Sheppard - Why didnt he age?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sheppard - Why didnt he age?

From the season 1 episode we know that Weir aged say 60 years over the course of 10000 years in statis, so as John was in statis for say 500-700 years why didnt he age something like 3 years?

how do you know he didn't, i dont think you'd be able to tell if he aged three years or not.

Comment

Originally posted by riddermark View Post
      From the season 1 episode we know that Weir aged say 60 years over the course of 10000 years in statis, so as John was in statis for say 500-700 years why didnt he age something like 3 years?
      Maybe he did. 3 years doesn't tend to be that noticeable.
      Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

His hair should've grown slightly longer. Elizabeth's grew a lot over the course of 10,000 years. John's should've grown slightly longer (just enough to be noticable).

Other than that, 3 years at his age? Not very noticable.

Comment

theres nothing to say that weir only spent time in the pod, she may have spent a few years wandering round the city after swapping ZPM's, just for a look around i would
          sigpic
          EMBRACE DEMOCRACY, OR YOU WILL BE ERADICATED
          -Liberty Prime

Comment

Originally posted by rlr149 View Post
            theres nothing to say that weir only spent time in the pod, she may have spent a few years wandering round the city after swapping ZPM's, just for a look around i would
            With no food? Because, seriously, the Ancients all left. I doubt they left a lot of food around to rot for future generations to return to.

Comment

Urg. Do you people even listen to what is being said in episodes? In that episode they specifically went over the fact that the only reason 'past Wier' aged so much was because they shut down all systems they saw as unimportant to save power, which caused her to age rapidly because the system started to revive her but was then stopped due to it losing power.
              I am not responsible for the content of the message above.

Comment

Originally posted by WarLud View Post
                Urg. Do you people even listen to what is being said in episodes? In that episode they specifically went over the fact that the only reason 'past Wier' aged so much was because they shut down all systems they saw as unimportant to save power, which caused her to age rapidly because the system started to revive her but was then stopped due to it losing power.
                No they didn't. This is what they said:
                "One of the first things we noticed was a sudden power surge in the section of the city where the stasis lab was. It was trying to revive her, only we didn't know that. All we saw was more power draining from an already nearly-depleted ZedP.M., so we shut down all secondary systems. Almost killed her ... you. How weird is that, hmm?"

Nowhere in there do they mention that being the cause of her aging. Also, the crewin Aurora aged.

I'm sorry, are you suggesting that she aged a good 50+ years within only months because they shut down her pod for a short while? Yeah, no.

Comment

Originally posted by FallenAngelII View Post
                  No they didn't. This is what they said:
                  "One of the first things we noticed was a sudden power surge in the section of the city where the stasis lab was. It was trying to revive her, only we didn't know that. All we saw was more power draining from an already nearly-depleted ZedP.M., so we shut down all secondary systems. Almost killed her ... you. How weird is that, hmm?"

Nowhere in there do they mention that being the cause of her aging. Also, the crewin Aurora aged.

I'm sorry, are you suggesting that she aged a good 50+ years within only months because they shut down her pod for a short while? Yeah, no.
                  Heh. My bad. I could've sworn they said something to that effect. Oh well. I still believe thats what happened, since:

We know the pods don't normally do anything like cause a person to age, the only episode that really comes to mind is the one where they find an ancient in the ice of Antarctica , who had been frozen for quite some time without looking older, if I remember correctly. (Which i'm not quite so sure anymore...)

Edit: Also, when they say "Almost killed her" I think they meant it to mean that it caused her to age due to some error. That just my opinion though.

Comment

Originally posted by WarLud View Post
                    Heh. My bad. I could've sworn they said something to that effect. Oh well. I still believe thats what happened, since:

We know the pods don't normally do anything like cause a person to age, the only episode that really comes to mind is the one where they find an ancient in the ice of Antarctica , who had been frozen for quite some time without looking older, if I remember correctly. (Which i'm not quite so sure anymore...)

Edit: Also, when they say "Almost killed her" I think they meant it to mean that it caused her to age due to some error. That just my opinion though.
                    1) We know the pops normally ages people. See "Aurora".
                    2) Aiyana ("Frozen") was frozen in ice, not a stasis pod.
                    3) No, she's just very old and fragile. Shutting the system off for too long would kill her. Why would she rapidly age 50+ years just because they cut the power to her pod? She didn't randomly age even more when she was removed from it.

Comment

With no food? Because, seriously, the Ancients all left. I doubt they left a lot of food around to rot for future generations to return to.
                      maybe there was another pod with food in it, maybe there was an emergency food replicator of sorts, maybe there was fish in the pools where the shield held the water inside the bubble and weir is good at fishing. i don't know, there are several possible explanations, picking the pod and blaming it squarely on its shoulders because "we only saw her in the pod"(or whatever) is not the greatest example of empirical evidence i've ever seen
                      sigpic
                      EMBRACE DEMOCRACY, OR YOU WILL BE ERADICATED
                      -Liberty Prime

Comment

1) We know the pops normally ages people. See "Aurora".
                        2) Aiyana ("Frozen") was frozen in ice, not a stasis pod.
                        3) No, she's just very old and fragile. Shutting the system off for too long would kill her. Why would she rapidly age 50+ years just because they cut the power to her pod? She didn't randomly age even more when she was removed from it.
                        1. Those pods in "Aurora" seem to be different than the ones in Atlantis, seeing as they don't freeze you or anything, they just close the lid on the person, while the Atlantis/Antarctic Station ones seem to freeze the person.
                        2. I assumed that the Atlantis pod did freeze people. I'll have to go back and check to be sure though...
                        3. This, I assumed was a technicality issue that had to due with starting to revive her to normal but then the power went out in mid-process. (And seeing as how we don't actually know how Ancient Tech works, I thought it was fair to assume that something odd like that might happen. Perhaps the process of making her body go back to normal was in the process of speeding up the Wier's body's systems and since the power went out, it caused a massive increase of the rate that the cells divide or whatever in all the body's systems, which could've caused the premature aging. Again, its just a stab in the dark....)

Comment

hmm got me thinking about Weir
                          say she went into stasis 30 years old and got out 100
                          that means she aged 70 years over 10,000 years of stasis
                          that means for every 1000 years in stasis you age 7 years

assuming that's true, and she had to switch ZPMs every 3.3 thousand years
                          at the first switch she would have been 3.3*7 = 23.1 (53~ years old)
                          and at the second switch 76~ years old

Comment

(While old!Weir was still in stasis)

SHEPPARD: How could she drop dead? You said she was frozen.
                            McKAY: Technically she's in a state of metabolic stasis. Ageing slowed considerably, yes, but not entirely suspended.

It is also only later that he mentions almost killing her, so the aging had nothing to do with it. So unless you're gonna argue that Rodney's cataclysmically wrong, then, no.

Canonical evidence. There. The pods just slows your aging down considerably.

Comment

and ayana was dead and frozen and started to revive when they defrosted her
                              - Friendship is like peeing on yourself: everyone can see it, but only you get the warm feeling that it brings.
                              - When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.
                              - Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.
                              - Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils ...

Comment

Working...
                              X