PDA

View Full Version : Least Favourite Episode of Season 7?

Captain Amazing
May 6th, 2004, 08:32 AM
What is your least favourite episode of Season 7?

My vote goes to Space Race.

Could be my least favourite episode of Stargate ever! It really didn't work for me.

Major Tyler
May 6th, 2004, 12:20 PM
Resurrection

Major Samantha Carter
May 6th, 2004, 12:51 PM
Chimera ---- don't think it was realistic that Carter got permission to tell Pete everything about the Stargate especially after he had that FBI guy check up on her. Now if Shanahan does come back in Season 8 like I'm hearing, I would expect that they would deal with the fallout of him going behind her back. At least I would hope so.

Dani347
May 6th, 2004, 02:36 PM
grace

priornavalperson
May 6th, 2004, 02:43 PM
Enemy Mine... I just found it too boring.:(

THE BIG UNIT
May 6th, 2004, 02:45 PM
Enemy Mine

TechnoBoY
May 6th, 2004, 02:45 PM
Birthrigte and Evolution P. 1&2 just didnt do it for me.

spg_1983
May 6th, 2004, 02:46 PM
Fall Out

bcmilco
May 6th, 2004, 02:59 PM
Chimera -- I just can't believe they told Pete. It contradicts everything they've been saying for the last 7 years about the top secret nature of the stargate. Not to mention that what should have been an A/B plot was in actuality an A/A plot story and two completely unrelated stories were tied together with a plot hole the size of a Stargate. Plus I found the lack of reaction from anyone to be completely out of character.

Skydiver
May 6th, 2004, 03:58 PM
enemy mine, then lifeboat

several others fall into a mediocre middle

Shipperahoy
May 6th, 2004, 09:26 PM
Avenger 2.0

I don't think that it was absolutely wretched but I have no desire to see it again.

KorbenDirewolf
May 6th, 2004, 11:59 PM
I've got a kind of a 3way tie here..

"Evolution (Part 2)" because.. well shouldn't Part 2 of a 2 part story answer at least some of the questions raised?

"Grace" beacuse umm.. What the heck actually happened there?

"Chimera" for the same reason as "Grace".

There's others I didn't like too much but these mainly.

yabyumpan
May 7th, 2004, 01:11 AM
I think the worst ep was 'Avenger 2' but every season has a dud so I can just ignore it.
In terms of what I actively disliked -
Heroes - had very little to do with the 'Stargate' as such, it could have been an ep of any program featuring the military, and it was pure propaganda, which just gets my hackles up.
Also - Grace and Chimera for the continuing destruction of a once great character - Major Samantha Carter - RIP :(

Imzadi
May 7th, 2004, 01:54 AM
Inauguration - *YAWN*

Matt G
May 7th, 2004, 03:42 AM
Chimera*keeps glancing at watch trying not to throw up*

sgeureka
May 7th, 2004, 03:58 AM
Enemy Mine - first episode since Brief Candle where I had to cover my eyes for more than two minutes (in this episode it was more like twenty minutes :S ). I swear I would have turned off the TV if I wouldn't tape all SG episodes.

It wasn't that the episode was that bad, but I hated the interpretation of Chaka by this new actor. Just couldn't stand it.

Madeleine
May 7th, 2004, 04:22 AM
I hated the interpretation of Chaka by this new actor.

I agree that Dion Johnstone's presence in EM would probably have turned it into an ep more worthy of rewatching. It was rather dry as it stood.

I'm also a firm believer in Gipsy's idea that Mackay's presence in lieu of Felger would have made Avenger a good episode instead of an embarrassing mess.

But my Worst Ep this season has to be Grace. The episode that, for me, substituted the Sam I always liked for a Sam who was a silly drip :(.

Wass
May 7th, 2004, 04:35 AM
Avenger 2.0
Resurrection

Both were too boring lost interest in first few minutes.

ReplicatorX
May 7th, 2004, 05:36 AM
Grace - Just boring compared to the others.

Bucky
May 7th, 2004, 06:00 AM
"Enemy Mine" and "Fall Out"

"Enemy Mine" because I don't much care for Unas eps. "Fall Out" because it was irrelevant and boring.

MagnoliaAnaglypta
May 7th, 2004, 06:19 AM
I'm also a firm believer in Gipsy's idea that Mackay's presence in lieu of Felger would have made Avenger a good episode instead of an embarrassing mess.

Yeah, I agree, it would have made probably an above average show with Mackay instead of Felger. But, unfortunately, reality bites. In consequence, this is not just the worst episode of S7 for me but the second worst of all seven seasons to date.

I find it - well, as I've said elsewhere, the only word I can really use to sum it up is 'offensive'. I have the same reaction to Felger as I have to Marty in point of no return - he is a sad, pathetic inadequate with no redeeming characteristics and an unhealthy side helping of mysogeny. (Now Mackay had reasons for being the way he was, and we actually learned enough about those reasons to start feeling some kind of sympathy towards him - Mackay was abrasive and intolerant, but he was brilliant and he clearly had a place in the SGC, he was clearly capable of getting results without being emotionally babysat)

Wheras Marty had no official business at the SGC, the front line of humanity against the Goa'uld - this twerp is actually employed by them, and worse, continues to be employed by them despite enough screw-ups, and enough odd personality traits to get an employee fired from any normal company.

The character of Chloe may have been funny to a fourteen year old boy, but she wasn't funny to this much older woman, who remembers painfully all the fighting she had to go through to be taken seriously as a female scientist in the days when 'girls don't do physics'.

The sad thing about it is that this was quite a good idea for a story, but drop Felger into the mix, and you lose me completely. This idiot has nothing at all about his personality that makes me feel sympathetic towards him, and certainly nothing that makes me want to like him. He was tolerable - just- in 'The Other Guys' because he had Coombs with him, and Coombs was a likeable character who balanced him out.

Add that to an extreme lack of presence of three out of the four principal players, and to me you have got an embarassement that should never have been allowed to air.

keshou
May 7th, 2004, 07:09 AM
My least favorite episodes were Avenger 2.0 and Enemy Mine (tie)

Enemy Mine I enjoyed the other two Unas episodes but I was bored to tears during this one. It's amazing what a different actor can do under all that makeup -- I *really* missed Dion Johnstone. I thought the EM Chaka didn't have the chemistry with Daniel we saw in First Ones or Beast of Burden. I also thought this episode badly needed some sort of secondary story going on. I love Daniel doing his thing as much as the next gal, but the translating scenes with the Unas really dragged for me. The colonel was a walking cliche. I'm not sure why Teal'c was even there.

Avenger 2.0 I thought the idea of the gate system being infected with a virus was intriguing. Felger just didn't work for me in this episode. He was amusing in "Other Guys", balanced by his interaction with Coombs and Jack and the others. In Other Guys I laughed as Felger/Coombs bumbled their way around. In Avenger I just sort of cringed. I didn't think Sam had any particular comedic chemistry with Felger and that last scene in the lab just came across as crass as opposed to the last scene in "Other Guys" which was really kind of sweet. I also didn't feel one moment of concern for the people trapped off-world. They didn't sell that at all. The only bright spot was that I kind of liked Chloe. I agree that MacKay might have made a difference, if only because he's got a lot of chemistry with Sam.

SallyK
May 7th, 2004, 07:14 AM
I think it was a tie between Avenger 2.0 and Grace.

Avenger 2.0 was probably one of the worst Stargate episodes of all time - but Grace wasn't a Stargate episode at all - just a poor imitation of Star Trek, with Sam replaced by a pod person, who unfortunately took over for most of the rest of the season.

SallyK

Slainte
May 7th, 2004, 08:07 AM
"Enemy Mine" was my least favorite episode. I've never been fond of the Unas, and this episode didn't change my mind. There were a few good moments in the episode, though; it wasn't an absolute washout.

