PDA

View Full Version : Disappointed with the Arc of Truth? Spoilers

Pages : [1] 2

Hypochondriac
March 8th, 2008, 06:46 AM
I was severely disappointed with the Arc of Truth.

The replicators did not belong in that movie. It was idiotic, they should have had a battle for earth as the B storyline.

The hand to hand with the replicator human thing was also idiotic and too long. I thought the mountain scene with Teal'c was too long as well.

I really wanted to see the effect the Sangral(sp?) had on the Ori and the society, when they found out what happened.

I really hope the next movie was be better. I alway hate time travel but let's see

g.o.d
March 8th, 2008, 06:56 AM
I completely agree with you.

replicator part was idiotic and useless. I wanted to see the Ori against the Others. I wanted to learn more about the ascended beings. Both didn't happen.

Adria was fooled again:(

Drax
March 8th, 2008, 07:30 AM

She's determined, but sadly not quite bright. :p

There were a few things I did like about the movie (Teal'c's conversation with Tomin, Morgan's appearance to Daniel, and various other acting moments), but unfortunately, I've read fanfics that wrapped up the Ori arc much better than this. Though thankfully, it wasn't the all-out catastrophe of a disappointment that J.K. Rowling's hideously atrocious sixth Harry Potter book was, which just turned me off that series altogether. TAOT at least leaves me wanting to see more adventures in the future.

huntress
March 8th, 2008, 07:37 AM
I agree that the replicators really were out of place and on the whole the movie felt more like a very mediocre two parter in the middle of the series. It didn't even have the quality of a season finale - just some lame two parter. Really dissapointing.

s09119
March 8th, 2008, 07:45 AM

There were a few things I did like about the movie (Teal'c's conversation with Tomin, Morgan's appearance to Daniel, and various other acting moments), but unfortunately, I've read fanfics that wrapped up the Ori arc much better than this. Though thankfully, it wasn't the all-out catastrophe of a disappointment that J.K. Rowling's hideously atrocious sixth Harry Potter book was, which just turned me off that series altogether. TAOT at least leaves me wanting to see more adventures in the future.

Can you point me at a few such fanfics? Sound good.

Blistna
March 8th, 2008, 08:18 AM

...yea, what fan fics? And I LOVED THE SIX BOOK!!!!! Would have loved the 7th if it weren 't ruined for me...

ColCaldwell
March 8th, 2008, 08:20 AM
Completely agree, I seriously wonder if the writers didnt try for this. Im wondering where the all the money of the budget went? Only a few new sets, no big name guess stars...seriously did the producers embezzle?

SylvreWolfe
March 8th, 2008, 08:25 AM
I would have to disagree, the movie was far better than the series.

Blistna
March 8th, 2008, 08:28 AM
btw, i actually loved the movie...i just want to know the fan fics of the Ori storyline!

Ladyinred
March 8th, 2008, 08:30 AM
I completely agree with you.

replicator part was idiotic and useless. I wanted to see the Ori against the Others. I wanted to learn more about the ascended beings. Both didn't happen.

You're forgetting all the time that Adria is still a little CHILD. That's why it's quite easy to fool and distract her.

g.o.d
March 8th, 2008, 09:25 AM
Can you point me at a few such fanfics? Sound good.

yours;)

g.o.d
March 8th, 2008, 09:30 AM
You're forgetting all the time that Adria is still a little CHILD. That's why it's quite easy to fool and distract her.

you can't be serious. She's an ascended being.She grew up faster in few weeks, that's all + she had knowledge of the Ori and later she had their collective power.

even prior was able to detect cloaked sodan warrior and suddenly an ascended being wasn't able to say:"step away from the ark."

briliantly idiotic ending

valaCB
March 8th, 2008, 09:41 AM

The replicators did not belong in that movie. It was idiotic, they should have had a battle for earth as the B storyline.

The hand to hand with the replicator human thing was also idiotic and too long. I thought the mountain scene with Teal'c was too long as well.

I really wanted to see the effect the Sangral(sp?) had on the Ori and the society, when they found out what happened.

I really hope the next movie was be better. I alway hate time travel but let's see

Agree:S

jenks
March 8th, 2008, 09:48 AM
you can't be serious. She's an ascended being.She grew up faster in few weeks, that's all + she had knowledge of the Ori and later she had their collective power.

even prior was able to detect cloaked sodan warrior and suddenly an ascended being wasn't able to say:"step away from the ark."

briliantly idiotic ending

Knowledge doesn't make you intelligent.

g.o.d
March 8th, 2008, 09:52 AM

no, it doesn't. One day RCC says the ascended have higher level of perception and later we saw an idiotic ascended beings lacking basic human instincts (she was human)

Ladyinred
March 8th, 2008, 10:48 AM

Precisely. You need to have AGES or even CENTURIES in case of Ascended beings case of experience to know exactly how to use the knowledge you possess. Adria being a CHILD doesn't know this.

g.o.d
March 8th, 2008, 10:58 AM
Precisely. You need to have AGES or even CENTURIES in case of Ascended beings case of experience to know exactly how to use the knowledge you possess. Adria being a CHILD doesn't know this.

of course, it takes centuries to learn how to say "step away from the ark." or "if you touch it again, I'll kill you." :)

david2708
March 8th, 2008, 01:10 PM
What the movies shows is two things.
One is they DON'T know how to write for film as they claimed they would be doing with this one. Writing for film is NOT just a pointless long pan of mountains etc intermixed with talking heads.
Secondly it shows just how past it the people who write the show are. The movie reeks of the staleness that plagued the latter seasons. It's such a pity that a talented topnotch cast are beholden to a bunch of people who really should have moved on years ago and let other creative minds come in and rejuvinate the show.
AOT is strictly for the fans-the fans who don't criticize anything in the Stargate universe where everything is always 'amazing'. Certainly no-one new will be attracted to the franchise.
Having seen the leaked versions, I won't be buying the DVD till some latter time when it's cheaper-if only for the cast's sake.

Detox
March 8th, 2008, 01:28 PM
The only thing I was disappointed in, was that it was too short. They really needed an 11th season to finish it off. The movie did it fairly well, but I would've liked to see more.

jenks
March 8th, 2008, 02:49 PM
of course, it takes centuries to learn how to say "step away from the ark." or "if you touch it again, I'll kill you." :)

She was distracted, why is that so hard to understand?

SylvreWolfe
March 8th, 2008, 03:59 PM

Exactly. Nor does it make you emotionally mature enough to grasp concepts. Or question that these *inferior* beings might actually be able to defeat such a *superior* being. She even questioned Vala about how they were able to get as far as they did, being so inferior. Supervillains with super powers don't tend to believe that the *inferior* beings are capable of destroying them.

no, it doesn't. One day RCC says the ascended have higher level of perception and later we saw an idiotic ascended beings lacking basic human instincts (she was human)

I don't take everything Cooper, Wright, or Mallozzi say with a grain of salt, I use the whole damned bucket of salt for them. They change their *canon* as often as most people change their underwear and it is almost always to cover up their own lazy writing.

kirmit
March 8th, 2008, 04:48 PM
I don't take everything Cooper, Wright, or Mallozzi say with a grain of salt, I use the whole damned bucket of salt for them. They change their *canon* as often as most people change their underwear and it is almost always to cover up their own lazy writing.

Truer words were never spoken.

Drax
March 8th, 2008, 05:39 PM
...yea, what fan fics? And I LOVED THE SIX BOOK!!!!! Would have loved the 7th if it weren 't ruined for me...

Yegh... to each their own about Rowling's last two stinkers.

As for those fanfics, I'll have to dig them up at Fanfiction.net because it was a while ago when I read them. They had their own set of problems too, but I enjoyed them more.

Dr. Michael Benjamin
March 8th, 2008, 10:18 PM
After watching the entire movie on youtube I'd like to share my opinion. Maybe I'm crazy but one of the expectations I had prior to seeing it was that at some point in the film SG-1 would oh I don't know..actually USE the stargate. I don't want to give anything away here but the only gate travel SG-1 does is with the supergate....once. The rest of the movie is a random assortment of sequences that appeared to be a mix created from the cutting room floor from the last two seasons of the series. It starts out promising enough with a feel of an episode of SG-1 with Daniel doing his best Indiana Jones archeologist and humorous banter ala Valla. However things quickly devolve into a Star Trek rip off. Why, when you have a fantastic plot device such as a stargate, do you opt for the tired "shields up" sci-fi standby? I cannot understand this. Perhaps in a brilliant attempt to remind the viewer that this is indeed Stargate, the writers continue to dismantle the wonder that was SG-1 by lifting a plot from an episode of the original Star Trek. More accurately maybe the film should have been named Stargate: The Trouble with Tribbles....umm....Replicators. Replete with our stalwart heroes beaming all over, locking horns with Ori ships and a shallow, flaming ubervillaness who acts more like a spoiled trust fund baby rather than an all powerful semi-omnipotent force of evil. Ark of Truth seems to be not a grand send off to the Ori story but a eulogy to a once marvelous and creative TV series. I won't spoil the movie for anyone else but the film focuses more on the Replicator issue than with the Ark itself. Its a shame because there seemed to be a very interesting backstory to the device and could have brought a very nice element of continuity to the story but, again, the writers chose to stick with the flashy sci-fi aspect (as though they want the viewer to truly understand that the FX budget is bigger because we're watching a straight to DVD concoction rather than an SG-1 episode) instead of reaching back to the events of remote antiquity that separated Stargate from the rest of the pack. I sat at the end and was expecting more. If you are a fan of neat and cohesive endings that answer your questions or even give you a sense of closure this won't do it. Many things may remain for you to ponder after you've watched the movie. For example: What exactly happens to Adria? (seeing her get her comeuppance from the Ascended would have been especially sweet), how exactly does the Ark work? (again.....could have been a really fascinating point), or why did we spend nearly half the movie watching our heroes trying to figure out a way to defeat an enemy that had supposedly already been defeated? I'm sorry to say this film is a real dissappointment. It almost seemed like the writers were rolling their collective eyes at fans who had the audacity to be dissatisfied when SG-1 was suddenly (and abruptly) ended. I could imagine what their brainstorming meetings entailed...the PTB sitting around a big table: "How can we shut these people up and how can we do it as quickly as possible? Ahh I know how about a stright-to-DVD B flick? There you go...heres a few dollars, sign up the actors and lets have this done with. After all we here at Sci-Fi have better jems to worry about....such as Flash Gordon and ECW." Despite its downfalls Ark of Truth still (even if its in name only) is Stargate, for that I have to give it 2 out of 5 stars. I don't really see anything in this film that makes me want to watch it again. Maybe others will like it.....I certainly do not.

david2708
March 8th, 2008, 10:32 PM
At first i had the thought that they should have scrubbed Continuum and fleshed out AOT as a 4/5 parter. Then you realise they couldn't even flesh it out to 2 with the inclusion of the old replicators.

Drax
March 8th, 2008, 10:52 PM
Oh, there was heaps they could have done to flesh this out to a Replicator-less two and a half hour movie (if only).

Roland Emmerich did a wonderful job on the original movie with just one villain with awe-inspiring mystique and a script that had a satisfying beginning, middle and end, but these guys with ten years under their belts in the franchise couldn't even come up with a decent 100 minute feature that even attempted to be great.

Dr. Michael Benjamin
March 8th, 2008, 11:09 PM
I forgot to mention something that I did like from AoT. The interaction between Teal'C and Valla's ex (don't remember his name) on board the ship. There was an actual moment of emotional/character development that seemed nearly out of place in the film. It was the bright spot of the movie. It managed to touch back to the beginnings of SG-1 when Teal'c turned against Apophis.
Drax, imagine what the original movie could have been like had Emmerich been allowed to bring more of his story to the screen. Ra was one of those villans who didn't need to actually kick everyone's butt to be bad because most of his power rests in intimidation. Sadly, AoT was so disjoined that I wouldn't have been suprised to see a Serpent Guard chorus line (ala the Rockettes) during the final scene. I suppose it could have been worse though: AoT could have been one of those episodes that was nothign more than clips of older episodes.

Drax
March 8th, 2008, 11:46 PM
Yes, and Emmerich's film was much more coherent and flowed very nicely. I know the script wasn't Shakespeare or Welles, but it treated the genre and sci-fi/adventure conventions with class and respect.

Ra was an intimidating villain who raised the stakes by being an immediate threat to the heroes and eventually to Earth with the naquadah bomb. Adria seemed to have exhausted her intimidation because everything that could be displayed about her that was even threatening had already been shown in Season 10, but they should have actually given her something to do - show us why she's do damn powerful. Roger Ebert said that "Each film is only as good as its villain. Since the heroes and the gimmicks tend to repeat from film to film, only a great villain can transform a good try into a triumph."

To the fault of the writers, I'm afraid the TAOT and Adria fit together nicely, even though she was capable of so much more. :(

g.o.d
March 9th, 2008, 03:39 AM
She was distracted, why is that so hard to understand?

yes, this is the ultimate answer. She was always distracted:)

g.o.d
March 9th, 2008, 03:40 AM

I agree. Lazy writing

Hypochondriac
March 9th, 2008, 09:39 AM
For me the replacators ruined the movie. Whose idea was it to include them?

SylvreWolfe
March 9th, 2008, 10:05 AM
I do have to agree with the complaints about the replicators. Maybe that story line could have been written better, but as it was written it was just a sidetrack to distract from what was going on. I know the intent was to cause some *drama* and *conflict* aboard the ship for Carter and Mitchell to have to deal with, but that could have been accomplished some other way without the lame-o replicators. And Mitchell still could have gotten his ass beat by a saboteur, or some such thing.

But, overall, I still think it was a good movie, as compared to the series. It was better than a lot of episodes over the the ten seasons. But, even any movie can be griped at and nitpicked.

SylvreWolfe
March 9th, 2008, 10:06 AM
For me the replacators ruined the movie. Whose idea was it to include them?

Cooper would be my bet, or Joe M. Neither one impresses me much.

ColCaldwell
March 9th, 2008, 12:40 PM
Overall, I am glad I saw the leaked version over buying the DVD. This is seriously a half-assed attempt.

Ouroboros
March 9th, 2008, 12:58 PM
No one's mentioned the ending yet? Did the trauma of it just make you block it out?:D

The idea that the entire intergalactic Ori army is defeated by 1 guy looking into a magic box is so beyond stupid and so beyond hack writing that even calling it a dues ex machina would be elevating it higher than it deserves to be.

I mean seriously, a ****ing magic box. That's the big wrap up.

It cost no doubt millions of dollars to make this. Just let that sink in for a minute. Millions of dollars.

g.o.d
March 9th, 2008, 01:14 PM
No one's mentioned the ending yet? Did the trauma of it just make you block it out?:D

The idea that the entire intergalactic Ori army is defeated by 1 guy looking into a magic box is so beyond stupid and so beyond hack writing that even calling it a dues ex machina would be elevating it higher than it deserves to be.

It cost no doubt millions of dollars to make this. Just let that sink in for a minute. Millions of dollars.

we can't really expect writing like Babylon 5. Stargate is always about finding miraculous weapon/device/whatever which can defeat ancient race in matter of seconds. Such a shame:( Dakara device against the replicators was a great idea, but this magic box was something incredibly lame and stupid beyond imagination:S and sangraal?. It was a nice idea but the execution was too simple. We sent device and on the other side of wormhole very powerful ascended beings didn't notice that something was happening:S lazy writing

Dr. Michael Benjamin
March 9th, 2008, 04:53 PM

Ouroboros I've already posted my opinion of the film including the ending. One of the biggest problems I have with the end is that Adria turns into a little red firefly and mixes it up with an Ascended. Other than that the audience is given no further information about who came out on top in that little throw down or what kind of consequences Adria suffered for her actions. Secondly, why did the writers even bother putting Mitchell or Carter in the film? They had absolutely no relevance to the story line at all. The two spend their portion of the movie either playing with the Asgard core or fighting (very poorly) a Replicator zombie. Daniel pretty much moved the entire story forward. That along with Teal'c's single shot from an Ori staff weapon literally saved the galaxy, everyone else could have stayed home. This movie is just absolutely baffling. If you are Sci-Fi why would you treat your moneymaker series like this? Its insulting to both the franchise and the fans who made SG-1 the ten year success it was. The story of Anubis' destruction (don't remember the episode names...."Full Cirlce" maybe) was lightyears ahead of AoT in terms of story quality and rewatchability. As I've said for some time, when SG-1 started using spaceships instead of the stargate things started going downhill. I know thats what attracted me to the series. The stargate is unique, its original, and its a belielvable element-leave spaceships to the likes of BSG, SG-1 was great because it showed earthlings, with only a stargate, hanging in there with those spaceship weilding baddies and dishing out some pretty sweet butt whippings. If TPTB had no idea how to come up with a story that the franchise and the fans deserve I'd prefer it if they left well enough alone and let SG-1 fade away on its own. This movie was a joke.

