PDA

View Full Version : Sheppard - Why didnt he age?

riddermark
March 8th, 2008, 12:51 PM
From the season 1 episode we know that Weir aged say 60 years over the course of 10000 years in statis, so as John was in statis for say 500-700 years why didnt he age something like 3 years?

Amagoul
March 8th, 2008, 12:53 PM
how do you know he didn't, i dont think you'd be able to tell if he aged three years or not.

P-90_177
March 8th, 2008, 12:53 PM
From the season 1 episode we know that Weir aged say 60 years over the course of 10000 years in statis, so as John was in statis for say 500-700 years why didnt he age something like 3 years?

Maybe he did. 3 years doesn't tend to be that noticeable.

FallenAngelII
March 8th, 2008, 02:53 PM
His hair should've grown slightly longer. Elizabeth's grew a lot over the course of 10,000 years. John's should've grown slightly longer (just enough to be noticable).

Other than that, 3 years at his age? Not very noticable.

rlr149
March 8th, 2008, 03:35 PM
theres nothing to say that weir only spent time in the pod, she may have spent a few years wandering round the city after swapping ZPM's, just for a look around:cool: i would

FallenAngelII
March 8th, 2008, 03:43 PM
theres nothing to say that weir only spent time in the pod, she may have spent a few years wandering round the city after swapping ZPM's, just for a look around:cool: i would
With no food? Because, seriously, the Ancients all left. I doubt they left a lot of food around to rot for future generations to return to.

WarLud
March 8th, 2008, 03:43 PM
Urg. Do you people even listen to what is being said in episodes? In that episode they specifically went over the fact that the only reason 'past Wier' aged so much was because they shut down all systems they saw as unimportant to save power, which caused her to age rapidly because the system started to revive her but was then stopped due to it losing power.

FallenAngelII
March 8th, 2008, 03:47 PM
Urg. Do you people even listen to what is being said in episodes? In that episode they specifically went over the fact that the only reason 'past Wier' aged so much was because they shut down all systems they saw as unimportant to save power, which caused her to age rapidly because the system started to revive her but was then stopped due to it losing power.
No they didn't. This is what they said:
"One of the first things we noticed was a sudden power surge in the section of the city where the stasis lab was. It was trying to revive her, only we didn't know that. All we saw was more power draining from an already nearly-depleted ZedP.M., so we shut down all secondary systems. Almost killed her ... you. How weird is that, hmm?"

Nowhere in there do they mention that being the cause of her aging. Also, the crewin Aurora aged.

I'm sorry, are you suggesting that she aged a good 50+ years within only months because they shut down her pod for a short while? Yeah, no.

WarLud
March 8th, 2008, 03:52 PM
No they didn't. This is what they said:
"One of the first things we noticed was a sudden power surge in the section of the city where the stasis lab was. It was trying to revive her, only we didn't know that. All we saw was more power draining from an already nearly-depleted ZedP.M., so we shut down all secondary systems. Almost killed her ... you. How weird is that, hmm?"

Nowhere in there do they mention that being the cause of her aging. Also, the crewin Aurora aged.

I'm sorry, are you suggesting that she aged a good 50+ years within only months because they shut down her pod for a short while? Yeah, no.

Heh. My bad. I could've sworn they said something to that effect. Oh well. I still believe thats what happened, since:

We know the pods don't normally do anything like cause a person to age, the only episode that really comes to mind is the one where they find an ancient in the ice of Antarctica , who had been frozen for quite some time without looking older, if I remember correctly. (Which i'm not quite so sure anymore...)

Edit: Also, when they say "Almost killed her" I think they meant it to mean that it caused her to age due to some error. That just my opinion though.

FallenAngelII
March 8th, 2008, 04:07 PM
Heh. My bad. I could've sworn they said something to that effect. Oh well. I still believe thats what happened, since:

We know the pods don't normally do anything like cause a person to age, the only episode that really comes to mind is the one where they find an ancient in the ice of Antarctica , who had been frozen for quite some time without looking older, if I remember correctly. (Which i'm not quite so sure anymore...)

