PDA

View Full Version : Fan in need of a new series to be addicted to

Annubis' hitman
March 3rd, 2008, 04:17 PM
I have all of stargate sg-1 and atlantis and i am currently watching them all again for the 3rd time.

However, i wanted to know what series you guys would recommend.

I need a series that
-is relatively cheap to buy on dvd( $50 or less?)
-is not to old looking aka bad graphics ( orginal series star trek is to old looking)
-has a lot of material for me to get sucked into

other than that im open for suggestions

o and ive seen all of star trek: TNG and i loved that as well.

P-90_177
March 3rd, 2008, 04:19 PM
I have all of stargate sg-1 and atlantis and i am currently watching them all again for the 3rd time.

However, i wanted to know what series you guys would recommend.

I need a series that
-is relatively cheap to buy on dvd( $50 or less?)
-is not to old looking aka bad graphics ( orginal series star trek is to old looking)
-has a lot of material for me to get sucked into

other than that im open for suggestions

o and ive seen all of star trek: TNG and i loved that as well.

Battlestar Galactica? DS9? Farscape. All good choices.

bliv
March 5th, 2008, 10:25 PM
$50 for a whole series or just for a season?

Isn't Farscape still among the more expensive shows when it comes to DVDs?

If you are after scifi that doesn't require a space factor then you could do a lot worse than work your way through the X-Files. Plenty of good stuff in there.

docballen
March 5th, 2008, 11:00 PM
Man, this must be a "bug" or "virus" that's going around. This is the third thread that has asked for more science fiction programs.

There is the older thread, titled "reccommendations" (posted by someone named "pileofcrap') where they are asking about five different programs, whether they are worth "getting into". Go back a couple of pages and you can get into this thread. (I'm sorry I don't know how to link to this... I'll get current someday...)

And then there is a thread titled, "Need help that only a Stargate fan can provide" posted by Cynycal, where Cynycal is looking for space-oriented sci-fi that isn't on the list that he/she (I'm sorry, I don't know Cynycal's gender. Please forgive my choice of words.) graciously provides.

My suggestion is to go through and try to get everything on Cynycal's list-- maybe one series at a time-- and just enjoy it. You've apparently seen two or three of a list of maybe thirty programs...

DigiFluid
March 6th, 2008, 05:06 AM

*sigh*

March 6th, 2008, 08:54 AM
$50 for a whole series or just for a season?

Isn't Farscape still among the more expensive shows when it comes to DVDs?

If you are after scifi that doesn't require a space factor then you could do a lot worse than work your way through the X-Files. Plenty of good stuff in there.

x-files is rather cheap for the whole thing too!!

*sigh*

i heard they want to remaster it with new cgi and stuff!!

Flyboy
March 6th, 2008, 04:09 PM
I would personally reccomend:

Sci Fi -

Doctor Who
Torchwood
X-Files
Buffy
Angel
Red Dwarf
Firefly

Non Sci-Fi -

Spooks
Scrubs
Yes Minister
The West Wing

kisstian
March 6th, 2008, 04:32 PM
Scrubs
Highlander:The Series
Battlestar Galactica
Dead Like Me

DigiFluid
March 6th, 2008, 04:40 PM
i heard they want to remaster it with new cgi and stuff!!

Which is an absolute abomination in the vein of George Lucas. Things like that simply should not be done. You don't see modern artists enlarging the Mona Lisa's breasts in order to placate modern expectations, do you?

pisces27
March 6th, 2008, 04:47 PM
These are a few of my favorites

Sci Fi -

Torchwood
X-Files
Buffy
Angel
Firefly
Moonlight

March 7th, 2008, 01:43 AM
Which is an absolute abomination in the vein of George Lucas. Things like that simply should not be done. You don't see modern artists enlarging the Mona Lisa's breasts in order to placate modern expectations, do you?

it's not the same IMHO, it's more akin to people taking old damaged paintings and touching them up to look better, not actually changing it in any way, just incorperating newer technology to make it appeal to a wider audience.

DigiFluid
March 7th, 2008, 04:01 AM
Silicone, for instance?

Annubis' hitman
March 7th, 2008, 12:13 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions guys.

I think im going to look into

firefly
Deep Space Nine
Bablyon Five

O and those who have said scrubs im already addicted to that show. :)

bliv
March 7th, 2008, 12:39 PM
Not sure if it was mentioned but Firefly is only a season long so you may be better served with DS9 if you want to get into something that's a little more long running.

Lilandra
March 7th, 2008, 01:53 PM
you might like Andromeda, but you never know

Chaser
March 8th, 2008, 06:50 AM
What about Futurama? There are 4 box sets out there, very affordable these days, and it's one of the more cleverly written Sci Fi shows of the past few years, IMO.

H Louise
March 8th, 2008, 08:47 AM
I would totally recommend -Star Trek Voyager if you liked TNG, Jericho is another great series, that's just in it's second or so - so you might be able to catch it on a tv channel somewhere - so that's a cheap option.

Farscape, Buffy, Angel, Sarah Connor the Chronicles, Torchwood, Dr Who, Lost, Numb3rs, Spooks...

pisces27
March 8th, 2008, 03:30 PM
you might like Andromeda, but you never know

The first 3 seasons were fabulous.

muffinnuffin
March 23rd, 2008, 03:52 PM
The Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy. Personally, I love Douglas Adams' writing and Im spending almost entire days listening to the radio shows.

Wikipedia it for more info :)

Bray
April 2nd, 2008, 06:55 AM
Jericho - it's only 1.25 seasons long but it's so damned good!
Firefly - once again only one season but absolute ownage!
BSG - The new one obviously a good programme for someone who wants to think about a show, if you know what I mean. I think there is something like 60 episodes of this so more than enough to keep you busy for quite some time. Plus the 4th and final season starts in like 2 days!!!

Admiral Mappalazarou
April 2nd, 2008, 07:22 AM
Firefly if you want something small and epic. BSG if you want something big and epic.

Dezdmona
April 2nd, 2008, 07:29 AM
Firefly if you want something small and epic. BSG if you want something big and epic.
Indeed. I see the Firefly set on sale regularly for $15-$20.
BSG is the best long term Sci-Fi to be put out in years. (IMHO)

Admiral Mappalazarou
April 2nd, 2008, 07:39 AM
Indeed. I see the Firefly set on sale regularly for $15-$20.
BSG is the best long term Sci-Fi to be put out in years. (IMHO)

And its one of the best shows I've ever seen.

Bray
April 2nd, 2008, 07:51 AM
And its one of the best shows I've ever seen.

Snap

ussrelativity
April 2nd, 2008, 02:16 PM
Earth: Final Conflict was a pretty good show, but it's really hard to come by.

Allestian
April 2nd, 2008, 03:21 PM
Torchwood
Doctor Who
Dead Like Me

:P

magictrick
April 3rd, 2008, 11:34 AM
I was in the same situation a couple months ago when I finished SG-1 (I had already been caught up with Atlantis).

I searched up the SG-1 actors on IMDB and was pleasantly surprised to find Ben Bowder and Claudia Black had previously been on a little series called Farscape!

Currently starting on the 4th season of Farscape, I highly recommend it.

I'm looking into BSG as my next option.

I also agree with whoever suggested Jericho, that is an awesome show..although i don't see how it falls under sci-fi, but a great one to watch nonetheless.

Farscape
Jericho
BSG

Forseti
April 5th, 2008, 11:37 AM
Firefly is by far the best series I have ever watched in my life. Sadly, it only lasted 13 episodes, so be careful getting in to it--the whole only lasting a dozen episodes thing is a major disappointment.