timeline theory..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

timeline theory..

okay, I saw a few posts, and on other sites as well, I've got a question maybe some of you would like to think about as well.

After Rodney uploaded the program which would CHANGE THE PRESENT timeline, being the timeline which he was living in as an old man, would he and all the others, cease to exist?

Some people seem to think that after he uploaded the hologram program to help get John home, he'd go on with his life..

unless were thinking the time travel in stargate works like that of dragonball Z (lol I know) ..where the timeline stays the same, people go on with their lives, you just change the timeline of a different reality, a reality which was not upto the point in that that your reality was upto.

I'm just wondering, because Carter, nor Rodney, ever explained time travel.

How does time travel work in the stargate world?

BUT, if this is the case.. then shouldn't the timeline CHANGED, soon as rodney had the working THEORY.. because once he had the working theory, in TIME he was going to change the present, so before even DOING ANYTHING, shouldn't the present of CHANGED because of what he was GOING to do, soon as he developed this program?

...thats why I'm thinking seperate time lines... or would time only change once John travelled back in time? ...45,000 years later.... =|

time is a constant.
    it should of changed as soon as rodney had the theory !

In Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure one of them, Bill or Ted, needed their car keys... So they just "thought" that at some later point they would put them behind some bushes... and there they were!

But in pretty much any other show/movie there is just one time-line and just by thinking you are going to do something doesn't make it happen.

John Anderton: But it didn't fall. You caught it. The fact that you prevented it from happening doesnt change the fact that it was *going* to happen.

Comment

Originally posted by koshin31 View Post
      =
      time is a constant.
      it should of changed as soon as rodney had the theory !
      That logic is contradictory, if time were constant then Sheppard would of arrived back 12 days after he was sent to the future and Rodney wouldn't have need to think of anything in the first place. I'm pretty sure the writers use the non-liner idea of time travel, in other words once you travel back in time to create a new timeline and the one you left is either destroyed or carries on without you.

Comment

I agree with Jenks. Once HoloRodney had succeeded in altering events, the old events no longer occured.

As to the Bill and Ted's theory, even though they thought of the keys and they were there, they had to remember to enact it ie: put the keys in the right spot later on. So it wasn't the thought that changed events, it was the action.

Think of it like this: If I think of eating chocolate, I don't get the extra calories. If I actually eat the chocolate, I do. It's the actions, not the thought, that changes the reality.

Also, I think to accept these altered timeline stories, you need to think of time as fluid, not linear. I don't profess to know the physics of it, but to accept the plot, you need to work with that theory. If you watch it with the theory that all time, past, present and future, are predetermined, the story won't work. Please note, I'm not talking actuality here, just which theory works within the story arc.
        sigpic
        My LJ & Fics * Proud Member of W.A.S.P. * Pay It Forward

Comment

Koshin31 suggested that Rodney simply vanished after sending the hologram program, which makes no sense. The timeline changed when John was sent back to the past, and that was accomplished thousands of years after Rodney died. So he did have some more decades of life, until time was changed thousands of years later.

Comment

Hi first time so here goes

The theory in this episode is flawed.
            You can't change the past no matter how you much you try (not intentionally anyway).
            Once you travel you travel back in time and change something ther is nolonger no reason for you to travel back in time (read H.G. Wells The Time Machine, or see the movie).
            To go back to the episode if Sheppard actually changes the past there would be no reason for McKay to create the hologram any longer.

And i don't believe in different timeline's. Perhaps if the stargate in some way (not impossible, they have done much weirder things) the stargate sends him to another dimension but different timeline's is to unbelievable.

sorry if the english is a bit bad it's been a while

Comment

John simply arrive and push the old timeline aside and simply make a new timline. The old is still there, now as an alternate version/universe.
              Much like Weir did in season 1, Before I Sleep. The first time they came to Atlantis there where no failsafe, that only came to because Weir ended up in the past, and with help of Janus put things into action that would enable the expedition's survival. From that moment on, she created a new timeline and new reality. This is something like that.
              I'm a 60%er | Sigs are made by me and othersThe Lorne Identity - A Lorne fanfiction collection community.

Comment

My point is the if you intentionally go back in time to change something and actually succeed then there would be no reason to go back in time now would there.

For an example if i went back in and killed Hitler before the second world war to prevent it then the war don't happen and i probably don't know who Hitler is so there will be no reason for me to go back in time to kill him, therefore i wont kill him so the war will still happen (or something like that).

