The cityship wasn't Atlantis...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The cityship wasn't Atlantis...

When Daniel learned of the Alterans coming to Earth from the Ori galaxy, I figured they came in Atlantis. It was interesting to see that the cityship in the movie was not Atlantis. I guess this means Atlantis's origins lie in the Milky Way galaxy? Perhaps it was built on Earth? I'd like to see this explored in an episode of SG:A.

You think what took off was a cityship? You'd be lucky if it was anything near a villageship.
    The Al'kesh is not a warship - Info on Naqahdah & Naqahdria - Firepower of Goa'uld staff weapons - Everything about Hiveships and the Wraith - An idea about what powers Destiny...

Comment

It wasn't Atlantis. It was only a betaversion of Atlantis.
      Stolen Kosovo
      sigpic

Comment

In the first episode of season 9 it only says they left in a great ship
        Daniel: Their whole world is in flames - and we're offering them gasoline. How does that help?
        Teal'c: We are in fact offering water.
        Jack O'Neill: Thank you.
        Daniel: I was speaking metaphorically.
        Jack O'Neill: Well stop it. It's not fair to Teal'c.

Comment

Mister Oragahn, have you seen the movie? The ship that left was the size of a mountain! I'd call that a cityship.

G.o.d, I know it wasn't Atlantis. I just said that in my first post.

Gary83, that's why I thought it might have been Atlantis.

Comment

The ship was definately good size but it wasn't near the size of Atlantis. The village below it wasn't that big.

Comment

the ship was ulbous and rounded. In the extra features you can clearly see the design and while it may be similar it is not atlantis. It was a big ship, but no where near atlantis size.

Comment

I always thought Atlantis was built on Earth so until they say otherwise that's what I'm going with.
                || Star Stream || Destiny Song || The Four Suns (My Band) || The Art of War <<== listen please!

Comment

Originally posted by TheGreatLordGeorge View Post
                  the ship was ulbous and rounded. In the extra features you can clearly see the design and while it may be similar it is not atlantis. It was a big ship, but no where near atlantis size.
                  Really? Is there any way someone could take a cap of this? I'm dying to get a better look at the design of the ship

Comment

Why would you have expected it to have been Atlantis? Ancient technology in our galaxy follows a pretty clear 'monolithic' sort of a design; stone, buttons, moving parts, things that look designed to stand the test of time....not to mention having an orange/black colour scheme.

Atlantis and subsequent Pegasus Ancient technology follows the blue/white glowy, 'everything-is-pointy and made of plastic' design philosophy.

Why would they have changed technology/design philosophies for a few million years in our galaxy, just to revert back when they went to Pegasus?
                    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

I think most of us knew it wasn't Atlantis considering it was built here in the milkyway as their last hope of fleeing the plague after they'd fled their home galaxy.

Comment

Originally posted by Sauron18 View Post
                        Really? Is there any way someone could take a cap of this? I'm dying to get a better look at the design of the ship
                        Can do!

Comment

Originally posted by Daniel Jackson View Post
                          Mister Oragahn, have you seen the movie? The ship that left was the size of a mountain! I'd call that a cityship.
                          It took off from a glorified snowy plateau barely big enough to host a village, as far as a I recall.

Here's a story of disapointment:

We learn that the Alterans are from another galaxy. Woah. Why did they move?
                          A war with the "Ori".
                          Imagination goes rampant. The Ori are ascended beings, but not limited with pesky rules of non interference. They rule a whole galaxy.
                          Dang. I have to see that.

They must be ruling an empire of medieval pawns covering many planets, with mighty outdated cities all over the place, and plenty of Ori temples, full of gadgetery.
                          They must have the ability to built ships in many numbers... on many planets, using all those powers to assemble them effortlessly.

What we see? The Ori empire is nothing more than something like three villages, at best, and we're not even sure that all of them are on different planets anymore.
                          I expect some massive cities, or huge ruins, anything big you know, the leftover from the clash of two great civilizations which have been travelling through their galaxy and beyond.
                          Nope, one city, Celestis, and nothing else. Not many fancy things to see there.

As for the ships, well, beyond one valley visibly used to build ships by using primitive structures, there's nothing else to see. We got, what? a total of twelve ori ships?

Ah, of course, I thought the Alterans departed from that galaxy. Oh, that must have been a great exodus. But no. Sorry, we later learn that they left the galaxy in one ship.
                          One frakin' ship.
                          Uh.

OK, nevermind! It must have been a glorious ship. Something big, fantastic... of course, considering how Atlantis was a letdown (notably when you compare what we got to what was initially explored), my hopes weren't so high.
                          Still, I expect something like a worldship, with all Alterans from many planets docking inside that big ass ship, and leaving.

Comes AOT. Nope, it's just another sub Atlantis tug. Yeepee.

Oh but wait, at least that village they departed from... was just one village among many, on another planet!

No. That village is just a chain mountain away from Celestis. So basically, all that great stuff about a formidable conflict of values, opinions and technology, was nothing more than two ******* villages slinging crap at each other.

There are many other things to list, most of them being about what the staff could have added to the Ori lore (we had a thread about what the Ori could have been given) but no, the Ori is just a story about one village with six towers or so grandiloquently called Celestis like if it was anything massive, and that's all.
                          The Al'kesh is not a warship - Info on Naqahdah & Naqahdria - Firepower of Goa'uld staff weapons - Everything about Hiveships and the Wraith - An idea about what powers Destiny...

Comment

Originally posted by KatanaFDF View Post
                            Can do!

Nice! Is there any concept art in the special features?

Comment

Originally posted by kirmit View Post
                              I think most of us knew it wasn't Atlantis considering it was built here in the milkyway as their last hope of fleeing the plague after they'd fled their home galaxy.
                              That is what I've always thought too.
                              sigpic
                              MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
                              "...phu...ah..."
                              "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
                              Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Working...
                              X