Drax
March 9th, 2008, 05:04 PM
One of the biggest problems I have with the end is that Adria turns into a little red firefly and mixes it up with an Ascended.

I like your obscure sci-fi reference. :p

I personally thought the ending sucked too. What a way to end with a fizzer.

david2708
March 9th, 2008, 08:21 PM

I thought the magic box contained Joe Malozzi's blog: One look and the Ori decided the Milky Way wasn't worth it.

wise one
March 10th, 2008, 07:11 AM
it always nice to see the original replicators but not in this way, it wasnt needed, they could used those scenes for space battles or more on the ascended or their history, or what happened to adria when she ascended in the milkyway

there were some good bits but the whole replicator plot just ruined it and the bit with a replicator embedded into a human was like wtf!!!! a single staff blast kills a person but when a replicator rips like half your back off and puts its arms into your skull and brains you still able to move let alone speak!!

and i was expecting something like an ori ship being destroyed or something blowing up but the only thing that was nearly destroyed was that of a top of a lid in dakara and o yes a table leg!

Drax
March 10th, 2008, 07:15 AM
there were some good bits but the whole replicator plot just ruined it and the bit with a replicator embedded into a human was like wtf!!!! a single staff blast kills a person but when a replicator rips like half your back off and puts its arms into your skull and brains you still able to move let alone speak!!

"Lookin' for this?"

I swear that sounded like Freddy Krueger.

Ouroboros
March 10th, 2008, 11:14 PM
Ouroboros I've already posted my opinion of the film including the ending. One of the biggest problems I have with the end is that Adria turns into a little red firefly and mixes it up with an Ascended.

In the version I saw she turned into something that looked rather more like a blob of silly putty which actually added a nice little moment of humour to an otherwise awful experience.

we can't really expect writing like Babylon 5. Stargate is always about finding miraculous weapon/device/whatever which can defeat ancient race in matter of seconds. Such a shame Dakara device against the replicators was a great idea, but this magic box was something incredibly lame and stupid beyond imagination and sangraal?.

Other than that the audience is given no further information about who came out on top in that little throw down or what kind of consequences Adria suffered for her actions. Secondly, why did the writers even bother putting Mitchell or Carter in the film? They had absolutely no relevance to the story line at all. The two spend their portion of the movie either playing with the Asgard core or fighting (very poorly) a Replicator zombie. Daniel pretty much moved the entire story forward. That along with Teal'c's single shot from an Ori staff weapon literally saved the galaxy, everyone else could have stayed home. This movie is just absolutely baffling. If you are Sci-Fi why would you treat your moneymaker series like this? Its insulting to both the franchise and the fans who made SG-1 the ten year success it was. The story of Anubis' destruction (don't remember the episode names...."Full Cirlce" maybe) was lightyears ahead of AoT in terms of story quality and rewatchability. As I've said for some time, when SG-1 started using spaceships instead of the stargate things started going downhill. I know thats what attracted me to the series. The stargate is unique, its original, and its a belielvable element-leave spaceships to the likes of BSG, SG-1 was great because it showed earthlings, with only a stargate, hanging in there with those spaceship weilding baddies and dishing out some pretty sweet butt whippings. If TPTB had no idea how to come up with a story that the franchise and the fans deserve I'd prefer it if they left well enough alone and let SG-1 fade away on its own. This movie was a joke.

The thing I keep coming back to is all that stuff they said about how they needed an extra movie to "wrap up the Ori storyline". Bull****. This hackjob could have easily fit into the series finale and took it's dump on the series there. It's not like it took a lot of painstaking thought or complex rewriting to arrive at the idea of a magic box that just solves every problem when opened.

No, the only reason this was a seperate movie was very simple. To milk as much money out of the franchise as possible. They could have put this crapola "resolution" in the finale easily, but if they'd done that they couldn't have charged people 30 bucks a head to watch it. Might not have had time for the replicator garbage then though, and surely we wouldn't want to miss out on "replicator rehash #3,761".

I hear the next one's a timetravel plot to, no doubt ending in a typical reset button. In other words completely pointless and totally unecessary toward any interest other than simply milking what's left of this series to make as much money as possible.

Drax
March 11th, 2008, 01:14 AM
You're actually quite right. With the fact in mind that they were canceled, they could have ditched a few of the boring filler episodes and the second half of Season 10 could have looked like this....

The Quest, Part 2 1011

Line In The Sand 1012

The Road Not Taken 1013

The Shroud 1014

Dominion 1015

Unending 1016

The Ark of Truth, Part 1 1017

The Ark of Truth, Part 2 1018

Continuum, Part 1 1019

Continuum, Part 2 1020

With "The Ark of Truth" as a two-parter, the screen time allowing for the Replicator plot would be greatly reduced, so they'd have to cut it out, which would leave more time to develop the Ori plot properly. And finally with the "Continuum" two-parter, you'd have RDA back again for the final episode ever.

What?
March 11th, 2008, 03:51 AM
Why oh WHY are you surposed FANS of stargate flaming this movie! Just be glad that there was more stargate SG:1, cus i certainly missed Teal'c, Vala, jackson, carter and mitchell! You people saying the story was ruined because

"they didn't blow an Ori ship up, there should have been more space fights"

Didn't you GET the story, They were looking for the Ark to make sure No-one died, that was the whole point, to stop more death!

"they shouldn't have put the replicators in it"

yes MAYBE that wasn't the best idea, but it made sence! New IOA member to annoy us like Kinsey and Woosley, and making a replicator sounds like an idea the IOA could only think of, like keeping anubuis's "son" alive.
But at the same time the replicators brought a sence or ergency to a film that could have been a similar treasure hunt to searching for the Sangral.

And how else did you expect the Ori ships to find SG:1? " oh lets leave the asgard core on so the ori can find us and outnumber us" The IOA making a replicator to invest the Ori ships is the ONLY thing i can think of which can justify turning the core on.

One last rant before at the surposed stargate fans,

"the scenes of the mountain with Teal'c were too long"

No they weren't, the point of those scenes were to give a sence of relism of what Teal'c had to go through to make sure, once again, NO one else died because of the Ori! It shows heart! He is close to death and he continues because of wht he said to Tollen!

Also don't forget it was a FILM not a two parter merged into one. Thinking of it that way the scenes like this work very well!

:o Rant over

My Opinion

The story is great, also it is probally Ben Browder's BEST performance he has ever made, Cam Mitchell really stood out in this film and has rightfully taken his place as leader of SG:1, the emotional scenes were very well writen and acted. Loved the reintroduction of the replicators, it gave the movie pace. Best Stargate YET!

For people for red this LONG post, thank you for your time. :cameron::sam::tealc::daniel::vala:

g.o.d
March 11th, 2008, 04:20 AM
Why oh WHY are you surposed FANS of stargate flaming this movie! Just be glad that there was more stargate SG:1, cus i certainly missed Teal'c, Vala, jackson, carter and mitchell! You people saying the story was ruined because

"they didn't blow an Ori ship up, there should have been more space fights"

Didn't you GET the story, They were looking for the Ark to make sure No-one died, that was the whole point, to stop more death!

many of us thinks it would have been very cool to have a space battle in Earth's orbit. Our fleet+ allied vessels against the Ori fleet. Camelot 2.0

"they shouldn't have put the replicators in it"

yes MAYBE that wasn't the best idea, but it made sence! New IOA member to annoy us like Kinsey and Woosley, and making a replicator sounds like an idea the IOA could only think of, like keeping anubuis's "son" alive.
But at the same time the replicators brought a sence or ergency to a film that could have been a similar treasure hunt to searching for the Sangral.

I'm not entirely against the replicaotr part. IOA had their own plan which was very interesting. But the main problem is, that the replicator part was too long and filled almost a half of the movie. That's what I hate about replicator part.

"the scenes of the mountain with Teal'c were too long"

No they weren't, the point of those scenes were to give a sence of relism of what Teal'c had to go through to make sure, once again, NO one else died because of the Ori! It shows heart! He is close to death and he continues because of wht he said to Tollen!

we had it in the beginning. It's very lame that only minutes passed aboard the Odyssey and Teal'c crossed mountains. I really didn't want to see National Geographic twice.

Also don't forget it was a FILM not a two parter merged into one. Thinking of it that way the scenes like this work very well!

really? I don't think so. Lost City wasn't a movie but a two episodes and it was done better than AoT. It had everything.

Mister Oragahn
March 11th, 2008, 04:33 AM

Brillant. You're cannon fodder.

There's one reason though, why they didn't cram the Arc and else in SG-1, it's that the show was suddenly canceled near the end of the tenth season (they say), so they got caught pants down.

I'd rather have a book completing this season, and have plenty of crusty details and so, than such a poor movie.

g.o.d
March 11th, 2008, 04:49 AM
Brillant. You're cannon fodder.

There's one reason though, why they didn't cram the Arc and else in SG-1, it's that the show was suddenly canceled near the end of the tenth season (they say), so they got caught pants down.

I'd rather have a book completing this season, and have plenty of crusty details and so, than such a poor movie.

I agree. Book will do a better work than this crappy movie with plot-holes

g.o.d
March 11th, 2008, 05:35 AM
I've been reaing an interview with RCC whe he talked about AoT a I found this:

What's interesting to me, and what we're going to also explore in the movie, is that the Ancients have always had this non-interference policy. They've been sort of these bystanders watching their experiment develop. And the Ancients are the ones being threatened by the Ori.

did I miss something in AoT? :S

Drax
March 11th, 2008, 06:08 AM

Deleted scenes we'll never see.

bluestrike
March 11th, 2008, 03:37 PM
I thought the movie was good. Vala was the real problem for me. She adds nothing.

Mister Oragahn
March 11th, 2008, 03:47 PM

No, that's about the scene with Alterans' big plans for the universe, plotting in a cave before they leave the mountain. Notice how their civilization amounted to one village stuck on the cliff of some mountain, not too far from Celestis.
You can feel teh ePic.

NoobTau'ri
March 11th, 2008, 04:32 PM

Here is my review of AOT:

It sucked.

The end.

NoobTau'ri
March 11th, 2008, 04:55 PM

Arthur C Clarke:

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

So it is fitting that you describe the arc of truth as a "magic box", because that is how it strikes our primitive minds. In reality, it is an extremely complicated and scientifically advanced apparatus that look like magic to us because it is too advanced for us to comprehend.:)

Mark9
March 11th, 2008, 05:47 PM
I too was not pleased with The Arc of Truth. The Replicator part of the plot was stupid. The Ark idea was weak and underdeveloped. I was hoping the plot would involve the Ancients deciding to draw the line and fight, and that Stargate Command would begin to exploit the recently acquired Asgard Core. (You know, solve the tracking problem revealed in the last episode of Season 10, figure out how to use SOME OF THE VAST KNOWLEDGE OF THE ASGARD to kick some Ori butt), and generally bring havoc and fear to the smug Ori Priors and followers while in the process of finding and using the Ark.

It was a missed opportunity. They could have opened up some new story lines for future SG-1 movies, or future Atlantis episodes leveraging Asgard technology against the Wraith.

jenks
March 11th, 2008, 05:49 PM
I too was not pleased with The Arc of Truth. The Replicator part of the plot was stupid. The Ark idea was weak and underdeveloped. I was hoping the plot would involve the Ancients deciding to draw the line and fight, and that Stargate Command would begin to exploit the recently acquired Asgard Core. (You know, solve the tracking problem revealed in the last episode of Season 10, figure out how to use SOME OF THE VAST KNOWLEDGE OF THE ASGARD to kick some Ori butt), and generally bring havoc and fear to the smug Ori Priors and followers while in the process of finding and using the Ark.

It was a missed opportunity. They could have opened up some new story lines for future SG-1 movies, or future Atlantis episodes leveraging Asgard technology against the Wraith.

Haven't you been watching season 4?

Mark9
March 11th, 2008, 06:06 PM
Haven't you been watching season 4?

I have been traveling and have the last 4 episodes to catch up on this weekend, but please "Spoil Me" and tell me what has been done in Season 4 Atlantis regarding leveraging the Asgard Core?

DarkSullivan
March 11th, 2008, 06:23 PM
IMO the movie was great, BUT the replicators did make it good (sorta), but when adria said the ori was killed they didnt flashback to when the sangraal went off and you ACTUALLY SAW the ori getting killed. Plus the movie was very short. AND the biggest disappointment was that we DIDNT SEE THE ODYSSEY USE THERE BEAM WEAPONS!!!!!!!! 8/10 for my rating.:)

RamonaThePest
March 11th, 2008, 07:14 PM

we can't really expect writing like Babylon 5. Stargate is always about finding miraculous weapon/device/whatever which can defeat ancient race in matter of seconds. Such a shame:( Dakara device against the replicators was a great idea, but this magic box was something incredibly lame and stupid beyond imagination:S and sangraal?. It was a nice idea but the execution was too simple. We sent device and on the other side of wormhole very powerful ascended beings didn't notice that something was happening:S lazy writing

And to top it off, the head Prior who looked into the box did not even have his staff in his hand! If I understood the storyline correctly, it was because of the link of every staff to every prior within a certain distance that the message would be spread. I didn't expect much from this movie and resigned myself to just try appreciate that we at least got another episode, but IT WAS WORSE THAN EVEN MY LOW EXPECTATIONS! Not one surprise anywhere in the movie. Everything predictable except the stuff that was totally stupid. Anybody watching would know
the replicators would stop just prior to killing anyone at the very last moment. At least let me get caught up enough to be surprised at how they're saved. Same ol' same ol'. And what the heck was up with the Jason and the Argonauts replicator skeleton??? Talk about doing something just because the producer/director thought it would be cool to do but made NO SENSE WHATSOEVER in the storyline. And I love the replicators and I liked seeing them brought back into the story. I even liked the premise of how and why they were brought back. But come on. There were more holes in the plot than I would ever have thought the writers and producers of Stargate would allow. What made Seasons 1-7 great was the attention to detail and continuity. Even when you think "oh, they missed that or got it wrong", if you really thought about it, there was a reason for every plot device that played into a previous storyline. This movie could not even be considered anywhere near the quality of a Season 1-7 season ending cliffhanger "movie".

RamonaThePest
March 11th, 2008, 07:23 PM
...The story is great, also it is probally Ben Browder's BEST performance he has ever made, Cam Mitchell really stood out in this film and has rightfully taken his place as leader of SG:1, the emotional scenes were very well writen and acted. ...

If you thought that was good acting, you should rent or buy the Farscape dvds. That man can act. The same is true for Claudia Black. Those two can whip up sincere looking tears and facial emotions out of thin air! Farscape is mega fun, adverturous, and eye candy, but be warned, the plot has lots of turns that don't necessarily keep it's continuity but it's worth every minute. And as I said, the acting is SUPERB!

KindlyKeller
March 11th, 2008, 07:23 PM
Not in the slightest. I thought the IOA-replicator bit was brilliant. It was a genuinely shocking moment.

And the Teal'c/Tomin chat was as good a character moment as any they've written in as long as I can remember.

Great movie.

Drax
March 11th, 2008, 07:48 PM
It's unbelievable how mixed the reception to this movie is. Some loved the IOA plot, while others detested its very presence. Some were satisfied with the Ori plot, others expected more.

Ouroboros
March 11th, 2008, 07:48 PM

Put it this way. If you tuned in to watch stargate SG-1 and a giant hand with Stargate written on it came out of the TV and punched you in the groin 13 times would you still want more stargate like that?

People don't like it because much like a baker's dozen worth of shots to the balls this is not what made us watch stargate in the first place and is kinda painful to endure.

KindlyKeller
March 11th, 2008, 07:50 PM
I guess their point is that one doesn't HAVE to "endure" it. There's a choice to be made. Turn away from the hand that is "punching you in the groin."

