PDA

View Full Version : so they left atlantis behind

sinderg
March 9th, 2008, 08:01 AM
so they've got a few ZPM's.

why leave Atlantis behind, why not fly it back to earth.

The_Carpenter
March 9th, 2008, 08:07 AM
so they've got a few ZPM's.

why leave Atlantis behind, why not fly it back to earth.
The ZPMs may have been depleted by then, alot can happen in 25 years. My thinking is that a new threat arised in the Milky Way and all resources had to be recalled from Atlantis including any ZPMs they had.

wraith form Replicator
March 9th, 2008, 09:00 AM
Maybe earth learned everything they could and built their own flying city or two.

Heaven
March 9th, 2008, 09:14 AM
I tend to think Earth destroyed itself, and with no more resupply runs from Earth and no humans left in Pegasus, the survivors just left to another world in MW.

either that or they all ascended :p

FallenAngelII
March 9th, 2008, 09:42 AM
I tend to think Earth destroyed itself, and with no more resupply runs from Earth and no humans left in Pegasus, the survivors just left to another world in MW.

either that or they all ascended :p
Umm... then how come Rodney went to the SGC to see Lorne? Or was that just another facility they built to resemble the SGC?

melfan
March 9th, 2008, 09:44 AM
They had no one to fly. Sheppard was the stronger gene carrier, and he might be the only one, a part from the ancient who can fly the city

jenks
March 9th, 2008, 09:47 AM
His gene isn't 'stronger' he just has a more natural ability to use it, it's a talent if anything. I'm sure if he could fly it then anyone else with the gene could too.

Raere
March 9th, 2008, 09:49 AM
46,000 years is a long time, think of all the leaps and bounds humanity had grown by in the last 11 years (start of the SGC). What do you think 46,000 years would do? We'd probably outgrow Atlantis. That's also assuming the human race would still be around in 46,000 years. They've been nearly wiped out by the G'oauld and the Ori in the last 11 years, there's a good chance they would come up against something they couldn't handle.

Heaven
March 9th, 2008, 09:52 AM
Umm... then how come Rodney went to the SGC to see Lorne? Or was that just another facility they built to resemble the SGC?
that was only 25 years in the future, they probably left the city long (well probably not too long ;)) after that

melfan
March 9th, 2008, 09:52 AM
His gene isn't 'stronger' he just has a more natural ability to use it, it's a talent if anything. I'm sure if he could fly it then anyone else with the gene could too.

But not as good

RepliVeggie
March 9th, 2008, 11:34 AM
46,000 years is a long time, think of all the leaps and bounds humanity had grown by in the last 11 years (start of the SGC). What do you think 46,000 years would do? We'd probably outgrow Atlantis. That's also assuming the human race would still be around in 46,000 years. They've been nearly wiped out by the G'oauld and the Ori in the last 11 years, there's a good chance they would come up against something they couldn't handle.

We have been artifically advanced. We would get to the point where there was nothing else to artifically advance us and then we would be stagnant in technological growth until we caught up to the Ancients in brain power and intelligence which would likely take hundreds of thousands of years or more.

andy tyler
March 9th, 2008, 11:45 AM
RODNEY (to lorne): you saw what happened in pegasus, you see what's happening here

Something bad is happening in the MW

RepliVeggie
March 9th, 2008, 11:47 AM
RODNEY (to lorne): you saw what happened in pegasus, you see what's happening here

Something bad is happening in the MW

Yup. Michael is in MW maybe.

GoSpikey
March 9th, 2008, 12:02 PM

I was thinking the same... :(

Wayston
March 9th, 2008, 12:07 PM
I guess they just upped and left atlantis - there was no visible battle damage of any kind, there is no reason why either Michael (or other enimies) or the humans would leave atlantis up for grabs unless they were either all dead or neither had really, really had no conceivable use for it any more. my bet is that they eventually overcame whatever it was they were up against and then they all ascended :)

Xiphias
March 9th, 2008, 03:51 PM
I joined just so I could say this: perhaps they submerged the city once again (then abandoned it, just like everyone's favourite Ancients) using there new fangled power source, and at some point in time the sun began to expand boiling the ocean making the city appear to be on the surface. Hi everybody.