Dramaqueen
May 7th, 2004, 08:43 AM
There was actually more than one episode i didn't like in S7 but I think my least favourite ep was Space Race. It just dind't work for me and all these Tech Con commercials really annoyed me.

bartinator
May 7th, 2004, 09:08 AM
Chimera---because in real life that guy would have a bullet in his head by know. :rolleyes:

Ajayrious
May 7th, 2004, 10:04 AM
Grace and Avenger 2.0 tie

Crazedwraith
May 7th, 2004, 01:11 PM
Wheras Marty had no official business at the SGC, the front line of humanity against the Goa'uld - this twerp is actually employed by them, and worse, continues to be employed by them despite enough screw-ups, and enough odd personality traits to get an employee fired from any normal company..

I assume you meant Felger.?

And i don't see how MacKay wpuld have improved the episode, I mean we've never seen him as a regular SGC scientist before. he gets sent in by the pentagon at times of crisis and the half the episode that show of crap Fleger was wouldn't work.

I just can't see the plot working with MacKay at all.

DarkQuee1
May 7th, 2004, 05:47 PM
EM, hands down. While I'm not a great fan of the Unas, I liked BOB for the moral dilemma it presented and for the ambiguous ending, with Daniel basically helping to start a war. EM totally tossed off the all of the potential dramatic consequences in BOB as if it hadn't mattered. EM, for me, was Daniel at his worst: smug, superior, self-satisfied and on a soapbox (as opposed to the Daniel from Evolution through TLC, who reminded me of what I always liked about Daniel). Edwards was a mindless, military moronic stereotype who would never have made colonel in a frontline unit. Everyone--including the Unas--behaved stupidly. And it ended with Daniel making an monumental anthropological blunder--I know it's really the writers' fault, but within the parameters of the episode, it's the character we see doing it.

J.

MagnoliaAnaglypta
May 8th, 2004, 12:53 AM
I assume you meant Felger.?

No, I did not mean Felger.

Marty was not employed at the SGC. This makes his character more tolerable (marginally) to me than Felger because at least they were not trying to make me believe that he would have been acceptable as a character in that environment. The SGC has an obligation to find and employ the best of the best. If Felger is the best they can come up with then the human race deserves to be wiped out by the Goa'uld.

MagnoliaAnaglypta
May 8th, 2004, 01:31 AM
EM, for me, was Daniel at his worst: smug, superior, self-satisfied and on a soapbox

I know everyone sees different things in different episodes, but how on earth does Daniel basically saying lets not kill these creatures because they were here first make him smug, superior, self satisfied and on a soapbox? He turned out to be right because he had more anthropological knowledge than everybody else there (which wasn't saying much - I agree with you that Edwards with his attitude should never have been allowed to go off world, never mind in command of a unit). The fact that he managed to arrive at an agreement in the end was - as he made perfectly clear at the time - not really down to him at all. He was a facilitator, but the actual agreement which saved everyones bacon was suggested by the leader of the 'primitives' thus proving that they were not nearly as primitive as everyone had assumed. I thought the episode was a superb one about how you make assumptions, and how those assumptions can lead you to take actions which have unintented and often tragic consequences.

I don't quite understand how you think Daniel *should* have behaved in this circumstance? He was quietly spoken, but didn't back down. That's Daniel to a tee. Should he have just shut up and gone away because what he was saying was inconvenient for the rest to hear? He told Edwards a few unpleasant home truths. Now Edwards shouldn't have been such a git that he needed to be told, but given that he was, someone had to tell him.

What annoyed me about this episode was everybody elses attitude and I found a great deal of satisfaction in the fact that Daniel turned out to be right, the problem was, he SHOULDN'T have been the only person saying those things. What was annoying about it was that everyone else automatically assumed they had the RIGHT to turn up on a planet, plant their flag, take what they wanted, and behave agressively towards the natives when the natives stood in their way. For me the episode was yet another clear demonstration of how the majority of people involved are not ready, no way no how, to be part of any kind of galactic community. You don't just decide that you 'need' something from someone elses sovreign territory and go get it because they are not strong enough to stop you. I thought it was quite a clever episode about how we basically don't learn from our own history.

Monumental anthropological blunder? These Unas's development had already been screwed-up beyond all recognition by the Goa'uld. They were not 'natural' Unas at all. What they were was a culture of intelligent beings who had already been introduced to technology and then left to die out when they were no longer any use to thier masters. Only, inconsiderately, they didn't. You can't put the genie back in the bottle, they couldn't go back to being what they would have been without that initial interference. What Daniel gave them was the chance to be a part of the fight against the Goa'uld on their own terms. (one assumes that refills for Iron-Shirt's 'gift' would have been supplied by a matter of course, since it is likely that it would have become one of the symbols of his authority and the humans would have wanted him to stay in authority since he was the one who made the agreement)

I did miss Dion as Chaka though - the actor who played him just didn't have the same rythmns and body language as Dion, and I really couldn't see him as Chaka.

Dani347
May 8th, 2004, 06:50 AM
Yeah, what she said. (You are a she, MagnoliaAnaglypta, right?)

MagnoliaAnaglypta
May 8th, 2004, 07:46 AM
Yeah, what she said. (You are a she, MagnoliaAnaglypta, right?)
I might be..... :D

Gategrrl
May 8th, 2004, 03:10 PM
Hmm. Three way tie between:

Grace, Avenger 2.0, and 1/2 of Chimera. The Sam half.

Okay, okay, I think Grace really took the cake as worst, in that the story was a mess, the character of Sam was assasinated and destroyed for me in that ep, and a bleary eyed stare whilst moving food stores does not drama make. At least for me.

san
May 9th, 2004, 01:26 AM
Enemie Mine - it was the very first episode that i coudn't see to the end. And i actually like the previews Unas episodes.

Besides the fact that it was boring what bugs me more is the way they treat the unas.

Infact they have been very incoscistence with the all Unas story. First we found they are one of the first species to be used by the gou'lds, then we see them as some kind of pre-storic clan, then we found then with a little more evolution but as labour animals - but with a degree of evolution superior of the first episode with Daniel and Chaka (?sp), and in the enemie of mine, we go back in time on the evolution and have the pre-storic clans, who act more like a pack of wolfs then the Unas from the third episode (sorry can recall the name).

San

DarkQuee1
May 9th, 2004, 02:27 PM
Monumental anthropological blunder? These Unas's development had already been screwed-up beyond all recognition by the Goa'uld. They were not 'natural' Unas at all. What they were was a culture of intelligent beings who had already been introduced to technology and then left to die out when they were no longer any use to thier masters. Only, inconsiderately, they didn't. You can't put the genie back in the bottle, they couldn't go back to being what they would have been without that initial interference. What Daniel gave them was the chance to be a part of the fight against the Goa'uld on their own terms. (one assumes that refills for Iron-Shirt's 'gift' would have been supplied by a matter of course, since it is likely that it would have become one of the symbols of his authority and the humans would have wanted him to stay in authority since he was the one who made the agreement)

I'm not going to go into all the reasons why I found Daniel excessively annoying in this episode--which in part included BOB and the way the other characters were drawn; we will never see eye-to-eye on it and we will simply end up going around in circles.

However, the blunder to which I was referring: the Unas are a dominant-submissive culture; we saw that in "First Ones". And so did Daniel, and he certainly should have understood what he saw. Yet, instead of talking to the Unas at the end and indicating that we apologize for any perceived invasion of their territory and that we want to deal with them *as equals*, he insisted that Edwards and the others take a submissive posture. The problem this creates is that the Unas have now labelled us as "submissive" in the heirarchy. But the people who will be sent to that world will *not* be the submissive type; the SGC is composed of alphas, not omegas. Sooner or later, an Unas dominant will demand a submission gesture and he won't get it. At that point, conflict will began all over again.
As I said, I recognize the fact that the writer is *not* an anthropologist and probably hasn't read any monographs on the subject, but within the Stargate universe, we are left with this being done by Daniel. And it was a mistake.

J.