Ouroboros
March 11th, 2008, 07:52 PM
And to top it off, the head Prior who looked into the box did not even have his staff in his hand! If I understood the storyline correctly, it was because of the link of every staff to every prior within a certain distance that the message would be spread. I didn't expect much from this movie and resigned myself to just try appreciate that we at least got another episode, but IT WAS WORSE THAN EVEN MY LOW EXPECTATIONS! Not one surprise anywhere in the movie. Everything predictable except the stuff that was totally stupid. Anybody watching would know

Yes that was just precious wasn't it. They've got one massive dues ex machina plot device (the ark itself) linking into another one (the idea of the ark effect passing through staffs) and they're so devoid of talent that even with both of them there's still plot holes in the resolution.

RamonaThePest
March 11th, 2008, 07:55 PM
Oh, and I forgot to mention the BIGGEST PLOT HOLE OF THE MOVIE AND OF ANY ALL TIME FOR ANY MOVIE THAT I CAN THINK OF -- how could Tomin be utilized as a spy to help SG-1 seek out secret hidden rebels for help when he was a high ranking officer of the Ori as far as the rebels would know? Even if he says he's changed, who would put their lives and risk their entire movement being discovered by blindly trusting him? They needed a better plot device as a reason for him to go with them than that.:(

Ouroboros
March 11th, 2008, 07:59 PM
I guess their point is that one doesn't HAVE to "endure" it. There's a choice to be made. Turn away from the hand that is "punching you in the groin."

They don't have to read, let alone respond to, threads called "Dissappointed with the Ark of Truth".

RamonaThePest
March 11th, 2008, 08:04 PM
Put it this way. If you tuned in to watch stargate SG-1 and a giant hand with Stargate written on it came out of the TV and punched you in the groin 13 times would you still want more stargate like that?

People don't like it because much like a baker's dozen worth of shots to the balls this is not what made us watch stargate in the first place and is kinda painful to endure.

[/ HILARIOUS!!!!

RamonaThePest
March 11th, 2008, 08:24 PM
Sorry to clog up the thread but I'm still amazed at how bad this movie was so I'm logging back in.

The only positives I can say are:
1) The Teal'c/Tomin conversation.
2) The line Mitchell had in response to the RepliSkeleton saying "kill me" --"I'm trying to!"
3)Daniel advising Vala to accept the fault for bringing our galaxy to the Ori's attention.

Oh, speaking of RepliSkeleton, during the fight sequence with Mitchell, he ever-so-delicately pulls the replicator leg out of the skeleton's skull. It just didn't look like what would happen in a fight. It would be yanked at or come out during the fight, but it looked so much like "pull it out but be sure not to break the prop!"

Someone else here in the thread mentioned Teal'c's horrible gray streak. On the dvd extras, they're interviewing Michael Shanks and he reaches over to put Teal'c gray bit back on. It looked like a horrible piece of cotton or fake Christmas snow! They could have put a few dollars into making that look a little better. It's a small thing but it was distracting for every scene he was in. It looked more like a Nike swoosh or a Dennis Rodman mistake than a gray streak. Oh well, at least they got rid of Vala's skunk hair.

ColCaldwell
March 11th, 2008, 08:35 PM
If someone hasn't bought this movie let me know. I'll poop in one hand and give it to you, same thing as this pile of crap movie.

g.o.d
March 12th, 2008, 03:16 AM
No, that's about the scene with Alterans' big plans for the universe, plotting in a cave before they leave the mountain. Notice how their civilization amounted to one village stuck on the cliff of some mountain, not too far from Celestis.
You can feel teh ePic.

what? that was it? wow, it's so elaborate:)

g.o.d
March 12th, 2008, 03:22 AM
Oh, and I forgot to mention the BIGGEST PLOT HOLE OF THE MOVIE AND OF ANY ALL TIME FOR ANY MOVIE THAT I CAN THINK OF -- how could Tomin be utilized as a spy to help SG-1 seek out secret hidden rebels for help when he was a high ranking officer of the Ori as far as the rebels would know? Even if he says he's changed, who would put their lives and risk their entire movement being discovered by blindly trusting him? They needed a better plot device as a reason for him to go with them than that.:(

and the funniest thing, he betrayed the Ori in 1013 when he helped Vala to escape. And nothing happened to him. It wasn't even mentioned:S

lunarleviathan
March 12th, 2008, 04:03 AM
Have to say, I was MAJORLY disappointed with TAoT.

The production quality was lower than a standard episode of SG-1 or SGA. At the beginning when the team are searching for the Ark in some ruins the set is ghastly. The FX used when the Alterans are inside the mountain during the flashback scenes looked terrible. The production quality should be higher, not lower, for a DVD movie.

A lot of very random things happen. Teal'c getting shot, then getting up, when walking god knows how far, then falling down, being healed by Ascended Morgan, then being able to sneak in dressed as a Prior? WHAT? Sorry, but that's just absurd.

The replicator zombie ex-CIA IOA guy. Sorry, but no. That was a terrible idea. Firstly, this guy was meant to be ex-CIA black ops and yet when he's locked up after creating the replicators, the first sound of them crawling through the walls is enough to make him run to the door screaming in terror? That doesn't fit the character at all. Secondly, the fight scene he/it had with Mitchell was awful. "Kill me now?" If O'neill were around he'd probably be like "Now that's a cliché".

Also, since when can you imbed a microchip into a crystal? That was horribly inconsistent prop design that goes against canon imo.

Let's also not forget about the replicator. It's contained by a force field, so the obvious way to get rid of it is to try the ARG. Actually no, that was obviously a bad idea. It should've been beamed into the centre of the nearest star. The entire concept of having replicator zombie ex-CIA IOA guy try to release replicators in the Ori galaxy was silly and poorly thought out.

I for one think the entire movie was full of filler because they had no idea what to do. Most screen time was spent dealing with the replicators than the actual main plot, which says a lot. If they couldn't even manage to fill less than 2h with Ori-centric plot, then I'm glad they never got the chance to make another season as it would surely have been even worse.

Probably will get flamed for this post, but it's all true... I just hope Continuum is better.

g.o.d
March 12th, 2008, 04:08 AM
Probably will get flamed for this post, but it's all true... I just hope Continuum is better.

no, you won't. This thread is for us, who didn't like AoT

fuchsia
March 12th, 2008, 04:27 AM
Have to say, I was MAJORLY disappointed with TAoT.

The production quality was lower than a standard episode of SG-1 or SGA. At the beginning when the team are searching for the Ark in some ruins the set is ghastly. The FX used when the Alterans are inside the mountain during the flashback scenes looked terrible. The production quality should be higher, not lower, for a DVD movie.

A lot of very random things happen. Teal'c getting shot, then getting up, when walking god knows how far, then falling down, being healed by Ascended Morgan, then being able to sneak in dressed as a Prior? WHAT? Sorry, but that's just absurd.

The replicator zombie ex-CIA IOA guy. Sorry, but no. That was a terrible idea. Firstly, this guy was meant to be ex-CIA black ops and yet when he's locked up after creating the replicators, the first sound of them crawling through the walls is enough to make him run to the door screaming in terror? That doesn't fit the character at all. Secondly, the fight scene he/it had with Mitchell was awful. "Kill me now?" If O'neill were around he'd probably be like "Now that's a cliché".

Also, since when can you imbed a microchip into a crystal? That was horribly inconsistent prop design that goes against canon imo.

Let's also not forget about the replicator. It's contained by a force field, so the obvious way to get rid of it is to try the ARG. Actually no, that was obviously a bad idea. It should've been beamed into the centre of the nearest star. The entire concept of having replicator zombie ex-CIA IOA guy try to release replicators in the Ori galaxy was silly and poorly thought out.

I for one think the entire movie was full of filler because they had no idea what to do. Most screen time was spent dealing with the replicators than the actual main plot, which says a lot. If they couldn't even manage to fill less than 2h with Ori-centric plot, then I'm glad they never got the chance to make another season as it would surely have been even worse.

I agree enirely.
Don't waste your money buying the movie.
It looked to me like an extended episode - a poor one at that.
It was obviously done on the cheap, I saw props from Last Man in there... and how many times are they going to use that medieval stone built village set?
All I could think of was, I wish it was an Atlantis movie.

But worst of all, I think, was the amateur feel of it... remember Serenity? Such a great movie, and very much a big screen affair.

I'm afraid SG1 is over for me and they went out with a whimper not a bang....

jrd231
March 12th, 2008, 04:41 AM
I was so excited to see this movie and stayed away from all spoilers the best I could and then I felt really disappointed when it was over.

There was absolutely NO need to involve the Replicators. If they were going to involve them, they could have at least used human form replicators which had speaking parts. Instead they brought back the bug form ones for on good reason. For a movie that was supposed to be about the Ori, it sure seemed like it was about the replicators considering Mitchel and Carter spent the entire movie fighting the replicators instead of the Ori. Neither of them were even involved in defeating the Ori. I guess the writer's thought everybody would be shocked and excited to see the replicators again. They were wrong.

As far as defeating the Doci, Priors, and followers, it was lame. They simply re-hashed the way they defeated the replicators. Remember the Dakara Super weapon? They dialed all the gates, used one super weapon and wiped out all the replicators at once.

This time they opened the Ark of Truth (instead of the Dakara Super weapon), pointed it at the Doci (instead of a stargate) and it wiped out the threat of the Ori fleet (instead of the replicators) at one time. Then they repeated this in the Milky Way galaxy.

Mister Oragahn
March 12th, 2008, 04:54 AM
Yes that was just precious wasn't it. They've got one massive dues ex machina plot device (the ark itself) linking into another one (the idea of the ark effect passing through staffs) and they're so devoid of talent that even with both of them there's still plot holes in the resolution.

I think the purple crystal on the Doci's chest is his personnal communicator. Or the whole city is a massive beacon, and the Doci is connected to the city.

Doesn't mean the resolution is stellar though. It still sucks big times.

Mister Oragahn
March 12th, 2008, 05:01 AM

This is precisely what I thought as well. That's quite the most positive aspect of the film: ending the pain fast.
I couldn't have standed one full season of such pointless stories, flooded with even more pointless filler, just to get to the same conclusion.

Time travel episode. It can swing both ways. Considering the writing talent these days, I wouldn't put my standards too high if I were you.
You, of course, are to expect a big reset at the end.

Yes, another one. Looks like it's a fundamental law of physics in Stargate.

Weapons To Maximum
March 12th, 2008, 05:29 AM
RIP OFF

I keep getting the feeling they just rewrote the Season 8 two parter "Reckoning." Searching for the Ancient Weapon on Dakara/ Searching for the Ark on Ortis Mallum or whatever. All while the replicators and evil threat number 2 are bearing down. And just like they found and with Baals help activated the Device on Dakara and it went through all the stargates to kill every replicator all at once. With Tomin's help they found and activated the Ark's big ole bright light and transferred to every prior through every staff all at once to stop them.

And the whole Adria / Morgan thing was very reminicant of Anubis / Oma de sala in another Season 8 episode "threads" where she decides to engage him in combat for eternity to stop him.

There were way too many "implied"s in this movie.

And I also love how the ANCIENTS, The Gatebuilders, the ones who seeded all life in 2 galaxies, builders of Atlantis...Were a small group of pansies living in Mideviel Squalor on a tiny clearing on the side of a snow-covered mountain at gasping for air altitudes. How Glorious. And how did they Get the spaceship in the Mountain.

-Still bothered by Wouned Teal'c crossing the Swiss Alps in under an hour.

-Could they have at least not used the Same Exact Prior they killed off in the beginning on Dakara for the one controlling the ship fighting Odyssey. He's like one of the main ones. Why not put a second string Prior there or something so it isn't a continuity issue.

fuchsia
March 12th, 2008, 06:23 AM
As my daughter would say,
"That movie was so random..."
(Don't know what it really means but it just sounds apt)

jasminaGo
March 12th, 2008, 06:49 AM
When you see the name Stargate SG1 - The Ark of Truth, you expect to see SG1 (yes I mean all of them) trying to find The Ark, not Mitchell figthing against bad Terminator rip off, and surviving without lasting damage.

There was a debate here about Adria and weather or she should've seen what Daniel was trying to do. From what I saw in Dominion
Adria walking into the tavern and disarming everyone and dealing with people there without even looking at them, and at the end before she ascended, she knew what people were doing in the other part of the ship FCOL
the end of TAOT was just like several ppl here put it so eloquently LAZY WRITING (to be fair so was most of the story, so I really shouldn't have expected much)

Teal'c crossing mountaines in the blink of an eye. I mean I know he's good but not that good. How did he even know which way to go?

Adria/Morgan scene was Oma/Anubis all over again with few more added effects.

I would rather see "Unending" over and over again, cause it had more action and made more sence to me, than this excuse for a story-arc finale.

Hypochondriac
March 12th, 2008, 08:05 AM
I'm trying to figure out where the 7 million dollars went. When they sent the sangral through everyone complained about not seeing it go off and the effect it had on the Ori. They made the same mistake again.

I was hoping they would flash back to the sangral going off.

Mandysg1
March 12th, 2008, 08:07 AM
What I find funny about this movie, is reviews say they are paying 'homage' to other movies...Um, can you say, its more like ripping off other movies :mckay:

This was nothing more than a poor cross between Indiana Jackson and the Caminator. At least the original movies were good, and well written, this movie had as others have said Lazy Writing not an original idea in there. To be honest I didn't expect much, so I at least I wasn't diappointed, we just got a continuation of s9 and 10 which I didn't like either.

g.o.d
March 12th, 2008, 08:20 AM
To be honest I didn't expect much, so I at least I wasn't diappointed, we just got a continuation of s9 and 10 which I didn't like either.

at least you didn't like the Ori story line. It's worse for me, because I liked S9 and S10. To be honest these two seasons were the best and I really enjoyed them more than the "old" SG-1 (S1 -> S8). I had high expectations for AoT but it turned into a lame movie full of plot-holes :S

jenks
March 12th, 2008, 08:25 AM
I'm trying to figure out where the 7 million dollars went. When they sent the sangral through everyone complained about not seeing it go off and the effect it had on the Ori. They made the same mistake again.

I was hoping they would flash back to the sangral going off.

What makes you think the Sangraal being activated is something you can 'see' anyway?

Hypochondriac
March 12th, 2008, 08:34 AM
What makes you think the Sangraal being activated is something you can 'see' anyway?

Why couldn't we? At the least show us what happened after it went off. The reaction of the Orici and other Priors to their Gods disappearing. Why the Ori didn't destroy it the nanosecond it appeared in their galaxy, stuff like that

ColCaldwell
March 12th, 2008, 08:34 AM
When I write bad about this movie, don't think of me as some SG-1 hater. I have been an avid SG-1 fan since day one. I liked all of the seasons, esp seasons 9 and 10, except Vala but that is for another thread.

When I was first going to watch this movie, I had the BIGGEST expectations for the movie. The Ori being ascended beings, the Asgard Core installed in Unending, the question whether the Sangraal did its job in Season 10. After I watched, I literally said "What the f*** was that?!"

I mean the budget was $7 million...and where did it all go? A lot of the sets were re-used from the show, someone mentioned the stone village from the Last Man. The SFX were subpar, there was no big names eating the budget. The writing was really, really bad. The replicators had NO place to be in this movie. The fight with Adria was rehashed from Anubis and Oma. There was no point in watching the Replicator terminator fight, no reason to be there. I would have like to see a REAL fight with earth vs Ori, or even a fight using the Oddyssey, but nope, we just watched it for ten min idly sit by and get hit (Camelot anyone?). The whole beginning bothered me with the Ancients, that is NO form of ancient whatsoever. Like someone said, the whole Ark of Truth was a rehashed Dakaara superweapon.

All in all, -10 out of 10. This movie was beyond pathetic.

jenks
March 12th, 2008, 08:42 AM
Why couldn't we? At the least show us what happened after it went off. The reaction of the Orici and other Priors to their Gods disappearing. Why the Ori didn't destroy it the nanosecond it appeared in their galaxy, stuff like that

Well why would we be able to? It's not like the Ori generally inhabit our space time or anything. And as for the priors and the Doci, they never knew the Ori were dead, they still worshiped them, they just took the fire's of Celestis going out to be a sign that the Ori were not pleased with the progress of their crusade.

Hypochondriac
March 12th, 2008, 08:51 AM
Well why would we be able to? It's not like the Ori generally inhabit our space time or anything. And as for the priors and the Doci, they never knew the Ori were dead, they still worshiped them, they just took the fire's of Celestis going out to be a sign that the Ori were not pleased with the progress of their crusade.

Well then we shouldn't have seen the fight at the end of the movie, but we do So the sangral would do the same thing. Allow us to observe something we would normally not see.

