Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How Beckett SHOULD have returned (Spoilers)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How Beckett SHOULD have returned (Spoilers)

I thought the writers missed an easy way to have Becket return full-time. Only, for some reason it feels like the writers take characters that everybody loves and writes them out to spite fans in SGA. The fans always loved Becket, so I couldn't figure out why they wrote him out to begin with.

Anyway, a cool way to bring the Becket we loved back would have been like this:

When Michael captured Becket, he cloned him and took the real Becket with him to do the research. He left the clone, who didn't know he was a clone, with the Atlantis team to go back with them. The clone dies in "Sunday" and now we have the real Becket back.

They could have avoided the whole cloning problem angle and we'd all be happy. I actually thought this is where they were going with it until they revealed that Becket was a clone.

There was no way that Michael could have cloned Beckett in the 'Misbegotten' camp because it didn't have any advanced technology which he could have used.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ciannwn View Post
      There was no way that Michael could have cloned Beckett in the 'Misbegotten' camp because it didn't have any advanced technology which he could have used.
      So it would seem. But, even so, there could have always been a later switch. After all, Teyla had this whole serious relationship going on....all offscreen. (Not that I like doing things that way, but tptb seem to have no problem doing so when it suits them.)

And do we know how Michael managed to get off the planet? Always hoping the answer to one question could help with another.

Comment

Originally posted by erb View Post
        And do we know how Michael managed to get off the planet? Always hoping the answer to one question could help with another.
        According to 'Vengeance' he was picked up by a hive ship. This has to be the one that turned up in 'Misbegotten' because it wasn't destroyed. Michael then went on to say that he barely escaped this hive with his life so he couldn't have made a clone there.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ciannwn View Post
          Yup! I would of been upset at the writing department if this was the real Carson. It would of been "CHEAP" not like the idea of the clone which is very clever, and how they tied it into the new story arc and used an old story arc.

How could Michael make a clone after only a few months after the events of "Misbeggotten"? The Carson clone could of been created only a year ago, but because he had the genetic memories of the other Carson, it felt like almost 2 years to that Carson. Truly very dynamic and clever writing, imo.
          sigpic

Comment

So it would seem. But, even so, there could have always been a later switch. After all, Teyla had this whole serious relationship going on....all offscreen. (Not that I like doing things that way, but tptb seem to have no problem doing so when it suits them.)

You have to remember the events that happen are in real-time. An entire season is basically almost a year. There are off screen events that do happen between seasons. The Teyla and Kanaan thing being one of them. If Season 3's Misbegotten happened in episode 2, and the real Carson died in episode 17, it was really only several months, maybe like 4 or 5 tops. There was no way Michael could of learned the technology and figure out the science of cloning in such a short time.

This clone will be better than the original Carson, he has so much more to prove, and he will not let his friends down just because he is a copy.
            sigpic

Comment

Teyla having a secret relationship off-screen, and Carson being kidnapped off-screen are hardly the same thing...

Comment

Originally posted by jrd231 View Post
                I thought the writers missed an easy way to have Becket return full-time. Only, for some reason it feels like the writers take characters that everybody loves and writes them out to spite fans in SGA. The fans always loved Becket, so I couldn't figure out why they wrote him out to begin with.

When Michael captured Becket, he cloned him and took the real Becket with him to do the research. He left the clone, who didn't know he was a clone, with the Atlantis team to go back with them. The clone dies in "Sunday" and now we have the real Becket back.

They could have avoided the whole cloning problem angle and we'd all be happy. I actually thought this is where they were going with it until they revealed that Becket was a clone.
                That would ahve been nice, but then in reality, it would make sense to hire back McGillion but wait, they already hired Staite, so budget is met. They killed Beckett for the foolish reason of 'shaking things up.' ALl it did was tick off the fan base.

Comment

Originally posted by prion View Post
                  That would ahve been nice, but then in reality, it would make sense to hire back McGillion but wait, they already hired Staite, so budget is met. They killed Beckett for the foolish reason of 'shaking things up.' ALl it did was tick off the fan base.
                  Killing off Beckett was pointless, imo. The ratings are the same as they were last season's 2nd half. The Weir arc was actually interesting and had a point, with potential, but I don't even want to get into that.