MagnoliaAnaglypta
May 9th, 2004, 02:56 PM
However, the blunder to which I was referring: the Unas are a dominant-submissive culture; we saw that in "First Ones". And so did Daniel, and he certainly should have understood what he saw. Yet, instead of talking to the Unas at the end and indicating that we apologize for any perceived invasion of their territory and that we want to deal with them *as equals*, he insisted that Edwards and the others take a submissive posture. The problem this creates is that the Unas have now labelled us as "submissive" in the heirarchy. But the people who will be sent to that world will *not* be the submissive type; the SGC is composed of alphas, not omegas. Sooner or later, an Unas dominant will demand a submission gesture and he won't get it. At that point, conflict will began all over again.

And I think that's an over-simplification based on an earth model that simply may not be relevant in that situation. Yes, we've seen that there are dominant/submissive elements to the Unas's culture, but to assume that such a culture would follow exactly the same pattern as those studied by anthropologists on earth would I think be a mistake. Daniel himself initially in the earlier episode was 'made' to take a subservient posture with Chaka, clearly he doesn't have to any more, and somehow I doubt it's because he's proved himself more 'alpha-male' than Chaka.

Earlier in the episode we had seen Chaka, opening negotiations with ironshirt, assuming a submissive posture around the fire even though he subsequently seemed to treat with Iron-Shirt as an equal. Daniel was obviously taking his cue from the behaviour that he had observed between the two Unas earlier - which I would think was rather wiser than slavishly following academic models written by anthropological experts who had never even heard of a stargate.

Osiris
May 10th, 2004, 04:54 AM
Enemy Mine was simply boring, especially the part with the Unas linguage! It's, indeed my least favourite episode.

And I really enjoyed Grace and Chimera (am I alone???): Sam's charatcter needed episodes like that to be realistic. I don't understand why some of you consider those episodes destroyed her character?! She's human: she must have a lovelife, feelings or frustrations! She doesn't have the right to get a life outside the SGC and/or a boyfriend?!

Grace was a very intelligent and introspective episode: apparently the audience of the show isn't as smart as the cast & crew thought...

Chimera was of course a very good episode, first of all because of Osiris, afterwards as Sam finally got a boyfriend (love and sexual life) after more than 6 years alone!!!

Matt G
May 10th, 2004, 05:03 AM
Enemy Mine was simply boring, especially the part with the Unas linguage! It's, indeed my least favourite episode.

And I really enjoyed Grace and Chimera (am I alone???): Sam's charatcter needed episodes like that to be realistic. I don't understand why some of you consider those episodes destroyed her character?! She's human: she must have a lovelife, feelings or frustrations! She doesn't have the right to get a life outside the SGC and/or a boyfriend?!

Grace was a very intelligent and introspective episode: apparently the audience of the show isn't as smart as the cast & crew thought...

Chimera was of course a very good episode, first of all because of Osiris, afterwards as Sam finally got a boyfriend (love and sexual life) after more than 6 years alone!!!

I was certainly pro Sarah getting released from Osiris and I don't have a problem with Sam getting a boyfriend in theory.

But the way both plots were worked left the episode coming off soap opera ish and I'm not a soap opera fan.

I'd have had the Osiris part happen off world and the Pete part start off with him sniffing about. That would have been an SG1 ep.

Dani347
May 10th, 2004, 05:30 AM
She's human: she must have a lovelife

Really, she must have a lovelife? So, before she had one, she wasn't human? And, while I think that idea is totally outdated, I really really hope you do mean human, and would feel the same way about Jack, Daniel, and Teal'c (yeah, yeah, Jaffa, but you get the picture) and don't mean that because Sam's a woman she must have a love life.

And, don't mistake what I'm saying. I'm not saying a love life is bad. I like Pete. I think he's great. But, I don't see that a lovelife is essential for anyone, because that's an insult to the people who are very happy being single. And, for years, Sam was a vibrant, interesting, happy character, even without a boyfriend.

Ah, insults. Is that a sign of intelligence?

Osiris
May 10th, 2004, 06:27 AM
It isn't an insult. I refer to some of RDA comments on the DVD extra. I'm just fed up with all those people complaining everytime. Don't take this for a personal attack.

Btw, You should be single for saying that there's people who are happy single. Life means nothing if you don't love and are not loved by someone. But that's again, my personal opinion. Jack had a wife and some "girlfriends", the same with Teal'c (Dreyau'c, Shanau'c & Ishta) & Daniel (Sha're & Sarah Gardner). Sam was always alone and there was any reference to her personal life for 7 years (except Jonas in The 1st Commandment). I think it was unfair. Now, her character is credible. That's what I meant by using "human": an emotional being, including Jaffa & Goa'uld or other races with feelings.

Matt G
May 10th, 2004, 07:06 AM
Btw, You should be single for saying that there's people who are happy single. Life means nothing if you don't love and are not loved by someone. But that's again, my personal opinion. Jack had a wife and some "girlfriends", the same with Teal'c (Dreyau'c, Shanau'c & Ishta) & Daniel (Sha're & Sarah Gardner). Sam was always alone and there was any reference to her personal life for 7 years (except Jonas in The 1st Commandment). I think it was unfair. Now, her character is credible. That's what I meant by using "human": an emotional being, including Jaffa & Goa'uld or other races with feelings.

Speaking as a single male - yes 'loving and being loved' would make me slightly happier. Does it mean that I am not emotional? No. I have other things in my life that make me happy, family friends, SG1 etc etc. I assumed pre-Chimera that science and motorbikes and stuff like that made Sam happy. We did not need an entire ep setting up Sam with a guy.

GateGipsy
May 10th, 2004, 08:22 AM
But then you say earlier in the post:

And then in a post that shortly followed you say:

It isn't an insult. I refer to some of RDA comments on the DVD extra. I'm just fed up with all those people complaining everytime. Don't take this for a personal attack.
Osiris I feel that it is a personal attack, in a general kind of way. This isn't a moderation because what you said wasn't specifically aimed at any one person. However, I do feel extremely strongly about things like this, because one thing I believe in more than anything is people's right to freedom of speech. Let me explain what I mean.

What you've said essentially, even if you didn't mean it to come across that way, is that you're fed up with people not liking what you like - and you've chosen to call that complaining. I say 'chosen' to because it isn't complaining - it is people expressing their opinion about an episode that they didn't like in the same way you expressed your opinion of Enemy Mine.

I utterly defend your right to dislike Enemy Mine and tell people you don't like it as much as you like. If anyone said "Osiris stop complaining about that episode" I'd defend you, because you have your right to your opinion. I know a lot of people for whom Enemy Mine is their favourite season 7 episode. And I'm not surprised that some people like it and some people dislike it - heck we're all different and we all like different things! It is what makes the world a great place to live.

What I do object strongly to is people being told that they're wrong to express an opinion. If you disagree with what people say about Grace, for example, then disagree with them. But you, nor anyone else, has the right to tell them that they're wrong to express an opinion.

GateGipsy
May 10th, 2004, 08:30 AM
Life means nothing if you don't love and are not loved by someone.
woah now, so you're saying that if someone chooses to live their lives without a partner, they're nothing?

True a life without love isn't much of a life - but by that I mean any love at all. Romantic love I believe someone can live without and still have a life full of meaning.

While I no longer subscribe to the catholic church I've known quite a few nuns who've had amazing lives dedicated to helping others, and who've made a huge impact on me as well. Does their lives 'mean nothing'?

Two of my aunts lived their entire lives without a partner, they travelled, they had jobs they loved, they had family that loved them, they had very full lives. Would you still say that their lives 'mean nothing'?

And heck I'm not even going to go into the numerous friends I've known over my life who have all made a life choice to be single.

Personally, I too chose not to have a partner. I loved my life, and everything I was doing, and felt no need at all to have a partner to enhance that. I met my husband and fell in love, but I wasn't looking for a partner to complete my life and in fact, worried more that getting married would make my life less perfect. But I didn't need my partner to complete anything - I was complete without him. (We've been very happily married for just over 12 years).