I would be interested in what other possibilities came to mind.

g.o.d
March 12th, 2008, 09:16 AM

or why don'T make something different? Scene where Doci is praying near the flames of enlightment and the whole room (remeber Origin) is overwhelmed by a white light and flames are gone.

for God'S sake, I can devise many scenes like this. I wonder why RCC didn't do something similar. It's not so hard.

It could have been grand and epic. No, it was only this : "Vala, the Ori are dead". How original and elaborate

J_schinderlin56
March 12th, 2008, 09:21 AM
The only thing that buged me about the move was the reuse of the stock shots of the Oddy leaving earth Orbit and in Hyperspace. Come on guys, it's a movie we've seen these stock shots so many times. We're paying for this one. Give us a little more.

As for the Replicators, that didn't bother me at all. In fact it makes sense to me. I've always thought it might be fun to unleash the Replicators on the Ori Toliet ships.

Though I do have one more issue. Major Marks keeps calling them Ori Mother Ships. I think it would have been a great nod to the fans if he had said "Sir, I'm detecting 4 Ori Toliet ships droping out of Hyperspace."

partly cloudy skies
March 12th, 2008, 10:45 AM
at least you didn't like the Ori story line. It's worse for me, because I liked S9 and S10. To be honest these two seasons were the best and I really enjoyed them more than the "old" SG-1 (S1 -> S8). I had high expectations for AoT but it turned into a lame movie full of plot-holes :S

I'm with you. I liked seasons 9 and 10 better than some of the middle seasons, and I thought they 'homaged' too much in AoT and retread the same stuff they'd done in earlier seasons. With so much potential and speculation, we were bound to see something different than what each of us imagined, but I just took it as a mediocre two parter episode.

It makes me even more afraid for Continuum, because I'm already worried it'll be a Mobius rip off. And people keep trying to reassure me that it'll be spectacular because Jack will be there. Well, if it's the Jack of the later seasons, who acts dumb as a brick, dull, and like a Homer Simpson clone, that'd do nothing for me either.

I just can't believe the wasted potential of AoT, though. Some of us actually are more interested in seeing an ascended being fight rather than the same old replicators again.

g.o.d
March 12th, 2008, 10:49 AM
It makes me even more afraid for Continuum, because I'm already worried it'll be a Mobius rip off. And people keep trying to reassure me that it'll be spectacular because Jack will be there. Well, if it's the Jack of the later seasons, who acts dumb as a brick, dull, and like a Homer Simpson clone, that'd do nothing for me either.

I didn't watch SG-1 for JAck. To be honest, I didn't like his "jokes". I watch SG-1 for a stories, etc. I doubt I'll like Continuum, because I don't time-travel episodes presented in SG-1 (there's always big red reset button in the end.

Jackie
March 12th, 2008, 10:57 AM
I loved season 1-8 but hated season 9 and 10.

I haven't seen the movie but I just wanted to point out about the 7 million budget.

AoT had a 7 million dollar budget.

The original Stargate movie had a 35 million dollar budget...that figure is from gateworld source.

The original stargate was over 10 years ago...if that movie were made with todays dollar it would be even higher due to inflation.

7 million dollars is the average "B" movie budget...some of the B movies are even higher.

The first movie had many, many drafts of script writing. (all major movies do)

the DVD movie was drafted in a month.

To MGM, 7 million is pocket change. I can imagine what the movie could have been if they had given them even half of the original movie's budget. 17 million.

Then again with tptb, I would expect 10 million dollars worth of special effects to be added and no substance to the rest.:S

Mandysg1
March 12th, 2008, 11:44 AM
That's the problem, without a good script, special effects can't save anything.

jenks
March 12th, 2008, 03:14 PM
You've never seen Lord Of The Rings I take it?

Chrisisall
March 12th, 2008, 03:19 PM
it shows just how past it the people who write the show are. The movie reeks of the staleness that plagued the latter seasons. It's such a pity that a talented topnotch cast are beholden to a bunch of people who really should have moved on years ago Imma watch it tonight, and I expect to come back and reduce your post to a pile of steaming flotsam with my positive review..unless, like, it sucks or something...:samanime24:

Open-minded Chrisisall

fuchsia
March 12th, 2008, 04:19 PM
You've never seen Lord Of The Rings I take it?
What is you meanin', Jenks?

Mister Oragahn
March 12th, 2008, 04:28 PM

Why do you think the producers and writers would do stuff like that?

jenks
March 12th, 2008, 05:15 PM
What is you meanin', Jenks?

An example of a movie that covered up a rather 'meh' script with lots of eye candy.

chestnu1
March 12th, 2008, 06:03 PM
I rather liked AoT but my only complaint is that there was not a huge space battle in the hole movie. They had for once the budget and a reason to use ancient weapons platform in antartica and they didn't use it. And the oddessy has asgard plasma weapons and they didn't even turn them on. But Except for this I found it an enjoyable movie.

david2708
March 12th, 2008, 07:59 PM
Imma watch it tonight, and I expect to come back and reduce your post to a pile of steaming flotsam with my positive review..unless, like, it sucks or something...:samanime24:

Open-minded Chrisisall
Depends on what sort of Stargate fan/ Gateworld member you are.
There are those who dare to criticize something in stargate and are told by other members that they must therefore hate ALL stargate, and we get the why are you on this site routine.
Another fangroup have every Stargate episode-no matter the quality-with a review rating of 9.7 to begin with. Once watched,the review rating can only go up from there-never down.
Hope you enjoy AOT!

Mitchell82
March 12th, 2008, 09:51 PM
There are those who dare to criticize something in stargate and are told by other members that they must therefore hate ALL stargate, and we get the why are you on this site routine.
Another fangroup have every Stargate episode-no matter the quality-with a review rating of 9.7 to begin with. Once watched,the review rating can only go up from there-never down.
Hope you enjoy AOT!

I like your outlook. I may have disagreements with others opinions on the show or movies but I would never dare to say what they must or should think. I hate when people do that.

david2708
March 13th, 2008, 12:04 AM
In the end, why was it any surprise the movie was a pretty humdrum affair-at least for those in this thread.
The same tired old lot who gave us the latter years(not the actors) gave us the film.
Like suddenly they were suppose to find a creative spark after it had well and truley gone-probably around year 5 of the show?

And now, who really believes Continuum will be any different?

Petra
March 13th, 2008, 05:23 AM
In the end, why was it any surprise the movie was a pretty humdrum affair-at least for those in this thread.
The same tired old lot who gave us the latter years(not the actors) gave us the film.
Like suddenly they were suppose to find a creative spark after it had well and truley gone-probably around year 5 of the show?

Err..actually I do. :P Or at least I hope ;), simply because B. Wright wrote it and he's my favourite writer. Plus I kind of like time-travel stories, they are pure fun.
I guess it's easier for me, 'cos I hated seasons 9-10 and didn't have any high hopes for the AoT. I watched it, because I still watch everything to do with SG-1 - force of habit, I guess. ;) Still, it managed to disappoint me despite my non-existent expectations..well done, RCC.
I agree with most what you guys have said, so I won't repeat it. I must say however, that I liked those mountain shots in the beginning and with Teal'c - at least till my friends, who were watching with me, started to shout: "Frodo, Frodo..!" :D
As for the Replicators..and I'll never understand writers' infatuation with them..you'd think Sam or anybody else for that matter would have at least thought to close the door to the room where the Replicator was, before lowering the shield..

jasminaGo
March 13th, 2008, 05:31 AM
Err..actually I do. :P Or at least I hope ;), simply because B. Wright wrote it and he's my favourite writer. Plus I kind of like time-travel stories, they are pure fun.
I guess it's easier for me, 'cos I hated seasons 9-10 and didn't have any high hopes for the AoT. I watched it, because I still watch everything to do with SG-1 - force of habit, I guess. ;) Still, it managed to disappoint me despite my non-existent expectations..well done, RCC.
I agree with most what you guys have said, so I won't repeat it. I must say however, that I liked those mountain shots in the beginning and with Teal'c - at least till my friends, who were watching with me, started to shout: "Frodo, Frodo..!" :D
As for the Replicators..and I'll never understand writers' infatuation with them..you'd think Sam or anybody else for that matter would have at least thought to close the door to the room where the Replicator was, before lowering the shield..

But if they closed the door then they would have to cut out half of the movie. And then think of something else to do. You can't expect them to do that. :rolleyes:

silly sally
March 13th, 2008, 05:32 AM

'Close the door' you're so right with this one! LMAO

TheShipper
March 13th, 2008, 10:36 AM
Overall I am slightly disappointed with the movie! They could have done alot better. There were a few things that got to me. Sorry if these have been said already. I just watched it last night and haven’t read all the posts.
*It was cool seeing the replicators again. The general idea made sense. The replicators might have destroyed the Ori, but they took too much focus away from the already weak Ori plot
*The replicator taking over the IOA guy (forget his name) was too much. And I’m pretty sure the replicator would have just killed Cam outright instead of toying with him.
*And this really got to me, the replicators took over the Odyssey (pretty much), so why would they bring it out of hyperspace, then just sit there and let the Ori constantly fire on them. That was just stupid!
*I also thought the Odyssey took a heck of a lot of Ori fire. In Unending, it took what, maybe half a dozen shots before the shields were depleted. And here it took a ton! And why did the Ori ships take turns firing? Why not fire at the same time, they did with the Korlov.

Chrisisall
March 13th, 2008, 12:06 PM
Depends on what sort of Stargate fan/ Gateworld member you are. Really new, and really only in it for SGA, so my expectations for AoT were sort of non-existent. Some of it was 'meh', some of it was grand- it held my attention. Claudia was GREAT & it was nice seeing Morena (Big Firefly geek here). To compare, I think it was way better than BSG's Razor, and about as good as Farscape's final movie.
But, I may be being kind as I'm not familiar with SG1's history.

Another fangroup have every Stargate episode-no matter the quality-with a review rating of 9.7 to begin with. Once watched,the review rating can only go up from there-never down. Colour me somewhere in the middle;).

Hope you enjoy AOT!Thanks! I pretty much did!

But give me Shep any dayisall

kymeric
March 13th, 2008, 12:37 PM
Hope you enjoy AOT!

Its true. Plus you can use the ignore function to filter out excessively negative posts, or positive for that matter. Really if you find ureself getting worked up more than once by a particular poster just click the button. Everyone should have a positive forum experience!

Mitchell82
March 13th, 2008, 01:02 PM

Well I loved the last two seasons so I guess that's why I wasn't disappointed in AoT and why I know Continuum will also be good.

HotOne
March 14th, 2008, 12:31 PM
Like most of the people in this thread I was extremely disappointed with AOT. I actually like a lot of seasons 9 and 10 - ok a lot may be an exaggeration - but I liked the general Ori story Arc. This movie however was piss poor. I agree with most of the reasons previously stated. I actually liked the replicator idea but it had no real place in this movie. Perhaps another movie would have been better.

I know some people have been trying to prove the point that they were trying to avoid more needless death but come on, it is Stargate! There is supposed to be action. They are supposed to use the Asgard weapons and have another major battle. Look at Atlantis' BAMSR, that was a great episode.

I didn't really think there were "too many mountain scenes" or anything. I didn't like much of the stuff where Ancients could be seen. Those parts just seemed like "magic" and for lack of a better word stupid. Ancients believe in non-interference. I can't see them letting one being disregard that for this purpose. Either they continue that belief or the better plot device like someone already said would be to actually have the Ancients as a whole decide they need to take on Adria. Adria fighting Morgan Le Fay was dumb as well.

What happened to the seven Ori ships in our solar system? How long were they actually there? It seemed like a long time to not do anything, especially with that number of ships.

The movie was too short but I don't think I could have bared to watch it if it just continued the same horrible story. There didn't seem to be any real quest or mythology behind the Ark. And you're telling me the Ori never knew about this thing right in front of their noses? Come on!

I am curious if anyone else noticed the scene in Landry's office near the beginning of the movie. What was with the shaky camera work? $7 million? Wow. In addition my DVD kept skipping which means I will have to actually talk to someone to get my horrible movie replaced.

Finally, why would anybody think that showing the Priors the truth would stop a battle or war? The Priors still have their powers and all of their troops have those ships and their weapons at their disposal. You're telling me that tens of thousands if not more suddenly stopped believing because the Priors said so? They refused to fight and just turned back peacefully? Even if they did stop believing in Origin someone would have wanted to fight.

This was so disappointing for me. I just hope it doesn't kill what little life the franchise had left. I am crossing my fingers that it can still be revived in Continuum and thereafter.

HotOne
March 14th, 2008, 12:59 PM
And I also wanted to say to those of you who viewed the movie online before it came out you still should buy it whether or not you liked it. People illegally watching Stargate and not paying for it is a big part of what led to the decline in ratings. The actors and crew (aside from some of the writers obviously) deserve it.

JohnDuh
March 14th, 2008, 02:30 PM

No - dendrites in the brain does - and if they don't have a flesh brain just energy they should be equally intelligent.

Of course ultimately what makes you intelligent is a good writer ;)

JohnDuh
March 14th, 2008, 02:36 PM
yes, this is the ultimate answer. She was always distracted:)

And distracting ;)

JohnDuh
March 14th, 2008, 03:07 PM

"we're going to also explore in the movie, is that the Ancients have always had this non-interference policy"

The beginning, where the ancients say that its wrong to force people to believe in something even when its not based on science.

JohnDuh
March 14th, 2008, 03:29 PM
Oh, and I forgot to mention the BIGGEST PLOT HOLE OF THE MOVIE AND OF ANY ALL TIME FOR ANY MOVIE THAT I CAN THINK OF -- how could Tomin be utilized as a spy to help SG-1 seek out secret hidden rebels for help when he was a high ranking officer of the Ori as far as the rebels would know?

He wasn't a "high rankin officer" he was just another killer among many.

david2708
March 14th, 2008, 03:58 PM
Like most of the people in this thread I was extremely disappointed with AOT. I actually like a lot of seasons 9 and 10 - ok a lot may be an exaggeration - but I liked the general Ori story Arc. This movie however was piss poor. I agree with most of the reasons previously stated. I actually liked the replicator idea but it had no real place in this movie. Perhaps another movie would have been better.

I know some people have been trying to prove the point that they were trying to avoid more needless death but come on, it is Stargate! There is supposed to be action. They are supposed to use the Asgard weapons and have another major battle. Look at Atlantis' BAMSR, that was a great episode.

I didn't really think there were "too many mountain scenes" or anything. I didn't like much of the stuff where Ancients could be seen. Those parts just seemed like "magic" and for lack of a better word stupid. Ancients believe in non-interference. I can't see them letting one being disregard that for this purpose. Either they continue that belief or the better plot device like someone already said would be to actually have the Ancients as a whole decide they need to take on Adria. Adria fighting Morgan Le Fay was dumb as well.

What happened to the seven Ori ships in our solar system? How long were they actually there? It seemed like a long time to not do anything, especially with that number of ships.

The movie was too short but I don't think I could have bared to watch it if it just continued the same horrible story. There didn't seem to be any real quest or mythology behind the Ark. And you're telling me the Ori never knew about this thing right in front of their noses? Come on!

I am curious if anyone else noticed the scene in Landry's office near the beginning of the movie. What was with the shaky camera work? $7 million? Wow. In addition my DVD kept skipping which means I will have to actually talk to someone to get my horrible movie replaced.

Finally, why would anybody think that showing the Priors the truth would stop a battle or war? The Priors still have their powers and all of their troops have those ships and their weapons at their disposal. You're telling me that tens of thousands if not more suddenly stopped believing because the Priors said so? They refused to fight and just turned back peacefully? Even if they did stop believing in Origin someone would have wanted to fight.

This was so disappointing for me. I just hope it doesn't kill what little life the franchise had left. I am crossing my fingers that it can still be revived in Continuum and thereafter.
i noticed the wobbly camera stuff as well. Have they not heard of a steadycam? Perhaps it was an artistic choice best lost on most of us?

JohnDuh
March 14th, 2008, 04:58 PM
I'm trying to figure out where the 7 million dollars went.

Brad needs a new car ;)

JohnDuh
March 14th, 2008, 05:00 PM

Its in another dimension - not something we could perceived. And none of the followers would have any idea it has happened. Only the Doci would wonder why the Ori never responded to him anymore. The rest would just assume they were not worthy anymore and go on believing in their supernatural being of choice :)

jyh
March 14th, 2008, 07:17 PM
Nope, not disappointed.

It wasn't perfect, but it was certainly interesting and action-packed.

Pretty darn entertaining, if you ask me.

