PDA

View Full Version : Stargate Universe Updates?

GateMan2000
March 11th, 2008, 06:52 AM
Has anyone hear of anything else regarding this (whether it got the green light and if it will be out in 2009)? I know they close down threads awful fast but because they leaked the content shouldn't mean that we can't discuss it.

g.o.d
March 11th, 2008, 07:42 AM
still nothing. I hope we'll get an official info very soon

The_Carpenter
March 11th, 2008, 07:43 AM
still nothing. I hope we'll get an official info very soon
As do I

Bray
March 11th, 2008, 08:02 AM
Is Stargate Universe the MMORPG?

g.o.d
March 11th, 2008, 08:05 AM

no, it's a new TV series

The_Carpenter
March 11th, 2008, 08:06 AM
No, thats Stagate Worlds.

Stargate Universe is a proposed third Stargate Spinoff :D

edit- G.O.D beat me to it

Bray
March 11th, 2008, 08:07 AM
Oh I thought the spin off was going to be called the 9th Chevron or something :S

g.o.d
March 11th, 2008, 08:09 AM
Oh I thought the spin off was going to be called the 9th Chevron or something :S

no, it's called Stargate: Universe and deals with 9th chevron ;)

Admiral Mappalazarou
March 11th, 2008, 08:09 AM

I think it pretty much covers the same thing.

Bray
March 11th, 2008, 08:12 AM
Oh right cool, sounds like an interesting concept anyways. Can't wait for it to be released, if SG:A is still running it might be Stargate all year around :D

The_Carpenter
March 11th, 2008, 08:13 AM
Oh right cool, sounds like an interesting concept anyways. Can't wait for it to be released, if SG:A is still running it might be Stargate all year around :D
Apparently its going to have a different writing team so lets hope :D

Admiral Mappalazarou
March 11th, 2008, 08:16 AM
Apparently its going to have a different writing team so lets hope :D

HELL YEAH.:cameron:

somme
March 11th, 2008, 11:39 AM
Yay for different writing team!

g.o.d
March 11th, 2008, 11:48 AM
Yay for different writing team!

I hope so.BW and RCC + new writing team(separate from SG-1 and SGA) with fresh ideas

kirmit
March 11th, 2008, 11:53 AM
I think stargate really really needs a different writing team, like others have said, new ideas. I think atm the focus is on the stargate movies, once they're out the way I think we'll be hearing alot about the new series, assuming it gets green lighted.

Bray
March 11th, 2008, 12:00 PM
But what happens if the new writers are rubbish??

Like The Incredible Hulk rubbish??

Oh my god it's too painful to think about.

:D

kirmit
March 11th, 2008, 12:03 PM

TBH imo after some of the stuff we've gotten recently I don't see how they can be :P. BTW the incredible hulk rocks!

g.o.d
March 11th, 2008, 12:05 PM

they can't be worse than current SGA writing team. It's simply not possible to be worse than them

The_Carpenter
March 11th, 2008, 12:10 PM
they can't be worse than current SGA writing team. It's simply not possible to be worse than them
I think you'll find quite a few people who would disagree with that.

Jaffa Teal'c
March 11th, 2008, 12:11 PM
ya they anit done that bad of a job

The_Carpenter
March 11th, 2008, 12:12 PM
ya they anit done that bad of a job
I agree completely, the fact that we are getting a fifth season only supports that fact :)

kirmit
March 11th, 2008, 12:15 PM
I think you'll find quite a few people who would disagree with that.

And I think you'll find alot of people will also agree with what g.o.d. said.

g.o.d
March 11th, 2008, 12:20 PM
I agree completely, the fact that we are getting a fifth season only supports that fact :)

sorry, but it doesn't mean they're writing amazind episodes. Most of us would write better episodes than them. Read some fan-fiction

Jaffa Teal'c
March 11th, 2008, 12:22 PM
ya thats true but some r really good and its better then no stargate at all

The_Carpenter
March 11th, 2008, 12:24 PM
sorry, but it doesn't mean they're writing amazind episodes. Most of us would write better episodes than them. Read some fan-fiction
Tried some, didn't find it to my tastes

Now how about we bring this back on topic and not take into a thread on wether or not the SGA writers are doing a good job compared to fan fiction

g.o.d
March 11th, 2008, 12:26 PM
Tried some, didn't find it to my tastes

try some from s09119. His stories are great.

