like saying "Eat this trash because it's better than the other trash." It's all trash and should be canned.

MartoufMarty
October 24th, 2004, 06:38 PM
Okay, name a show that you don't wanna see canned (besides Stargate stuff).

David85
October 24th, 2004, 06:41 PM
Most of the shows I don't want to be canceled already were.

DownFallAngel
October 24th, 2004, 07:12 PM
Okay, name a show that you don't wanna see canned (besides Stargate stuff).

Enterprise.

Elwe Singollo
October 24th, 2004, 07:16 PM
Well lets see... I don't think the shows i like this year will be getting cancelled, such as Desperate Housewives and Lost, but i'm starting to get into Enterprise again this season, so theres one :( I dont know...

CultTVGirl
October 26th, 2004, 01:03 AM
This sucks!! I love Tru Calling - I really enjoyed season one. I thought the show had huge potential and could have gone in so many different directions. And with the addition of Jason Priestley to the cast, it was really hotting up.

I can't believe it's been cancelled (well, actually, I can - this is Fox after all!). But to re-commission the show for another year and then stop it after only six episodes have been filmed? That's just cruel!

I'm going to miss Davis sooo much! :(

Catysg1
October 26th, 2004, 06:39 AM
:( I really liked tru calling ...I thought they had some good ratings for a first season!!!!!!I also thought they filmed season 2 !!!!!!This show had lots of potential ...It was full of action and the stories were really good ;) I am sad they cancelled it :(

Caty.

yaaayoubetcha
October 26th, 2004, 06:46 AM
i'm apparently in the minority in not being heartbroken of the cancellation of this show.....

really....it was repetative to the extreme (great concept bad execution) and the addition of Jason Priestly's character while interesting, smacked of desperation.....

i'm not sad to see the show go....but i'm sad to see her go.....but i love to see her walk away.......

aAnubiSs
October 26th, 2004, 08:49 AM
I liked tru Calling, then again Eliza is such a wonderful actress :)

Lets hope she does a Faith: The Vampire Slayer now :)

Replicarter
October 26th, 2004, 11:19 AM
I never read much into the faith vamp thing, is it just fan hope, or was/is there a good chance of getting a spin off?

aAnubiSs
October 26th, 2004, 11:28 AM
They offered her a spin-off but she wanted to do something else (tru Calling)

Hope they add Spike, Illyria/Fred, Andrew (they are interested in doing more) to the show :)

Replicarter
October 26th, 2004, 01:57 PM
Oh, i dident think they actualy asked her if she wanted a spin off. well that is exiting news :D i hope she does take it, and i also agree Illyria should be in it, i think she is cool.

Elwe Singollo
October 26th, 2004, 02:21 PM
Ouch, better hope Joss will come back to TV then because he is getting out of TV for a while :( NO-! :(

And yaaayoubetcha, ur not the only one in the minority :)

Xenan
October 27th, 2004, 05:52 AM
WB wants to restart Angel again, apparently, but the cast has moved on, so maybe faith the vampire slayer will have a chance :D

Replicarter
October 27th, 2004, 06:03 AM
they want to start it again? after they cancel it? pft. its there own fault, but faith would be better.

Xenan
October 27th, 2004, 06:10 AM
You can read it here: http://www.cinescape.com/0/editorial.asp?a...55&obj_id=42759 (http://www.cinescape.com/0/editorial.asp?aff_id=0&this_cat=Television&action=page&type_id=&cat_id=270355&obj_id=42759)

aAnubiSs
October 27th, 2004, 09:00 AM
WB wanted to restart Angel a few months after the cancelled it, but their mistake, their (and our!) loss.

Elwe Singollo
November 7th, 2004, 01:49 AM
WB wanted to restart Angel a few months after the cancelled it, but their mistake, their (and our!) loss.I know !!! :( But i think WB will regret that forever now :) Haha... D-mn the WB to hell :)

TechnoBoY
November 7th, 2004, 06:39 AM
Is Tru Calling moving to the WB?
Posted on Tue, 5-Oct-2004

Those ex-Sunnydalers don't have much luck do they?