Acolyte Of Bli'l'ab
March 14th, 2008, 07:37 PM
I'm glad im not alone in being dissapointed with this movie...perhaps my expectations were too high ? Anyhow here is my OPINION on the film (you dont have to agree with any of it, as I dont claim to be any kind of 'expert' or 'knowitall', just someone who knows what they likes/doesnt like, just like anyone else)

Anyhow, I loved seasons 9 and 10 unlike alot of people. I'm not a "hardcore" fan like many either, but I enjoy quite alot of SG and Atlantis and find it to be at least above average to pretty damn good for the most part, the Ori plotline appealed to me alot..but then we come to this.

I dont know, I expected a better story and I expected something more "Epic-scale".. I was hoping for at least some kind of battle on par with the antarctica battle in season7, but not even anything like that.. I was hoping for things like a prior giving a speech to a huge legion of Ori Soldiers...yeah that kinda thing can be done on TV now (Buffy/DrWho ect) and this WAS suppose to have a higher budget. Replicators...been-there/done-that felt totally pointless now, leave the replicators in the past please (I like em but TOO MUCH of the same thing!). Adria felt so 1-dimensional/pantomine villain style I thought I was watching a new-series dr who episode which is the last thing id want to see in Stargate. Infact the tacky pandoras box of truth reminded me of some of the "reset button" endings in newer dr who as well, and I thought the Stargate writers were much better than that ?. Truly dissapointed but I guess you cant please everyone.

I'll hope the next one is better...I really dont like being critical of SG cos its one of my fave series..but unfortuantly this is one that I really had to vent about...

Mitchell82
March 15th, 2008, 11:49 AM
And I also wanted to say to those of you who viewed the movie online before it came out you still should buy it whether or not you liked it. People illegally watching Stargate and not paying for it is a big part of what led to the decline in ratings. The actors and crew (aside from some of the writers obviously) deserve it.
I'm one of the people that did see the leaked version and still bought it however the illegal downloading did not have a huge impact on the ratings.

Mitchell82
March 15th, 2008, 11:54 AM
I'm glad im not alone in being dissapointed with this movie...perhaps my expectations were too high ? Anyhow here is my OPINION on the film (you dont have to agree with any of it, as I dont claim to be any kind of 'expert' or 'knowitall', just someone who knows what they likes/doesnt like, just like anyone else)
If we all had the same opinions this would be a very boring place.;)

Anyhow, I loved seasons 9 and 10 unlike alot of people. I'm not a "hardcore" fan like many either, but I enjoy quite alot of SG and Atlantis and find it to be at least above average to pretty damn good for the most part, the Ori plotline appealed to me alot..but then we come to this.
I would probably be considered a hardcore fan since I've been with the show for it's entire run and I too liked seasons 9 and 10.

I dont know, I expected a better story and I expected something more "Epic-scale".. I was hoping for at least some kind of battle on par with the antarctica battle in season7, but not even anything like that.. I was hoping for things like a prior giving a speech to a huge legion of Ori Soldiers...yeah that kinda thing can be done on TV now (Buffy/DrWho ect) and this WAS suppose to have a higher budget. Replicators...been-there/done-that felt totally pointless now, leave the replicators in the past please (I like em but TOO MUCH of the same thing!). Adria felt so 1-dimensional/pantomine villain style I thought I was watching a new-series dr who episode which is the last thing id want to see in Stargate. Infact the tacky pandoras box of truth reminded me of some of the "reset button" endings in newer dr who as well, and I thought the Stargate writers were much better than that ?. Truly disappointed but I guess you cant please everyone.
hmm I think the Replicators was a very interesting touch and I was expecting a grand story from RCC and he defiantly did not disapoint me.

I'll hope the next one is better...I really dont like being critical of SG cos its one of my fave series..but unfortuantly this is one that I really had to vent about...
I do respect your view I just disagree. Hopefully you'll like the next one better.

g.o.d
March 15th, 2008, 01:37 PM
I do respect your view I just disagree. Hopefully you'll like the next one better.

I'm 99% sure I won't like Continuum. I don't like time travel episodes

bniblett
March 15th, 2008, 02:09 PM
while i wasn't as disipointed as most in this thread, there was one thing that had me thinking.

didn't little orlin say in that one ep that the priors life became an open book to him once he entered that galaxy? Wouldn't that mean, logically, as soon as the oddy went through the super gate adria would know they were in the galaxy?

Mitchell82
March 15th, 2008, 02:11 PM
I'm 99% sure I won't like Continuum. I don't like time travel episodes

None of them?

Mitchell82
March 15th, 2008, 02:11 PM
while i wasn't as disipointed as most in this thread, there was one thing that had me thinking.

didn't little orlin say in that one ep that the priors life became an open book to him once he entered that galaxy? Wouldn't that mean, logically, as soon as the oddy went through the super gate adria would know they were in the galaxy?

hmm I didn't think about that. It's possible.

g.o.d
March 15th, 2008, 02:15 PM
None of them?

I like some of them (Before I sleep was great episode)

Mitchell82
March 15th, 2008, 02:17 PM
I like some of them (Before I sleep was great episode)

Maybe you'll give Continuum a chance then?

g.o.d
March 15th, 2008, 02:21 PM
Maybe you'll give Continuum a chance then?

I can only hope it will be better than AoT. But I have never been a big fan of Baal and story about him

Mitchell82
March 15th, 2008, 02:24 PM
I can only hope it will be better than AoT. But I have never been a big fan of Baal and story about him
Well AoT was great IMO so I'm hopeful it will be great as well.Brad usually does a good job so I'm not worried.

g.o.d
March 15th, 2008, 02:27 PM
Brad usually does a good job so I'm not worried.

I though the same thing about RCC, but after AoT I've changed my mind

FoolishPleasure
March 15th, 2008, 02:46 PM
I was one of the minority that actually enjoyed seasons 9 and 10, and I really wanted to love this movie. However, I ended up "liking" it. It seems like a bunch of old SG1 scripts hacked up, rearranged, and sewn back together. It that Oma fighting Adria? Oh wait, its Morgan and Anubis! Ugh.

Replicators have been done to death, and I was disappointed in this part. It was stupid to lower the containment field around the first Replicator without safeguards, but Sam has been dumbed down ever since she went to Atlantis, so it didn't surprise me. I love Cam, but that beating scene was WAY overdone and took up way too much time. Didn't care for the hospital Sam/Cam scene either, and I'm not even a Sam/Jack shipper!

I wanted to see Adria MEAN. Really MEAN. She still seems like a little girl lost/spoiled brat, not a villainess of the universe, and there was far too little of Julian Sands.

The worst was not getting Walter to dial the gate. Where was, "Chevron 7 locked"?

I miss the good old days.

atlantis_babe34
March 15th, 2008, 04:12 PM
I Just finished watching it and i was a little dissipointed. I figured i worked myself up over and over and over for it so my expectation of it was a little high. Over all i think the movie was a bit corney actually lol. it felt to me like an episdoe, which if that was the intention fitted inwith my well. I also thoguht the endeding was a little to easy.

overall i enjoyed it cus its Stargate and we got Major Cam whump, but i do hope continum is better.

Mitchell82
March 15th, 2008, 05:32 PM
I though the same thing about RCC, but after AoT I've changed my mind

Sorry to hear that as it just reinforced my faith in him.

RamonaThePest
March 15th, 2008, 06:17 PM
I'm not a big special effects fan and I really hate the whole SLLLOOWWW beam shooting at spaceships in space. I'm sure there's a good scientific reason why beams/lasers/whatever shot in space would be so slow and the ships would maneuver out of the way so slowly also. So I didn't really care about the lack of special affects -- I love character driven stories. But that said, Adria circling Vala over and over -- what was up with that? And if you watch the special features on the dvd and see her without the flames, it's really comical. The circling was okay, it was just done so poorly! She circled so consistently, that Vala knew exactly where to look for her each time she would appear. lol Maybe I'm remembering this wrong but it just seems it could have been better.

Acolyte Of Bli'l'ab
March 15th, 2008, 10:07 PM
If we all had the same opinions this would be a very boring place.;)

I agree, but I often have trouble "typing" my thoughts, and sometimes I apparently come across as incitefull or aggressive. I dont mean to come across that way so I think it best to state my intentions like that, so people know I am not trying to be incitefull/aggressive but simply giving my humble opinion.

Way I see it, if someone enjoys something I cant get enjoyment from, then more power to them! :)

Chrisisall
March 16th, 2008, 12:46 PM
(Buffy/DrWho ect) It's ETc, an abbreviation for ETCETERA. Peeps that write ect or say 'ekcetera' on a SCIENCE FICTION board supposedly populated with intelligent beings irritates the felgercarb outta me.

Sorry, continueisall

Mitchell82
March 16th, 2008, 12:49 PM
I agree, but I often have trouble "typing" my thoughts, and sometimes I apparently come across as incitefull or aggressive. I dont mean to come across that way so I think it best to state my intentions like that, so people know I am not trying to be incitefull/aggressive but simply giving my humble opinion.

Way I see it, if someone enjoys something I cant get enjoyment from, then more power to them! :)
Very well put. Now you're someone I disagree with that I don't mind talking to.;)

Buck32
March 16th, 2008, 02:01 PM
One is they DON'T know how to write for film as they claimed they would be doing with this one. Writing for film is NOT just a pointless long pan of mountains etc intermixed with talking heads.
Secondly it shows just how past it the people who write the show are. The movie reeks of the staleness that plagued the latter seasons. It's such a pity that a talented topnotch cast are beholden to a bunch of people who really should have moved on years ago and let other creative minds come in and rejuvinate the show.
AOT is strictly for the fans-the fans who don't criticize anything in the Stargate universe where everything is always 'amazing'. Certainly no-one new will be attracted to the franchise.
Having seen the leaked versions, I won't be buying the DVD till some latter time when it's cheaper-if only for the cast's sake.

I'm with you mate, this so called "movie" was a second rate two parter at best, living in Australia i had the dvd shipped from the U.S at a high price when you factor in shipping etc. I wish i hadn't, i could have just downloaded it or waited till it came out here, and still i might have felt ripped off!!!

i won't be making the same mistake with Continuum beleive me!!! TPTB have demonstrated with AOT and season 4 of SGA that they have nothing left in the tank, both of these products were as stale as year old bread!!!

cbanks
March 16th, 2008, 07:13 PM

I think expectations are getting a bit out of hand. I think the average Stargate SG-1 episode was in the ballpark of $2 million and took 7 days to shoot. So they stretch The Ark of Truth to $7 million and 18 days and we expect exactly what? That gives them maybe $3 million and 4 days extra over producing 2 typical episodes.

I listened to some of the commentary and it's obvious they didn't have a lot extra to put into production. They upgraded the sound track. They shot in 35 mm to give it more of a film-like appearance (note they couldn't afford the high-end digital camera equipment used by Hollywood features). They had a little extra time to polish up some scenes.

In the end, it's still a direct-to-video movie. In that light, it's one of the better direct-to-video movies I've seen. It's easily as good, if not a bit better, production wise than any Stargate SG-1 episode.

Obviously, the series struggled the last couple of years for a myriad of reasons. Cast changes. Production company changes. Whatever. The Ark of Truth inherits some of these problems. And, yes, the current creative team is part of this equation.

Still considering everything, even the fact that I think the whole Ori plot idea is lazy and a bit lame, I believe they did a pretty decent job of wrapping it up.

The Ark of Truth artifact is a clever idea. Tomin, a character I previously didn't think much of, really developed in the movie. The scene with Teal'c helping him live with his past sins was one of the best in the annals of Stargate SG-1. Gratefully, they toned down Vala. The idea of Adria becoming a super-Ori was fun, if too short-lived. The opening scene with SG-1 was very good.

Where I feel it sags is in the replicator subplot. How many times do we have to watch them shoot up the bugs and watch them crumble into so much Legos?

According to the commentary, that's pretty much the case. It was not only produced pretty much just for the fans but with the fans who stuck with the series the last couple of years particularly in mind.

Personally, I think it's nice they did. The whole Ori thing needed resolution and, unfortunately, there was no season 11 to accomplish this.

cbanks
March 16th, 2008, 07:34 PM
I dont know, I expected a better story and I expected something more "Epic-scale".. I was hoping for at least some kind of battle on par with the antarctica battle in season7, but not even anything like that.. I was hoping for things like a prior giving a speech to a huge legion of Ori Soldiers...yeah that kinda thing can be done on TV now (Buffy/DrWho ect) and this WAS suppose to have a higher budget.

Actually, I like that idea. The new super-bad flame-like Adria rallying the troops works for me.

Replicators...been-there/done-that felt totally pointless now, leave the replicators in the past please (I like em but TOO MUCH of the same thing!).

I mostly agree here. I think the creators thought the twist of Mallick becoming some sort of replicator zombie fresh enough they'd get away with it. Carter and Cam are largely wasted in The Ark of Truth because they're tied up in this subplot.

Adria felt so 1-dimensional/pantomine villain style I thought I was watching a new-series dr who episode which is the last thing id want to see in Stargate.

I liked where she was going I just wish they'd given her more time to develop.

Infact the tacky pandoras box of truth reminded me of some of the "reset button" endings in newer dr who as well, and I thought the Stargate writers were much better than that ?. Truly dissapointed but I guess you cant please everyone.

This is where I disagree. The Ark of Truth is a clever way, IMHO, to wrap up the Ori dilemma. Rather than being a Pandora's Box, it's pretty much the opposite. Opening the box sets them free by revealing the truth. The truth will set them free theme works for me.

IMHO, the cop-out would be to have a titanic space battle to wipe out the bad guys, beat them with time travel, or have Carter pull some more episode saving scientific mumbo jumbo out of her butt.

SoulReaver
March 17th, 2008, 11:45 AM
It was stupid to lower the containment field around the first Replicator without safeguards, but Sam has been dumbed down ever since she went to Atlantis, so it didn't surprise me.and even stupider yet to lower it without a single P90 around (the only reliable gun against these things)

replicators could've made for an interesting addition to the story, but they remained confined to the Odyssey throughout the movie & in the end they didn't even qualify for a decent subplot (I guess the writers had no choice in this respect, for the spiders would've been owned outright by the priors' TK powers, assuming they even did get onboard the ori ships)

btw. when the guy (can't remember his name) said it was contained by a force shield, Sam said "for now" - how could she know the spider could escape containment ? :tealcanime49: all the more so than we've never seen replicators "breach" a shield, save once against Thor's science vessel but surely the forcefield used in AoT must have been better quality stuff (latest asgard forcefields)

jasminaGo
March 17th, 2008, 12:47 PM
and even stupider yet to lower it without a single P90 around (the only reliable gun against these things)

replicators could've made for an interesting addition to the story, but they remained confined to the Odyssey throughout the movie & in the end they didn't even qualify for a decent subplot (I guess the writers had no choice in this respect, for the spiders would've been owned outright by the priors' TK powers, assuming they even did get onboard the ori ships)

btw. when the guy (can't remember his name) said it was contained by a force shield, Sam said "for now" - how could she know the spider could escape containment ? :tealcanime49: all the more so than we've never seen replicators "breach" a shield, save once against Thor's science vessel but surely the forcefield used in AoT must have been better quality stuff (latest asgard forcefields)

The replicators are very adaptive and adjusted to Ancient tech very quickly in the past, it's safe to assume that Asguard shield (who aren't as advanced as the ancient) won't hold it for long, since it hasn't before. Honestly that line is one of the few things that do make sence to me in this movie.

SoulReaver
March 17th, 2008, 12:49 PM
The replicators are very adaptive and adjusted to Ancient tech very quickly in the past, it's safe to assume that Asguard shield (who aren't as advanced as the ancient) won't hold it for long, since it hasn't before. Honestly that line is one of the few thing that does make sence to me in this movie.nope, they never adapted to ancient tech, in fact it was the only tech they were shown unable to adapt to (the asurans on the other hand could adapt to it, but that's because they possessed at least part of the ancient knowledge)

jasminaGo
March 17th, 2008, 12:59 PM
nope, they never adapted to ancient tech, in fact it was the only tech they were shown unable to adapt to (the asurans on the other hand could adapt to it, but that's because they possessed at least part of the ancient knowledge)

O'Neill created a weapon using the Ancient knowledge in New Order. RepliCarter adapted to it and passed her knowledge to her bug army. After that the replicators were able to constantly adapt to the weapons effects, which is why Carter attacked the entire galaxy at the same time from Dakara.