Likewise, I've always thought Sam didn't 'need' anyone - that if she ever found a life partner it would be because it just happened, not because she wasn't complete in some way without a life partner. And if she didn't find a life partner then I always thought her life would still be perfect without one. For that reason Grace just didn't fit with the character I've always known, so I would have to say that's my least favourite of Season 7 for that reason.

MagnoliaAnaglypta
May 10th, 2004, 09:27 AM
[QUOTE=GateGipsy]

Personally, I too chose not to have a partner. I loved my life, and everything I was doing, and felt no need at all to have a partner to enhance that. I met my husband and fell in love, but I wasn't looking for a partner to complete my life and in fact, worried more that getting married would make my life less perfect. But I didn't need my partner to complete anything - I was complete without him. (We've been very happily married for just over 12 years).

QUOTE]

Thank you Gipsy, for that, very well put. Too many people take being loved by someone as a substitute for self-esteem and self-respect - that's why there are so many battered and abused spouses in our society. But if you don't have those two things first, then all the love in the world heaped upon you isn't enough to enable you to feel truly complete and contented.

Like you, I have many friends who have chosen to live single and are completely happy with that choice. I find it an incredibly old fashioned attitude to assume that a person cannot be complete without a sexual partner. You would probably be very surprised at the number of people who choose to live celibate and are perfectly happy with that choice.

There are many different kinds of love in the world apart from love of partner; love of children (shock horror, doesn't always go hand in hand with love of partner...) love of parents, friends, love of duty, love of God - I put last that which many religious people would state as first and most important. But a choice to dedicate ones life to a cause or a principle or a belief is just as valid as a choice to have a partner.

Osiris
May 10th, 2004, 09:36 AM
I said I dislike Enemy Mine but didn't say I hate this episode because season 7 sucks or because there's no Jack bla, bla, bla, bla... it's that I call complaining. I still love this episode but it's my least fave, that's all.

And, considering that love is very important in life, I mean also friendship. I'm sorry if I cannot express myself very well but english isn't my mother linguage: that's why it's hard to express my feelings and opinions without being categorical.
And I never said you couldn't do anything without a partner! It's good to feel loved and have a sexuality sometimes, but that doesn't mean you need a "partner" everytime! Sam has staid alone for 7 years! not 1 year or a few months... I just think it's more realistic to show her life outside the SGC.
However, I agree with you: a whole episode focused on her lovelife wasn't necessary, and I wish Osiris' plot would have been more developped.
I respect your opinion.
I see so much negativity on sg1 fora, people complaining there is no Jack or too much Sam (Samgate...). But it's the last season, so why not just enjoying the episodes?
It's not the fans who decide whever a character should be like this or like that: only the cast & writters can. It's their show, not ours.

I think we (the fans) are very passionate with the show and project ourselves (our personal situation, opinion, feelings) in it: so, when we identify ourselves to a character, its hard to see a character taking a desicision/choice that we wouldn't have taken at his place. I think I understand your point now.

Thank you very much: you make me question myself. I wish my post would be understandable...

Take care

Dani347
May 10th, 2004, 12:39 PM
Btw, You should be single for saying that there's people who are happy single.

I suppose that comment isn't personal either? Honey, I am single. Oh, I suppose I should be crying. Sorry, I'm too happy.

I refer to some of RDA comments on the DVD extra.

RDA said that the people who don't like Grace aren't as intelligent as the writers and producers? So, what, he's insulting the viewers? Because whoever said it, it still sounds like an insult.

But it's the last season, so why not just enjoying the episodes?

Simple. The episodes have things I don't like. How can anyone force themselves to enjoy something? You either do or you don't, and it doesn't matter if it's the last season or not.

I said I dislike Enemy Mine but didn't say I hate this episode because season 7 sucks or because there's no Jack bla, bla, bla, bla... it's that I call complaining. I still love this episode but it's my least fave, that's all.

So, saying you dislike an episode is fine, but once you actually give a reason, that's complaining? Sorry, but saying why isn't complaining. It's saying why. And, since it's a personal thing for each person, I don't think any reason is invalid. And, people don't have to like every episode. I don't mean even saying it's their least favorite, but they like it anyway. It's perfectly okay to totally hate an episode. Which is how I feel about Grace.

Osiris
May 10th, 2004, 01:57 PM
Dani347: Read all my post please. I'm sorry if you don't understand my humor: I'm not smarter than everyone here. I accept your opinion so accept mine.
And don't quote my post and use sentences out of context... :P I made my mea culpa so don't attack me please. ;)
Btw, I dislike feeling hate against something or somebody, I prefer love... If I hate episodes or a whole season, why should I continue to watch the show or post in this forum?! :S

Dani347
May 10th, 2004, 02:22 PM
Dani347: Read all my post please. I'm sorry if you don't understand my humor: I'm not smarter than everyone here. I accept your opinion so accept mine.
And don't quote my post and use sentences out of context...

I read the entire post. I quoted the part I was responding to. I don't quote parts that aren't part of my response. That was what I learned to do when responding to a post. Quote the pertinent information. Sorry if that means taking things out of context. And, I wasn't attacking.

Anyway, I'm tired of this. So, back on topic. Grace is my least favorite of this season (and quite possibly the entire show) and Avenger 2.0. is my second least favorite. That one was just boring. Felger (that's his name right?) was annoying. I don't like either episode at all, and I completely hated Grace.

GateGipsy
May 11th, 2004, 03:42 AM
And, considering that love is very important in life, I mean also friendship. I'm sorry if I cannot express myself very well but english isn't my mother linguage: that's why it's hard to express my feelings and opinions without being categorical.
And I never said you couldn't do anything without a partner! It's good to feel loved and have a sexuality sometimes, but that doesn't mean you need a "partner" everytime!
Ah, I see. Thanks for clarifying that. If it is any consolation, your English was good enough that I didn't pick it up as being written by a non-English speaker to start with! Now I can see by the phrasing that you use that English isn't your first language.

I'm afraid that the choice of words you used did indeed make it seem very much like that was what you were saying! I'm very glad that it isn't the case. Thanks for taking the time to explain - it is always best to clear up misundestandings.

On another matter - earlier in your post you said:

I don't think anyone has written off an episode purely because it was in Season 7, and they've decided they didn't like Season 7. If anyone has done that, it would be a very small minority, and definitely not enough to say that people who don't like Grace are just 'complaining'. So I stand by what I said earlier - you haven't convinced me otherwise. :)

If someone says they don't like an episode or hated an episode because it had too little Jack in it, or too little ship, or too much ship, or not enough Daniel, or too much Daniel etc, then that's OK too - those are just opinions too, and everyone is entitled to them. Now if they go on and on about it ... well some people might see that as complaining, but without all the verbal and facial cues we use to convey meaning in real life it is too hard to tell. Look at the response people had to your post - all that arose from reading intent into your words that wasn't meant, it was simply that you don't have English as a first language.

And still, to label ALL people who say they don't like a particular episode as having the same reason for not liking that episode and saying they're ALL complaining - well again, you can see how that might get some people's backs up. I'm sure that you've not intended that at all, but anyone who has said they don't like Grace will now feel that you think they're nothing but a complainer, and that their opinion is worthless in your eyes. And that's why people can get upset.

Now with Chimera - well I did like that episode a lot. But the Osiris storyline was much bigger than they seemed to realise, and it really deserved a full episode on its own. We still don't know - how did Osiris get there? Where was her ship? Was she on her own? If she wasn't - and what goa'uld would travel without servants - where are they? Too many questions! And that bugs me enough to make it sometimes an episode I like and sometimes and episode I don't like!

Osiris
May 11th, 2004, 11:32 AM
GateGipsy: thank you. I thought everyone here begun to hate me... :(
I agree with most of your last post.
I was in a bad mood.
And thank you for your complement: my english is not so bad after all!