Whisper has it that FOX might be done with Eliza Dushku's popular series "Tru Calling, with a report at E Online suggesting that it's being pitched to the WB. Ironically, the WB network was the first home of "Buffy", the series Dusku originally starred in.

The series, which co-stars Jason Priestley, was scheduled to debut its second season Nov. 4, but FOX decided to yank it at the last minute - saying they'll bring it back later.

From the sounds of it, FOX aren't very interested in the series. Which could mean a 'win win' for the WB (a network in need of another hit).

Good news for Australian viewers. The show returns tonight (Ch.7) after being prematurely yanked after only a couple of episodes earlier in the year.

http://www.moviehole.net/news/4301.html

Elwe Singollo
November 7th, 2004, 10:21 AM
Those ex-Sunnydalers don't have much luck do they?

From the sounds of it, FOX aren't very interested in the series. Which could mean a 'win win' for the WB (a network in need of another hit).

http://www.moviehole.net/news/4301.htmlI wouldn't think its a win-win for the WB, since it wasn't even much of a hit on Fox, so what would make it a hit on the WB, unless the WB keeps its viewers in which Fox had watching Tru Calling, then maybe.

Also, the 'ex-sunnydalers' part, was it aimed at Eliza only? Because i can named a few that has succeeded, quite well life after sunnydale :)

Vapor
November 7th, 2004, 11:52 AM
Another one bites the dust... :(

My friend is going to be furious when he hears this.

Larry
November 8th, 2004, 09:48 AM
After the news that Joss Whedon asked to be let out of his contract to develop shows for Fox, I'd say that any chance of more Angel is completely dead now. As for Eliza and a Faith the Vampire Slayer spin-off of Buffy, I think that was Joss's idea as BtVS was coming to an end, but once Eliza commited to Tru Calling, that idea died as well. I wish Joss well in feature films, and maybe he'll come back to TV someday. I'd love for the Buffyverse to be reserected, but it sure doesn't look like it will be.

Elwe Singollo
November 9th, 2004, 09:49 PM
I know, Buffyverse :( But hey, i'll be happy if Joss Whedon gets an emmy or two doing his movies, then he can settle down with a tv show :)

michelleb
November 10th, 2004, 05:22 AM
This is such bad news, I didn't like Tru Calling at first, but I loved it by the end of the first series. I was really looking forward to more.

Larry
November 10th, 2004, 07:21 AM
Ya, Tru didn't grab me at first either. It was the "spooky dead person" of the week, and the show's structure didn't make much sence. But, as the season progressed, they started creating their own mythology, to borrow a term from the X-Files. Now, just as things were really getting good, Fox pulls the plug. Way to go Fox. I had very little hope for the show before it first aired due to the time slot that Fox hung it with. Then it seemed like Fox was really committed to giving Tru a chance even though ratings weren't terrific. They announced it was renewed for 04-05, then they pull this crap. Talk about a bag full of mixed signals. Makes you wonder if the Fox execs are sitting around their boardroom table checking tea leaves or chicken entrails trying to decide to what to do. It's bogus thats for sure. I wish Eliza the best. I hope she gets some decent film roles. Hopefully, no more cheerleader or slasher flics. More stuff like City by the Sea.

DownFallAngel
January 18th, 2005, 12:37 PM
Tru Calling still alive?

Check out the article here:

http://www.scifi.com/scifiwire2005/index.php?category=0&id=30207

Manic
January 18th, 2005, 05:25 PM
FOX-- the network that will air 2 or 3 similar reality shows at the same time, but drops one supernatural drama when a shinier one catches their eye.

I stand by my theory that Point Pleasant will fail, though. It'll probably be a really good show, but get cancelled before it can get to a second season. FOX will then release it on DVD, and proceed to make money off of it, anyway.

Elwe Singollo
January 18th, 2005, 07:40 PM
FOX-- the network that will air 2 or 3 similar reality shows at the same time, but drops one supernatural drama when a shinier one catches their eye.

I stand by my theory that Point Pleasant will fail, though. It'll probably be a really good show, but get cancelled before it can get to a second season. FOX will then release it on DVD, and proceed to make money off of it, anyway.Unless it retains it ratings that it gets from the American Idol lead-in, but we all know ratings go down...

