PDA

View Full Version : A Sytem Lord movie? Prequal

Chaos18
March 15th, 2008, 07:11 AM
I was thinking Stargate SG1 was always about the Goauld etc..

and the story of the systems Lord i really like.

I really liked Sokar and all that and ive always wondered wat happened when Sokar and Yu were in battle or the famous story of all the Sytem Lords vs Anubis etc... etc..

Now would it be cool if Stargate does a prequal direct to DVD movie about the System Lords? but before the First Movie of Stargate SG1?

They could show how RA rose to power the battles he had with Aphophis with Sokar with Yu with Ba al ................................

Daniel Jackson
March 15th, 2008, 07:49 AM
I think the best we'd see is a movie or mini-series about Earth's rebellion against Ra and the burrying of the Stargate. It's unlikely, but it could work.

Chaos18
March 15th, 2008, 07:59 AM
yeh but the thing is we had a 2 part episode of the rebellion on earth against Ra.

I would like to have a prequal and show stories of System Lord battles and the famous one that all the System Lord battle anubis and other conflicts.

It could be a spin -off / prequal

Daniel Jackson
March 15th, 2008, 08:26 AM
"Moebius" wasn't about the rebellion, it was about time travel. Part of the episodes were set during the time before the rebellion, but the actual rebellion itself was never shown. This leaves room to explore it in a movie.

I don't think anyone cares enough about the System Lords to see a prequel movie. People want to see movies based on SG-1 or SG:A.

jenks
March 15th, 2008, 11:15 AM
The writers don't like prequels, so I doubt we'll be getting one of those, thankfully imo. I think it was Rob Cooper who said something like "I don't see how prequels can work, and I don't understand people who do".

Mitchell82
March 15th, 2008, 02:02 PM
The writers don't like prequels, so I doubt we'll be getting one of those, thankfully imo. I think it was Rob Cooper who said something like "I don't see how prequels can work, and I don't understand people who do".

Prequels are iffy at best because continuity can get all screwy. If we had a story involving the System Lords of the past it would have to be a time travel or AU story to keep the interest of fans and involve SG-1.

dragos
March 15th, 2008, 03:08 PM
Dont know actually how interesting the rebellion agains Ra would be tho, for starters we know he leaves and the gate gets buried and that SG1 provided help, which means that the basic ending of the film would already be known. Or is it just me....

Mitchell82
March 15th, 2008, 03:19 PM
Dont know actually how interesting the rebellion agains Ra would be tho, for starters we know he leaves and the gate gets buried and that SG1 provided help, which means that the basic ending of the film would already be known. Or is it just me....

No you're right on that one. A story maybe involving Anubis's "crimes" could work. Jacob said his crimes were unspeakable even to the Goa'uld. That could be interesting.

dragos
March 15th, 2008, 03:27 PM
No you're right on that one. A story maybe involving Anubis's "crimes" could work. Jacob said his crimes were unspeakable even to the Goa'uld. That could be interesting.

Oh Yes now that would be of great interest, there would sure be some very cool things they could do with that me thinks!! Especially if they are bad in comparason to the Goa'uld.

Could maybe finish it off by showing the ways Anubis actually tricks his way into ascension...

TOIVA
March 15th, 2008, 03:52 PM
Yes, that could be interesting, if done properly, as well as Asgard history would be.;)

Mitchell82
March 15th, 2008, 06:38 PM
Oh Yes now that would be of great interest, there would sure be some very cool things they could do with that me thinks!! Especially if they are bad in comparason to the Goa'uld.

Could maybe finish it off by showing the ways Anubis actually tricks his way into ascension...

:indeed: Especially to see more of http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t63/gatefan7882/vlcsnap-3729017.png

kymeric
March 16th, 2008, 09:12 PM
They should really stick to the formula of the series and what made it great before going off on weird tangents. I dont wanna see a 'jasonX' of the stargate franchise. Maybe once sg1 is too old or the actors arent interested in reprising their roles in 10 more yrs or something....

jenks
March 16th, 2008, 09:15 PM
Indeed. Go off world, get in trouble, get out of trouble, go home. Works for me. :)

kymeric
March 17th, 2008, 08:24 PM
And they have to be big, no st:inssurection stories that dont matter.

shipper hannah
March 18th, 2008, 05:01 PM
a system lord movie would be ridiculous without something to anchor it in reality like stargate has.

maylet
March 19th, 2008, 04:04 AM

I really liked Sokar and all that and ive always wondered wat happened when Sokar and Yu were in battle or the famous story of all the Sytem Lords vs Anubis etc... etc..