I agree with you on Chimera: the Osiris plot deserved a whole episode but maybe we will learn more about Osiris/Sarah on Season 8... I really enjoy this character and the actress so I hope we'll see her more next season. She has so much potential with her goa'uld knowledge!
In France, Grace & Fallout aired last friday, so I was very disapointed to see all those bad comment on the first one as I really enjoyed it. Chimera and Death Knell will air this friday and I can't wait to watch (again, this time in VF) the first one: the great god Osiris is returning, and the rivers of the Earth are running red with blood!
OOps, I'm a bit offtopic... lol

Slainte
May 11th, 2004, 12:42 PM
It isn't an insult. I refer to some of RDA comments on the DVD extra. .
For those of us in the US who don't get S7 DVDs and the extras for a while, would those fortunate ones who do have access to them please post the quotations when referring to them. It's a little extra work, I know, but it would be so nice to see the relevant quote.:)

Osiris
May 11th, 2004, 01:00 PM
Stargate: The Lowdown

sidious618
May 11th, 2004, 01:14 PM
Fallout.

It was boring if you ask me.

dove0709
May 11th, 2004, 02:37 PM
Stargate: The Lowdown

OK I cant remember any comment from RDA about the intelligence (or not) of the audience in The Lowdown. I have skimmed though it again and couldnt find anything.

He certainly has not made any comment in the season 7 DVDs either regarding the episode of Grace and/or the viewers/audience in anyway.

Are you thinking of this comment he made on a season 4 DVD :- "I remember hearing that you have to dumb down material to meet the main stay audience, which I thought was one of the most offensive things I'd ever heard..............Thats ludicrous, give us all the benefit of the doubt if nothing else but certainly give us credit for being intelligent beings. There is intelligence in humour bring it up and maybe sow the seeds of a grander idea, by speaking in more loftier way or about loftier ideas. Dont dumb it down so a cow could understand it. That's not me."

I cant see how RDA is insulting the audience's here either. Is this the quote you mean, if not I would be very interested to hear of the quote that you are refering to.

SpACatta
May 11th, 2004, 04:25 PM
Space Race

Avenger 2.0 (tolerable, and somewhat funny, but not very good)

Evolution 1 and 2 (because the super-soldier looks like the Masked Rider, and isn't all that threatening looking, and is just kinda unoriginal after the X-Files' play on the super-soldier genetic engineering thing)

Osiris
May 12th, 2004, 04:16 AM
Are you thinking of this comment he made on a season 4 DVD :- "I remember hearing that you have to dumb down material to meet the main stay audience, which I thought was one of the most offensive things I'd ever heard..............Thats ludicrous, give us all the benefit of the doubt if nothing else but certainly give us credit for being intelligent beings. There is intelligence in humour bring it up and maybe sow the seeds of a grander idea, by speaking in more loftier way or about loftier ideas. Dont dumb it down so a cow could understand it. That's not me."

I cant see how RDA is insulting the audience's here either. Is this the quote you mean, if not I would be very interested to hear of the quote that you are refering to.

Yeah, that's it. And I never said RDA insulted the audience!!! :eek:
I explained myself in other posts... sorry if my post was a bit rude. ;)

Madeleine
May 12th, 2004, 06:42 AM
Thanks for posting that quote from RDA, it is nice to know that the silliness that he puts into Jack isn't an attempt to treat the audience as fools.

Still, I do feel that in behaving like a buffoon when he is The Hero, The Star, a character we are supposed to admire and hence consider worthy of emulation, he is dumbing down the show. He's presenting idiocy as a desireable trait, and I don't enjoy that.

Washing his mobile and being very late for a briefing cos of a crossword puzzle, that's supposed to be... what? Cool (- hey, I'm the Big Man and I can be as late as I want)? Amusing (- isn't it funny how I can act like a fourteen-year-old and get away with it)? Surreal (- the Airforce have accidentally hired Homer Simpson and no one has noticed)?

Jack *is* a brilliant leader and tactician. He seems ashamed though to admit to being intelligent or even competent. He is the person in whom the Asgard saw all of the potential and worth of the human race; but I'm jolly glad that SG-1 first met the Asgard in s2 cos if they'd met Jack for the first time just recently then it'd be 50/50 that they'd have been on the phone to the system lords within minutes to tell them Hey, there are some semi-intelligent beings over there who could benefit from a bit of slavery and domination.

ShadowMaat
May 12th, 2004, 08:06 AM
Still, I do feel that in behaving like a buffoon when he is The Hero, The Star, a character we are supposed to admire and hence consider worthy of emulation, he is dumbing down the show. He's presenting idiocy as a desireable trait, and I don't enjoy that.

Amen. For all RDA's lofty claims about not dumbing things down, Jack sure seems to have been dumbed down from what he was in earlier seasons. If there's one thing guaranteed to irritate me, it's an intentionally stupid character. It's why I didn't like Felger in Avenger 2.0 and it's why I haven't enjoyed Jack for a couple of seasons, now.

If you ask me, there's a difference between hiding your intelligence and acting like a complete imbecile. Not only is the latter not fun for me to watch, but as you said, it sets a bad example. Intelligence is NOT a shameful quality.

It boggles me that the Asgard can think Jack is a shining example of the capabilities of humanity. I can't help but think, "They don't know him very well, do they?" ;) I know intelligence isn't necessarily the end all, be all of existence, and I know Jack is smart in a lot of different ways, but I don't think we've seen much of that, especially not in recent years. I'd like to believe that Jack could be this wise and wonderful thing, but I can't accept it, not with what we've been given.

I always figured Jack was able to download the archive in Fifth Race because he had more empty space in his head than most people. ;)

marythebadger
May 13th, 2004, 01:49 PM
[QUOTE=Captain Amazing]What is your least favourite episode of Season 7?

there are a multitide of co-winners of this (dubious) distinction...

Grace & Chimera (chick flicks, not science fiction)...
Avenger (an hour of boring Carter worship)...
Fallout... (they just conveniently happen to have developed the very one and only bit of technology they need? Oiy)
Second half of Enemy Mine...
Space Race (derivative, trite,)...
one of the huge problems of S7 was it's over reliance on outside characters... instead of being about SG-1, we have huge portions of episodes devoted to the likes of Felger, Bregman, Warrick, the space race announcers, etc.... the show is still (I think) titled Stargate SG-1 not Stargate Someone....

Livi2Jack
May 16th, 2004, 07:58 PM
Revisions. Couldn't care less about the people and the solution was so simple...tranquilizer darts and move 'em....don't waste time.

Odens återkomst
May 17th, 2004, 04:52 AM
What is your least favourite episode of Season 7?

My vote goes to Space Race.

Could be my least favourite episode of Stargate ever! It really didn't work for me.

I couldn't agree more.

Madeleine
May 17th, 2004, 06:11 AM
<<Weil es so offentlichtlich ist, braucht es länger Zeit, erkannt zu werden. Wenn du sofort erkennst, dass das Kerzenlicht Feuer ist, wurde das Mahl vor langer Zeit bereitet. >>

Oma shoudn't speak German. It took me a long time to think of her as 'Oma Desala' and not 'Granny Desala'. You'll confuse me :P .

Odens återkomst
May 17th, 2004, 08:01 AM
<<Weil es so offentlichtlich ist, braucht es länger Zeit, erkannt zu werden. Wenn du sofort erkennst, dass das Kerzenlicht Feuer ist, wurde das Mahl vor langer Zeit bereitet. >>

Oma shoudn't speak German. It took me a long time to think of her as 'Oma Desala' and not 'Granny Desala'. You'll confuse me :P .

Yes, haha. But I always thought of her as "Grandmother Nature," as introduced in Maternal Instinct (Harsesis' Rettung). I actually took this line from the monk in that episode, but yes, Oma Desala does repeat it in Meridian (Die Entscheidung). I do love that line though, it is very wise.

auralan
May 17th, 2004, 09:01 AM
I'm tempted to say Enemy Mine because the Unas bore me to tears, but I have to go with Fallout. I hate to do it because I have a serious thing for Parker Lewis, but the episode actively sucked even with the sound turned off and just looking at the pretty pictures.