But i too think it'll fail in the ratings... :(

AnUbIs2004
January 19th, 2005, 09:00 AM
Two comments I want to make here:

1.) Although I feel bad for those that liked this show a lot, I have to say I am
not the least bit surprised it was canceled. Actually, I am amazed it last as
long as it did. The whole concept of the show just did not seem enough for an
entire series. This would work great as a 2 hour movie, or even a 1 hour Outer
Limits episode, but as a series this got repetitive. Same as John Doe, story was
interesting, but it got old after a while. Much of this is the fault of the
writers and producers for not being creative enough to add elements so the story
is not two dimensional

2.) As for WB wanting Angel back. This is the first I heard this. Pretty funny
to see the 'cast' has moved on? What are these people smoking? I liked this
one the best- "David Boreanaz is solid-booked with films". What a bunch of low
grade B-movies? Please, someone point out to these folks to get their heads back
to earth. I think they all have Shelly Long syndrome. One thing I have like
about the cast of Stargate, although the only character to really leave was MS,
and he did that for creative reasons, and not under the belief he was going to
go off and become a box office hit at the theaters.

Larry
January 21st, 2005, 12:09 PM
The Tru Calling rumor fest was finally cleared up. New Fox boss Gail Berman stated that the show was offically dead, but that Fox would do something with the six episodes shot before Fox pulled the plug. Berman's comments can be found here:

http://scifi.com/scifiwire2005/index.php?id=30207

MartoufMarty
January 21st, 2005, 01:12 PM
The Tru Calling rumor fest was finally cleared up. New Fox boss Gail Berman stated that the show was offically dead, but that Fox would do something with the six episodes shot before Fox pulled the plug. Berman's comments can be found here:

*******s. :mad:

Nikkirose
January 21st, 2005, 02:59 PM

I'm in agreement with MartoufMarty, &*@#$% ! Btw love love your avatar MM! The show was getting good with the addition of J.P.'s character! Grrrr to Fox!

MartoufMarty
January 21st, 2005, 03:03 PM
I'm in agreement with MartoufMarty, &*@#$% ! Btw love love your avatar MM! The show was getting good with the addition of J.P.'s character! Grrrr to Fox!
Hey, thanks :D

I got a bunch of other Angel avatars in a thread somewhere around here :D

I loved the whole thing with Jack being the sort of bad guy. He was cool and a little creepy. Great addition indeed lol.

daxiel2
January 22nd, 2005, 03:19 AM
Why would they do this, but I do hope they still show the 6 episodes that they did actually film.

MartoufMarty
January 22nd, 2005, 06:29 AM
Why would they do this, but I do hope they still show the 6 episodes that they did actually film.
They could put those 6 episodes on some cheap little DVD(s) and sell them. I'd buy them.

cajunhillbilly
January 24th, 2005, 08:24 AM
Perhaps they will put them on during the summer, when everything is a repeat anyway. :) ;)

Elwe Singollo
January 24th, 2005, 09:12 AM
Perhaps they will put them on during the summer, when everything is a repeat anyway. :) ;)Thats what i thought would be a good idea, but i'm not sure since Fox does have original programming all year around, and maybe that little excuse will make Fox not air them...

Larry
January 24th, 2005, 10:07 AM
My guess is that they will do one of two things with the six episdoes. One, they will run them when they need to use up a month and a half in some timeslot somewhere. Guess number two. Put out a Tru Calling "special edition" dvd set, including these six episodes. I think they will do that in either case. I doubt very serioulsy that Fox would put out a DVD set with the six episodes. They'll want to make everybody that bought the original Tru set to go out and buy it again.

LouisaB
January 29th, 2005, 09:11 AM
I only tuned into three new shows from the US last year and they have all been cancelled. This was one of them. Dead Like Me was another although I am still hoping series two will be shown over here so am avoiding that thread in case of spoilers.

The six episodes of series two of Tru Calling are going to be shown in New Zealand as soon as they have finished showing series one. Which means they might show them elsewhere too. I am hoping they do see the light of day in the UK eventually. We are still waiting for the DVDs of season one so I am hoping perhaps they will be included on that.