Now would it be cool if Stargate does a prequal direct to DVD movie about the System Lords? but before the First Movie of Stargate SG1?

They could show how RA rose to power the battles he had with Aphophis with Sokar with Yu with Ba al ................................

It would be cool

Theimmortaljedi
March 20th, 2008, 09:46 AM
Prequels are iffy at best because continuity can get all screwy. If we had a story involving the System Lords of the past it would have to be a time travel or AU story to keep the interest of fans and involve SG-1.

I like this idea. I would so buy it. See the past while while in the present.

kymeric
March 20th, 2008, 11:08 AM

I like this idea. I would so buy it. See the past while while in the present.

We have alternate SG1 from moebeus in the past at the time of the heigth of systemlord power.... Alternate tealcs prolly dead from his symbiote maturing, alternate jack and sam are prolly off shaggin and daniel whos a temporal copy of pre moebeus daniel is still there. Could see them go thru the antartica gate, or dig up the giza gate for one use to go screw with the ancient guaould or something?

Aerilon
March 25th, 2008, 06:51 AM
The writers don't like prequels, so I doubt we'll be getting one of those, thankfully imo. I think it was Rob Cooper who said something like "I don't see how prequels can work, and I don't understand people who do".I think the folks doing Star Trek should take a leaf out of this guys book.

Mister Oragahn
March 28th, 2008, 07:51 AM
It could be good, but not with the hackers penning those "scripts" atm.

Besides, it requires much more construction and brainstorming to come with a story that makes sense than what people usually think, notably because Ra's departure is one of the biggest WTFs in Stargate, and the Moebius explanation hardly qualifies as making sense if you think that a bunch if primitives armed with staves was enough to threaten the Supreme System Lord.

delrey
March 28th, 2008, 09:55 AM
For these direct to dvd movies to keep happening requires that they make lots of money, because mgm has to see it has something that will be profitable, there not simply going to throw the fans a bone. And i doubt that sales for such a storyline would be even close to AOT or what Continium will be, as you wouldnt be able to include the main reason why sg1 was popular, its cast. They could make it a time travel thing to include the cast but then its a copy of Continium. Would be interesting and i would watch it, but i dont see the money being there for it too happen. Many of the B5 movies( i own all of them) were crap and i think hurt any chances for it. We dont want that to happen to sg.

Mitchell82
March 28th, 2008, 05:59 PM
For these direct to dvd movies to keep happening requires that they make lots of money, because mgm has to see it has something that will be profitable, there not simply going to throw the fans a bone. And i doubt that sales for such a storyline would be even close to AOT or what Continium will be, as you wouldnt be able to include the main reason why sg1 was popular, its cast. They could make it a time travel thing to include the cast but then its a copy of Continium. Would be interesting and i would watch it, but i dont see the money being there for it too happen. Many of the B5 movies( i own all of them) were crap and i think hurt any chances for it. We dont want that to happen to sg.
Agreed. Please don't let these movies turn into what B5's did.

Mister Oragahn
March 29th, 2008, 08:53 AM
Ha. Ha. Ha. They've already started pretty badly.

Mitchell82
March 29th, 2008, 12:48 PM
Ha. Ha. Ha. They've already started pretty badly.

In your opinion.

TOIVA
March 29th, 2008, 04:37 PM
It was not so bad start, but I hope they continue on a better wave.

Daniel Jackson
April 2nd, 2008, 08:36 AM
The closest ya'll will get to a prequel movie set during Ra's reign on Earth is "Moebius, Parts 1 & 2." The people making the movies have zero interest in doing prequels, and since "Moebius" already sent SG-1 back in time to Ancient Egypt when Ra was still around, don't expect it to happen again as it'd just be redundant.