First there's the science -- or shall I say lack of science. Also logic went on vacation. This less advanced society decided to build a tunnel to the center of the earth machine when they have so many other problems? And with really crappy control systems only one person can use? It's too expensive and would never work. Just do a little math with the engineer or geophysicist of your choosing. Heat and pressure didn't work they way they should. Continental geology wasn't so accurate either -- no matter what klugeite was plated on the outside of the thing. The heat and pressure in that tin can should have killed them several times over. They never should have been able to breathe in that tunnel or even survive the heat for more than a second or two -- no matter how many snakes in the head that girl had. I could rant much, much longer, but lets assume I ignore this plot and look at the rest of the episode. What's left?

Politics and bickering. That sounds like about as much fun as a bikini wax. And short of one adlibbed line from RDA, it was.

I love Parker Lewis, but this one is just unwatchable in my book.

Webbgirl
May 17th, 2004, 12:54 PM
Grace

It has to rank up there with worst of all time. There was no point to it whatsoever.

Avenger 2.0 came in a distant 2nd. That was just some adolecent male fantasy all the way around. I'm surprised Anise didn't show up part way through.

Aphrodite
May 26th, 2004, 05:53 AM
There's several in fact....I mean all in all, S7 wasn't up to scratch for me....didn't like Enemy Mine....Unas just look plain ugly. Space Race was just plain boring, and Heroes Pt2 only because they killed off Dr. Fraiser...I really liked her character.

madfrenchie
June 28th, 2004, 11:26 AM
Chimera- b/c I had so much respect for Sam previously, now she's going to have to redeem herself.

Iskandra
June 28th, 2004, 12:04 PM
Yes, haha. But I always thought of her as "Grandmother Nature," as introduced in Maternal Instinct (Harsesis' Rettung). I actually took this line from the monk in that episode, but yes, Oma Desala does repeat it in Meridian (Die Entscheidung). I do love that line though, it is very wise.

Goodness, don't remind me....dear granny....it kind of sucks in German.

But shouldn't your sig read "offensichtlich"? (Yeah, nitpicking, I know...)

My least favourite episode was Space Race, down to the title and all. Probably because it could have been any other sci fi series...it just didn't have anything special Stargate related that worked for me.

Avenger is a close second, due to what most other people in this thread have already mentioned...Felger and the embarrassing adolescent fantasy thing...

Innocent_Lex
June 28th, 2004, 02:17 PM
I think it was a tie between Avenger 2.0 and Grace.

Avenger 2.0 was probably one of the worst Stargate episodes of all time - but Grace wasn't a Stargate episode at all - just a poor imitation of Star Trek, with Sam replaced by a pod person, who unfortunately took over for most of the rest of the season.

SallyK
I think this is my first post on the new forum, so it feels a bit weird posting in such a negative thread. Ah well.

Anyway, I agree completely with you, Sally, although Avenger 2.0 was *definitely* the worst ep of all time, IMO. It was nothing more than a teenage boy's fantasy, which showed Sam in a terrible light as someone who was incompetent and unable to assess a fellow scientist's abilities. For someone who has been shown previously to be skilled with computers, knowing more than most about the gate systems, that she let a virus go live without testing it or assessing the risks was completely unbelievable.

And Grace was the ep where Sam Carter regressed into a 1950's era teenage girl. Good golly, that was a shock. All along I'd thought she was a great example of a professional woman, and then this episode comes along. Such a shame.

Hmm, it looks like the worst eps were the ones that showed Sam in a very bad light. Looks like I'm quite protective of the character. I used to love her, too. It's all a bit depressing.

cheers,
Lex

Madeleine
June 28th, 2004, 08:07 PM
There there. ::Makes Lex a nice cup of tea::

Unless you're Ignoring me here too ;)

Anubis
June 28th, 2004, 11:20 PM
Avenger was a awful episode but it did star Felger. Shame it didn't show Coombs

uknesvuinng
June 29th, 2004, 01:51 AM
Avenger was a awful episode but it did star Felger. Shame it didn't show Coombs

Indeed. Felgar without Coombs is like Laurel without Hardy, Fred Flintstone without Barney Rubble, or pancakes without syrup. The interactions between Felgar and Coombs are what made "The Other Guys" as funny as it was. Take away Coombs and you just have a character drowning in "geek" cliches that ceases to be funny and instead grates at the nerves.

This of course does not reflect upon Patrick McKenna, who's portrayal of Harold in The Red Green Show is hilarious.

Anubis
June 29th, 2004, 03:57 AM
So glad someone agrees with me!

Iskandra
June 29th, 2004, 04:34 AM
I also agree with you on that - I *do* like the geeky types, but not like that - not just walking talking cliches....I would have liked to have Coombs there as well...

Anubis
June 29th, 2004, 07:03 AM
YAY! Someone else... :D

Vicki
June 30th, 2004, 03:33 AM
My least favourite episode of the entire series, much less Season 7, is "Heroes, Part 2".

For the simple reason they killed off my favourite character

*shrugs*

Vicki

ShadowMaat
June 30th, 2004, 03:48 AM
Revisions. No matter how bad Avenger was, at least it had some interesting ideas and it made me laugh a few times. Revisions was just dull, dull, dull, DULL. It was a stupid idea with a stupid set-up, unimaginative characters, a ridiculous twist, and a really boring resolution. There was nothing new, there was nothing exciting, there was no sense of drama or personal danger, it was all just tediously dull. Just my opinion, of course.

Anubis
June 30th, 2004, 07:47 AM
I have to agree, Revisions was a pretty poor episode

langdonboom
July 16th, 2004, 06:34 AM
I thoguht Space Race was really hilarious! It would not have worked as an early-season episode but it really did walk the line nicely between camp and actual SG-universe history. I especially loved Tealc's "asking" to accompany Major Carter. And the video/society stuff was like right out of Verhooven/Starship Troopers in its satire.

All in all I thought a nice change of pace without totally going off the rails.

My least fave was Probably Grace, because I like the Unas. If for no other reason, I like the Unas beacuse I'm sorta tired of an entire universe of HUMANS!!

aAnubiSs
July 16th, 2004, 06:39 AM
Revisions, no doubt about it. Stand-alone ep with no character growth whatsoever, could just as easily have been a season1 episode.

langdonboom
July 16th, 2004, 07:12 AM
But haven't many of us been complaining that we don't get enough off-world team-based eps since Season 4? I thought Revisions, while not the best ever, was a great entry in keeping that flavor in SG-1 still.

I liked it well enough, especially since I really enjoy seeing the various Human evolutions on disparate planets....

So in my opinion Grace sucked worse since it was one of those "actors not playing their real characters but one character's 'vision' of those characters", I really hate that. Its a way for the characters to appear but not 'REALLY' appear. Every Sci-Fi show has done it, though.

astronomicalchick
July 16th, 2004, 08:20 AM
I watched "Resurrection" I know I did, but I can't remember what happened.

I didn't like "Chimera", because of sloppy writing and it was boring - they should have concentrated on the Daniel storyline...

Jonisa
July 16th, 2004, 08:57 AM
For me it's a tie between Space Race and Avenger 2.0. Boring, boring, boring.

langdonboom
July 16th, 2004, 09:06 AM
I still want to see what the heck is going on with Sara after Chimera! That was the biggest let-down for me, no denouement to speak of and now no mention of her ever since! Shouldn't she have Goa'uld knowledge, especially of Anbuis?

And is Isis now 'dead' or given to the tokra, or what?? That was my biggest peeve with Chimera.

aAnubiSs
July 16th, 2004, 09:07 AM
You mean Osiris.

langdonboom
July 16th, 2004, 09:26 AM
oops, right sorry Osiris. Isis died in his sleepy jar.

DownFallAngel
July 16th, 2004, 12:15 PM
Isis was a she....Osiris is the he. he took a female body, to escape detection or w\e.

I would say..Enemy Mine or Ressurection. Both were.....sucks. But AT did a good directing job on Ressurection.

Mio
July 16th, 2004, 12:49 PM
...even though gou'ald's really don't have genders persay :)

aAnubiSs
July 16th, 2004, 12:58 PM
Mio is the worst episode in Season Seven! :D

MasterPower
July 28th, 2004, 07:02 AM
Grace sucked and it was the worst season 7 episode.