SoulReaver
March 17th, 2008, 01:07 PM
O'Neill created a weapon using the Ancient knowledge in New Order. RepliCarter adapted to it and passed her knowledge to her bug army. After that the replicators were able to constantly adapt to the weapons effects, which is why Carter attacked the entire galaxy at the same time from Dakara.that's the thing, she did not adapt to it - that was the whole point of Fifth's ploy of having Replicarter trick SG into revealing the specs of the ARG, only once Replicarter had studied (assimilated) the tech was she able to make the necessary adjustments

usually all MW bugs needed was a first few contacts with an unknown weapon then they adapted to it, but that was not the case with the ARG, and that actually made sense because the ARG was of Ancient design (and Ancient tech > MW replicator tech)

remember in New Order when ONeil was taking them out by the hundreds ? (on the surface of Orilla)
no matter how many of them were disintergrated the others were never able to adapt, in the end the surviving bugs had to flee

g.o.d
March 17th, 2008, 01:17 PM
It's quite simple. If they would have used P-90 againts that bug, they would have killed it and Cooper would have been forced to devise another story(or to spread out the Ori part). Lazy writing. That's all.

SGAtlantisP60
March 17th, 2008, 02:32 PM
I kinda liked it but it had alot of flaws like for one it didn't even have any real fighting in it. I think that they sloved the ark mystery really fast. I mean the movie was only a hour. The show is only about 43 minuites..... It was just like a 1 hour and a half show.I didn't like how all the Ori were destroyed but Adradia was still around if she is an ori in human form shouldn't that bomb have atleast hurt her....

SoulReaver
March 17th, 2008, 05:38 PM
also by the time the Odyssey exited hyperspace the spiders had control of the ship, right ? so how come the ship just sat there taking fire from 4 ori ships instead of defending itself ? surely the replicators didn't intend to get pulverized in the middle of nowhere ? :tealcanime49:

Hypochondriac
March 22nd, 2008, 04:19 PM
How does using the AOT on the prior's depower adria enough that morgan has a chance in a fight? Doesn't the power come from the worship of the followers and not the priors

Col.Foley
March 22nd, 2008, 04:29 PM
How does using the AOT on the prior's depower adria enough that morgan has a chance in a fight? Doesn't the power come from the worship of the followers and not the priorsThe proirs could act as converters, and funnels, if not full generators in a sense, taking that power that was given to them by the followers and channeling it back at the Ori/ Adria.

SylvreWolfe
March 22nd, 2008, 04:49 PM
It's quite simple. If they would have used P-90 againts that bug, they would have killed it and Cooper would have been forced to devise another story(or to spread out the Ori part). Lazy writing. That's all.

I concur

Col.Foley
March 22nd, 2008, 05:02 PM
Are you talking about that mamma queen bug thta was making all the new replicators?

SylvreWolfe
March 23rd, 2008, 11:18 AM
Are you talking about that mamma queen bug thta was making all the new replicators?

I think it was in reference to the original one that was made by the Asgard device by diptwerp.

Col.Foley
March 23rd, 2008, 02:42 PM
I think it was in reference to the original one that was made by the Asgard device by diptwerp.
You have a point then.

SylvreWolfe
March 23rd, 2008, 06:36 PM
You have a point then.

Well, that is what I was thinking about when I agreed with him/her. And that is the one I was referring to when I agreed with the comment.

Col.Foley
March 23rd, 2008, 07:18 PM
Well, that is what I was thinking about when I agreed with him/her. And that is the one I was referring to when I agreed with the comment. Alright, I thought you were talking about the queen that Mitchell placed a C-4 outside of at the end before he met Merrick.

SylvreWolfe
March 23rd, 2008, 07:42 PM
Alright, I thought you were talking about the queen that Mitchell placed a C-4 outside of at the end before he met Merrick.

Oh yeah, no P90 on the queen. That one would definitely need the C4. Though, I never have figured out why the badguys don't destroy the detonators or devices instead of just tossing them aside.

Mister Oragahn
March 24th, 2008, 09:44 AM
The proirs could act as converters, and funnels, if not full generators in a sense, taking that power that was given to them by the followers and channeling it back at the Ori/ Adria.

I don't remember seeing the Priors die or staves explode.

The only way to weaken Adria is to erase the faith (http://forum.gateworld.net/showpost.php?p=7862979&postcount=18), aka saying it's BS.

You're not allowed to believe in a nice version of Origin. Origin is just plain bad, don't believe in it.

Apply this to islam for example.

g.o.d
March 25th, 2008, 12:33 AM
Well, that is what I was thinking about when I agreed with him/her. And that is the one I was referring to when I agreed with the comment.

yes, I was talking about the first bug. They could have ended our suffering by killing it in the beginning

travis
March 25th, 2008, 12:48 AM
I have to say I'm very disappointed with the movie as well. Honestly I wouldn't even call it a movie more like an extended episode nothing epic or even movie worthy. I was so hoping to see more about the ancient and Ori conflict but nothing that we really haven't known. Personally I think with this whole big budget thing was really just to pay for the main cast nothing more.
For me the best thing about the " Ark of truth " would have to be Morgan, everything else was just boring.
I beginning to feel that Stargate is becoming stale like startrek it's really loosing it's juice lol.

Angelgrinder
March 25th, 2008, 11:49 AM
It really felt like a two-parter episode and not a movie, and definately not a good two-parter either. Everything except the Replicator problem seemed to go far too smooth, like Adria leaving Vala completely alone in the room with the ark and so on.

david2708
March 25th, 2008, 12:49 PM
I have to say I'm very disappointed with the movie as well. Honestly I wouldn't even call it a movie more like an extended episode nothing epic or even movie worthy. I was so hoping to see more about the ancient and Ori conflict but nothing that we really haven't known. Personally I think with this whole big budget thing was really just to pay for the main cast nothing more.
For me the best thing about the " Ark of truth " would have to be Morgan, everything else was just boring.
I beginning to feel that Stargate is becoming stale like startrek it's really loosing it's juice lol.
Cooper, Malozzi & Co have just become like Berman & Bragga of Trek. Writers/producers who stayed way too long with the franchise and drove it into the ground. AOT reeks of staleness and you see why the initial series met its end.
Honestly, i expect Continuum to be worse than AOT; same writers, same lame story ideas.

silly sally
March 25th, 2008, 12:51 PM
Cooper, Malozzi & Co have just become like Berman & Bragga of Trek. Writers/producers who stayed way too long with the franchise and drove it into the ground. AOT reeks of staleness and you see why the initial series met its end.
Honestly, i expect Continuum to be worse than AOT; same writers, same lame story ideas.

To be fair
1. 'Continuum' is BW's baby :)
2. 'AOT' turned out to be a success profit-wise ;)

Mandysg1
March 25th, 2008, 01:33 PM
The thing about DVD sales, is that it doesn't take into account for how many people bought it thinking 'wow a Stargate movie, I have to get that' and then realized through the movie 'WTF was that?' It's not like you can return a DVD if you don't like it.

However I have seen many slightly used copies on sale at EBay. ;)

david2708
March 25th, 2008, 08:51 PM
The thing about DVD sales, is that it doesn't take into account for how many people bought it thinking 'wow a Stargate movie, I have to get that' and then realized through the movie 'WTF was that?' It's not like you can return a DVD if you don't like it.

However I have seen many slightly used copies on sale at EBay. ;)
Tis why I saw the download versions first and then thought I'll only get it when it's cheap-very, very cheap.
After AOT, I will definately see Continuum in some form before i decide to purchase. I have a feeling, though, it's gonna be a stinker!:cool:

g.o.d
March 26th, 2008, 01:20 AM
Tis why I saw the download versions first and then thought I'll only get it when it's cheap-very, very cheap.
After AOT, I will definately see Continuum in some form before i decide to purchase. I have a feeling, though, it's gonna be a stinker!:cool:

I was decided to buy a DVD long before non-cgi version leaked. I was a big fan of the Ori story-line. Then I saw leaked version and I only said "WTF was that. It's utter rubbish."

and Continuum, I hate stargate time-travel episodes, I didn't like Baal, jaffas, tok'ra, so I doubt I'll buy this movie. I have a same feeling about Continuum as you have:)

silly sally
March 26th, 2008, 03:46 AM
I was decided to buy a DVD long before non-cgi version leaked. I was a big fan of the Ori story-line. Then I saw leaked version and I only said "WTF was that. It's utter rubbish."

and Continuum, I hate stargate time-travel episodes, I didn't like Baal, jaffas, tok'ra, so I doubt I'll buy this movie. I have a same feeling about Continuum as you have:)

You won't buy it, but I'm pretty sure you'll download it :cool:

g.o.d
March 26th, 2008, 05:09 AM
You won't buy it, but I'm pretty sure you'll download it :cool:

yes, and if I'll like it, i'll buy the DVD. I simply don't trust TPTB and their empty promises

silly sally
March 26th, 2008, 06:17 AM
yes, and if I'll like it, i'll buy the DVD. I simply don't trust TPTB and their empty promises

So basically you'll steal and f*** the actors who worked hard! :(

g.o.d
March 26th, 2008, 06:19 AM

again, I don't buy movies I don't like.

silly sally
March 26th, 2008, 06:23 AM
again, I don't buy movies I don't like.

I just don't think it's fair to watch something for free! At least rent it!

g.o.d
March 26th, 2008, 06:29 AM
I just don't think it's fair to watch something for free! At least rent it!

no, it isn't. But I also think it's not fair to promise a huge epic movie and in the end it's an outward stupid movie full of plot-holes. A movie where the main enemy appears only for five minutes and behaves as a moron again

SylvreWolfe
March 26th, 2008, 09:16 AM

Actually, he is screwing the producers. The actors, writers, support crews, etc, get paid regardless of how well the movie sells. And, they get their precious residuals even before the producers break even on what they spent.
So, it is those *evil, nasty* producers that are getting screwed, not the actors.

Briangate78
March 26th, 2008, 09:26 AM
Actually, he is screwing the producers. The actors, writers, support crews, etc, get paid regardless of how well the movie sells. And, they get their precious residuals even before the producers break even on what they spent.
So, it is those *evil, nasty* producers that are getting screwed, not the actors.

Well there are royalties to be made as well. Remember this whole big WGA strike? One of the issues was increasing the amount of money a writer gets per DVD sold. So if someone is illegally downloading the movie, it is technically taking money out of everyone's pocket.

Oh Hi Wolfie! :p

david2708
March 26th, 2008, 12:02 PM
no, it isn't. But I also think it's not fair to promise a huge epic movie and in the end it's an outward stupid movie full of plot-holes. A movie where the main enemy appears only for five minutes and behaves as a moron again

So true. Why should fans reward rubbish. Why delude those evil producers into thinking they've made something great when they haven't?

jenks
March 26th, 2008, 02:00 PM
Why delude yourself that because you don't think something is great, it isn't.

Mandysg1
March 26th, 2008, 03:46 PM
At least with movies in a theatre you can walk out and 'ask' for your money back, giving them an idea of how bad the movie is.

SylvreWolfe
March 26th, 2008, 06:03 PM
Well there are royalties to be made as well. Remember this whole big WGA strike? One of the issues was increasing the amount of money a writer gets per DVD sold. So if someone is illegally downloading the movie, it is technically taking money out of everyone's pocket.

Oh Hi Wolfie! :p

It is residuals, not royalties. And, like I said, they all get paid long before the movie is even sold. All this residual stuff is on top of their salaries. And they get the residuals LONG before the producers even break even, if they break even.
So, the big loser for illegal downloads is the producer. He may, or may not, get any money out of it. The actors, writers, etc, have already been paid.

Oh, Hi Little White Puppy. Like my siggy??

HotOne
March 29th, 2008, 09:22 AM
"I didn't like Baal, jaffas, tok'ra, so I doubt I'll buy this movie."

If you don't like Jaffa or Tok'ra what do you actually like about SG-1? Did you watch the first eight seasons?

And you're stealing no matter how you put it or defend it. It doesn't matter if the producers or writers are ripping us off. If you feel that way don't watch the movie.

Mitchell82
March 29th, 2008, 11:27 AM
At least with movies in a theatre you can walk out and 'ask' for your money back, giving them an idea of how bad the movie is.
It still boils down to just because you think it sucks doesn't mean it does to everyone.

Ladyinred
March 29th, 2008, 11:30 AM
It still boils down to just because you think it sucks doesn't mean it does to everyone.

Exactly. The ANTIs are trying to prove their point at all costs, but they are in the minority. I for one, am not disappointed with the movie at all. LOVE IT VERY MUCH :)

Mitchell82
March 29th, 2008, 11:40 AM
Exactly. The ANTIs are trying to prove their point at all costs, but they are in the minority. I for one, am not disappointed with the movie at all. LOVE IT VERY MUCH :)

Same here.

g.o.d
March 29th, 2008, 11:55 AM
Exactly. The ANTIs are trying to prove their point at all costs, but they are in the minority.
and you do the same thing. Trying to prove the AoT is a great movie at all costs

Mitchell82
March 29th, 2008, 12:19 PM
and you do the same thing. Trying to prove the AoT is a great movie at all costs

It's all a matter of opinion.Those who like it are just as vocal as those who don't.

david2708
March 30th, 2008, 12:25 PM
It's all a matter of opinion.Those who like it are just as vocal as those who don't.

If you express disappointment in a particular Stargate episode or whatever, you'd really should expect an opposite reply along the lines of...well, I actually liked it because blah, blah, blah....
Instead, on Gateworld, at least, alot of the time, you usually get....well, that's YOUR OPINION!! Just because YOU don't like it doesn't mean you SPEAK FOR EVERYONE!!....... If you don't like it, why are you ON THIS BOARD!!!!.....
Don't make a GENERALIZATION!!......You don't know what you're TALKING ABOUT!!!!....... etc....
It's always implied you're wrong.

SylvreWolfe
March 30th, 2008, 12:29 PM
If you express disappointment in a particular Stargate episode or whatever, you'd really should expect an opposite reply along the lines of...well, I actually liked it because blah, blah, blah....
Instead, on Gateworld, at least, alot of the time, you usually get....well, that's YOUR OPINION!! Just because YOU don't like it doesn't mean you SPEAK FOR EVERYONE!!....... If you don't like it, why are you ON THIS BOARD!!!!.....
Don't make a GENERALIZATION!!......You don't know what you're TALKING ABOUT!!!!....... etc....
It's always implied you're wrong.

AMEN!!
Or, just because someone else doesn't think something is important then neither should you.....

prion
March 30th, 2008, 12:40 PM
Think folks are making a mountain out of a molehill. You are ALWAYS going to have diehard fans on one extreme - it's the best thing since Cheese Whiz! or it sucks! - and then there are the res tof us in between who watched it and don't live for it ;)

Let's discuss why we're disappointed with the films, not other fans.

My biggest disappointment was, well, it wasn't so much a movie as just a longer episode. Think there was just too much hype for it.

Ladyinred
March 30th, 2008, 12:40 PM

Exactly. And I can't see any reason why I shouldn't be vocal about truly enjoying the movie :)

jasminaGo
March 30th, 2008, 02:14 PM
Exactly. And I can't see any reason why I shouldn't be vocal about truly enjoying the movie :)

You should be. But not on the Disappointed with the Arc of Truth thread. There is a reason why it's called that.

SylvreWolfe
March 30th, 2008, 04:11 PM
You should be. But not on the Disappointed with the Arc of Truth thread. There is a reason why it's called that.

Ah but, the thread title is phrased as a question, asking if you were disappointed. It wasn't titled to be specific to only those who were disappointed.

david2708
March 31st, 2008, 12:28 AM
i think it's absolutely fine for people who liked the movie to post their positive thoughts.
It's just that I always see the negative responses to Stargate criticized ALOT for them not liking a particular episode or film of the franchise.
Rarely do I see those negative to the film or series berate those that had a positive reaction with stuff like...You must be a COMPLETE FOOL!! to like such a PIECE OF RUBBISH!!!...etc.
For what it's worth, I just thought the film was like an average midseason two part episode-nothing more.
Given that i thought the writers of Gate were well and truely past it after season 5, it's not suprising.
Ah, the showtime years. The golden age!

jasminaGo
March 31st, 2008, 02:36 AM
Ah but, the thread title is phrased as a question, asking if you were disappointed. It wasn't titled to be specific to only those who were disappointed.

The way I see it, it's "Disappointed in the AoT? Come on in and let it all out". If it was open for "like-don't like" discussion, what's the point of this thread? We can just talk in the General discussion one. And if they were the same, the mods would have probablly merged the two threads by now.

