question about Mon Mothma (ep.VI)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

question about Mon Mothma (ep.VI)

When she was discussing the battle strategy and how many rebels lost their lives, she seemed very deep in thought as she was saying that. Is there anything which explains that? I mean, did she have a personal stake in the objective in retrieving the data of the Death Star like a relative or a lover was killed in the operation?

Originally posted by lunchbox View Post
    I mean, did she have a personal stake in the objective in retrieving the data of the Death Star like a relative or a lover was killed in the operation?
    I doubt it. Have you seen what a Bothan looks like?!

http://images.wikia.com/starwars/ima...hanConcept.jpg

Edit: Quick check on Wookiepedia results in this explanation:

Originally posted by Wookiepedia article on Mon Mothma
    In 4 ABY, Mon Mothma led the briefing of the Rebel forces before the Battle of Endor, knowing that it was the Alliance's best chance to defeat the Empire by destroying both its terror weapon (the second Death Star) and its leader, Palpatine, effectively ripping the regime's heart out. Mothma conducted the meeting with a heavy heart: shortly beforehand, a message had arrived via General Crix Madine that at last confirmed the death of her son Jobin months earlier in the Battle of Hoth. Mothma was also uncomfortable with elements of the plan itself, feeling that the Alliance would be damaged by resorting to assassination. Her demeanor remained steady, however, and the Rebel forces, inspired by her resolve, went on to victory at Endor, destroying the battle station and ending Palpatine's reign.
    Last edited by Bagpuss; 30 March 2010, 05:34 PM. Reason: Hotlinks changed to URLs.
    Jayne - Ain't logical. Cuttin' on his own face, rapin' and murdering - Hell, I'll kill a man in a fair fight... or if I think he's gonna start a fair fight, or if he bothers me, or if there's a woman, or if I'm gettin' paid - mostly only when I'm gettin' paid. But these Reavers... last ten years they show up like the bogeyman from stories. Eating people alive? Where's that get fun?
    Kaylee - Shepherd Book said they was men who just reached the edge of space, saw a vasty nothingness, and went bibbledy over it.
    Jayne - Oh, hell, i've been to the edge. Just looked like... more space.
    - Serenity

Comment

I think they tried to flesh out that particular story thread in Shadows of the Empire. I haven't read that particular novel in years but from I remember the information was being ferried near Kothlis (I think) on a ship containing garden manure or something. Of course, the Emperor had opted to 'give' the Rebellion the information as he reveals in RotJ but he didn't hand it over too easily. The attack on the freighter went badly and several Bothan fighters that made up the formation accompanying Luke's X-Wing and Dash Rendar's Outrider were destroyed when Rendar failed to take out a missile that the freighter had fired. What they didn't know at the time was that the freighter was using new diamond boron missiles and no matter how many shots Dash fired he would never have stopped it.

I'm not sure if there is further back story but I'm guessing the 'many' Bothan deaths relate back to their spies being killed in sourcing the location of the information in the first place.

Mon Mothma never appeared in the novel from what I can remember.

ps. I love that Bothan picture. It looks excellent...

Comment

Working...
      X