nuclear reactor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

nuclear reactor

are the naquadah generators more powerful than a nuclear reactor? just curious why nuclear reactors aren't fitted onto the 304's? not stable enough maybe?

Gelasius

naquahdah fissions clean: nuclear not. naquahdah reactors ARE nuclear reactors, but naquahdah is better fuel that plutonium/uranium

Comment

Not to mention naquahdah generators are way smaller than a nuclear reactor.

Comment

In translation, yes, the naquahdah reactor is better then the nuclear one
        The enemy of my enemy it's still my enemy.
        Spoiler:
        Originally posted by Karhedron
        I think the thing with the Quantum mirror and The 6th Race would rather result in a thread like

Whoever made the Quantum mirror doesn't like the Asgard .

Whoever made the Quantum mirror doesn't seem to have a lot of respect for the Asgard. They were just making it so they could snub their noses at them from several dimensions. They might have been powerful but their lack of respect for our off-world allies is astonishing.

http://img126.imageshack.us/img126/7...3095364gi3.png

Comment

not to mention way better

Comment

i guess it's stronger as well? Question, why dont they make bigger naquadah reactors for more power. They are very compact now. Why not make it twice as big, will it have twice as much power as well?
            Study the great, they wil enlighten your soul

Comment

Originally posted by ffstbh View Post
              i guess it's stronger as well? Question, why dont they make bigger naquadah reactors for more power. They are very compact now. Why not make it twice as big, will it have twice as much power as well?
              Not necessarily. Most generators used today use gas, oil, fission, ect, to create steam and that turns a rod and makes electricity(not going into the details, check generators and electromagnetic theory if you want to). Larger is generally better because you can create more heat and have more steam in a larger plant.

Since naquada generators are so small, I think it's pretty clear they aren't using this method. How they are making electricity, not sure. Perhaps they have a material that's like that of solar panels, and creates electricity when exposed to the particles made in the naquada reaction. But your guess is as good as mine.

Comment

Originally posted by Myles View Post
                Not necessarily. Most generators used today use gas, oil, fission, ect, to create steam and that turns a rod and makes electricity(not going into the details, check generators and electromagnetic theory if you want to). Larger is generally better because you can create more heat and have more steam in a larger plant.

Since naquada generators are so small, I think it's pretty clear they aren't using this method. How they are making electricity, not sure. Perhaps they have a material that's like that of solar panels, and creates electricity when exposed to the particles made in the naquada reaction. But your guess is as good as mine.
                that's teh problwm with naq, naq explosions have a higher energy densoity then their antimater counterpats. explaining how naq generates power is easy, taking those principles and aplying them to detoantions isn't.

Comment

but, still my question remains. Does making them [naquadah generator] bigger helps if we want more energy. a generator twice or three times bigger than what they are now is still a compact model, if it produces three times more energy it might be worth considering to make our generators bigger

Comment

Originally posted by ffstbh View Post
                    but, still my question remains. Does making them [naquadah generator] bigger helps if we want more energy. a generator twice or three times bigger than what they are now is still a compact model, if it produces three times more energy it might be worth considering to make our generators bigger
                    We don't know how they work so it's impossible to say. The mark 2 was bigger then the mark 1 and it produced more power. That's little evidence to go on, but it would make sense. The question is, does a mark 1 that's twice the size of normal generate more power then two normal mark 1's? If not, then there's no reason to build them like that.

Comment

yes well thats what i wanne know

Comment

Nuclear reactors work by heating up water and turning it into steam to drive a turbine which is connected to an electric generator via a shaft. The whole rig is quite bulky and takes up far too much room. It works great for ships and ground facilities because there is a steady supply of water.

As far as I can tell, naquadah reactor work by a process of direct energy extraction. Whatever process takes place in the reactor liberate electrons which are then captured by the interior walls of the reactor and then channeled out through the power cables. Required no turbine, no water and no coolant as far as I know. In fact the nearest real world analog I can think of are the radioisotope thermoelectric generator used by NASA on deep space probes like Voyager 1/2 and Cassini.

There is no telling if the efficiency will stay the same if the size of the reactor is scaled up. So maybe 2x bigger won't actually get you 2x the power output. My guess is the 304s have some sort of Asgard designed power source that is better than naquadah generators but still not ZPM strength.

Comment

Naquada would fission not fusion. It is likely these generators have a power converter to convert gamma rays, nuetron kinetic energy, heat directly into electricity. I would guess the output to be around 30 MW maybe a 100 MW from mark II.

Comment

not to mention that it uses a absurdly small piece of naquadah (judging by the ability to pack them up and carry with ease) to provide power while the nuclear powerplant uses dozens of kilos worth of plutonium or U235. Far more efficient even if it gives off the same ammount of power.
                            Their white flags are no match to our guns!!

Comment

Working...
                            X