Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

10,000 B.C. (The Movie) Question (SPOILERS, SOMEWHAT RELATED)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

10,000 B.C. (The Movie) Question (SPOILERS, SOMEWHAT RELATED)

Just watched it a couple of days ago. Didn't really like it, although that's another story altogether.

In any case, for those who've seen it, was that God-king dude who randomly popped up towards the end supposed to have been a jab at the Goa'uld or some such, just cos' Emmerich still hasn't been able to get his Stargate 2 project to take off? O_o

Someone told me there were dinosaurs in this, I hope to God that's not true.
    All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing-Edmund Burke

The question which once haunted my being has been answered. The future is not fixed, and my choices are my own... and yet, how ironic! For I now find, I have no choice at all! I am warrior... let the battle be joined.-Dinobot-Code of Hero

Don't blame me, I voted Cthulhu

Comment

I've a quick yes-or-no question, so please don't spoil this movie for me. I'd appreciate if you quote my post so I can just scroll straight to your answer. Thanks.

My question: Is this worth seeing at the theater, or should I just wait for the DVD?

Comment

Originally posted by Daniel Jackson View Post
        I've a quick yes-or-no question, so please don't spoil this movie for me. I'd appreciate if you quote my post so I can just scroll straight to your answer. Thanks.

My question: Is this worth seeing at the theater, or should I just wait for the DVD?
        According to many critics. The movie isn't worth seeing at all. So if you believe them...DVD

"You know what would make a good story? Something about a clown who makes people happy, but inside he's real sad. Also, he has severe diarrhea." - Jack Handy

Comment

I don't care what the critics say, they always trash movies I like while praising completely lame movies. I'd like to know what GateWorld members think of the movie. I do want to see it, I just want to know if it's worth seeing at the theater or not.

Comment

I liked the movie, though I do like alternate history stories. I might not have wanted to pay full price with popcorn and soda but it was worth a matinee price for me. One problem with the movie is that unless you know something about the alternate history you might get confused with some things in the movie though the main story was straight forward. Some reviews complained about it not being historical but duh, its fiction its not suppose to be a history lesson.

Somewhat spoiler but mostly background, As to the “God-king dude” the whole idea for the movie comes from the diffusionist history view where a pre-historic civilization is responsible for spreading technology and farming to the historic civilizations we know today. In this case some sort of Atlantian civilization. The story also ties in with the alternate history which says that the pyramids were built by this earlier civilization in 10,000 BC in alignment with the Orion constellation and only latter did the Pharaohs of Egypt take them over and fix them up.

And no there were no dinosaurs in the movie, though something that evolved much latter and sort of looks like them is

Comment

Originally posted by Grapple View Post
              I liked the movie, though I do like alternate history stories. I might not have wanted to pay full price with popcorn and soda but it was worth a matinee price for me.
              At least you think it's worth seeing at the theater.

One problem with the movie is that unless you know something about the alternate history you might get confused with some things in the movie though the main story was straight forward. Some reviews complained about it not being historical but duh, its fiction its not suppose to be a history lesson.
              I think the complaints are valid given that it was advertised as a pre-history epic. That said, it also struck me as a fantastical take on pre-history, so I'm not expecting total historical accuracy.

Comment

I was planning on seeing it but everyone I talked to said the movie was just utter trash, so I'm not sure I wanna spend my money seeing it in the theater.
                Folding@Home|Babylon 5 Canon Guide

Delenn: This is Ambassador Delenn of the Minbari. Babylon 5 is under our protection. Withdraw,...or be destroyed.
                Earth Captain: Negative. We have authority here. Do not force us to engage your ship.
                Delenn: Why not? Only one human captain has ever survived battle with a Minbari fleet. He is behind me. You are in front of me. If you value your lives, be somewhere else.
                --Babylon 5 - "Severed Dreams"

Comment

Originally posted by Grapple View Post
                  And no there were no dinosaurs in the movie, though something that evolved much latter and sort of looks like them is
                  I didn't think they really knew what they were talking about, was it the big bird thing you're talking about?
                  All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing-Edmund Burke

The question which once haunted my being has been answered. The future is not fixed, and my choices are my own... and yet, how ironic! For I now find, I have no choice at all! I am warrior... let the battle be joined.-Dinobot-Code of Hero

Don't blame me, I voted Cthulhu

Comment

Originally posted by jds1982 View Post
                    I didn't think they really knew what they were talking about, was it the big bird thing you're talking about?
                    Yeah, there was a class of large flightless carnivorous birds which supposedly died out around 2 million years ago. Imagine an ostrich weighing up to a thousand pounds and ten feet tall with the hunting ability of a roadrunner. They come under the classification of Phorusrhacids but are popularly called terror birds

I guess the screen writers were saying that some form of them lasted until 10,000 BC. The large flightless Moas of New Zealand lasted up to a few hundred years ago so I guess its not impossible

Comment

Myself, I'll probably just wait to see this movie on DVD.
                      sigpic
                      MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
                      "...phu...ah..."
                      "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
                      Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

I can't wait to watch it!

Comment

The movie's not good, it's not bad, and it's definitely not what you'd expect from seeing the trailer.

The plot's not much, certainly not engrossing. The action isn't nearly on-par with a "300" or "Rambo," where non-stop action can carry the movie. But after all, it was worth it if you're paying under $10 per ticket.

Also, based on the very end, it would fit into Stargate canon.

minor spoiler
                          Spoiler:
                          It was implied that the Egyptian leaders that enslaved the people to build the pyramids were in fact aliens. Many of the characters believed that they were aliens.
                          sigpic
                          "Most of our John Sheppard impressions sound more like a demented Jimmy Stewart than Joe Flanigan."
                          ~David Hewlett

Comment

Working...
                          X