Liv
August 2nd, 2004, 06:43 AM
I would have to agree with a lot of people here, in that Grace probably was my least favourite episode of s7. It just dragged on and on and didn´t hold my interest at all. Also, didn´t like the obvious parallells to Star Trek.

Anubis
August 2nd, 2004, 06:59 AM
I agree, there were some quite deep Star Trek refrences within this episode, but you'd have had to seen a bit of Star Trek to understand it! ;)

Liv
August 2nd, 2004, 07:12 AM
but you'd have had to seen a bit of Star Trek to understand it! ;)

True. :) I actually quite like Star Trek (well, except for Voyager and Enterprise, but we won´t get into that) but it´s a bit annoying to hear sentences like "shields are down 69%" and "iniate evasive maneuver Delta now" on Stargate.

Anubis
August 4th, 2004, 09:03 PM
Yeah I agree. They should just say something like shields failing.

Erik Pasternak
August 4th, 2004, 09:41 PM
Yeah I agree. They should just say something like shields failing.They've said "shields failing" on Star Trek.

Anubis
August 4th, 2004, 10:28 PM
Yeah I know, but we don't need exact points!

Erik Pasternak
August 4th, 2004, 11:22 PM
Yeah I know, but we don't need exact points!Really? Cause I think we do:p . Anyway, my least favorite episode of season seven: "Grace," hands down.

Genty
August 5th, 2004, 03:10 AM
Is... Was it me or where there just too many Daniel Episodes in S7? Life Boat... Enemy Mine...

On topic though, the worst was easily Enemy Mine... It was just soooo boring....

auralan
August 5th, 2004, 04:46 AM
I watched "Resurrection" I know I did, but I can't remember what happened.

I didn't like "Chimera", because of sloppy writing and it was boring - they should have concentrated on the Daniel storyline...

That pretty much sums up those two episodes for me, too. Although I have an additional vague recollection of thinking Resurrection was more x-files than stargate.

Chimera was just a mess from a writing perspective. The Sarah/Osiris/Daniel story needed a more than half an episode to resolve and really should have probably been set up an episode ahead with some early symptoms from Daniel. The timelines were also wonky. It was so hard to tell what was happening when in relation to other episdoes and even within the episode itself. And our good friend contrivance was working overtime to bring the two plots together and managed not to do any favors to either.

aschen
August 5th, 2004, 04:58 AM
I didn't like Fallout. *yawn*

napa244
August 5th, 2004, 08:05 AM
It wasn't great, but Inauguration was more boring. Politics!

Anubis
August 5th, 2004, 01:18 PM
I didn't mind Inauguration, I like the new President. And it had quite a good set-up line for the ending! ;)

Erik Pasternak
August 5th, 2004, 08:53 PM
I didn't mind Inauguration, I like the new President. And it had quite a good set-up line for the ending! ;)
I too liked "Inaguration." To me, it made Stargate seem a little more real.

Anubis
August 6th, 2004, 01:42 AM
I agree with you, introducing a 'newly elected' person was a good idea so we could actually see his face.

Ancient 1
August 6th, 2004, 06:48 AM
I too liked "Inaguration." To me, it made Stargate seem a little more real.
And in the long run, it was one step closer to getting rid of Kinsey! Cox's character really pissed me off! He was fun to hate.

Muldy_SG1
August 10th, 2004, 11:48 PM
I liked Grace, well not all of...but when it was being spooky I liked it *loves spooky stuff* *mumblessomethinboutlikingtheshippynesstoo*

I also...strangely...liked most of Chimera (they overdid the Pete thing but I still liked it sorta) I dunno why I did! But I thought it had its funny moments...

Sam: "Maybe you should talk to someone about it..."
Daniel: "I was..."

I liked the episode - but I agree, it shoulda been split in too!

My least fav eps (its a draw) of season 7 would have to be Enemy Mine and Orpheus.

Dunno why I didnt like Orpheus, but I was falling asleep. And whoever said Ressurections was an X-files episode, I totally agree

Except a boring X-files episode...

:rolleyes:

I liked Inauguration (although I dont think I'd watch it too many times) only because of the President!! GOD KINSEY'S ANNOYING! But I love hating him! lol! I reckon Politics was slightly better than Inauguration....just cos SG-1 was actually in it...

Anubis
August 11th, 2004, 01:08 AM
And in the long run, it was one step closer to getting rid of Kinsey! Cox's character really pissed me off! He was fun to hate.

That's the only positive thing about him, you've got to hate him. He's so darn right evil and goes against whatever anyone, including himself says.

Replicarter
August 11th, 2004, 05:09 AM
Ok, if I must do this, then I think I will pick episode 1…..

…..To 21

Ok, they maybe weren’t all that bad but almost every episode apart from the best sg-1 episode ever, The Lost City part 2 were to boring, the worst were episodes:
Fallen
Homecoming (apart from the attack on Anubis’ ship, which was cool)
Orpheus
Revisions
Lifeboat (funny when denial is talking)
Enemy mine
Avenger 2.0
Birthright
Fallout
Death knell
Resurrection

The only episodes a liked were:
Heroes
Evolution
Chimera
Lost City
Which are not enough good episodes in a season.

Anubis
August 11th, 2004, 09:34 AM
The only episodes a liked were:
Heroes
Evolution
Chimera
Lost City
Which are not enough good episodes in a season.

I agree with each and every one you posted. Every one you posted as a like/dislike I had the same thoughts. Well, I think a couple of them to me were just 'time wasters' and I want those hours of my life back if I had know they'd be so bad. But I enjoy the show!

Replicarter
August 12th, 2004, 06:21 AM
http://www.alphawebspace.com/~karl/GWPT.gif

Oh, I’ll always enjoy the show, and I would still watch the boring ones if i new how boring they would be because I support the show and I still need my weekly does of Stargate, or I can start to feel a little faint lol.

http://www.alphawebspace.com/~karl/GWPB.gif

Wyrminarrd
August 14th, 2004, 11:11 AM
Enemy mine get´s my vote

Ancient 1
September 5th, 2004, 09:47 PM
Enemy mine get´s my vote
Same here. I already saw the movie by the same name at least 15 years ago!

honzix
September 7th, 2004, 05:30 AM
Enemy mine get´s my vote
Mine too.It´s the only episode where I felt asleep while watching it :S

Lord Zedd
September 7th, 2004, 12:38 PM
Hi everybody I'm Anubis and I must say I didn't like the episode space race
It was a very cheap episode I must say It could have been interesting when I,the great and powerfull Anubis,would have interupted the race and conquered the planet.The commercials were a bit funny to see.Now I have to go back and defeating the pesky SystemLords.Then the Tauri are next hahahahahahahahahahahahah :D

Kliggins
September 9th, 2004, 10:58 PM
I would have to be Enemy Mine/Grace in a tie as they were the only two episodes I taped over.

Ramne
September 9th, 2004, 11:01 PM
Grace... it's one of the very few SG eps where I kept looking at the clock, thinking 'is this almost over yet?'

Spiderman
September 19th, 2004, 10:25 AM
the least favourite episode?Need time to think there were a lot of them :D :D
lifeboat ?? nee enemy mine? nee grace?yes but space race was SO the worst

Uncle Dick
September 19th, 2004, 10:57 AM
"Grace" wins the honors for me. It promeniently featured the two things I don't like about latter day Stargate: starships and relationships. "Resurrection" was so boring that I couldn't stand to watch the whole thing, but "Grace" was worse.

langdonboom
January 26th, 2005, 01:10 PM
just watched Grace again. Now that I wasn't expecting any real storyline development, it was actually pretty moving as a character piece for Carter. So I like it again, despite the actors-appearing-not-as-their-characters-but-as-figments-of-the-other-character's-imagination.

though I did detect some 'why am I here?' vibes from Michael Shanks' performance, specifically the line about "sentient being". It reminded me of how much of RDA's dialogue sounds these days -- like behind the words they're going "oh lets just get through this!"

defina91rvc
January 26th, 2005, 02:13 PM
I'd have to go with Ressurection. The filming and everything was fine but the plot just seemed awfully unrealistic.

