The Sun

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Sun

I'm no astronomer, but doesn't the evolution of a star take place on the timescale of millions and billions of years and not 48,000? The star should not have been able to drastically change the planet to such an extent in such a small period of time. And only an additional 500 years to completely remove the atmosphere sounds even more suspect.

I still enjoyed the episode though.
    Games 'n Stuff

I'm no astronomer either, but maybe the star was close to its ending when sheppard got teleported? Not like it was born the day sheppard time traveled.

Comment

yep, you're right
      there's also the matter that if it boiled out the ocean
      there shouldn't have been breathable atmosphere in atlantis at all

not to mention the planet should have been scorched with fires and lava filling the horizon, not a desert

Comment

Originally posted by Heaven View Post
        yep, you're right
        there's also the matter that if it boiled out the ocean
        there shouldn't have been breathable atmosphere in atlantis at all

not to mention the planet should have been scorched with fires and lava filling the horizon, not a desert
        They should of stuck with the original Ice Age idea, but then we wouldn't of got the cool shots of Atlantis in the dunes so.

Though to be fair we don't know that the ocean turned into a desert because of the sun could of been something else
        A word of advice... there are creatures that live between this dimension and the next, fiendish creatures that feast on the suffering of an entire world to satiate their eternal hunger. Support the Gateworld Cantina or suffer the fate of all who fall into the clutches of the 'Eladrith Ynneas'

Comment

Well everything in the Universe formed when the Big bang occured, roughly 10 billions years ago. The ancients, or alterans were at most, 100 million years old. When they got to Earth, some 50 million years ago, and moved to PG, some 20 million years ago, the Solar systems in PG would've already formed and was probably in its mid stage-death. Remember, the ancients didn't create PG, so most of their solar systems ages are undetermined, the sun could've been dying when the ancients got there, and it takes a few million years to actually turn into a red giant, so when Sheppard was put in the future, it would be the time when the Sun would die.
          But yeah, the sand dunes are actually very scifi, cause when the Sun gets hotter, it should just heat the water so that it evaporates and leave the ground empty, but filled with sand? Not sure about that.
          Maybe under neath the water is sand? o.o

Comment

Well I'm glad to see other people have issues with the whole sun thing as well.

Assuming the star was of average mass and age (compared to our own Sun), it can be somewhat safe to assume then, it should be about 1/2 way through its life time of about 10 billion years. Being transported 48,000 years into the future is not going to make the star into a super giant, nor would it have boiled off all the planets water.

If the star was already approaching the super giant phase, the planet would not have been hospitable to life when Atlantis landed on it earlier this season. Our own planet will most likely become inhospitable to life in only a billion years - well before the red giant stage (in five billion years) becaue the Sun is burning hotter as it consumes the last of it fuel.

Now assuming the star is more massive (which will equal a shorter life span of about 10 million years), 48,000 years to turn it into a red giant isn't kosher either. Once again, you ahve the dilemma that if its very near that stage, the planet would have already been inhospitable to life.

The only conclusion I can come up with for the sun probelm, it's science fiction show. *shrugs*
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by The_Carpenter View Post
              They should of stuck with the original Ice Age idea, but then we wouldn't of got the cool shots of Atlantis in the dunes so.

Though to be fair we don't know that the ocean turned into a desert because of the sun could of been something else
              Where is the mention of it being ice originally?

Vala,

Comment

Originally posted by Gate Geek View Post
                Well I'm glad to see other people have issues with the whole sun thing as well.

Assuming the star was of average mass and age (compared to our own Sun), it can be somewhat safe to assume then, it should be about 1/2 way through its life time of about 10 billion years. Being transported 48,000 years into the future is not going to make the star into a super giant, nor would it have boiled off all the planets water.

If the star was already approaching the super giant phase, the planet would not have been hospitable to life when Atlantis landed on it earlier this season. Our own planet will most likely become inhospitable to life in only a billion years - well before the red giant stage (in five billion years) becaue the Sun is burning hotter as it consumes the last of it fuel.

Now assuming the star is more massive (which will equal a shorter life span of about 10 million years), 48,000 years to turn it into a red giant isn't kosher either. Once again, you ahve the dilemma that if its very near that stage, the planet would have already been inhospitable to life.

The only conclusion I can come up with for the sun probelm, it's science fiction show. *shrugs*
                Well i don't think the writers have a degree in astronomy do they? lol

Comment

Originally posted by Dr.Mckay View Post
                  Well i don't think the writers have a degree in astronomy do they? lol
                  The story could still work if the star in the system is really huge! Then it would have an extremly short lifespan (some 100k years tops).

Comment

I'm willing to accept that they might have just f***ed up here, but, in my own head, what really happened will never be known because McKay probably screwed up again and just programmed the hologram to lie to Shep so he wouldn't know when he got back to the present timeline.

I mean come on... McKay & Keller?
                    || Star Stream || Destiny Song || The Four Suns (My Band) || The Art of War <<== listen please!

Comment

There's another big hole in this sun plot; if McKay had never counted on it dying, then his flare predictions were based on it being normal. Besides that these wouldn't apply, a dying sun would probably have a very different surface and I imagine flares would be somewhat harder to predict and more volatile in nature, making Sheppard's return impossible.

Comment

Originally posted by placid View Post
                        There's another big hole in this sun plot; if McKay had never counted on it dying, then his flare predictions were based on it being normal. Besides that these wouldn't apply, a dying sun would probably have a very different surface and I imagine flares would be somewhat harder to predict and more volatile in nature, making Sheppard's return impossible.
                        He configured the sensors while Shepphard was there. Not before he died. So it works.

Comment

Originally posted by Corgano View Post
                          The story could still work if the star in the system is really huge! Then it would have an extremly short lifespan (some 100k years tops).
                          If that was the case, the lifetime of the star would be too short for any planets around it to even evolve to the point of being conductive to life. I can't see that as being a plausible option either.

And well, if the star was that huge, we'd be talking supernova explosion probably resulting in a black hole rather than a neutron star and I wouldn't want to consider being around a star like that regardless of its stage.
                          sigpic

Comment

Its possible the Wraith or other baddy sped up the death of the star to destroy Atlantis.

And I don't think they were using the local star to make the flare, but the same star that caused the original one.

Comment

It dosent really take much change for a sun to make a habitable planet inhabitable. Just a change of 5-10 degrees would be enough to kill everything. And once the plants and oceans are gone its just a matter of time before a planet goes to sand. Look at it like Earth into Mars into a giant sand ball into a steaming molten rock then its swallowed by its sun. Venus is in the other direction, like earth long before it became habitable through changing enviromental factors and the huge impact of emerging bacterial life.

Comment

Working...
                              X