Mitchell82
April 2nd, 2008, 12:43 PM
The closest ya'll will get to a prequel movie set during Ra's reign on Earth is "Moebius, Parts 1 & 2." The people making the movies have zero interest in doing prequels, and since "Moebius" already sent SG-1 back in time to Ancient Egypt when Ra was still around, don't expect it to happen again as it'd just be redundant.

Agreed though I'd love one about the Ancients.

TOIVA
April 4th, 2008, 03:48 PM
Agreed though I'd love one about the Ancients.
What about "Before I Sleep"?

Mitchell82
April 4th, 2008, 04:22 PM
What about "Before I Sleep"?

Great ep which is why I want more of them.

Coco Pops
April 5th, 2008, 04:14 AM
It could be good, but not with the hackers penning those "scripts" atm.

Besides, it requires much more construction and brainstorming to come with a story that makes sense than what people usually think, notably because Ra's departure is one of the biggest WTFs in Stargate, and the Moebius explanation hardly qualifies as making sense if you think that a bunch if primitives armed with staves was enough to threaten the Supreme System Lord.

I VIEW THE ORIGINAL MOVIE AS CANON and without that movie we would never have the TV series..

That movie clearly states that Ra was defeated.... And I'd love it if someone knows exactly how many guards he had onboard the ship. He only had two gliders so that's two positions that can't be filled once they are launched.

Ra was a pussy.... As soon as all these people start coming over the sand hills he packs his bat and ball up and starts to run away. Hardly a supreme system lord.........

jenks
April 5th, 2008, 07:55 AM
I VIEW THE ORIGINAL MOVIE AS CANON and without that movie we would never have the TV series..

That movie clearly states that Ra was defeated.... And I'd love it if someone knows exactly how many guards he had onboard the ship. He only had two gliders so that's two positions that can't be filled once they are launched.

Ra was a pussy.... As soon as all these people start coming over the sand hills he packs his bat and ball up and starts to run away. Hardly a supreme system lord.........

What else is he going to do, stand there and get beaten to death?

Mitchell82
April 5th, 2008, 10:57 AM

:lol: Good point.

Forseti
April 5th, 2008, 01:17 PM
I would really like some Stargate movies *hides from SG-1 fanatics* that don't have the original Stargate characters. I want something set in the past, expanding on the lore behind the System Lords, the Nox, the Asgard, the Tollan, something. I'm actually a bit saddened by the whole continuing through SG-1 movies rather than expanding the lore.

Daniel Jackson
April 5th, 2008, 01:38 PM
People don't care about the lore, they want to see the SG-1 team. That is why they are making SG-1 movies.

Coco Pops
April 5th, 2008, 06:31 PM

Ah........ But he's a "god" so he could have used his awesome powers to stun and mystify the crowd.

Then maybe he could stand around and get beaten up, if there were still unbelievers. :) I didn't much care for Ra anyway. He was too girly...

But my first question was serious. Anyone know what a probable full compliment of guards and gliders Ra had on his ship?

Mister Oragahn
April 8th, 2008, 11:51 AM
People don't care about the lore, they want to see the SG-1 team. That is why they are making SG-1 movies.

The hell. The SG-1 team is gone since a long time. RDA is a granny and got bored of the show, Daniel Jackson spends his times being blasé, shooting guns and weapons of mass destruction, Carter is over done, painful to watch, was the weakest member of the team and couldn't get a grade right, and Teal'c... well, they had to strap that horrible grey band on the side of his hairs. Other than that, he's not changed much, and the interesting aspect about him gaining power is totally ignored.
Mitchell is boring, Browder never really felt like SG-1 (much less than Nemec) and Vala makes the show poor, irritating, over the top and unrealistic military wise. The writers didn't seem to understand the difference between the shy characters of Daniel and Teal'c, and their importance, and the Sex and the City Vala gal.