Prior_of_the_Ori
March 31st, 2008, 03:35 AM
I don't remember seeing the Priors die or staves explode.

The only way to weaken Adria is to erase the faith (http://forum.gateworld.net/showpost.php?p=7862979&postcount=18), aka saying it's BS.

You're not allowed to believe in a nice version of Origin. Origin is just plain bad, don't believe in it.

Apply this to islam for example.

Uhm no?

Essentially, the Ori followers lost faith in the Ori themselves through the conversion of the Priors who in turn may have converted the other Humans of the Ori galaxy through the flash of light on their staffs. That would have weakened Adria quite a bit to the point that Morgan could have fought her. Thats what was shown in the Ark of Truth.

After that, it was decided that Origin would be reformed. Why? The teachings were not really bad as they taught the people to better themselves. Yat'yir, Gerak's lieutenant, said that the book contained words that helped a soul that was bereft with hope. Tomin showed in "Lines in the Sand" that certain Priors and the Ori themselves twisted the religion to suit their purpose.

So I disagree in that "Faith bad = erase it" approach. At that point, there were no Ori that could gain any power from the faith and even if there were, the Children of the Ori are not surrendering their belief willingly to the Ori themselves but rather taking stock in the reformed teachings. The whole power transference aspect was the willing belief that the Ori were all powerful and benevolent gods. After the whole AoT, the Humans of the Ori galaxy don't believe that anymore and would not kill for them as they had been decieved by false deities.

And don't get why Islam is now in the equation here :S

scarimor
March 31st, 2008, 07:38 AM
The most disappointing aspect of this film is that it was supposed to wrap up the Ori arc, but in that respect had no plot to speak of: they look for a magic box; they find the magic box; they use the magic box; the box works; wow.

As for the box itself and its magic light - that's just not-writing pretending to be science fiction, which results in something less explicable and appropriate than sorcery. The people who made the arc might as well have been wizards. The light it shone might as well have been a big beam of pixie dust. There's no inkling as to how it works or why.

I think I knew it was going to be bad with the opening scene. How did it go? Something like "Millions of years ago, in a distant galaxy". That is such drivel meant to be coming from a pro. That many words to tell us that you don't know where and you don't know when? And where have I heard it done so much better... oh yeah! A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away. Give us style.

Seriously, in four words you could tell your audience where and when: Pegasus, ten millenia ago. or Andromeda, fifty aeons ago. Anything like that. Sheesh.

SylvreWolfe
March 31st, 2008, 08:26 AM
i think it's absolutely fine for people who liked the movie to post their positive thoughts.
It's just that I always see the negative responses to Stargate criticized ALOT for them not liking a particular episode or film of the franchise.
Rarely do I see those negative to the film or series berate those that had a positive reaction with stuff like...You must be a COMPLETE FOOL!! to like such a PIECE OF RUBBISH!!!...etc.
For what it's worth, I just thought the film was like an average midseason two part episode-nothing more.
Given that i thought the writers of Gate were well and truely past it after season 5, it's not suprising.
Ah, the showtime years. The golden age!

Yes, I agree wholeheartedly. Whenever I post something critical or not totally 100% positive I get a *quit being so obsessive*, *quit being so critical*, *you must be kidding*, *then why do you watch? and *are you joking?*
It gets annoying.

Nothing is perfect and there are parts of every show, including your favorites, that can be criticized.

SoulReaver
March 31st, 2008, 09:14 AM
Yes, I agree wholeheartedly. Whenever I post something critical or not totally 100% positive I get a *quit being so obsessive*, *quit being so critical*, *you must be kidding*, *then why do you watch? and *are you joking?*
It gets annoying. you're kidding, right ? why do you watch ? seriously, stop being so obsessive & critical. it's really annoying :/

g.o.d
March 31st, 2008, 09:17 AM
It gets annoying.

I know what you mean. Sometimes it's very annoying

ses110
March 31st, 2008, 09:36 AM
I agree 1000% with everything you said. TPTB are charging people for this DVD. TPTB should give the Fans more than just an average episode. These DVD's should be about giving the Fans something special and something they would not see with a regular episode.

hokusman
March 31st, 2008, 09:40 AM
I realize that by page 10 of a Gateworld thread, discussion is usually restricted to arguments between posters, but I'm going to try to post something relevant to the topic anyway.

I guess I didn't have very high hopes for Ark of Truth, other than it being something that would look cool and be fun, and I pretty much got what I was expecting. I was already bored of the Find Another Ancient Weapon™ concept when I first read the preview for The Quest Pt. 1.

Mandysg1
March 31st, 2008, 09:52 AM

I never said everyone thought it sucked, you can tell by the many threads and posts that a lot of people liked it. The problem I have with the DVD's sales, is the numbers don't show much...it shows how many people bought the movie, not how many liked it or didn't like it. Nor does it show how many people are trying to get rid of thier copies by selling them.

Like others have said, and I agree, this is no more than a regular extended episode, of a plot (Ori) that was poor to begin with, IMO of course ;)

silly sally
March 31st, 2008, 09:53 AM
I never said everyone thought it sucked, you can tell by the many threads and posts that a lot of people liked it. The problem I have with the DVD's sales, is the numbers don't show much...it shows how many people bought the movie, not how many liked it or didn't like it. Nor does it show how many people are trying to get rid of thier copies by selling them.

Like others have said, and I agree, this is no more than a regular extended episode, of a plot (Ori) that was poor to begin with, IMO of course ;)

I agree! We'll see how many liked AOT by how many will by 'Continuum'...

david2708
March 31st, 2008, 12:56 PM
AOT will have had alot of sales with the curiosity/anticipation factor of what was hyped as a 'movie'.
I think Continuum will probably show the true strength of the franchise with regard to sales.
Those who hated AOT will probably hold back on purchasing continuum till they see it first, be it TV or um er download.
As I hate Baal stories, I have nil interest in this one.

ses110
March 31st, 2008, 03:27 PM
I have no interested in Baal either and I'm tired of AU but I'll probably still buy it because of RDA. I still will be really surprised of I end up loving Continuum. TPTB need to stop playing it safe and go all out with these Movies. The TPTB need to stop seeing SG-1 as a weekly series and start seeing it in terms of Movies. I'm not sure the current TPTB can do it.

david2708
March 31st, 2008, 08:53 PM
I have no interested in Baal either and I'm tired of AU but I'll probably still buy it because of RDA. I still will be really surprised of I end up loving Continuum. TPTB need to stop playing it safe and go all out with these Movies. The TPTB need to stop seeing SG-1 as a weekly series and start seeing it in terms of Movies. I'm not sure the current TPTB can do it.
Unfortunately, i suspect we'll get the RDA of season 7 onwards: the disinterested, phone in type performance with the regurgitaing of every tired joke that we've seen from Jack.No spark whatsoever.
As to TPTB, I just think Wright, Cooper, Malozzi, Kindler & Co just don't have any good scripts left in them anymore for the Stargate franchise. They remind me of Trek's Berman & Bragga who gave us that pitiful "These Are The Voyages" ep to end the Trek era. It truely showed they had stayed far too long and had nothing left in them for that franchise.
I feel the same way about TPTB of Stargate.

cheese
April 1st, 2008, 05:44 PM
Just saw the Ark Of Truth at last.

It was definately disappointing, in fact I even dozed off in the middle a couple of times, so I'll have to watch it again in case I missed something.

The plot moved too quick in some places, and too slow in others. The middle section was an absolute snoozefest of sitting about doing not much. Who knows maybe I missed a really exciting part, but when I woke up it didn't feel like I'd missed anything.

Teal'c relating to Tomin is understandable, because it's just Teal'c arc super condensed. I just don't believe the IOA would have allowed Tomin to be involved in any way. It took longer than a few minutes for Teal'c to get that kind of trust.

The opening scenes on Dakara were woeful. The sets looked incredibly cheap, and the lighting was bloody aweful. It looked like a set, it looked like it was on a sound stage. The explosions were cheap, the action was mudane. One of the most blah action scenes Stargate has done, a terrible start to the movie.

Replicators, I almost yelled at the Tv when the replicator turned up. I know IOA are supposed to be a bit stupid, but come on! And haven't the replicators been done to death repeatedly already? Even the Human Form replicators have pretty much had their lot.

The IOA guy was so unbelievably weak, a cardboard IOA character.

THe whole thing felt like a fairly lame two-parter rather than a movie. Production value was only markedly improved in a few places. CGI was mostly serviceable, but nothing spectacular.

Adria was such an empty villian, all posturing, no action. She did nothing except wave her arms about and make a couple of people fall over. Wow what a HUGE threat she was. A worthy villian? I think not. At least the Repli-terminator was tough and actually did some damage and some proper violence. She was supposed to have near godlike power but she didn't exhibit even the strength and evil she did in SG-1.

Very very little in the way of character development. Carter did some science. Daniel did some digging and some moralising (though not nearly as much as he should have!) Cameron got hit a lot. Teal'c was muscular. Vala was wacky. They didn't change, they didn't learn. They were just static. Main Character Armour remained fully in place too, though I didn't exect death, it might have been nice of them to find ways to make it look like they MIGHT get hurt or killed. (teal'c got injured sure but he's been through much much much worse than that!)

It lacked a truely jaw-dropping action set-piece, no major battle, no huge fight against the much hyped vast armies of the Ori. I'd hoped for big action, fun, adventure, a touch of originality and something to think about from this movie and instead got something indistingushable from one of SG-1's more average episodes. There was little here we hadn't already seen executed in pretty much the same way in the series.

The 'Yay rogue Ancients break the rules and magically save the day' ending was garbage, absolute garbage, they've already trundled that one out. And what exactly happened? Did Adria get killed? Did Morgan?

It wasn't all bad of course. Some of the team banter was nice enough. And as much as I disliked the ending at least it got the thing going, things were happening.

Cameron vs termicator was pretty cool. Plot wise it might have made no sense (since when do replicators do that? Since when have they been able?).

Music was good.

Some of the FX were nice, Adria's fire-costume for instance was wonderful. Morgan looked like an ascended being, and her floating ascended form when she attacked Adria looked great.

I wanted so bad for this to be a great movie, but in reality it was a two-part episode at best, and not one of the better ones either. I never once felt like it had risen up to Movie quality.

Mitchell82
April 2nd, 2008, 11:35 AM
I agree 1000% with everything you said. TPTB are charging people for this DVD. TPTB should give the Fans more than just an average episode. These DVD's should be about giving the Fans something special and something they would not see with a regular episode.

Which they did IMHO.

cheese
April 2nd, 2008, 02:05 PM
Which they did IMHO.

In what way?

sg1_david
April 2nd, 2008, 03:27 PM
I know Stargate's scifi and all that but i've always found it believable, til now. All of the Adria walking round covered in fire/the "final battle" between her and Morgan La Fay flying round as energy or whatever stuck out like some LOTR-style fantasy crap.

And either i've just forgotten about it since I haven't watched any of season 10 in ages, but when exactly where the Ori all killed?
I did enjoy the rest of the film though :)

jenks
April 2nd, 2008, 03:35 PM
I know Stargate's scifi and all that but i've always found it believable, til now. All of the Adria walking round covered in fire/the "final battle" between her and Morgan La Fay flying round as energy or whatever stuck out like some LOTR-style fantasy crap.

And either i've just forgotten about it since I haven't watched any of season 10 in ages, but when exactly where the Ori all killed?
I did enjoy the rest of the film though :)

10x14 The Shroud.

ses110
April 2nd, 2008, 04:29 PM
Great question. I'm still waiting for the special parts. I would ahve paid to see Lost City. That had something for everyone.

Mitchell82
April 2nd, 2008, 05:39 PM
In what way?

Well the tempo of it didn't feel like a regular episode. The music for one was extremely well done and helped made it feel like a movie. The story also was more complex than a regular ep. It would not be a good movie for a casual fan because you would have to have seen at least the last two seasons. It was way grander than Lost City or Mobeius.

g.o.d
April 3rd, 2008, 07:41 AM
Well the tempo of it didn't feel like a regular episode. The music for one was extremely well done and helped made it feel like a movie. The story also was more complex than a regular ep. It would not be a good movie for a casual fan because you would have to have seen at least the last two seasons. It was way grander than Lost City or Mobeius.

grander than Moebius? Yes
grander than Lost City? No. Lost City was great. It had everything, desperate SG-1 searching for the Atlantis to defeat terrible enemy. Emotional scenes (when O'neill said "Terra Atlantis", drones destroying Anubis' fleet, O'neill in the freezer). AoT was empty, silly written so-called movie.

jasminaGo
April 3rd, 2008, 11:36 AM

I don't think it was even close to LC and Moebius, IMO even Threads was grander than AoT, it had drama, suspense, the whole Ascended vs. Ascended battle was original back then and it even lasted a minute longer. :

scarimor
April 3rd, 2008, 12:38 PM
The story also was more complex than a regular ep.
On the contrary, there was no main plot. Look for a magic box. Find a magic box. Use it. Finished.

The replicator plot was linear and grafted on from a previous era to fill up time left empty by the magic box plot.

<snip>

Mister Oragahn
April 3rd, 2008, 01:41 PM

When the camera didn't look at them.

Mister Oragahn
April 3rd, 2008, 01:44 PM
grander than Lost City? No. Lost City was great. It had everything, desperate SG-1 searching for the Atlantis to defeat terrible enemy. Emotional scenes (when O'neill said "Terra Atlantis", drones destroying Anubis' fleet, O'neill in the freezer). AoT was empty, silly written so-called movie.

I'd disagree. Though Moebius was relatively weak, it's still a thousand times more watchable than AoT.
At least it doesn't have extremely embarassing stuff, and the whole plot, though not stellar, avoids enough plot holes.
AoT looks like they lost the script book inside a mice nest.

jenks
April 3rd, 2008, 01:50 PM
I'd disagree. Though Moebius was relatively weak, it's still a thousand times more watchable than AoT.
At least it doesn't have extremely embarassing stuff, and the whole plot, though not stellar, avoids enough plot holes.

Ha ha ha

stevearm07
April 3rd, 2008, 05:12 PM
Obviously it's expected to have the writer's introduce lazy and rehashed storylines these days on Stargate but the replicator story on AoT really took it to another level.

It being there in the first place is a huge indication of how THIN and UNDER-DEVELOPED the main storyline was. They spend two seasons building up the Ori, and when they finally have the big "epic feature film" payoff, they feel the need to add a shabby, superfluous B-plot to pad the running time?

SylvreWolfe
April 3rd, 2008, 06:04 PM
Hey, just wait for Continuum if you want to talk about rehashed story lines.

DigiFluid
April 3rd, 2008, 06:12 PM
Obviously it's expected to have the writer's introduce lazy and rehashed storylines these days on Stargate but the replicator story on AoT really took it to another level.

It being there in the first place is a huge indication of how THIN and UNDER-DEVELOPED the main storyline was. They spend two seasons building up the Ori, and when they finally have the big "epic feature film" payoff, they feel the need to add a shabby, superfluous B-plot to pad the running time?

The difference here, is that the AoT Replicators were an interesting addition and actually made sense given the context of the Ori war and the 'tactics' the IOA is known for. Even if you felt they were rehashed or recycled, you've got to give it that.

Asurans, on the other hand, were just balls-out recycling with little to no innovation whatsoever.

rlr149
April 3rd, 2008, 06:23 PM
As though we're not SICK of the replicators already who's this 'we' you're on about?

this thread is a bit 'deja-vu' too;)

whats you're point?

and you may want to read the "where do i put my AoT thread" thread, and look up 'spoiler tags'.

Col.Foley
April 3rd, 2008, 08:11 PM
I was certainly not sick to see the bugs again, it was very cool seeing them.

KindlyKeller
April 3rd, 2008, 08:25 PM
As someone who was for the most part painfully bored by the Replicator arc on SG-1 (especially when it involved the Asgard), I thought it was a brilliant and clever thread to introduce into "Ark of Truth" and I thought it worked out terrifically.

Prior_of_the_Ori
April 4th, 2008, 04:58 AM

I disagree with that, Moebius was simply awful and I would say AoT is a million times better then it. At least, AoT resolves something... what did Moebius resolve? They just magically get a ZPM out of the wonders of changing the timeline and reset everything to make the two episodes almost pointless. AoT at least resolves things, Moebius does nothing. I thought "What the hell?" after watching it. Its the only Stargate episodes I don't like.

