This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ANTI-Mitchell ONLY thread

I don't know if this is done before, if it was I couldn't find it, so I'm starting a new one.

I can't stand the way Cam Mitchell was brought into the show. He was a good pilot, he saved SG1, good for him (and them). But that didn't mean he can be a good field officer and lead the premiere team. I think TPTB were acting desperate, they lost the lead character, so they just pushed a new one in and were like: he's a hero, see Daniel is thanking him for saving their lives, Jack tells him he can do what ever he wants, Sam is an old friend of his, they like him, so everyone has to like him too.

Personally I think Mitchell was a moron and worse moron with no experience. Case in point: Stronghold. Carter organises the rescue mission, he waltzes in the last second, takes over, and then heads off on some self-important redemption crusade, leaving his team no choise but to follow and almost getting them killed.
    Another proof: Off The Grid. They are on reconnaissance mission, when he decides to play wanna be drug-diller, insults him teammates, and again puts them in unnecessary danger.

Am I the only one who thinks this way?

p.s. For those who want to tell me how wrong I am and what a great character he is, don't bother.
    sigpic

ah finally someone has the same opinion as me on mitchell, yay! i thought i was the only one, i thought everyone loved him, thank god i was wrong!

it seemed like they brought him in coz they loved farscape but he just didnt fit right imho. i really hate it when they bring people in from other shows coz the writers are fans, so annoying.

i really liked seasons 1-8 of sg1 but hated 9 and 10 mainly for mitchell and all the other changes.

i know rda's shoes are impossible to fill but surely they could have come up with someone better than the mitchell character?
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by elliecat View Post
      ah finally someone has the same opinion as me on mitchell, yay! i thought i was the only one, i thought everyone loved him, thank god i was wrong!

it seemed like they brought him in coz they loved farscape but he just didnt fit right imho. i really hate it when they bring people in from other shows coz the writers are fans, so annoying.

i really liked seasons 1-8 of sg1 but hated 9 and 10 mainly for mitchell and all the other changes.

i know rda's shoes are impossible to fill but surely they could have come up with someone better than the mitchell character?
      I didn't really watch the last two seasons of SG-1. But I think what they did with Cam was a bit... crass. In my opinion, Carter should have been the lead on SG-1, with no one to challenge her authority - her and Cam were the same level. Carter deserved to be lead. She'd proven that in Season 8. They should have brought him in as a Major because the team did need another military officer.

I'm not saying I don't like Cam but, since season 9 (I watched a few re-runs on Sky) it seems like it's a different show I was watching than the originals.
      don't worry, soon we won't have to say goodbye.

facebook | Celebrate Scotland |livejournal

Comment

i agree, it really didnt have the same feel as earlier seasons and carter did deserve to be in charge being on sg1 for 8 years and doing a great job she was the natural choice to lead the team.
        sigpic

Comment

I agree in general. Carter definitely deserved to lead SG1 and Mitchell is a moron a lot of the time...but he's an ok character. I absolutely hated him in season 9 but think that his character improved a lot in season 10. Saying that, I'm still not even close to being a fan of his. <- seriously?

(Credit to RepliCartertje for the beautiful sig and to Mala for smilies.)

Comment

Originally posted by Nikki View Post
            I agree in general. Carter definitely deserved to lead SG1 and Mitchell is a moron a lot of the time...but he's an ok character. I absolutely hated him in season 9 but think that his character improved a lot in season 10. Saying that, I'm still not even close to being a fan of his. <- seriously?
            Yeah, they made a little redemption in s10, but it wasn't even close to enough. The reason TPTB come up to why Mitchell stayed in command even after Carter came back was that he was a senior officer, but with everything I've seen Sam was promoted first. Plus she has 8 years of off-world and 1 year as a leader experience, while he read "all" the files, like that will help him. In Lockdown in s8, when the Russian Colonel wants to join a team, Jack tells him he needs a training first, but Mitchell gets out of a hospital and gets command of SG1. There is no logic in that decision.
            sigpic

Comment

Hope you don't mind me posting here.