Hell, they even want to alter the initial pilot, to "unsuck" it. They're just doing a Lucas there.

chevron3
April 16th, 2008, 09:35 AM

i like the idea. it would be pretty cool 2 c more Goa'uld history. As 4 a movie or anything like that, don't c it happening

coldmachine
April 16th, 2008, 04:46 PM
The hell. The SG-1 team is gone since a long time. RDA is a granny and got bored of the show, Daniel Jackson spends his times being blasé, shooting guns and weapons of mass destruction, Carter is over done, painful to watch, was the weakest member of the team and couldn't get a grade right, and Teal'c... well, they had to strap that horrible grey band on the side of his hairs. Other than that, he's not changed much, and the interesting aspect about him gaining power is totally ignored.
Mitchell is boring, Browder never really felt like SG-1 (much less than Nemec) and Vala makes the show poor, irritating, over the top and unrealistic military wise. The writers didn't seem to understand the difference between the shy characters of Daniel and Teal'c, and their importance, and the Sex and the City Vala gal.

Hell, they even want to alter the initial pilot, to "unsuck" it. They're just doing a Lucas there.

I agree with NOTHING you had to say EXCEPT for them "remaking" the pilot episode. If anything, make it with 5. 1 surround sound, along with the rest of season 1!! I loved seasons 9 and 10. Beachhead is probably my favorite episode.

matta
April 22nd, 2008, 06:47 AM
I think the idea of a prequal movie/series of how the system lords came to be a very valid idea.

I would like to know how the system lords came to be, there struggles for power and right up to the point when they claimed themselves to be gods and seeded humans on the many planets.

Mitchell82
April 22nd, 2008, 10:48 AM
I agree with NOTHING you had to say EXCEPT for them "remaking" the pilot episode. If anything, make it with 5. 1 surround sound, along with the rest of season 1!! I loved seasons 9 and 10. Beachhead is probably my favorite episode.

I agree. They aren't remaking the pilot however. They are simply touching up the special effects, toning down the nude scene, reworking the music and adding a deleted scene in.

Mister Oragahn
April 22nd, 2008, 04:42 PM

Beach is my one of my faves of this season as well, but I could easily live without it if the last two seasons of SG-1 and that turdfest of AoT had to be erased for good.
I'm amazed how some people are in denial, as to really miss the completely over the top introductions made later on, while the quality went down by several notches.
Oh sure, you had your load of VFX, but they hardly masked the considerably growing failures of the show (rehashes, absurd conclusions, abuse of twists, over reliance on so many convenient solutions - beaming, super magic devices, DEMs - no challenge in writing, no team chemistry - completely made up BS with Mitchell acting like he was SG-1's biggest fan, jeez).
Seriously, they should have ended it on a high note around season 7, or maybe season 8 at best, no matter the near "is RDA playing or not" fiasco, because more is not synonym of quality.
I'd buy a DVD box set with 8 first seasons eyes shut. But the latest SG-1 stuff literally put a stop to that frienzy, up to the point where I'm not even finding the will to buy season 8.

I really don't get how some fans can't see how Vala is a character which is straight out of a mixer which Sex and the City and Desperate Housewives have been put into, with a good pinch of bad writing and a whle bag of sexual innuendo. Yay for shipping.
Carter's sobbings have never been so over done and abused than in s9 an s10.
The Ori arc was always castrated, and maintained in place by absurd plot rules, which had almost no chance to end right. They never made it any justice. If anything, the Ori arc would have been better with a miniseries and a real final showdown, not some half baked cheat.
Mitchell, just as much as Sheppard, are supposed to be as cool as O'neill, with that slight touch of Han Solo in them.
S9 and s10 brought us absolutely boring episodes, and though season 7 did so as well with unwarranted crap like Citizen Joe for example (who frakin cares about Simpson hommages now? you're supposed to make good stories, not embarassing fillers), I think then would have been a good time to stop the hemorrhage.
I mean, even with my family, we did watch season 7, because it had very good episodes in it, and managed to balance out those rolleyeing moments. Season 8 was really getting awfully cheesy (and seriously, I can't remember Tapping acting so badly as when she's fiddling the ancient device on Dakara and making a comment on blowing up suns... man, that was hard to stomach, it really sucked).

Seriously, the SG-1 franchise should have ended before S9. There's been good stuff in those last two seasons, but itself, that amount doesn't pay for the rest of the craptor.
They tried to stretch it, milk it, make it the longest running SF show vs Trek, whatever... it was absurd.
As often, it just hurt the baby.