So I have to concur with jenks, if anything, Moebius was embarassing and partly the reason why I am not looking forward to Continuum. I might be wrong with that one and it turn out good but so far the plotline looks very similar to Moebius.

Mitchell82
April 4th, 2008, 01:13 PM
While I agree that Lost City was a great ep I still disagree. AoT was just as grand if not more so.

Mitchell82
April 4th, 2008, 01:14 PM
On the contrary, there was no main plot. Look for a magic box. Find a magic box. Use it. Finished.

The replicator plot was linear and grafted on from a previous era to fill up time left empty by the magic box plot.

<snip>
I disagree.

Mister Oragahn
April 4th, 2008, 07:54 PM
I disagree with that, Moebius was simply awful and I would say AoT is a million times better then it. At least, AoT resolves something... what did Moebius resolve? They just magically get a ZPM out of the wonders of changing the timeline and reset everything to make the two episodes almost pointless. AoT at least resolves things, Moebius does nothing. I thought "What the hell?" after watching it. Its the only Stargate episodes I don't like.

So I have to concur with jenks, if anything, Moebius was embarassing and partly the reason why I am not looking forward to Continuum. I might be wrong with that one and it turn out good but so far the plotline looks very similar to Moebius.

Is that any better than having SG-1 just magically find the Ark of Win and reset two seasons of a show?

Don't get me wrong, I think Moebius sucks big times, but even if it didn't further much, it still was fresh, at least, in a kind of way, and had more times in SG-1 than AoT.
I don't fancy the alteration of the timeline either. I mean, by definition, it pretty much resets the whole show from there.

Obviously, we're debating about the intrasic quality of crap. :D

david2708
April 4th, 2008, 08:42 PM
Hey, just wait for Continuum if you want to talk about rehashed story lines.
More replicators but this time with go'uld symbiotes?

In any event, I cancelled my pre-order of AOT and will either wait for it to reach the $2 bargain bin or as a repackaged double with Continuum-also destined for the $2 bargain bin.

Prior_of_the_Ori
April 5th, 2008, 02:48 AM
Is that any better than having SG-1 just magically find the Ark of Win and reset two seasons of a show?

Don't get me wrong, I think Moebius sucks big times, but even if it didn't further much, it still was fresh, at least, in a kind of way, and had more times in SG-1 than AoT.
I don't fancy the alteration of the timeline either. I mean, by definition, it pretty much resets the whole show from there.

Obviously, we're debating about the intrasic quality of crap. :D

Yeah but AoT has a excuse though as SG-1 got cancelled and they had to resolve that storyline because it would leave a big question mark on how Earth was doing with the Ori followers still waging war. The same can't be said for Moebius which didnt resolve anything beyond magically giving SG-1 a ZPM.

In the end, at least AoT resolves something... but meh.

scarimor
April 5th, 2008, 07:01 AM
I disagree.
Really? Please describe the complexities, then. What did you find "complex"?

Eg., examples of non-linearity. Examples of textual layering. Any unexpected plot twists. That kind of thing.

Mitchell82
April 5th, 2008, 09:43 AM
Really? Please describe the complexities, then. What did you find "complex"?

Eg., examples of non-linearity. Examples of textual layering. Any unexpected plot twists. That kind of thing.

Well for one it was more than simply "find the magic box" as you put it. The movies main plot gave us more insight on the Ancients and their conflict with the Ori. The replicator twist was unexpected and well done. The visual effects were amazing, the script was superb and the acting was well done.

Mitchell82
April 5th, 2008, 09:44 AM
As someone who was for the most part painfully bored by the Replicator arc on SG-1 (especially when it involved the Asgard), I thought it was a brilliant and clever thread to introduce into "Ark of Truth" and I thought it worked out terrifically.

I actually loved the reps on SG-1 and any ep with the Asgard I loved but otherwise I agree.

Glugory
April 5th, 2008, 12:44 PM
Alright, I haven't been following this thread at all, but here are my concerns with AoT. Someone can tell me if these issues have been addressed already.

1. Mitchell and Carter are removed from the A plot for a B plot with replicators that ultimately proves pointless. The replicator B plot does nothing to the A plot, except remove the only means of escape for the ground team. Oh, and we get old school replicators again with the dumb IOA guy getting taken over by them for a really stupid fight scene. Snore.

2. Apparently despite having the power of an ascended being combined with the power she got from all of her worshipers, Adria can't just say, "Dude get away from the box," OR just float the box in midair, thus not allowing it to open like it did when Teal'c shot the table. She has all this power, but she can't float a box? Lame. I can understand the writer's dilemma though. They needed the team to beat what is, essentially, a god. Too bad they didn't come up with a good way for that to happen.

3. Am I right in my interpretation that the Arc, when it was used on the Doci, just influenced the other Priors? Cause it seems like just taking them out of the equation wouldn't sap Adria's power much due to the billions of other people still worshiping her. Again, shoddy writing.

Mitchell82
April 5th, 2008, 08:25 PM
Alright, I haven't been following this thread at all, but here are my concerns with AoT. Someone can tell me if these issues have been addressed already.
They have numerous times but I'll still respond to them.

1. Mitchell and Carter are removed from the A plot for a B plot with replicators that ultimately proves pointless. The replicator B plot does nothing to the A plot, except remove the only means of escape for the ground team. Oh, and we get old school replicators again with the dumb IOA guy getting taken over by them for a really stupid fight scene. Snore.
You are right that the two plots are separate from each other though the compliment each other well. I thought the Replicator plot was a very unique twist. Especially the "terminator" part.

2. Apparently despite having the power of an ascended being combined with the power she got from all of her worshipers, Adria can't just say, "Dude get away from the box," OR just float the box in midair, thus not allowing it to open like it did when Teal'c shot the table. She has all this power, but she can't float a box? Lame. I can understand the writer's dilemma though. They needed the team to beat what is, essentially, a god. Too bad they didn't come up with a good way for that to happen.
IMO they did come up with a good way to do it. Adria was taken off guard no to mention she didn't think it was a threat.

3. Am I right in my interpretation that the Arc, when it was used on the Doci, just influenced the other Priors? Cause it seems like just taking them out of the equation wouldn't sap Adria's power much due to the billions of other people still worshiping her. Again, shoddy writing.
No what it did was the prior's staff was transmitting what he saw to the other priors in the galaxy. So in essence when he "saw the light" so did the rest of the priors and while it wouldn't sap all her energy it would weaken her enough for Morgan to defeat her. So not shoddy writing IMO

g.o.d
April 6th, 2008, 01:47 AM
Well for one it was more than simply "find the magic box" as you put it. The movies main plot gave us more insight on the Ancients and their conflict with the Ori.
when? I assume you mean that short scene in the beginning. There was nothing more about their conflict after that.

The replicator twist was unexpected and well done.

I disagree :D it should have been movie about the Ori conflict. Replicator part was too long. :( I wouln't have minded part about the replictors, if it have lasted only for 10-15 minutes, not a half of a movie.

The visual effects were amazing, the script was superb and the acting was well done.

I don't know, I saw only non-cgi version.

scarimor
April 6th, 2008, 02:11 PM
Well for one it was more than simply "find the magic box" as you put it. The movies main plot gave us more insight on the Ancients and their conflict with the Ori.
What did it tell us that we didn't already know?

The replicator twist was unexpected and well done.
What "twist"? The introduction of the replicators wasn't a twist - you have to take an existing plot element in order to "twist" it. It was just an insert - ony unexpected because it had nothing to do with the Ori. No twist involved there. If it had been a twist, then being unexpected would indeed be a plus point, but since it wasn't a plot twist its unexpectedness is merely a measurement of its incongruity. Not a good thing.

The visual effects were amazing,
Adria's fiery effect was pretty good, as I've already said. There was nothing special about the rest of the visual effects. Not that this has much to do with complexity.

Acting was (mostly) good, but the actors had very little to play with because the script was so empty. And slow.

jckfan55
April 6th, 2008, 02:43 PM
What "twist"? The introduction of the replicators wasn't a twist - you have to take an existing plot element in order to "twist" it. It was just an insert - ony unexpected because it had nothing to do with the Ori. No twist involved there. If it had been a twist, then being unexpected would indeed be a plus point, but since it wasn't a plot twist its unexpectedness is merely a measurement of its incongruity. Not a good thing.

:indeed: The movie felt to me like a bunch of ideas strung together without a real plot.

The Sam/Cam story and the Everyone Else story felt disconnected. There have been plenty of episodes where the team members have been separated but still felt part of the same story. This didn't feel that way to me.
The characters were very paint by the numbers. As someone said, Cam gets beaten up, Sam does some science, Teal'c is tough etc...

The directing drew attention to itself rather than telling the story. Big helicopter shots may be cool, but they felt oddly inserted to me. Very self-consciously trying to be "big." :(

Mister Oragahn
April 6th, 2008, 03:17 PM

You mean the Babylon 5 version.

Mitchell82
April 6th, 2008, 05:08 PM
when? I assume you mean that short scene in the beginning. There was nothing more about their conflict after that.
No I mean that scene combined with the scene we saw later just before they left the galaxy.

I disagree :D it should have been movie about the Ori conflict. Replicator part was too long. :( I wouln't have minded part about the replictors, if it have lasted only for 10-15 minutes, not a half of a movie.
I guess we'll have to agree to disagree.

THey are way better I saw both and trust me the visuals are way better.

Mitchell82
April 6th, 2008, 05:11 PM
What did it tell us that we didn't already know?
Well for one it showed that the Ancients weren't simply arrogant on the whole Ori thing. We knew about the free will concept though the emotion of that scene really showed us just why they didn't use the ark.

I disagree.

Adria's fiery effect was pretty good, as I've already said. There was nothing special about the rest of the visual effects. Not that this has much to do with complexity.

Acting was (mostly) good, but the actors had very little to play with because the script was so empty. And slow.

Again I disagree.

Pheonix Commander
April 9th, 2008, 08:50 AM
AOT finally came out in australia officailly today and even thou i had seen the downloaded pre vis version i rushed down the shops and brought it first thing. Have a few thoughts now.

When i watched the pre vis version with just the blue and red dots for the adria and morgan battle i was hoping for a big fight scene in the completed film but it just wasn't there. The battle lasts all of thrity seconds and was as dramatic as a puff of smoke in the wind.

The premise of the ark itself seems a little tacked on to the ori story arc to me. If it was meant for a full 11th season i could see how it would work, but it definately lacked power because it wasn't fleshed out. Seemed a bit like, oh wait, there's this thing the ancients built, its powerful, its essentially unethical but we need it lets use it. If it is as powerful as we are supposed to beleive it should take more then a few hours trekking around a mountain to find, i mean look at the sangraal with the dragon etc. That mid season two parter seemed to be what AOT should have been in my book.

As for the replicators, I'm sort of glad to see them back in a sense. they certainly added some much needed drama and action to the movie but also some cheese - replicator terminator anyone? lol

I still like AOT, dont get me wrong, its nice to clean up the ori story. But by all reports continuum is the one to wait for - the freedom to have stand alone movies will be a big plus from here on in.

Mind you i'm such a massive fan i would buy 2 hours of Amanda tapping reading the newspaper if it came out on DVD.

Mitchell82
April 9th, 2008, 09:54 AM
AOT finally came out in australia officailly today and even thou i had seen the downloaded pre vis version i rushed down the shops and brought it first thing. Have a few thoughts now.

When i watched the pre vis version with just the blue and red dots for the adria and morgan battle i was hoping for a big fight scene in the completed film but it just wasn't there. The battle lasts all of thrity seconds and was as dramatic as a puff of smoke in the wind.
I knew what to expect mainly becuase from the pre vis it looked similar to the Anubis/Oma battle from Threads. However I did find it more dramatic than you did.

The premise of the ark itself seems a little tacked on to the ori story arc to me. If it was meant for a full 11th season i could see how it would work, but it definately lacked power because it wasn't fleshed out. Seemed a bit like, oh wait, there's this thing the ancients built, its powerful, its essentially unethical but we need it lets use it. If it is as powerful as we are supposed to beleive it should take more then a few hours trekking around a mountain to find, i mean look at the sangraal with the dragon etc. That mid season two parter seemed to be what AOT should have been in my book.
The thing is this isn't what was planed for the 11th season. The whole Sangreal thing would have been different as well had they been picked up. They could only do so much in a two hour movie tie up and they did it well IMO.I would have loved had this been stretched over a whole season but I am pleased with what we got.

As for the replicators, I'm sort of glad to see them back in a sense. they certainly added some much needed drama and action to the movie but also some cheese - replicator terminator anyone? lol
I too thought the same though I didn't find it cheesy.

I still like AOT, dont get me wrong, its nice to clean up the ori story. But by all reports continuum is the one to wait for - the freedom to have stand alone movies will be a big plus from here on in.
I am looking forward to Continuum as well.

Mind you i'm such a massive fan i would buy 2 hours of Amanda tapping reading the newspaper if it came out on DVD.
:lol: Me too.

Pheonix Commander
April 9th, 2008, 10:46 AM
It probably sounds like i'm being overly critical. AOT would have made a good two part story, because it would have had some lead up to it, ie like the sangraal how we had a few episodes following leads and then the big two parter. The ark just seemed a little convienient as in we hadn't really heard anything about it from what i can recall and then magically in 2 hours the ori are defeated.
I agree that an eleventh season would have been great, and i think that is what was needed to do justice to the ori stroyline. I think the stand alone movies will be fantastic and look forward to hopefully many of them and whilst i enjoyed AOT and don't get me wrong, I did enjoy it, i feel more relief then anything else at the end of it that the ori story arc is sorted and now we can move on.
It might be that i'm a unique stargate fan in that i have enjoyed atlantis more in the past 2 years then SG1. IMO the ori story line was a bit weak after the final years of Anubis and then atlantis starting. Just my thoughts and i'll probably get presecuted here for saying it because to choise SG1's little brother Atlantis over it, is almost sacreligious! lol

SoulReaver
April 9th, 2008, 11:38 AM
I agree that an eleventh season would have been great, and i think that is what was needed to do justice to the ori stroyline.yup yup - they could've closed that storyline without rushing it in a (pseudo) two-part episode :/

Arctic Goddess
April 9th, 2008, 12:05 PM
I was at the Vancouver convention and was one of the lucky 20 people who got to ride a bus with Michael Shanks and Lexa Doig to the premier of Continuum. During the ride, Michael Shanks himself, said that he was not happy with some of the aspects of the Ori story line. He said that the Sangral was like a magic grenade that they tossed into the supergate making everything wonderful. The same, he said, applied to the chest in AoT. He thought the solutions to the problems were a little too convenient.

Mitchell82
April 9th, 2008, 12:13 PM
It probably sounds like i'm being overly critical. AOT would have made a good two part story, because it would have had some lead up to it, ie like the sangraal how we had a few episodes following leads and then the big two parter. The ark just seemed a little convienient as in we hadn't really heard anything about it from what i can recall and then magically in 2 hours the ori are defeated.
I do see your point though I disagree.

I agree that an eleventh season would have been great, and i think that is what was needed to do justice to the ori stroyline. I think the stand alone movies will be fantastic and look forward to hopefully many of them and whilst i enjoyed AOT and don't get me wrong, I did enjoy it, i feel more relief then anything else at the end of it that the ori story arc is sorted and now we can move on.
Oh I agree actually.

It might be that i'm a unique stargate fan in that i have enjoyed atlantis more in the past 2 years then SG1. IMO the ori story line was a bit weak after the final years of Anubis and then atlantis starting. Just my thoughts and i'll probably get presecuted here for saying it because to choise SG1's little brother Atlantis over it, is almost sacreligious! lol
Far from it. Many haven't liked the last two seasons as much (I have however).

Mitchell82
April 9th, 2008, 12:14 PM
I was at the Vancouver convention and was one of the lucky 20 people who got to ride a bus with Michael Shanks and Lexa Doig to the premier of Continuum. During the ride, Michael Shanks himself, said that he was not happy with some of the aspects of the Ori story line. He said that the Sangral was like a magic grenade that they tossed into the supergate making everything wonderful. The same, he said, applied to the chest in AoT. He thought the solutions to the problems were a little too convenient.

Wait you've seen Continuum? Lucky SOB how was it?

scarimor
April 10th, 2008, 10:24 AM
Well for one it showed that the Ancients weren't simply arrogant on the whole Ori thing. We knew about the free will concept though the emotion of that scene really showed us just why they didn't use the ark.
We already knew about that attitude from the previous season. It was nothing new.

Can you explain how you disagree on the second point? Are you disagreeing with 'writing 101'?