My point is you can't change the past and you can't create new timeline's.
                I can swallow allot of the science they throw at me in the stargate "saga" but to fiddle around with time isn't one of them.

Comment

Originally posted by Versi View Post
                  My point is the if you intentionally go back in time to change something and actually succeed then there would be no reason to go back in time now would there.

For an example if i went back in and killed Hitler before the second world war to prevent it then the war don't happen and i probably don't know who Hitler is so there will be no reason for me to go back in time to kill him, therefore i wont kill him so the war will still happen (or something like that).

My point is you can't change the past and you can't create new timeline's.
                  I can swallow allot of the science they throw at me in the stargate "saga" but to fiddle around with time isn't one of them.
                  Regarding your Hitler thing
                  Doesn't that mean that the assination failed? Or that a Doppelganger was shot or continued on the deeds?
                  I'm a 60%er | Sigs are made by me and othersThe Lorne Identity - A Lorne fanfiction collection community.

Comment

When Mackay found out that Shepard was sent 48,000 years into the future, why didn't he ask to use the puddlejumper with the time travel machine that Jack use to get Shepard back? If the archeologists can find the ZPM the SG1 hid in Egypt when they went back in time, then the puddlejumper would have also been found.

Comment

Originally posted by melfan View Post
                      Regarding your Hitler thing
                      Doesn't that mean that the assination failed? Or that a Doppelganger was shot or continued on the deeds?
                      No what i mean is that if i kill Hitler before he starts the war then he probably wont become a part of history (i don't thinks his paintings were good enough) so there will be no reason for me to go back in time and kill him, therefore i wont go back in time to kill him and if i don't go back in time to kill him he will still start the war. It's an unbreakable loop that can't be fixed.

And why he don't just use the puddlejumper with the time machine is a good question they seem to make alot of things harder than they need to be

Comment

Originally posted by andromeda_dan View Post
                        When Mackay found out that Shepard was sent 48,000 years into the future, why didn't he ask to use the puddlejumper with the time travel machine that Jack use to get Shepard back? If the archeologists can find the ZPM the SG1 hid in Egypt when they went back in time, then the puddlejumper would have also been found.
                        they destroyed it, although there should be one still on maybornes planet since at the end of moebius it was said that sg-1 were supposed to go there in 2 weeks time??
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Versi View Post
                          No what i mean is that if i kill Hitler before he starts the war then he probably wont become a part of history (i don't thinks his paintings were good enough) so there will be no reason for me to go back in time and kill him, therefore i wont go back in time to kill him and if i don't go back in time to kill him he will still start the war. It's an unbreakable loop that can't be fixed.

And why he don't just use the puddlejumper with the time machine is a good question they seem to make alot of things harder than they need to be
                          It's a little bit complicated, but I understand what you are trying to say. Good theory. It's a little bit like the grandpa paradox, right?
                          The enemy of my enemy it's still my enemy.
                          Spoiler:
                          Originally posted by Karhedron
                          I think the thing with the Quantum mirror and The 6th Race would rather result in a thread like

Whoever made the Quantum mirror doesn't like the Asgard .

Whoever made the Quantum mirror doesn't seem to have a lot of respect for the Asgard. They were just making it so they could snub their noses at them from several dimensions. They might have been powerful but their lack of respect for our off-world allies is astonishing.

http://img126.imageshack.us/img126/7...3095364gi3.png

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBabay View Post
                            It's a little bit complicated, but I understand what you are trying to say. Good theory. It's a little bit like the grandpa paradox, right?
                            Yea something like that

Comment

It is the multi reality theory. Every time one decision is made it sprouts other realities in which a different decision was made. This theoretically means that there exists billions of different realities.

This means that Hologram Mckays universe would continue whilst Shep would create a hole new one. This means a time traveller would never visit the same Universe twice
                              sigpic
                              Spoiler:
                              President of the 'AFTU Writers Association'
                              President of the 'Count to 15,000 Legends' club
                              Forum Charmer
                              Forum Ambassador
                              Prince of The Hugglings

CURA STORY LINE, ATFU Pg 53 - Pg 804 (751pages)
                              VAMPIRE STORYLINE PT1, AFTU Pg 804 - 912
                              VAMPIRE STORYLINE PT 2, AFTU - Pg 855

Comment

Working...
                              X