Edit: Also, when they say "Almost killed her" I think they meant it to mean that it caused her to age due to some error. That just my opinion though.
1) We know the pops normally ages people. See "Aurora".
2) Aiyana ("Frozen") was frozen in ice, not a stasis pod.
3) No, she's just very old and fragile. Shutting the system off for too long would kill her. Why would she rapidly age 50+ years just because they cut the power to her pod? She didn't randomly age even more when she was removed from it.

rlr149
March 8th, 2008, 04:20 PM
With no food? Because, seriously, the Ancients all left. I doubt they left a lot of food around to rot for future generations to return to.

maybe there was another pod with food in it, maybe there was an emergency food replicator of sorts, maybe there was fish in the pools where the shield held the water inside the bubble and weir is good at fishing. i don't know, there are several possible explanations, picking the pod and blaming it squarely on its shoulders because "we only saw her in the pod"(or whatever) is not the greatest example of empirical evidence i've ever seen;)

WarLud
March 8th, 2008, 04:20 PM
1) We know the pops normally ages people. See "Aurora".
2) Aiyana ("Frozen") was frozen in ice, not a stasis pod.
3) No, she's just very old and fragile. Shutting the system off for too long would kill her. Why would she rapidly age 50+ years just because they cut the power to her pod? She didn't randomly age even more when she was removed from it.

1. Those pods in "Aurora" seem to be different than the ones in Atlantis, seeing as they don't freeze you or anything, they just close the lid on the person, while the Atlantis/Antarctic Station ones seem to freeze the person.
2. I assumed that the Atlantis pod did freeze people. I'll have to go back and check to be sure though...
3. This, I assumed was a technicality issue that had to due with starting to revive her to normal but then the power went out in mid-process. (And seeing as how we don't actually know how Ancient Tech works, I thought it was fair to assume that something odd like that might happen. Perhaps the process of making her body go back to normal was in the process of speeding up the Wier's body's systems and since the power went out, it caused a massive increase of the rate that the cells divide or whatever in all the body's systems, which could've caused the premature aging. Again, its just a stab in the dark....)

Heaven
March 8th, 2008, 04:22 PM
hmm got me thinking about Weir
say she went into stasis 30 years old and got out 100
that means she aged 70 years over 10,000 years of stasis
that means for every 1000 years in stasis you age 7 years

assuming that's true, and she had to switch ZPMs every 3.3 thousand years
at the first switch she would have been 3.3*7 = 23.1 (53~ years old)
and at the second switch 76~ years old :eek:

FallenAngelII
March 8th, 2008, 04:44 PM
(While old!Weir was still in stasis)

SHEPPARD: How could she drop dead? You said she was frozen.
McKAY: Technically she's in a state of metabolic stasis. Ageing slowed considerably, yes, but not entirely suspended.

It is also only later that he mentions almost killing her, so the aging had nothing to do with it. So unless you're gonna argue that Rodney's cataclysmically wrong, then, no.

Canonical evidence. There. The pods just slows your aging down considerably.

rens14
March 8th, 2008, 04:50 PM
and ayana was dead and frozen and started to revive when they defrosted her

wolverine_nl
March 8th, 2008, 05:13 PM
and ayana was dead and frozen and started to revive when they defrosted her

yes, always made me wonder why they didn't really froze people instead of that metabota-thing McKay said, which isn't really freezing.

FallenAngelII
March 8th, 2008, 05:27 PM
yes, always made me wonder why they didn't really froze people instead of that metabota-thing McKay said, which isn't really freezing.
Because we have yet to perfect cryonic freezing. We still cannot reverse the process! At the present time, once you're frozen, you cannot be unfrozen without dying.

The only reason Aiyana survived is because it happened quite suddenly (hence the ice crystals formed really fast and didn't damage her) and because she was an Ancient, her rapid healing somehow revived her.

AutumnDream
March 8th, 2008, 06:24 PM
With all this talk of Before I Sleep, OldWeir's words to Weir about her journey just beginning and having a wonderful experience ahead of her and heartfelt message about trusting herself really seems hilarious given recent events.

