PDA

View Full Version : Why Did "ark Of Truth" Not Release In Theaters First ???

MadMax414th
March 13th, 2008, 06:54 AM
Hey,
Does anyone know why they released "Ark Of Truth" on DVD rather than release it in Theaters first???? My wife & I planned on viewing it in theater, so as to support the continued production of Stargate Movies/Episodes! I am really sorry that they did this. I would think with the "built in" fan base, that the movie would do well, just as Star Trek Movies did fair to "well" in Box Office receipts. I will go purchase the DVD, rather than rent it, as this will be all we can do to promote future "shows," I hope you all do the same.

MadMax414th:vortex04:

The_Carpenter
March 13th, 2008, 07:04 AM
Hey,
Does anyone know why they released "Ark Of Truth" on DVD rather than release it in Theaters first???? My wife & I planned on viewing it in theater, so as to support the continued production of Stargate Movies/Episodes! I am really sorry that they did this. I would think with the "built in" fan base, that the movie would do well, just as Star Trek Movies did fair to "well" in Box Office receipts. I will go purchase the DVD, rather than rent it, as this will be all we can do to promote future "shows," I hope you all do the same.

Theres not enough of a fan base to support the expense of a box office release unfortunatly.

Jedi_Master_Bra'tac
March 13th, 2008, 07:53 AM
Most box office sci fis have budgets in the region of about $100 mil.... the budget for AOT was $7 mil, which is still good for SG as the episodes are usually only 1 mil each

Admiral Mappalazarou
March 13th, 2008, 10:41 AM
errr....a lot of people just wouldn't have understood it.

Mitchell82
March 13th, 2008, 01:20 PM
Hey,

There really isn't that big of a fan base to support a big theatrical release. Not to mention alot of people in the theater would understand it.

J_schinderlin56
March 13th, 2008, 03:49 PM
The most basic reason is cost. Film prints aren't cheap, and you can only charge $8.00 per person at the box office. What if no one comes? A DVD costs 50 cents and they can sell it for $20.00. The math is pretty easy to understand. Plus a $7 Million production looks great on a DVD on regular TV, but it just wouldn't hold up on the big screen.

Astrofighter
March 13th, 2008, 05:43 PM
As others have stated it doesnt have the fan base nor does it have enough money to produce.

Also look at the story, lets face it, its not a stand alone movie.

Serenity was a stand alone movie that the entire premise was laid out in a very very short scene at the start of the movie that was able to explain the entire universe and the history/psyche of two of the characters, then within the next 5 minutes were able to explain everyone else, it was a VERY simple story in comparision to Stargate. The prelude on the dvd is 7 minutes long and even then does not explain it to the point an outside audience would truly grasp and get behind. Let's face it this was made for the fans only.

Mitchell82
March 13th, 2008, 06:01 PM
The most basic reason is cost. Film prints aren't cheap, and you can only charge $8.00 per person at the box office. What if no one comes? A DVD costs 50 cents and they can sell it for $20.00. The math is pretty easy to understand. Plus a $7 Million production looks great on a DVD on regular TV, but it just wouldn't hold up on the big screen.
Actually a dvd to create a film quality print is about 3 or 4 bucks but you are correct otherwise.

Mitchell82
March 13th, 2008, 06:02 PM
As others have stated it doesnt have the fan base nor does it have enough money to produce.

Also look at the story, lets face it, its not a stand alone movie.

Serenity was a stand alone movie that the entire premise was laid out in a very very short scene at the start of the movie that was able to explain the entire universe and the history/psyche of two of the characters, then within the next 5 minutes were able to explain everyone else, it was a VERY simple story in comparision to Stargate. The prelude on the dvd is 7 minutes long and even then does not explain it to the point an outside audience would truly grasp and get behind. Let's face it this was made for the fans only.
Exactly. If you arent a hardcore fan the chance you'd understand it is slim at best.

KindlyKeller
March 13th, 2008, 06:03 PM
Yeah, everyone above has it right. The advertising alone would have cost about three times as much as the movie's budget, and the unintiated wouldn't have understood it.

padr49904
March 13th, 2008, 06:10 PM
Yeah, movies that come off a t.v. show don't usually do well. When people go to see them never having seen the show they come out more confused than ever. It just isn't worth it.

prion
March 13th, 2008, 06:50 PM
Exactly. If you arent a hardcore fan the chance you'd understand it is slim at best.