Cinephilic TV Addict
February 7th, 2005, 06:12 PM
In my book, the worst is easily space race, but there are sooooo many bad ones that it'd be easier just to name the good ones (Orpheus and the Lost City are the only ones I can name right off the top of my head that were good enough to be mentioned, but both still had their problems).

emily_reich
February 7th, 2005, 06:53 PM
season 7....

chimera.... without a doubt...

followed closely by inauguration, which *SHOULD* have had major davis back again but didn't!!!! :o :mad: plus it was a boring clipshow....

Albion
February 8th, 2005, 02:49 AM
About a third of the episodes in S7 did nothing for me.

Fallout was just boring. I wasn't interested enough in the character of Jonas in S6 - which wasn't the fault of either character or actor. I just didn't think enough was done by TPTB to integrate him into SG1 and make him different and separate from the character of Daniel. He was shortchanged imo - and was bored by the episodes we spent on his planet then. So going back there in S7 was a hideous reminder of...dang, what's that one where his professor goes loopy? Bored me so much I can't even recall the name...anyway, that one. :D

Inauguration - another example of how not to do a clip show. Where you get the impression the writers thought they could slack off for a week and just not have a plot since it was a bunch of clips. "Hey, how are we going to link this bunch of clips together? Oh, I know, let's just put a few people in a room and give them a 'problem' to chew over endlessly and repeatedly, going around and around in meaningless circles and coming to no conclusion for a whole hour...until the final five minutes, when we'll wrap it all up and give them the answer..." Bleah!

Resurrection - seemed to me to just be a re-run of Menace and Menace did it waaaaaaaaaaaaaay better. Especially when it came to the relationship between Daniel and the slightly weird teenage girl part. In Menace it was touching and poignant and enthralling to watch. In Resurrection - who cared?

I understand that this episode is such a mess because it was a plot that MS pitched some time previously which as time went on had all the 'good bits' weeded out of it and used in other episodes. Then they decided to go with what they had left. Bad plan imo. There wasn't enough left to make a decent episode and it should have been left in the 'good idea but never got off the ground' file.

There were other episodes that didn't quite hit the mark with me - Lifeboat, Space Race, Revisions - but they at least have their moments and bits of them I do enjoy. The three above just have no redeeming factors for me at all. Well...except maybe the teaser of Inauguration. You have to laugh at the new president's reactions to finding out there's a Stargate. LOL. After that though it went speediily downhill into snoozeland for this viewer.

Albion :)

animoid
February 8th, 2005, 08:02 AM
Albion, you summed it up nicely. :)
Inauguration was a waste of time, I don't think I will watch it again. It made me cringe.

JackDaniels
February 9th, 2005, 10:18 AM
Now this took me a while to think of. I actually quite liked season 7 as a whole, though I'm sure once i've got the season 7 boxset at the end of this month (yay!) then I may think differently, but here's the ones that stood out most to me, and I will admit, as someone who has seen 18 of the 20 episodes of season 8, some of my opinions are based on this but I won't spoil - I promise!

Avenger 2.0
Felger was kinda funny in The Other Guys. But he was just useless here, it wasn't funny, it wasn;t clever and given his past I wouldn't understand why he would be given a direct link to the stargate nor why anyone would think that he was worth a whole episode. It's only redeeming feature - its necessity for Reckoning Pt.2

Space Race
The only bit of this that was remotely funny was Daniel and Teal'c when they were 'trying not to get caught' in their stupid outfits. But to me, the episode had an air of ST: Voyager about it. It only attempted to become interesting with the 'conspiracyu' but even that wasn't really enough to hold my attention.

Inaugration
A bad clip show. Disclosure and Citizen Joe did it better and at least had more of a story to them. The only reason for this episode was to tell us we had a new president and that Kinsey in an ass - one we could have been told in a couple of seconds, the other we already knew. This episode served as the presidents realisation that things might have to change and set up Weir and Jack for their big changes, which was all well and good, but it could have been the teaser of 'Lost City' and saved us all the pain of a very unimaginative episode.

I've been looking over other people's episodes and I have to admit although Resurrection isn't a fav, I love AT's direction in this episode and Dr Lee in general (they should use him more!).

As for Chimera. I'll proabbly be shot for saying I like the episode, though should probably add that I do have a dendency to skim through the Sam/Pete stuff as watching Daniel look a) rugged and b) in that nice tight white t-shirt cheers me up anytime.

Jonzey
February 15th, 2005, 05:11 AM
Wow. A lot of people hated Space race. I thought it was great. It's one of the funnier ones. I just think a lot of people are taking it too seriously.
I think it showed a new side to Carter and Teal'c.
The whole thing really pokes fun at itself, and politics, and cliches, and corporate sponsorship, and competitive sports, and sports commentators. You just gotta bear that in mind when you watch it.
You can't watch it and think 'This is SG-1. They went to another planet to enter a race. That's crap'.

Albion
February 15th, 2005, 05:53 AM
I love AT's direction in this episode

Actually, that's one thing I did like about Resurrection. I thought AT's direction was imaginative and stylish. Thanks for the reminder.

You can't watch it and think 'This is SG-1. They went to another planet to enter a race. That's crap'.

Can if they want. :p It's called an opinion that differs from yours. ;)

Here's my opinion of Space Race. I didn't find it left me cold for the majority of the hour because I took it way too seriously. I'm a huge fan of the less serious Stargate episodes and unlike many other fans, I really love The Other Guys, Avenger 2.0 and Wormhole Extreme. They're among my top favourite episodes, which I revisit often, especially when I need cheering up. I find Felger hilarious and in Avenger 2.0, they added a poignancy to his character which I really liked. The scene with Carter on the bridge is deeply moving for me.

Anyway, I digress. Space Race. I cringed at the newscaster segments. Humour is a very personal thing and what one guy finds funny another finds appallingly wince-inducing. I just found them wince-inducing and I skip over them every single time I play the episode. There were some character moments I really loved in this one:

• Daniel quizzing Sam on why she was volunteering and Sam's delight at getting to take part in the race
• Teal'c slyly getting out of going to the meeting and Sam helping him along (in fact that whole scene - love Jack's reactions to the technical manual too)
• Jack's 'What did I tell you about getting caught by the enemy?' (paraphrasing here as I haven't seen it in a while)
• Jack's conversation with the receptionist
• the tag with Sam and Daniel
• The conversation on the ship with Sam and Jack
• ...and some others.

Where it failed, for me, was that there was no sense of suspense or tension in the race itself. I wasn't on the edge of my seat, I never believed Sam was in any real danger – that aspect of it just fell flat. They kept *telling* us she was in danger and that this was a very dangerous race. But I never saw any of that on screen. And I think the comic element of the newscaster segments just reinforced that lack of tension. If they weren't taking the race or the danger seriously - why should the viewer?

I'm not usually one to compare shows, but for me Voyager did this plotline better with its own version of the space race.

Albion :)

Jonzey
February 15th, 2005, 06:14 AM
I guess I just liked the newscaster bits cos they were so unbelievably cheesy and completely over the top. And the fact they always had an advert for tech con group at the end.

That made it funny for me, though I can see how others would disagree.

lionel_pendergast_rocks
February 15th, 2005, 08:29 PM
worst s7 eps. hmmm. resurrection, fragile balance and heroes part 1 (part two was awesome though)

Captain-Peregrine
February 16th, 2005, 10:25 AM
The one's whose titles I don't remember. Yeah...if they don't stick out, they weren't good enough for me. lol :rolleyes:

Cpn. Chris(tine) Bowman
February 16th, 2005, 01:46 PM
My least favorite is Birthright, then Orpheus (the Teal'c episodes this season weren't all that good) and Ressurection.

alz0rz
February 16th, 2005, 05:18 PM
I'd have to say, Space Race and Orpheus :(