Did the Timeline really get erased?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Did the Timeline really get erased?

Well the plot of this Episode was to fix the timeline by erasing it and making a new timeline. But did it really get erased?

There are several theory's on what would happen if you went back into time and changed events.

Now one of the theory's is that when you go back into time and change an event the original timeline is erased and a new one is created.

There is another theory that when you go back into time and change and event insteid of erasing the original timeline a Parallel timeline (i think set in a parallel universe) is created in which everything up to that point is the same as as the original timeline. So the original timeline is not erased.

Now Sheppard was sent into the future in the normal timeline. He is sent back into time to try to change the timeline. When he gets back it was 12 days for the rest of the people back on Atlantis in which he had been missing. Now in the original timeline he never came back at that time and came back to Atlantis in the future.

So the question is that when John Sheppard went back into time to make a new timeline did he erase the other timeline that he came from or just make a new timeline and the original timeline stays and is not changed.

I think that they implied that he erased the original timeline (which was shown in flashbacks) and created a new timeline in which the rest of the show will take place.

Yeah, I'm familiar with the theory. When you think about, I guess: everyone's dead and buried at that point, so even if it doesn't help those who are dead and buried, things will for certain be different for SHEPPARD. That's something, at least.
    Theoretically spoilerish:
    Spoiler:
    Sig courtesy of Pandora.

Comment

Originally posted by haloplayer View Post
      Well the plot of this Episode was to fix the timeline by erasing it and making a new timeline. But did it really get erased?

There are several theory's on what would happen if you went back into time and changed events.

Now one of the theory's is that when you go back into time and change an event the original timeline is erased and a new one is created.

There is another theory that when you go back into time and change and event insteid of erasing the original timeline a Parallel timeline (i think set in a parallel universe) is created in which everything up to that point is the same as as the original timeline. So the original timeline is not erased.

Now Sheppard was sent into the future in the normal timeline. He is sent back into time to try to change the timeline. When he gets back it was 12 days for the rest of the people back on Atlantis in which he had been missing. Now in the original timeline he never came back at that time and came back to Atlantis in the future.

So the question is that when John Sheppard went back into time to make a new timeline did he erase the other timeline that he came from or just make a new timeline and the original timeline stays and is not changed.

I think that they implied that he erased the original timeline (which was shown in flashbacks) and created a new timeline in which the rest of the show will take place.
      I guess it depends on whether you think altering small things changes bigger things, it is a small thing in the scheme of things to have Sheppard not get trapped in the future. The ramifications though are huge!

I think the point is for this to be one and the same time-line. McKay just hopes by bringing Sheppard back that everything resets, but alters as well... Teyla will not be killed, baby will be safe... he and Jennifer may or may not get involved *but now John can warn her to be extra careful around her research*.

Heck it is scifi with more emphasis on the "fi" then the "sci" so anything is possible.

I noticed Clone!Carson was no where to be seen... the writers like omitting things when it suits them don't they? I am so sure in all the 25 years of Rodney being alive that he never bothered to "save" Clone!Carson. Never found a way to do that; surely Clone!Carson would know more about Michael's experiments then anyone, would know his weak spot.

Comment

It didn't bother me in the episode, and I think given the time constraints it was better to avoid it, but you're dead right about Carson being forgotten.
        Spoiler:
        Sig courtesy of Pandora.

Comment

I think Shepherd returned to his own timeline, but who is to say if his return is for the better or worse. We don't know what went on during the 12 days that he was missing in action for one thing. Second, in the original timeline Teyla was found dead aprox. 2 months after Shepherds disappearance. Here they go storming in looking for her, only 2 weeks after his disappearance. There's really no reason to assume that just because she's suppose to be found in "6 weeks" from that time at that location, that she'll be there already now. They should've done proper reconassiance prior to their assault.

For all we know, they only made matters worse if one or more of the team members are injured by the falling debris (or worse). In the original timeline, they didnt even visit the planet until 6 weeks after this timeline. Who knows what changes are made due to them being trapped on the planet, what decisions Carter makes in order to go rescue them etc.
          Last edited by darkthunder84; 08 March 2008, 01:08 AM.

Comment

It's a frakking science fiction. Time travel, present and future time lines and such are a cool notion from sci-fi perspective. You guys are talking like any of this could actually happen

Comment

Originally posted by jdbond View Post
              It's a frakking science fiction. Time travel, present and future time lines and such are a cool notion from sci-fi perspective. You guys are talking like any of this could actually happen
              Isn't that what this board is? Talking like ANYTHING from these shows could actually happen? I agree that it doesn't matter, but it's interesting to discuss, which is the reason we're here.
              Spoiler:
              Sig courtesy of Pandora.