Maybe this clone bit will make it more interesting and all will not be in vain.
                  Last edited by Briangate78; 05 March 2008, 10:55 AM.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jrd231 View Post

it could never of worked he would have to keep the clone because he needs those durgs doesn't he the atlantis crew would have noticed somthing was rong in the first place and would have to but the clone in statsis
                    sigpic
                    [[[[[Dr Keller]][[For Ever]]]]]

Comment

Well, that's how I wished it would happen as well from the moment I heard he was coming back. It also seemed the most logical and interesting explanation.

I also think that it was pretty impossible for Michael to clone him that fast, unless he's using the Carson Easy Bake Oven™. Real Carson could have been extracted from Atlantis later in the season yet still before Sunday.

But I'm trying not to dwell on it too much.

Originally posted by prion View Post
                      That would ahve been nice, but then in reality, it would make sense to hire back McGillion but wait, they already hired Staite, so budget is met.
                      Actually, I don't think so. Kindred was written (and filmed) a while before the season five casting even was released. IMHO they chose Keller because they needed to balance out the cast gender ratio. If Amanda had stayed, we could probably have Carson back. If tptb decided to actually be charitable (never expect charitable from them) and invited Torri back full-time, and she agreed, we probably would also have him back. But no - I applaud Torri for turning the offer down, I wouldn't like a half-assed deal either.

I still blame tptb. We could have Carson back by now if they hadn't decided to off Elizabeth in the first place. But tptb are petty like that

Oh yes. And then there's the point that Keller has breasts and Carson doesn't.

Comment

Originally posted by Briangate78 View Post
                        Yup! I would of been upset at the writing department if this was the real Carson. It would of been "CHEAP" not like the idea of the clone which is very clever, and how they tied it into the new story arc and used an old story arc.
                        Truly very dynamic and clever writing, imo.
                        *sighs* You know I don't have a problem with a clone in theory. I actually like the idea of them as, like you have said, it adds to the scifi feel of the series.

However, just coming up with the idea of a clone in itself isn't clever. Like others have said, it, like most everything else, has been done before. (Have even seen it in fanfics....are they all clever just to include cloning?)

What will or won't make it clever depends on the detailed explanation of the how, including Carson's memories also being incorporated into this being, not just his DNA. So, for me, it's still a 'wait and see'.

As to the bolded part, I do agree with that.

Originally posted by Naonak
                        Teyla having a secret relationship off-screen, and Carson being kidnapped off-screen are hardly the same thing...
                        Hmm...well, if the secret relationship didn't have any significant impact on storyline the way Carson being kidnapped would, I would be more inclined to agree. But, her relationship and the supposed result of it is the major part of Teyla's arc for this entire season and who knows how much of the one to follow. So, again, I feel tptb are perfectly happy to have significant goings-on off-screen, if it suits them. JMO.

I don't think it's unreasonable to have wanted and to want to see some scenes of Teyla's lover before Michael got his hands on him, especially since she refused to leave him and go to safety with her unborn child. It would be nice for us to know this person for whom Teyla would risk so much.

Comment

Originally posted by Briangate78 View Post

How could Michael make a clone after only a few months after the events of "Misbeggotten"? The Carson clone could of been created only a year ago, but because he had the genetic memories of the other Carson, it felt like almost 2 years to that Carson. Truly very dynamic and clever writing, imo.
                          Exactly. This presents incredibly interesting character dynamics. What is the nature of self, and how do we accept others defining it for themselves. He's Carson, but he's not. I think they handled it extremely well. Making the real Carson would have been eye-roll-inducing beyond imagination.
                          Theoretically spoilerish:
                          Spoiler:
                          Sig courtesy of Pandora.

Comment

What a shock -- something derailed into another Keller Hate Thread.
                            Theoretically spoilerish:
                            Spoiler:
                            Sig courtesy of Pandora.

Comment

Originally posted by MrMcKayCan View Post
                              What a shock -- something derailed into another Keller Hate Thread.
                              Give me a break. You know it was bound to happen

Comment

Working...
                              X