Gate-builder
March 9th, 2008, 04:30 PM
I joined just so I could say this: perhaps they submerged the city once again (then abandoned it, just like everyone's favourite Ancients) using there new fangled power source, and at some point in time the sun began to expand boiling the ocean making the city appear to be on the surface. Hi everybody.

Thats a possibility, we would have had to build a clamping mechanism on the ocean floor, but I'm sure we would have been able to do that after advancing a few thousand years.

Its good to see someone else from NZ :D:D

andy tyler
March 9th, 2008, 06:05 PM
If they flew Atlantis back to earth, John would never be able to gate back to Atlantis, and the timeline would be ruined.

2ndgenerationalteran
March 10th, 2008, 01:28 AM
still yet at the end of 25 years we made a powersource that could power the shield independently with the power of a single ZPM and a few of those mark 12s we could have moved atlantis back to earth. Lorne could fly it, and an ancient sitting in the chair the entire route isnt necessary. Even if we could produce something like a ship in the magnitude of atlantis in that time period atlantis wouldnt take the resources and man power to have in MW and earth's disposal. Some horrible things must be in store in both galaxies to abandon such an amazing city.

artbrann
March 10th, 2008, 03:00 AM
ok, picture this
Mikey and the hybrids discover the planet we relocated it to, they are in the ships they have managed to take over laying siege to Atlantis
not attacking it directly, as it's cloaked

do you leave it cloaked, or power the shields and try to fly it out?

hook a couple mark XII's up, add the ZPM and leave it cloaked

Xaeden
March 10th, 2008, 10:55 AM
A lone ZPM would be drained long before they reached Earth and there's no telling that these Mark XIIs can give enough power to the shields to make them holdup during re-entry. All of this is based on the possibility that they might be able to power the shields. But a lot things can - A thunder storm, solar energy, etc. However, the shield in those situations is nowhere near the level of a ZPM powered shield and given that a Mark XII didn't have the power to dial Earth, I wouldn't be inclined to think it would do much better even if utilizing a few of them. But even if they could we're still back to their needing more power for the hyperdrives. The void between galaxies is just too far and we can't be certain that the only factor preventing Atlantis from getting into orbit with one ZPM were the shields. It's very much likely that without the drilling platform they never would've made it even if they didn't have to worry about shields.

To make matters worse we can't even be sure they had a ZPM left. 25 years had gone by and they stopped exploring the Pegasus galaxy because of Michael. That would've been plenty of time for them to have drained or mostly drained all of theirs and if that is the case it would be very hard finding replacements given that they are so much rarer in the Milky Way.

RepliVeggie
March 10th, 2008, 11:04 AM
The problem with us and Atlantis is. It seems like we don't know how to properly use ZPMs we always drain them 10000000x faster the then Ancients did. 3 ZPMs rotated 1 at a time held back the ocean for 10,000 years or so (I forget the exact time) and we have been shown the force of the Ocean is stronger then weapon fire. (GRACE UNDER PRESSURE) We are doing something wrong and depleting them way to fast.

garhkal
March 10th, 2008, 07:31 PM

That might make sense. After finally beating the wraith in the pegasus galaxy, he comes to ours to exact revenge on us..

The ZPMs may have been depleted by then, alot can happen in 25 years.

I am thinking once he beat the wraith (or while) he sieged atlantis, forcing us to sink it. And since the IOA had control and had restricted/pulled back our forces, it made us into the ancients in how teh wraith beat them. So perhaps like the ancients we just fled through the gate back to earth, neutering the gate to come to us but still leaving it open for us to go back..

Well we saw how hard it was even for him to fly the city, and we have seen how the others have problems..

We have been artifically advanced. We would get to the point where there was nothing else to artifically advance us and then we would be stagnant in technological growth until we caught up to the Ancients in brain power and intelligence which would likely take hundreds of thousands of years or more.

Very true. Just look at the Gou;ald. They got most if not all their stuff from scavenging the ancients and other races. There was little they themselves built.