I've seen so many fans of the classic era who have turned their heels, and there's an equal amount of new heads here and there, like a a surprise, largely being in favour of the new Stargate.
You can check around. Many old fans I was used to talk with, or who wandered on SG forums, are now either gone or returning again and again, like abused spouses, but not having hope at all, and not willing to spend a penny in that franchise anymore. A bit like me actually, but I spend much of my time slashing TPTB than praising their work.

I say frak that. You newbies had your time, ok, now it's done. I want old quality Stargate back. Not the old cast, but a well cemented cast, one that makes sense, plus a fresh perspective, a real artistic vision, more originality and intelligence.

Fire half the head honchos if needs to be, get on another network which doesn't try to torpedo your show because it's in opposition with BSG.
Please, stop trying to milk the zombie cow, it's infect.

Mitchell82
April 22nd, 2008, 06:02 PM
Beach is my one of my faves of this season as well, but I could easily live without it if the last two seasons of SG-1 and that turdfest of AoT had to be erased for good.
I'm amazed how some people are in denial, as to really miss the completely over the top introductions made later on, while the quality went down by several notches.
Oh sure, you had your load of VFX, but they hardly masked the considerably growing failures of the show (rehashes, absurd conclusions, abuse of twists, over reliance on so many convenient solutions - beaming, super magic devices, DEMs - no challenge in writing, no team chemistry - completely made up BS with Mitchell acting like he was SG-1's biggest fan, jeez).
That is your opinion not everyones. It's not denial because those that disagree with you like it and you don't. Accept that your opinion is just that an opinion.

Seriously, they should have ended it on a high note around season 7, or maybe season 8 at best, no matter the near "is RDA playing or not" fiasco, because more is not synonym of quality.
I'd buy a DVD box set with 8 first seasons eyes shut. But the latest SG-1 stuff literally put a stop to that frienzy, up to the point where I'm not even finding the will to buy season 8.
Season 7 was great as was season 8 and I was as unsure as everyone else about the new direction of seasons 9 and 10 but was pleasantly surprised.

I really don't get how some fans can't see how Vala is a character which is straight out of a mixer which Sex and the City and Desperate Housewives have been put into, with a good pinch of bad writing and a whle bag of sexual innuendo. Yay for shipping.
And I don't get how you can't realize that this is an opinion not fact yet you keep making it seem like fact. Not everyone agrees so get over it.

Carter's sobbings have never been so over done and abused than in s9 an s10.
What? I don't recall one single moment that anything was overdone with Carter.

The Ori arc was always castrated, and maintained in place by absurd plot rules, which had almost no chance to end right. They never made it any justice. If anything, the Ori arc would have been better with a miniseries and a real final showdown, not some half baked cheat.
I disagree. I thought the Ori was a great idea and excuted very well.

Mitchell, just as much as Sheppard, are supposed to be as cool as O'neill, with that slight touch of Han Solo in them.
S9 and s10 brought us absolutely boring episodes, and though season 7 did so as well with unwarranted crap like Citizen Joe for example (who frakin cares about Simpson hommages now? you're supposed to make good stories, not embarassing fillers), I think then would have been a good time to stop the hemorrhage.
I mean, even with my family, we did watch season 7, because it had very good episodes in it, and managed to balance out those rolleyeing moments.
In your opinion not mine.

Season 8 was really getting awfully cheesy (and seriously, I can't remember Tapping acting so badly as when she's fiddling the ancient device on Dakara and making a comment on blowing up suns... man, that was hard to stomach, it really sucked).
Really? IMO that was a great line.

Seriously, the SG-1 franchise should have ended before S9. There's been good stuff in those last two seasons, but itself, that amount doesn't pay for the rest of the craptor.
They tried to stretch it, milk it, make it the longest running SF show vs Trek, whatever... it was absurd.
As often, it just hurt the baby.
Nope not IMO.

I've seen so many fans of the classic era who have turned their heels, and there's an equal amount of new heads here and there, like a a surprise, largely being in favour of the new Stargate.
You can check around. Many old fans I was used to talk with, or who wandered on SG forums, are now either gone or returning again and again, like abused spouses, but not having hope at all, and not willing to spend a penny in that franchise anymore. A bit like me actually, but I spend much of my time slashing TPTB than praising their work.
And I've seen just as many who loved seasons 9 and 10.

