Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Could STARGATE be made to succeed in THEATERS?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Could STARGATE be made to succeed in THEATERS?

I do believe that there would be enough "fans" to count on as a base, I mean, look at AVP, if you make the show of sufficient quality,build in enough info to bring new viewers "up to speed," those that have never seen it, should go see it, along with all those that are already "hooked" from the series. With all the GARBAGE that I see released with sequel upon sequel...I would think we could see a fair profit earned for a solid movie about STARGATE (remember this all started with a successful theater release). That said,I will gladly take the DVD over nothing...this is a series that SCIFI Channel could and should have continued to support! They are always canceling shows prematurely and replacing it with crap!
    Max

I thought this should be a seperate thread from previous post, please 4give me if I am mistaken
    Last edited by MadMax414th; 13 March 2008, 07:54 PM. Reason: update

the movie wouldn't have brought in a new fan base people would be confused on stuff that had happen in 10 years and it would suck having to re-tell it all during the movie,

the direct to dvd movies are truly for the fans
    https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

Nope. That time has come and gone. I don't think you could properly explain everything you needed to within the film to set up the plot that followed.
      Theoretically spoilerish:
      Spoiler:
      Sig courtesy of Pandora.

Comment

If it was a 'team stuck on another planet' movie it wouldn't take much explaining or back story at all.

Comment

Any movie would be a pan to the true fans because it would have to neutral enough to bring in a larger audience. They are not going to do that when they have a sure thing with direct to DVD sales, Atlantis and the shadowy third spin off series in the works.

Why should they take a gamble on something that has worked out very poorly for other similar mediums, hell even a show as popular as the X-Files didn't do that great as a motion picture, how well do you think Stargate would do?

Comment

Sadly, I don't think so. Not enough fans

Comment

MGM was interested in making a theatrical SG-1 movie. Had "Lost City" been the SG-1 movie, it would have been on a big budget and released in theaters. Had the show ended with Season 8 and followed up with a movie, it would have still been released in theaters. Now that the show has lost RDA and features Ben Browder, which only Farscape fans know who he is, and the central enemy is the Ori, whom are no where near as popular as the Goa'uld... the movie would bomb in theaters. People want to see the Jack/Sam/Daniel/Teal'c team fighting the Goa'uld. The casual SG-1 fan doesn't know squat about the final two years of the show. That's why The Ark of Truth was made on a small budget and released directly to video.

Personally, I don't care if a sequel is direct to video so long as it doesn't feel cheap. The Ark of Truth never tried to do stuff beyond it's budget, so it maintained that epic cinematic movie feel.

Comment

Originally posted by Daniel Jackson View Post
                MGM was interested in making a theatrical SG-1 movie. Had "Lost City" been the SG-1 movie, it would have been on a big budget and released in theaters. Had the show ended with Season 8 and followed up with a movie, it would have still been released in theaters. Now that the show has lost RDA and features Ben Browder, which only Farscape fans know who he is, and the central enemy is the Ori, whom are no where near as popular as the Goa'uld... the movie would bomb in theaters. People want to see the Jack/Sam/Daniel/Teal'c team fighting the Goa'uld. The casual SG-1 fan doesn't know squat about the final two years of the show. That's why The Ark of Truth was made on a small budget and released directly to video.

Personally, I don't care if a sequel is direct to video so long as it doesn't feel cheap. The Ark of Truth never tried to do stuff beyond it's budget, so it maintained that epic cinematic movie feel.
                Personally I think you're a bit unfair. They made direct to DVD movies because they are cheap to produce and will earn them a huge profit, whereas if they made a big budget theatrical movie would cut into their profit-margins.

Comment

I'm not being unfair, I'm being realistic. I'm also not bashing the show. Obviously I didn't mind the Ori saga if I was willing to watch the final seasons and see the movie. However, most casual viewers I know hated the whole Ori saga. The movie is aimed at the SG-1 audience, not the mass movie-seeing audience who may or may not have watched the TV show. It just made sense to make a direct-to-video movie.

Comment

Originally posted by Astrofighter View Post
                    Any movie would be a pan to the true fans because it would have to neutral enough to bring in a larger audience. They are not going to do that when they have a sure thing with direct to DVD sales, Atlantis and the shadowy third spin off series in the works.

Why should they take a gamble on something that has worked out very poorly for other similar mediums, hell even a show as popular as the X-Files didn't do that great as a motion picture, how well do you think Stargate would do?

What about the Star Trek movies? Haven't they done well? Isn't Stargate in that same league? Didn't the original Stargate Movie do well? It sure gets shown on TV quite a bit.

Comment

They could easily do a big budget movie. All they'd have to do is do a quick exposition scene to explain what the SGC is and then base the story around a brand new enemy. Then you don't have to worry about confusing viewers the way a new viewer might not have understood AoT.

Star Trek 2 was basically the sequel to an episode and all they did was give Checkov a line to explain who Khan was. I'd never seen that episode before and the movie made perfect sense.

There's no secret code that says it would have to deal specifically with events from SG-1 or SGA.
                      || Star Stream || Destiny Song || The Four Suns (My Band) || The Art of War <<== listen please!

Comment

Originally posted by Daniel Jackson View Post
                        I'm not being unfair, I'm being realistic. I'm also not bashing the show. Obviously I didn't mind the Ori saga if I was willing to watch the final seasons and see the movie. However, most casual viewers I know hated the whole Ori saga. The movie is aimed at the SG-1 audience, not the mass movie-seeing audience who may or may not have watched the TV show. It just made sense to make a direct-to-video movie.
                        For the ending of the Ori story-arc yeah. But that wouldn't hold up for a new story with a new enemy.
                        || Star Stream || Destiny Song || The Four Suns (My Band) || The Art of War <<== listen please!

Comment

Originally posted by silly sally View Post
                          Sadly, I don't think so. Not enough fans
                          Fans aren't an issue. If it was a big budget movie then the fans wouldn't matter, they'd be aiming for a much wider audience.

Comment

personally, I wouldn't want them to try to get it in the theaters. First, they'd probably end up dumbing it down to appeal to non-sg-1 fans. Also, they might change the feel to Stargate to make it seem 'big movie worthy', thus ruining the experience for us long time fans. And finally, there would be more pressure for it to bring in large amounts of money, and if it didn't meet expectations, there would never be any more made.
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Liam Kincaid View Post
                              What about the Star Trek movies? Haven't they done well? Isn't Stargate in that same league?
                              No, Stargate is better.

I don't think AOT would have done well in theatres...it was clearly directed to SG-1 fans. But I'm sure they could draw up a standalone script that could hold its own. And it would need RDA.

But personally, I don't care if the rest of the movies are all directed to DVD, as long as we get lots of them.
                              sigpic
                              FOX Network

Comment

Working...
                              X