I was completely anti-Mitchell at the beginning although I was a BB fan (occasionally watched Farscape). I couldn't understand ignoring the three other stars of the show and bringing in BB as the lead. Was it because of a misguided notion that a man needs to be in charge? Was it because TPTB thought AT, MS and CJ didn't have enough star power when it should be obvious from their large following that is not the case? Was it the old Canadian inferiority complex that an American star was necessary? (no offence intended to my American friends) While I appreciate that RDA was (and is) a very popular actor, IMHO the others could have easily carried the show (look at Atlantis which has done well with actors many wouldn't have known previously).

I often wonder how things would have played out in terms of leadership if AT had not been away on maternity leave just at that time. I agree 100% that should have been leading SG1. I would have been much happier with Mitchell coming on as a member of the team under Sam's command. Having said that and keeping in mind it still bothers me that Mitchell is "co-commander" (although, it seems, in name only) I agree with Nikki that the character improved a lot in season 10. I agree he was often an idiot in season 9 and watching certain episodes still makes me cringe. He was also an idiot in Unending which undid a lot of the improvements I saw in season 10.

However, I did come to love his easy friendship with Sam and I like his sense of humour. Bottom line, I guess I am "anti" how he was often written but have come to like the character in many ways.

Not trying to change anyone's mind, I fully understand why you are anti-Mitchell.

Sorry for the wordy post.
              Last edited by EH-T; 04 March 2008, 11:39 AM.

Thanks to Pengyn, SamJackShipLover and Mala for the sig.

Comment

Originally posted by jasminaGo View Post
                I don't know if this is done before, if it was I couldn't find it, so I'm starting a new one.

I can't stand the way Cam Mitchell was brought into the show. He was a good pilot, he saved SG1, good for him (and them). But that didn't mean he can be a good field officer and lead the premiere team. I think TPTB were acting desperate, they lost the lead character, so they just pushed a new one in and were like: he's a hero, see Daniel is thanking him for saving their lives, Jack tells him he can do what ever he wants, Sam is an old friend of his, they like him, so everyone has to like him too.

Personally I think Mitchell was a moron and worse moron with no experience. Case in point: Stronghold. Carter organises the rescue mission, he waltzes in the last second, takes over, and then heads off on some self-important redemption crusade, leaving his team no choise but to follow and almost getting them killed.
                Another proof: Off The Grid. They are on reconnaissance mission, when he decides to play wanna be drug-diller, insults him teammates, and again puts them in unnecessary danger.

Am I the only one who thinks this way?

p.s. For those who want to tell me how wrong I am and what a great character he is, don't bother.
                Oh, we covered all this on the anti season 10 thread.

Mitchell is a great big Marty Stu character. (poor BB...tptb just wasted a good actor on this character.)

He never even seen the Gate before the very first ep.

yep, the hewo that saved SG-1 while many other pilots died doing the same job gets all the gravy and it totally goes against show cannon. Remember how reluctant Jack was to fill Daniel's spot when he ascended?

Mitchell should have been a seasoned veteran who was just assigned to SG-1...then Colonel Carter should have been missing to explain her absence. he should have been the man who helps Daniel and Teal'c find Carter instead of the Marty Stu responsible for "bringing the band back together."

Instead we got the hot shot hewo who nearly died and then miraculously brought SG-1 back together after he found his first confrontation was more than he could handle. He became the ultimate Mart Stu when he 'brought band back together" after failing to find his own team...out of what would have to be hundreds of applicants.

Then taking command away from Sam after begging her to come back to the team. Yep, real winner there.

Originally posted by gater101 View Post
                I didn't really watch the last two seasons of SG-1. But I think what they did with Cam was a bit... crass. In my opinion, Carter should have been the lead on SG-1, with no one to challenge her authority - her and Cam were the same level. Carter deserved to be lead. She'd proven that in Season 8. They should have brought him in as a Major because the team did need another military officer.

I'm not saying I don't like Cam but, since season 9 (I watched a few re-runs on Sky) it seems like it's a different show I was watching than the originals.
                Carter should have led SG-1. Vala should have remained a re-occuring character and a thief. Sam should have actually found the new enemy with Daniel, Teal'c and Mitchell.

Also, they really should have addressed Jack's absence too.
                Grammar, Logic, Rhetoric.

Comment

Working...
                X