I say frak that. You newbies had your time, ok, now it's done. I want old quality Stargate back. Not the old cast, but a well cemented cast, one that makes sense, plus a fresh perspective, a real artistic vision, more originality and intelligence.

Fire half the head honchos if needs to be, get on another network which doesn't try to torpedo your show because it's in opposition with BSG.
Please, stop trying to milk the zombie cow, it's infect.

Look man I'm not a newb by a long shot and I loved seasons 9 and 10. Get off your damn high horse and realize that your opinion is just that an opinion. Stop trying to make your opinion fact.

Mister Oragahn
April 23rd, 2008, 08:00 AM
Yes, M82, that is only my opinion. I still think it's better than your though.

Mitchell82
April 23rd, 2008, 06:05 PM
Yes, M82, that is only my opinion. I still think it's better than your though.

My opinion is no better than yours. Just because you think you are right does not make your opinion better than mine.

Mister Oragahn
April 24th, 2008, 09:41 AM
My opinion is no better than yours. Just because you think you are right does not make your opinion better than mine.

My opinion is that my opinion is better than yours.
You have curious standards if you've been following the show from a long time and not seen it get weaker. It's something called criticism, which many fans over here are obviously not bothered to understand.

jenks
April 24th, 2008, 10:08 AM
The show is entertainment, how good or weak it is is an entirely subjective question, what about that can't you understand?

Mitchell82
April 25th, 2008, 09:50 AM
My opinion is that my opinion is better than yours.
You have curious standards if you've been following the show from a long time and not seen it get weaker. It's something called criticism, which many fans over here are obviously not bothered to understand.
I have followed the show from the beginning and I have not seen it getting weaker neither with SG-1 or Atlantis. I have never said I have not seen things about the show I didn't like. I wasn't a fan of Daniel leaving or Jonas coming or RDA leaving and Ben Browder coming on but in both occasions I gave it a shot and was very surprised with the outcome. Again the quality of the show is in the eye of the beholder how can you not get that through your head?

Mister Oragahn
April 25th, 2008, 06:26 PM
I have followed the show from the beginning and I have not seen it getting weaker neither with SG-1 or Atlantis.

Well, then you have very low standards. I understand that I'm being very harsh on Stargate lately, but you're being absolutely blind and showing an impressive lack of criticism.
Maybe you should look around, compare and wonder how Stargate does against the competition, not in terms of popularity, but in terms of quality.

Mister Oragahn
April 25th, 2008, 06:29 PM
The show is entertainment, how good or weak it is is an entirely subjective question, what about that can't you understand?

It's totally subjective, but my subjectivity, my tastes, are defined by a threshold.
This threshold hasn't changed much, it's the same standard upon which I judge the quality of professional content delivered to the audience.
Based on evaluation from this constant, I can see what rates above and what rates below that bar, and, oh surprise, I can see that old SG-1 rates above the bar far more often than new SG-1.
See, subjective is absolutely irrelevant, because I don't change standards.

jenks
April 26th, 2008, 03:33 AM
It's totally subjective, but my subjectivity, my tastes, are defined by a threshold.
This threshold hasn't changed much, it's the same standard upon which I judge the quality of professional content delivered to the audience.
Based on evaluation from this constant, I can see what rates above and what rates below that bar, and, oh surprise, I can see that old SG-1 rates above the bar far more often than new SG-1.
See, subjective is absolutely irrelevant, because I don't change standards.

People like shows for different reasons, there's no 'one size fits all' set of standards that everyone judges shows by. Are you really so arrogant as to believe that just because you think the show has dropped in quality, that everyone else who thinks hasn't is either deluding themselves or just lowering their standards? Because I for one have seen a sharp rise in quality in season 9 and 10 after the mess that (in my opinion) was season 8.

Mitchell82
April 26th, 2008, 12:05 PM
Well, then you have very low standards. I understand that I'm being very harsh on Stargate lately, but you're being absolutely blind and showing an impressive lack of criticism.
Maybe you should look around, compare and wonder how Stargate does against the competition, not in terms of popularity, but in terms of quality.

*leaves before I say something I'll regret*