Comment

I think he's creating a new timeline. In stead of going through door A you go through door B.
                Not erasing the original timeline, he just pushes that aside and createsa new one.
                The old one is still there, just been pushed aside.
                Does that make any sence what so ever?
                I'm a 60%er | Sigs are made by me and othersThe Lorne Identity - A Lorne fanfiction collection community.

Comment

Originally posted by jdbond View Post
                  Fiction is best, and most powerful, if the reader/viewer can relate to the characters and situations. When a piece of fiction becomes too far removed from either our experiences or our ability to rationalize the story intellectually then we are left detached.

The problem with TLM is non-trivial. Since previous SGA (and SG-1) story lines have already laid the foundation of time travel as alternate universe creating, the McKay character would have known this (and indeed one SGA storyline was explicitly about an alternate McKay.)

So, McKay would have known that, rather than changing the past, what he was to accomplish (by sending Shep backward in time) would be merely to create another timeline, not save his own timeline.

Now, you might argue that on any given episode the writers can throw out all that went before (in previous episodes), but doing so creates chaos and contradictions to which even those viewers with the shortest of short term memory would object.

Comment

Time travel through time travel machines and jumpers creates the alternate universe, time travel through the gate does not.

Examples:
                    The Last Man

Vala,

Comment

IF Sheppard really came back (and the ending wasn't a dream while he was in stasis as someone suggested), then...we can't be sure if he did reset things. Sure, he came back - but Teyla is still missing, and they have NO idea where she is now, and John may or may not be dead and/or gravely injured in that explosion. So, as things stand now - the flashbacks we have seen COULD actually happen in the future, simply because nothing has changed. Teyla is missing, Sheppard is out of commission (at the moment).

We can hope they survived the building collapse...OR...that they were transported out somehow right before it collapsed. We think that 'Search and Rescue' is about Teyla - but it MAY be more about finding Shep and his team under that rubble. It will probably be about both...but until John is safe, and Teyla is rescued, the timeline we saw in TLM is still going to happen.

At least, that's what I'm thinking right now...

das
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by dasNdanger View Post
                        IF Sheppard really came back (and the ending wasn't a dream while he was in stasis as someone suggested), then...we can't be sure if he did reset things. Sure, he came back - but Teyla is still missing, and they have NO idea where she is now, and John may or may not be dead and/or gravely injured in that explosion. So, as things stand now - the flashbacks we have seen COULD actually happen in the future, simply because nothing has changed. Teyla is missing, Sheppard is out of commission (at the moment).

We can hope they survived the building collapse...OR...that they were transported out somehow right before it collapsed. We think that 'Search and Rescue' is about Teyla - but it MAY be more about finding Shep and his team under that rubble. It will probably be about both...but until John is safe, and Teyla is rescued, the timeline we saw in TLM is still going to happen.

At least, that's what I'm thinking right now...

das
                        You have quite a valid point. The old timeline happened because John was declared "KIA". Now i'm not saying the collapsed building caused him to get killed, but as far as anyone is concerned he might as well be KIA as it is, until they find him and his team.

Comment

Ok thanks for the responses guys. Looks like we will never know. Even if the original timeline did not get erased Sheppard and the people in this new timeline would not know that. I do know that there have been ways to go to Parallel Universes in Stargate Canon but i think the normal Parallel Universes are different then Parallel Timelines (set in a new Parallel Universe) created from changing the past.

Comment

Originally posted by Vala_M View Post
                            Time travel through time travel machines and jumpers creates the alternate universe, time travel through the gate does not.

Examples:
                            The Last Man

Vala,
                            Actually you don't know in the episode 2010. You know they tried to change the past by sending a letter back in time BUT they never said if that future timeline was erased and a new one was created or a new timeline was created but that future timeline still existed and was running parallel to the new timeline.

Comment

Originally posted by melfan View Post
                              I think he's creating a new timeline. In stead of going through door A you go through door B.
                              Not erasing the original timeline, he just pushes that aside and createsa new one.
                              The old one is still there, just been pushed aside.
                              Does that make any sence what so ever?
                              I don't think what actually happened (Teyla,Ronon,Carter and Keller's death) is what the original time line was supposed to be. I think he returned to his time line and the other one is the alternate.
                              Proud Sam/Jack and Daniel/Vala and John/Teyla Shipper!
                              "We're Americans! Shoot the guys following us!"
                              Don S. Davis 1942-2008 R.I.P. My Friend.

Comment

Working...
                              X