Now how about we bring this back on topic and not take into a thread on wether or not the SGA writers are doing a good job compared to fan fiction

I agree.

s09119
March 11th, 2008, 12:28 PM
try some from s09119. His stories are great.

Oh, crap. Now I either have to admit I write good stories and be arrogant or say that they aren't that good to be humble...

Or, better yet, I'll ignore that aspect of the conversation altogether!

Anywho, I think the quality lately has been... spotty. The franchise needs fresh ideas and a new look at things, and I think Universe can offer that if new writers head it up.

Durgia
March 11th, 2008, 12:29 PM
Well knowing that we cannot say anything about the leaked info, I don't have high hopes for the SGU series.

I would watch it, because I have watched all of stargate since the pilot episode but I really didn't like what we heard.

However I would love to see some new blood entered into the equation. New writers could do so much for the franchise. (Paid less I would imagine so keep costs lower and bring in those new fresh ideas we have all dreamed about )

Calhoun
March 11th, 2008, 12:38 PM
Looking back, the current writers have done a great job overall, bringing us hours of high-quality entertainment despite the recurring problem of running a franchise: how do you keep it fresh and exciting while remaining true to the original spirit of the show?

Some might say that the writers have recently dropped the ball in a couple of rather major areas (mainly, the changes in the Atlantis cast, and the new cast-members and enemies in SG-1), but I chalk some of that up to Stargate's ever-growing exposure and the expansion of the online community's interaction with TPTB. As the audience expands, there will naturally be more people dissatisfied with what they see, and the internet allows those people to be hear more quickly and far louder than in the "bad old days" of letter writing.

But, as much as I enjoy Stargate, I'm also aware that the writers have, to some extent, run out of bold new ideas for the franchise. There are not as many episodes dealing with unique "alien" cultures (historical or otherwise) or new science fiction concepts ("The Last Man", for example, reused concepts from earlier episodes like "1969" and "Before I Sleep"... albeit with rather good results).

Current episodes tend to expand upon pre-established characters, technologies and planets. When was the last time an SG team went through the stargate with no idea about what they might find, and found something they have never seen before or read about in an SG-1 mission report?

Overall, while I'm happy with the current writers, I'm glad to hear that a new writing team will be tackling SG:U. A new show needs a new direction and fresh ideas, and will hopefully get back to the core concept of a military team exploring a vast and unfamiliar galaxy.

So long as there are no Furlings. :p

jenks
March 11th, 2008, 01:13 PM

Fan-fic is almost entirely drivel, there are some great plots out there but generally horrible characterization.

somme
March 11th, 2008, 01:15 PM
I'm a writer - how do we apply? :P

s09119
March 11th, 2008, 01:28 PM
Fan-fic is almost entirely drivel, there are some great plots out there but generally horrible characterization.

Much as I hate to say it, he's got a point. That's why I mainly stick to summary-type fanfics; I don't have to try characterization that way, and I know I could never get it down as good as I'd like. Most fanfiction writers project their view of the character, but it doesn't usually match what we see on the show (come on, admit it, we all romanticize them a bit).

somme
March 11th, 2008, 01:31 PM
I've never read any fan fiction had never written any either. I have written a sci-fi sitcom entitled "Prison Trek" though. ;)

Bray
March 11th, 2008, 01:41 PM
I certainly wouldn't say Season 4 has been the best season of Stargate, but it hasn't been bad. Sure there were a couple of poor episodes like the one with the little kid...can't remember her name, might be Harmony.

But on the other hand there have been some good / maybe even great episodes like Midway.

You can't be serious, The Incredible Hulk was dire to be polite.

kirmit
March 11th, 2008, 02:22 PM
You can't be serious, The Incredible Hulk was dire to be polite.

If you're referring to the 70's/80's tv show then it was great for it's time, becoming a cult classic with a massive following, winning over the hearts of millions of people, I have no doubt in my mind more people know about and love that show than those that know and love stargate.

rlr149
March 11th, 2008, 02:30 PM
(Paid less I would imagine so keep costs lower and bring in those new fresh ideas we have all dreamed about )

what planet were you on when they were on strike for more money.

Bray
March 11th, 2008, 03:04 PM
If you're referring to the 70's/80's tv show then it was great for it's time, becoming a cult classic with a massive following, winning over the hearts of millions of people, I have no doubt in my mind more people know about and love that show than those that know and love stargate.

