This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Amsterdam

I'm not quite sure what to think of the new show New Amsterdam. I read the premise while ignoring the pilot episode that was leaked on to the Internet a few months ago. - On paper it sounds like a rather interesting show, but the proof will be in the pudding when we get to see the premiere tonight (Tuesday) on Fox. So if any of you are going to watch it as well, please feel free to discuss it here, thank's.

I got this off of Fox's Web Site ......

NEW AMSTERDAM centers on a brilliant and enigmatic New York homicide detective unlike any other. And he has a profound secret -- he is immortal.

In 1642, JOHN AMSTERDAM (Nikolaj Coster-Waldau), then a Dutch solider in the colony of New Amsterdam – later to become New York City -- stepped in front of a sword to save the life of a Native American girl during a massacre of her indigenous tribe. The girl in turn rescued Amsterdam, weaving an ancient spell that conferred immortality upon him. Amsterdam will not age, she told him, until he finds his one true love. Only then will he become whole and ready for mortality.

Amsterdam has found this to be a mixed blessing. Over the course of three centuries, he's experienced endless adventure and honed his many talents. But everyone Amsterdam meets must leave him in time; friends, lovers and children grow old and eventually die, while he remains young. The exhilaration of eternal life has given way to emotional isolation and loneliness; the blessing has become a curse. His sole confidant and current lifelong friend is the sage jazz club owner OMAR (Stephen Henderson), the keeper of Amsterdam's secret, as well as a few of his own.

Having witnessed its entire history from colonial outpost to mega-metropolis, John Amsterdam is the living embodiment of New York City. He and the island of Manhattan are joined -- part and parcel. Bringing to bear the unorthodox techniques and unique knowledge gained from his vast life experience, Amsterdam today is one of the NYPD's best homicide detectives, sparring with his vibrant, strong-willed partner EVA MARQUEZ (Zuleikha Robinson) as they solve difficult murder cases.

But when Amsterdam suffers and then recovers what appears to be a massive heart attack while chasing a suspect, and DR. SARA DILLANE (Alexie Gilmore) pronounces him dead in the ER, he realizes that the prophesy may have come true -- he felt the pain in his heart foretold so long ago. His soul mate must have been nearby. As he works to bring closure to the lives of others, Amsterdam also seeks closure of his own.

From executive producers David Manson ("Saved," "Thief," "Nothing Sacred"), Allan Loeb ("Things Lost in the Fire," "21"), Lasse Hallström ("Chocolat," "The Cider House Rules," "The Hoax"), Leslie Holleran ("Chocolat," "The Cider House Rules," "The Hoax") and Steven Pearl ("Untraceable"), this intriguing series invites viewers to explore the enduring mysteries of life, death and true love.

I am definetly going to watch it. I have read good and bad about it, but like you stated Starbase, the premise does look rather interesting. I have always liked shows or movies where someone from the past in thrown into the future to do a job or set things right. I hope it turns out to be entertaining.

Comment

I think it'll probably be hokey and badly-written, but I'll watch the pilot as long as I can remember when it's on. The basic premise sounds like your generic Vampire Battling the Forces of Evil plot only without the blood-sucking or the tendency to burst into flames in sunlight. LOL! Still, I'll give it a shot.

Comment

I can't wait for this. The clips I've seen are all promising. What I read was the pilot had problems and one of the reasons it took so long to premiere was they went back and refilmed and changed aspects. I had no idea it was leaked on the net. Glad I didn't as I'm excited to see it tonight!
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat View Post
          The basic premise sounds like your generic Vampire Battling the Forces of Evil plot only without the blood-sucking or the tendency to burst into flames in sunlight. LOL! Still, I'll give it a shot.
          Battling the forces of evil minus the "blood-sucking" and "tendency to burst into flames in sunlight" is fine with me.

Everything I have read or seen about New Amsterdam does sound "hokey and badly written" yet semi-interesting as well. I'm glad I saw this thread other wise I would'nt have had a clue it was premiering tonight.
          the Fifth Race

Mod@ www.Bodybuilding.com
          Mod@ www.MMAforumcom

Comment

Sounds like a kind of "meh" copy of Torchwood, to me.
            "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Watching it right now..... Its ok, like shadow mat said its poorly written. This show has alot of potential, but...right now its not.

Comment

I'm really not feeling the doctor so this show is done for me. I mean the premise of the show is that he find his true love and I really don't care for her. I like him and his partner better.
                sigpic
                My OTP's LEAP with passion. Weir did it better.

Comment

Actually, I was kinda impressed. Yeah, it's light and fluffy and the premise is painfully hokey, but I liked it. He named his dog 86. LOL! I guess it's just my kinda cheese. At least for now. The novelty could well wear off in the next ep or two, but it wasn't as painful as I was afraid it'd be.

Comment

I liked it. A bit of a choppy start, think they'd have done better with a 2 hr pilot. But I like the characters, some nice moments. Plenty of potential. Some of the choppiness came from missing the first few minutes due to a weather alert and then the sound kept going out for a few seconds due to the weather.

I liked the doctor, and I like the partner, the dog, etc etc. Look forward to more!
                    sigpic

Comment

The flashbacks were awkward. Dunno if that's because they redid the ep or what, but hopefully now that it's out of the way it'll be over. Although there will probably still be occasional flashbacks to his other lives. I liked the way they handled that, though, mostly just through pictures and that lady painter.

Comment

Watched the pilot a few months back. Thought it was quite impressive. Look forward to seeing more.
                        Science Fiction is an existential metaphor; it allows us to tell stories about the human condition.

Isaac Asimov once said individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence has become crucial to our salvation if we are to be saved at all.

[/QUOTE]

SENFORUMS.com

Comment

I actually liked the pilot. I didn't feel excited about it but it's worth a second viewing. I always worry about shows like this. The draw, for me, and I assume for many people looking for a scifi/fantasy series is the fact that he's immortal but I think after the first few episodes this is really going to become meaningless and then it just becomes a crime drama with a touch of romance. Unless they can find a way to bring some more fantasy elements in without making it cheesy, I doubt that this is going to be able to hang on to fans who want more than a crime drama. Crime dramas are a dime a dozen.

"You know what would make a good story? Something about a clown who makes people happy, but inside he's real sad. Also, he has severe diarrhea." - Jack Handy

Comment

I have to say that I did enjoy this episode. Isn't the next episode this Thursday though (opposite of Lost)? And then it moves to it's new time on Monday?

Comment

Great takes (good and bad) on the premiere everyone. I watched the pilot for New Amsterdam, it was'nt that easy to follow but there was definitely enough merit to keep me watching for a few more episodes. The concept is rather unique - something that television hasn't seen in a while where crime dramas are concerned. I am not sure if the crime drama part is supposed to be secondary to John's story of immortality, but last night it definitely took a backseat, perhaps because we were still in the exposition of his character. There were some great inside jokes centering around John's inability to die - my favorite was the joke about how long he had been sober. It was very unclear how many of the characters were privy to his immortality, though. - I found that confusing. I am hoping that this will be a strong show and that with a few more episodes we will fully understand who John Amsterdam is.

Originally posted by Suzotchka View Post
                              I have to say that I did enjoy this episode. Isn't the next episode this Thursday though (opposite of Lost)? And then it moves to it's new time on Monday?
                              That's correct my friend, they are showing another new episode tomorrow (Thrusday) night and then it switches to its regular shedule on Monday nights at 9 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X