I see a comment or two in this thread about the show being repetitive. I agree to a certain extent it was but would say that so was the first series of Buffy. It was, to coin a phrase, a freak of the week show. But it had potential. I think that Tru Calling had it too.

Tru Calling lost a lot of viewers in taking too long to get to the good story arcs (her parents' story and Jack etc) but I do think that it had a lot of potential. It might not have been fresh enough to make it to a third series (it would depend on what was in the second one) but I think what annoys me the most is that the series will never have its loose ends tied up.

It might have stood better if Jack had been introduced sooner than he was and the arc which was left hanging at the end of the first series had been resolved in the series.

This is just the latest in a long list of shows I have watched that have been cancelled before they have really begun. Considering the trend has been like it is for some time I am astonished they keep leaving first series of shows with cliffhangers.

I think it says it all when a new show (Point Pleasant) started this week in the UK and although the advert looked interesting I decided not to bother watching because of a firm belief that it too will bite the dust before the second series. And no doubt it will also be a show that leaves viewers dangling with its final episode.

Elwe Singollo
January 29th, 2005, 09:32 AM
According to http://www.slayerverse.net/tanet/net_buffy_us/index.php?navi=news.php&id=17571&PHPSESSID=b9f4b50f775014659446765b0b682597, New Zealand will be airing the unaired S2 episodes.

Elwe Singollo
February 6th, 2005, 09:08 AM
I just saw the second season premiere, its really interesting, although i'm a bit 'gah' on Eliza's loosing voice in the episode, its all screechy.

Then i got the headache of the argument 'people are supposed to die', 'people are supposed to live'.

The Opening Credits is new too :) Sad though, i didn't see Lindsay anywhere, i guess they were really going to cut her out of the show and be with her husband :(

The only people left are Eliza Dushku, Zach Galifianakis, Shawn Reaves, and Jason Priestley.

MartoufMarty
February 6th, 2005, 09:11 AM
I just saw the second season premiere, its really interesting, although i'm a bit 'gah' on Eliza's loosing voice in the episode, its all screechy.

Then i got the headache of the argument 'people are supposed to die', 'people are supposed to live'.

The Opening Credits is new too :) Sad though, i didn't see Lindsay anywhere, i guess they were really going to cut her out of the show and be with her husband :(

The only people left are Eliza Dushku, Zach Galifianakis, Shawn Reaves, and Jason Priestley.
Oooh, really?

Must... go...

... Acquire...

Elwe Singollo
February 6th, 2005, 09:34 AM
You can see the opening credits at:
http://www.slayerverse.net/tanet/net_buffy_us/index.php?navi=news.php&id=17936

MartoufMarty
February 6th, 2005, 09:38 AM
You can see the opening credits at:
http://www.slayerverse.net/tanet/net_buffy_us/index.php?navi=news.php&id=17936
Was just there a few minutes ago and watched them.

Eliza looks really good in that end shot wearing that turtle-neck.

Albion
February 8th, 2005, 04:51 AM
This one never struck a chord with me, but I think that was more to do with me than the show. And I thought it had great potential. It was also nice to see Eliza getting some well-deserved success. So, sad that this has been pulled before it got a chance to shine.

Albion :)

Elwe Singollo
February 26th, 2005, 10:36 PM
If Season 2 started as S1, i would have totally loved the show from the beginning. The recent s2 episode that aired, 'Last Good Day' where a girl asks Jack for help, i totally loved it, especially since Jack's character was more of the main character in the episode, made me sad a bit though...:(

LouisaB
March 26th, 2005, 03:19 AM
I suspect you may all already know this but just in case....

If there are fans of the show here who have not seen the episodes yet and are in the US the six second season episodes are going to be airing from this coming week.

The first two shows are being aired back to back on Thursday 31 March. Go check the official Fox schedule if you don't believe me.

Most fans are hoping for a lot of viewers so that Fox may reconsider its decision and bring back the show. I doubt it myself but I think the episodes are all well worth watching again anyway and I think when it comes to axed and cancelled shows coming back a miracle is long overdue.

Elwe Singollo
March 27th, 2005, 12:24 PM
I sadly doubt it too, even with that one time after American Idol as a Lead-Out, Tru Calling didn't really bring up the ratings like House is doing.