No I'm on about the shocking film from 2003, I think it may have actually just been called Hulk...whatever it was called it sucked...harshly.

Ripple in Space
March 11th, 2008, 03:11 PM
If Mallozzi isn't involved, I'll be happy. That's not in relation to his level of talent, but I feel that his blog is detrimental to the fandom...

kirmit
March 11th, 2008, 03:26 PM
No I'm on about the shocking film from 2003, I think it may have actually just been called Hulk...whatever it was called it sucked...harshly.

There's been much much worse films out there.

If Mallozzi isn't involved, I'll be happy. That's not in relation to his level of talent, but I feel that his blog is detrimental to the fandom...

I agree, I don't like his attitude towards the franchise.

Gate-builder
March 11th, 2008, 04:10 PM
It would be nice if they could get Steven Moffat as a writer. Every episode of Dr. Who he has written has been awesome!

kymeric
March 11th, 2008, 04:26 PM

Agreed. Theres a reason writers are professionals and fans are fanficcers.

Bray
March 12th, 2008, 11:50 AM
There's been much much worse films out there.

I couldn't agree more, Hulk was just the first one to pop into my head. No offence intended, if you liked Hulk....then....well you're entitled to your opinion...and easily pleased :D :p

g.o.d
March 12th, 2008, 01:50 PM
Agreed. Theres a reason writers are professionals and fans are fanficcers.

only some of them

g.o.d
March 12th, 2008, 01:51 PM
It would be nice if they could get Steven Moffat as a writer. Every episode of Dr. Who he has written has been awesome!

or JMS and Josh Whedon

rlr149
March 12th, 2008, 03:12 PM
or JMS and Josh Whedon

or even Joss Whedon;)

Blistna
March 12th, 2008, 04:24 PM
Much as I hate to say it, he's got a point. That's why I mainly stick to summary-type fanfics; I don't have to try characterization that way, and I know I could never get it down as good as I'd like. Most fanfiction writers project their view of the character, but it doesn't usually match what we see on the show (come on, admit it, we all romanticize them a bit).

Which is why I only use the characters for a bit, then make your own characters and ur own show. :-D It's always best to do that.

Mister Oragahn
March 12th, 2008, 04:40 PM

No, it just means that are people who watch the show and that makes enough money for getting more seasons. It doesn't mean it's good though. Again, more and many are not synonyms of good.

It's still good that they got a new pack of writers though.

It would be an understatement to say that it was much needed.

GateMan2000
March 13th, 2008, 10:15 AM
Wow...this thread got way off topics lol

g.o.d
March 13th, 2008, 10:25 AM
Wow...this thread got way off topics lol

better be off topic than closed;)

GateMan2000
March 14th, 2008, 08:46 AM
Thats true! They do like locking Stargate Universe threads lol. Its not our fault that we like to discuss it :)

Calhoun
March 14th, 2008, 11:59 AM
Thats true! They do like locking Stargate Universe threads lol. Its not our fault that we like to discuss it :)

True, but the problem is that there currently isn't anything to discuss! All we have is a working title, the promise of the ninth chevron being used, and a few leaked spoilers from a general outline of the show that will no doubt have changed considerably in the months since it was written.

Lets wait for Sci-Fi to green-light SG:U (or not!)... then we'll have something to talk about!

[/2cents]

Maedhros_Sea
March 14th, 2008, 02:51 PM
so, can anyone sight or link anything concrete that has been said on the topic of the 9th Chevron, or the new show?

Shan Bruce Lee
March 14th, 2008, 05:22 PM
or JMS and Josh Whedon

I've never watched a lot of Babylon 5 so I can't judge JMS on that... but I have read a lot of 'Amazing Spider-Man' and based on that alone I wouldn't want to see him write more than one or two Stargate episodes at most. But then again he could be the greatest Stargate writer ever but I wouldn't expect it.

gkyun
March 14th, 2008, 05:33 PM
At the risk of sounding ignorant, what's the big deal about discussing the leaked info (which I know nothing about) when people were talking about AoT and other stuff like crazy when they got leaked?

It's not like those stuff are definite or anything and could be subject to change all the time. So seriously, what's the big deal?

jenks
March 14th, 2008, 05:34 PM
Gateworld is responsible for the leak, that's why.