beaming through wormholes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

beaming through wormholes

so, if I have this right, certain things can travel both ways through an open wormhole like RF frequencies. Do you think that an Asgard transporter beam go against the tide as it were?

Reason I ask is that since RF waves can go both ways through a wormhole, could the Odyssey have beamed a nuke or something through to the other side of the wormhole when Atlantis was being attacked by the replicators with that beam?

I think that if the targeting sensors worked through the wormhole, then the transporter would, too.

You could probably beam blind, and that would work if you were trying to send in a bomb (though it might wind up in the ground or something possibly being rendered inert or detonating early), but it wouldn't be safe to beam a person or equipment that you didn't mind being destroyed.

Comment

We saw in 'The Quest' that the Ancients had the technology to beam people through a Stargate, but it was never stated if it could work in both directions.
      sigpic

Comment

That was not really the Ancients, just some of Merlins Uber-Tech. He used ascended knowledge to do it. I guess it could have been Morgan Uber-Tech, but she was still ascended so I don't think she could.

But it is very possible to beam things through an outgoing WH, but I dunno about incoming, we have no evidence to support either way.

Comment

We don't really know enough about how they work, but it's only radiation that can really go through, not big particles, so I doubt they could go both ways. But if the beaming tech puts you into small enough particles I would say it could.
          Best quotes ever:
          O’NEILL: I hope you like Guinness, Sir. I find it a refreshing substitute for food.
          Jack O'neill: I hope you diplomatically told him where to shove it.
          Teal'c:If you once again try to harm me or one of my companions, my patience with you will expire.
          Carter: You know, you blow up one sun and suddenly everyone expects you to walk on water.
          Thor:I like the yellow ones
          O´Neill:Hey, if you had been listening, you´d know that Nintendos pass through everything.

Comment

Originally posted by umopapisdn View Post
            We don't really know enough about how they work, but it's only radiation that can really go through, not big particles, so I doubt they could go both ways. But if the beaming tech puts you into small enough particles I would say it could.
            To elaborate on what you're saying:

Energy passes both ways through the gate, but matter can only travel in one direction. The Asgard sensors should work, but you'd only be able to transport through an outgoing wormhole, and the range would be limited to the horizon of the planet.
            On Earth-sized planets, the horizon is about 4.3 kilometers, which wouldn't give you much range.
            Jarnin's Law of StarGate:

1. As a StarGate discussion grows longer, the probability of someone mentioning the Furlings approaches one.

Comment

Doesn't the stargate already use transporter tech similar to the rings. When you pass through the event horizon you are converted to an energy pattern that is sent though the worm whole and resembled on the other side. So it should be no problem for regular beaming tech to work.

Comment

Originally posted by Durgia View Post
                That was not really the Ancients, just some of Merlins Uber-Tech. He used ascended knowledge to do it. I guess it could have been Morgan Uber-Tech, but she was still ascended so I don't think she could.

But it is very possible to beam things through an outgoing WH, but I dunno about incoming, we have no evidence to support either way.
                I was under the impression that all the tech merlin used was of Ancient origin and that the Sangral was the only thing that was trully based on his ascended knowledge, otherwise he could have made a better status pod that would have kept him alive longer, plus all the other devices we see him use look like pre/post Atlantis technology.

Comment

It doesn't work. Think about it what would you be targeting? I think we can say with a fair degree of certainty that you can't use sensors to check out the other side of the wormhole. So if you want to beam something through a wormhole what are you going to target? The wormhole?

It's a 2 dimensional surface with no physical substance. You can try and target the event horizon but it won't do alot of good. You'll end up with half the object on one side of the gate and half on the other.

Comment

Energy can't go both ways. If it could Goa'uld would fire there weapons through incoming wormholes in war times.

Comment

Originally posted by TheAccended View Post
                      Doesn't the stargate already use transporter tech similar to the rings. When you pass through the event horizon you are converted to an energy pattern that is sent though the worm whole and resembled on the other side. So it should be no problem for regular beaming tech to work.
                      You're not converted into energy, your molecules are broken up into their constituent atoms and fired in the form of a matter stream through the wormhole.

Originally posted by Esquin
                      I think we can say with a fair degree of certainty that you can't use sensors to check out the other side of the wormhole.
                      How are you coming to this conclusion?

Originally posted by Esquin
                      So if you want to beam something through a wormhole what are you going to target? The wormhole?
                      Look, even if you can't directly scan the area on the other side of a wormhole, you could still use a UAV with sensors on it to give you targeting information.

Originally posted by RepliVeggie
                      Energy can't go both ways.
                      Of course it can. How many times have we seen the team communicating via radio through outgoing and incoming wormholes? Radio is light, and light is a form of energy.

Originally posted by RepliVeggie
                      If it could Goa'uld would fire there weapons through incoming wormholes in war times.
                      The Goa'uld use plasma weapons. Plasma is a form of matter. Matter can only go one-way.
                      Jarnin's Law of StarGate:

1. As a StarGate discussion grows longer, the probability of someone mentioning the Furlings approaches one.

Comment

Yea that was my point Jarnin. That weapon energy cant go both ways.

Comment

The Goa'uld use plasma weapons. Plasma is a form of matter. Matter can only go one-way.
                          Just for clarity can somebody tell me where it states that staff weapons are plasma based?

I always thought they were energy based (they run off liquid naquada ?)

Just because the ship weapons might be plasma based does not mean anything about the staff weapons.

Comment

ooh! Here's a thought! Could a vessel's hyperspace window be so small that it could be projected into the stargate event horizon just in case the Daedalus (say) needs to get somewhere really quick.

Comment

The rings emit matter streams so they will not work both ways.

Not all energy passes through, infra-red, visible light, UV, x-rays and gamma rays do not pass through, otherwise we could sense what was on the other side or use a gamma ray burst to kill incoming travelers.

We can therefore assume that only Radio and microwave passes through both ways, the asguard beams are probably a stream of subatomic particles or are high energy radiation, either way they will not pass both ways.

Comment

Working...
                              X