*gives weir emotional peptalk + beautiful story*
*throws weir in trashcan*

Another fine job by the writers.

MathiasE
March 8th, 2008, 06:27 PM
With all this talk of Before I Sleep, OldWeir's words to Weir about her journey just beginning and having a wonderful experience ahead of her and heartfelt message about trusting herself really seems hilarious given recent events.

*gives weir emotional peptalk + beautiful story*
*throws weir in trashcan*

Another fine job by the writers.

Well, it was just beginning of her journey and she did have a wonderful experience ahead of her from the time of Before i sleep. =)

Dr.Mckay
March 8th, 2008, 06:36 PM
Theres already a thread about this but oh well.
Sheppard is not 2 years old. 3 years does not show a drastic change for someone in his 30s.
Also I posted my calculations in the other thread;
Considering Weir got out of stasis at around 70-80 years of age, went in it at around 30, she aged around 40-50 years in 10,000 years in a stasis pod.
10,000 years / 50 years = 200 Years.
This means every 200 years, she gets older by a year.
Considering the fact that the above theory is true,
Because Sheppard was in it for 700 years, and every 200 years he ages by a year
700 years / 200 years = 3.5 Years
Therefore, Sheppard aged 3.5 years in his stasis, not a long period.
The only reason the old Weir died was because they shut down the power before it correctly revived her, which weakened her, and also the fact that shes 80.

Vala_M
March 8th, 2008, 07:01 PM
On another thread, I calculated that he would have aged 4.9 years from being in stasis for 700 years.

Vala,

Lord batchi ball
March 8th, 2008, 09:07 PM
On another thread, I calculated that he would have aged 4.9 years from being in stasis for 700 years.

Vala,
Ok?

then its even (when Todd gave him back his life and he "looked younger")

but I did think it was wierd

Aazadan
March 9th, 2008, 12:13 AM
Was Weir really 30 though? I got the impression she was somewhere between 35 and 40 but that may just be because of the actresses age as I don't think they ever actually mentioned how old Weir is or for that matter any hints about it. If you assume she was 35 originally and was 85 when she got out of stasis it would mean 10000 years in stasis is 40 years of aging. This would mean 250 years=1 year so Sheppard aged 2.8 years. Now if you really want to take this slightly further (no idea if someone else has already mentioned it) Carson was on his deathbed when he was frozen. It's possible Woolsey didn't cause his death at all, by the time Woolsey took command Carson it's possible Carson would have already died in stasis since one day would have been about 8.33 months in stasis, two days about 1.5 years. They didn't really give a detailed explanation of how long it took for various events to occur but it's something to keep in mind.

nemesis24
March 9th, 2008, 03:24 AM
may be we didnt see any rapid aging because he has merely returned to his actual (biological) age, remember in "Common Ground" when the wraith (todd is it?) feeds on Sheppard and then uses the gift of life to almost reverse the process, well mckay says then he looks younger then his before - or something like that. for all we know this whole freezing proess returned back to his "normal" age and hence why he didnt seem like he aged much (also 3-6 years aging for a adult in his 30's isnt really noticeable)

FallenAngelII
March 9th, 2008, 04:24 AM
3-4 years is not that much of a difference once you reach "a certain age". The only plothole is his sentient hair. Elizabeth's got significantly longer over 10,000 years years. John's should've grown at least slightly longer (enough to be noticable) in 700.

Heaven
March 9th, 2008, 05:11 AM
If you assume she was 35 originally and was 85 when she got out of stasis it would mean 10000 years in stasis is 40 years of aging.
actually Carson estimated she was at least 100 years old when she got out of stasis

Aazadan
March 9th, 2008, 11:37 AM
Hmm, I don't remember that part lets say she's 105 then when she gets out of stasis, which would have made her 58 and 82 at the ZPM switches.

10,000 years stasis=70 years aged
142.86 years stasis=1 year aged
700 years stasis=4.9 years aged

Sure makes things look worse for Carson being cured in time too. That would mean he would have died of his problems within at most 9.5 months (if he had 2 days left) or more likely just under 5 months.

