So the ancients invented spaceships..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So the ancients invented spaceships..

apon watching the season 3 episode Progeny again, a comment by Sheppard made me laugh.

"ive yet to meet ancients who have invented the car"

.. that to me is a good question
    did the ancients skip over the invention of the wheel? or just felt in their technological advancement to cease building ground transportation vehicles and focus mainly on building ships and walking rediculous distances through their cities on foot?

come to think of it, i havnt seen almost any evidence of ground vehicle usage by just about any of the races in the stargate universe o.O

Originally posted by DaxFlowLyfe View Post
    apon watching the season 3 episode Progeny again, a comment by Sheppard made me laugh.

"ive yet to meet ancients who have invented the car"

.. that to me is a good question
    did the ancients skip over the invention of the wheel? or just felt in their technological advancement to cease building ground transportation vehicles and focus mainly on building ships and walking rediculous distances through their cities on foot?

come to think of it, i havnt seen almost any evidence of ground vehicle usage by just about any of the races in the stargate universe o.O
    rings, beaming, teleportation.

Comment

Originally posted by Crazy Tom View Post
      rings, beaming, teleportation.
      as far as i know the ancients didnt have beaming technology.

what did they use before they invented those?

Comment

Originally posted by DaxFlowLyfe View Post
        as far as i know the ancients didnt have beaming technology.

what did they use before they invented those?
        see transport booth

Comment

before you laugh at the ancients. They had been a space faring race for tens of thousands of years. why do you need a car that can go 100 miles over a properly prepared surface, when you have aircraft that can go anywhere? The dream of a flying car has been sought after for decades. if everyone who needs to can simply fly to anywhere they need to go including space, or ocean depths then wheels are secondary, almost useless for of transport.

Besides a group of scientists who have matter transport, and spaceships sit down a lot. In order to make sure you get your proper exercise you walk every where you can't get by other means.

Comment

Originally posted by peragrin View Post
            before you laugh at the ancients. They had been a space faring race for tens of thousands of years. why do you need a car that can go 100 miles over a properly prepared surface, when you have aircraft that can go anywhere? The dream of a flying car has been sought after for decades. if everyone who needs to can simply fly to anywhere they need to go including space, or ocean depths then wheels are secondary, almost useless for of transport.

Besides a group of scientists who have matter transport, and spaceships sit down a lot. In order to make sure you get your proper exercise you walk every where you can't get by other means.
            I think the question is did they ever have anything like cars and that, before they invented spaceships and rings etc. I don't think they did since most of their technology was kept secret from the ori, going to be hard if you're driving your new mercedes about .

Comment

Mabey the had them but abandend them for more eficent means of travel such as space levotation or repulser technologies.
              Carl Sagan on Nuclear self Destruction

Comment

Originally posted by kirmit View Post
                I think the question is did they ever have anything like cars and that, before they invented spaceships and rings etc. I don't think they did since most of their technology was kept secret from the ori, going to be hard if you're driving your new mercedes about .
                While i can see them at one time having them, i think all that tech disappeared when they finally got rings and other such transportation up and running..

Comment

i dont see how a society can evolve without the invention of the wheel. yeah over 50 million years yeah the car would become obsolete but saying they never invented the wheel would be like saying earth made a nuclear submarine before making a row boat.
                  Their white flags are no match to our guns!!

Comment

Originally posted by Crazy Tom View Post
                    see transport booth
                    I think that works more on the ring principle then the Beam Principle of the asgard
                    Vote Anubis for President in 2012
                    A Face you Can Trust
                    sigpic
                    So whats the worst that could happen?
                    Supporter of the "It's Asgard, NOT AsgUard !" campaign
                    It is better to debate a question without settling it than to settle a question without debating it.

Comment

hello? puddlejumper? its like a car, but then levitating. far better, much faster.

Comment

Originally posted by 2ndgenerationalteran View Post
                        i dont see how a society can evolve without the invention of the wheel. yeah over 50 million years yeah the car would become obsolete but saying they never invented the wheel would be like saying earth made a nuclear submarine before making a row boat.
                        Yeah I agree. although i think it is possible that they didn't develop along the same lines as us anyway. The idea of an internal combustion engine may be completely alien to them for example. Jus in the same way the Asgard never thought of Projectile weaponry.
                        Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

but then, the asgard were too smart to think in a way we do. their logic aint ours.

the ancients probably had cars. millions of years before exodus.

Comment

Originally posted by 2ndgenerationalteran View Post
                            Actually it's more like saying earth made a rocket before making the cart, the two are separate solutions to the same problem but one does not follow the other. As for inventing the wheel, we know they invented the circles are good for transport concept because of the rings and the gates, just like the long and thin things are good for transport concept because of their ships and drones.

Comment

well getting to that level of tech would require the knowlege of pi, which is directly related to a circle and they must have had balls that rolled so they could have figured out that anything cyclical in shape could roll and make transportation easier. The engine behind that carriage may or may not have been like our gas combustion engines but saying they didnt have a ground transport system is ridiculous.
                              Their white flags are no match to our guns!!

Comment

Working...
                              X