MathiasE
March 10th, 2008, 07:42 PM
The problem with us and Atlantis is. It seems like we don't know how to properly use ZPMs we always drain them 10000000x faster the then Ancients did. 3 ZPMs rotated 1 at a time held back the ocean for 10,000 years or so (I forget the exact time) and we have been shown the force of the Ocean is stronger then weapon fire. (GRACE UNDER PRESSURE) We are doing something wrong and depleting them way to fast.

Or it could just be that we have so many more systems online at all times.
When 3 ZPMs held back the ocean for 10000 years only 1 other system was online and that was a stasis pod. Everything else was in "sleepmode"
While we have the shields up we also seem to have the entire city up and running even if we're not currently using those parts of the city.

And just out of curiosity, what did the episode Grace under pressure show us about the shields/ZPMs?
That episode was about McKay being trapped in a jumper under water, cant remember even seeing the cityshield active in that ep.
They converted the jumpers cloak into a shield but they didnt use a ZPM to do it.

g.o.d
March 11th, 2008, 10:33 AM
we don't know why we left Atlantis. Was it because of Michael, or something bad was happening on Earth or in the MW?

when did we left Atlantis? Do we know that?

Jill_Ion
March 11th, 2008, 12:21 PM

Maybe some kind of energy saving/recycling device got unplugged and we haven't found it yet?

I think it was about 10,000 years, as you say.

2ndgenerationalteran
March 12th, 2008, 01:35 AM
its a city, more grand than shang hai, new york, london, LA, tokyo the list goes on... The only option i can think of is that they drained all of the ZPMs, anarctic, Odyssey and the one in atlantis and could not acquire more, and they didnt have the resources or the will power to bring the most advanced city we have ever stepped foot in back to earth.

On the other hand if it was out of power and was located right in the middle of enemy territory where it cant even be used as an alpha site or a sucessful beach head, and we got everything we wanted i guess we have reason staying, but we wouldnt leave it out in the open as a gift to micahel that would just be plain stupid.

2ndgenerationalteran
March 18th, 2008, 11:47 PM
after thinking i think future mckay had them evacuate atlantis, because his entire plan was to have sheppard come out of the stargate in atlantis 48,000 years in the future. If Atlantis moved and the stargate wanst on new lantea anymore it may resemble the scene in SG1 where the stargate is there then disapears, leaving sheppard in this case in the middle of a desert (or ocean as how mckay saw it). Then that way sheppard couldnt have corrected the time line since atlantis and everything in it may be missing. Considering that atlantis was still there 48,000 years in the future no one found out its true location, and maybe mckay used it to his advantage, and put some mock-destructive virus in the computer that set off a fake self destruct so when everyone eventually evacuated the city automatically puts up the shields, detonates a huge nuke over the shield, then cloaks to give the illusion atlantis is gone (all the while locking out incoming gate activity except sheppards).

dragos
March 19th, 2008, 02:31 AM

That is assuming that they didnt use tech to improve the brain power of humans and so wouldnt have taken hundreds of thousands of years to get to Anchient status. Maybe the device which advanced McCay was figured out and made to work in a more reliable way to advance and eventually ascended without the impending death part.

st00rm
March 23rd, 2008, 12:55 PM
The ZPMs may have been depleted by then, alot can happen in 25 years. My thinking is that a new threat arised in the Milky Way and all resources had to be recalled from Atlantis including any ZPMs they had.

They didn't abandoned it after 25 years, because McKay went to Atlantis after 25 years, all we know is that it's been abandoned between after McKay created the hologram and the time Shepard returned (~48000-25 years).

I think that they simply sucked the city dry of all the technology and left it when it wasn't needed anymore.

bobshort400
April 4th, 2008, 12:07 AM
Maybe the war was getting to much and the ioa pulled out of that program because we lost the midway station and the new ship carter got.
earth would have download all the information from the city and taken the zpm home.

who new 5 pepole ment so much.

Earth makes a ship and a half in a year so in 25 years they probly made 35 new ships. Thats a small fleet.

Mitchell82
April 13th, 2008, 09:14 PM
I was thinking the same... :(

That most likely was what was happening in the MW as well.

YutheGreat
April 19th, 2008, 07:14 PM
Maybe the ZPMs ran out there was no place to get them anymore now that the Asurans are gone