Agreed. It would have kileld any other movies had they gone for a theatrical release as the expenses would have outweighted the gross or net.

MadMax414th
March 13th, 2008, 07:25 PM
I see,
I did not realize they had such a relatively small budget. I knew serenity had done both and thought this was a similar situation.I have not yet seen the DVD, as they don't have a store in town that has it in stock (see 1 gopher town lol), so I was also unaware they did not set it up for the "civilians" that had never seen it. Sounds like it was never intended to go beyond DVD, again, info I was not aware of. Thank you for all the info, I will check back if anyone else has additional input. HOWEVER, I do believe that there would be enough "fans" to count on as a base, I mean, look at AVP, if you make it of sufficient quality, those that have never seen it will go see it along with all those that are already "hooked" from the series. With all the GARBAGE that I see released with sequel upon sequel...I would think we could see a fair profit earned for a solid movie about STARGATE (remember this all started with a successful theater release). That said,I will gladly take the DVD over nothing...this is a series that SCIFI Channel could and should have continued to support! They are always canceling shows prematurely and replacing it with crap! (Perhaps I should have started the last half as a new thread)

Max

prion
March 13th, 2008, 07:32 PM
I see,
I did not realize they had such a relatively small budget. I knew serenity had done both and thought this was a similar situation.I have not yet seen the DVD, as they don't have a store in town that has it in stock (see 1 gopher town lol), so I was also unaware they did not set it up for the "civilians" that had never seen it. Sounds like it was never intended to go beyond DVD, again, info I was not aware of. Thank you for all the info, I will check back if anyone else has additional input. HOWEVER, I do believe that there would be enough "fans" to count on as a base, I mean, look at AVP, if you make it of sufficient quality, those that have never seen it will go see it along with all those that are already "hooked" from the series. With all the GARBAGE that I see released with sequel upon sequel...I would think we could see a fair profit earned for a solid movie about STARGATE (remember this all started with a successful theater release). That said,I will gladly take the DVD over nothing...this is a series that SCIFI Channel could and should have continued to support! They are always canceling shows prematurely and replacing it with crap! (Perhaps I should have started the last half as a new thread)

Max

SG will never see a theatrical release because it's more cult scifi. X-Files was definitely part of pop culture as is Star Trek, but Stargate, Firefly - both have hardcore but cult audience. While people may watch it in syndication, it would have tanked in the box office. I'd rather see MGM put the cash into a new movie than a marketing campaign that only a core audience might find appealing.

I do prefer the DVD because at least I have a copy I can watch again if I want, I'm not stepping on popcorn, and nobody is chattering in their cellphone during the movie.

Astrofighter
March 13th, 2008, 07:45 PM
The x-files was broadcasted on fox, so was firefly, being on cable stargate has a small fan base right off the bat and far less exposure. Plain and simple and look at Firefly as an example.

Despite critical acclaim and Internet buzz, Serenity performed poorly at best at the box office. Although several pundits predicted a #1 opening, the film opened at #2 in the United States, taking in $10.1 million its first weekend, spending two weeks in the top ten, and totaling a box office gross of $25.5 million. Movie industry analyst Brandon Gray described Serenity's box office performance as "like a below average genre picture".

Serenity's international box office results were mixed, with strong openings in the UK, Portugal and Russia, but poor results in Spain, Australia, France and Italy. Universal International Pictures canceled the film's theatrical release in at least seven countries, planning to release it directly to DVD instead. The box office income outside the United States was $13.3 million, with a worldwide total of $38.8 million, slightly less than the film's $39 million budget, which does not include the promotion and advertising costs.

J_schinderlin56
March 14th, 2008, 09:12 AM
Actually a dvd to create a film quality print is about 3 or 4 bucks but you are correct otherwise.

Yup you're right, you have to use Dual Layer Discs. But those are still cheaper than theater prints on 35mm.

Using DVD as your format is like selling coke a Taco Bell, it's pure profit.