RepliVeggie
March 9th, 2008, 11:42 AM
Shepphard likely wasn't in the stasis pod for 700 years. Rodney said they sun would go critical before then and that the solar energy would only buy them 500ish years. So it is possible that the right conditions came along with in 400ish years.

FallenAngelII
March 9th, 2008, 12:08 PM
Shepphard likely wasn't in the stasis pod for 700 years. Rodney said they sun would go critical before then and that the solar energy would only buy them 500ish years. So it is possible that the right conditions came along with in 400ish years.
Actually, Rodney said the following:
McKAY: It is impossible to say, but my best estimate is under five hundred years. (before the atmosphere would burn off)
McKAY: We wouldn't be able to do it indefinitely, but it would buy us a hundred years or so.

So 600-ish years.

pilgrim soul
March 9th, 2008, 12:11 PM
Obviously they couldn't have Sheppard visibly age because they'd have to keep him that way indefinitely but they really should have at least had JF grow a bit of a beard - they seem to have ignored previously established science out of laziness.

RepliVeggie
March 9th, 2008, 12:20 PM
Little silver patch of year maybe :P Poor Tealc...

PG15
March 9th, 2008, 12:25 PM
Actually, Rodney said the following:
McKAY: It is impossible to say, but my best estimate is under five hundred years. (before the atmosphere would burn off)
McKAY: We wouldn't be able to do it indefinitely, but it would buy us a hundred years or so.

So 600-ish years.

Actually, that inspired a thought: solar flares are pretty random, so who knows exactly when the one we needed arrived? Rodney predicted 700 years, but it could've easily come a week after Shep arrived or something.

We just know that, AT MOST, Shep had to stay in stasis for 600 years or so.

Linzi
March 9th, 2008, 02:35 PM
Actually, that inspired a thought: solar flares are pretty random, so who knows exactly when the one we needed arrived? Rodney predicted 700 years, but it could've easily come a week after Shep arrived or something.

Good point. I didn't think of that! :)

huntress
March 10th, 2008, 03:15 AM
Can you tell the differnce between someone who is 35 or 38 years old because I certainly can't. The thing with the hair is a good question but maybe they thought it would laughable if Sheppard came through looking like a hobo with loong hair and a beard. ;)

FallenAngelII
March 10th, 2008, 03:53 AM

Poor hologram Rodney, staying up for hundreds of years waiting for the right solar flare. Also, Rodney had probably calculated when the next suitable one was going to take place. After all, he is based on technology 25 years from now.

pilgrim soul
March 10th, 2008, 04:01 AM
Can you tell the difference between someone who is 35 or 38 years old because I certainly can't. The thing with the hair is a good question but maybe they thought it would laughable if Sheppard came through looking like a hobo with loong hair and a beard. ;)

You say that but go and watch Rising and see how young Joe F and David H look and that's only four years.

Of course they couldn't have Sheppard permanently aged, its just not practical, but would it really have hurt just have had him have a little scruff of a beard?

wm_1987
March 14th, 2008, 03:45 PM
Maybe I'm way off on this but since Mckay had 25 years to find a way to get Sheppard back, maybe he took into consideration that he might have to put Sheppard in stasis. Maybe Mckay found a way to improve the stasis pod so it wouldn't really age Sheppard, I mean it took him 25 years to get back to Atlantis but you don't know how long he was there, maybe he did something to the stasis pods. I might be reaching, but you never know.

Jill_Ion
March 14th, 2008, 04:09 PM

I'd say it's cuz he's so hot the pod wouldn't dare age him, but this is probably the wrong thread for that. ;) :sheppard:

More seriously, the actor is about 3 yrs older than his character (compared to RDA being 7 yrs older than his character), so those three years wouldn't change Shep at all.

Obviously they couldn't have Sheppard visibly age because they'd have to keep him that way indefinitely but they really should have at least had JF grow a bit of a beard - they seem to have ignored previously established science out of laziness.

Don't be so quick to jump on the "laziness" bandwagon, eh? They probably figured it wasn't very important and no one would bother to notice and start...a...discussion...uh...never mind!

:lol: