PDA

View Full Version : British Bias

Stewart5
March 3rd, 2008, 08:49 AM
Obvo, am going to have a wee bit o' bias towards Great Britain, but, in total seriousness, I would have been made up to see someone other than the good ol' US military stomping over alien nations. SG-1 may have been an American project, but what about Atlantis? Some British military involvement, even some European involvement, would be good. I mean, the U.S gave the Russkies a space ship, but what about the UK...we are the US's biggest allies, so could we not be expected to ally with them in space??
Not that SG aint awesome, just want to see someone other than Yanks(no offence intended) doing the fighting.....and that includes Canadian actors playing at being Yanks....:mckay:

jenks
March 3rd, 2008, 08:51 AM
Grodin? Carson? I've seen a British soldier somewhere in season 4 too...

*edit*

Technically it's a replicator, but they're all based on real people I think. (on the left).

http://www.stargatecaps.com/sga/s4/410/mortalcoil0505.jpg

Stewart5
March 3rd, 2008, 08:53 AM
Carson, yes, but he weren't military.
And if uv seen a British soldier please point him out....and a don't mean to sound sarcastic, I'm serious, please show me!!:beckett: hehe

True!Ancient
March 3rd, 2008, 09:30 AM

*edit*

Technically it's a replicator, but they're all based on real people I think. (on the left).

http://www.stargatecaps.com/sga/s4/410/mortalcoil0505.jpg

Yea and they both got killed off

TorchwoodManor
March 3rd, 2008, 10:43 AM
True, the show (SGA) doesn't have a lot of military personnal from any other country. And even though I would love to see some British fellow come onto the show, chances are to hire someone from the UK would be rather expensive. And they would probably have time constraints because they are not from Canada or America, and therefore would have to go home occasionally. And American/Canadian shows also have more episodes per season than British shows do, almost twice the amount, which takes twice as long to film, so that might be another reason.

Garrowan5th,

It's nice of you to think that our two respective countries are still allies, I don't hear that a lot. It's just that our two countries are so different now, and TV shows from both sides take pot shots at America and Great Britain. But in many regards, it doesn't have to be like that, we should get along. And if I was running the show, then the UK would have the biggest battleship we could muster... ;). I'm a Yank, and proud of it, and I'm also proud to be a friend to our allies, those who live in the UK!

Torchwood Manor

SGFerrit
March 3rd, 2008, 12:23 PM
True, the show (SGA) doesn't have a lot of military personnal from any other country. And even though I would love to see some British fellow come onto the show, chances are to hire someone from the UK would be rather expensive. And they would probably have time constraints because they are not from Canada or America, and therefore would have to go home occasionally.

Just hire Jamie Bamber when BSG is done and get him to talk in his normal accent!;)

lewismnflwr
March 3rd, 2008, 12:29 PM
Yippie YAY !!!! Some one recognising the lack of Brits !!! Me a happy Bunny !!!!

lewismnflwr
March 3rd, 2008, 12:34 PM
SGA is supposed to be international - so aint !!!!

USA< yup, yup yup ect

A few other countries are represented, but the UK ??? Nope.

In S1 i was very impressed and thought that UK would be there just because Beckett had a Scots flag on his uni and Groden (yes i know - i can't spell !!!) had the Union Flag - that was just sssoooo british !!! I was hoping to see the Dragon !!!!

But now it is all Stars and Strips

ykickamoocow
March 3rd, 2008, 12:38 PM
A scene in "Conversion" which seriously pissed me off was when Weir spoke to a German soldier about doubling the guard and then he radio's someone else and its clear he has got a thick American accent. HOW MANY GERMANS HAVE AMERICAN ACCENTS.

s09119
March 3rd, 2008, 12:39 PM

Well, we are better...

TOTALLY JK!

lewismnflwr
March 3rd, 2008, 12:48 PM
GO THE BRITS !!!!!

We could so have won by now !!!! My view might be slightly one sided as my Dad is ex Para !!! But really !!!!!

WE ARE FAB !!!!

its not just the milatry thing either, its only american culture that is shown

ykickamoocow
March 3rd, 2008, 12:53 PM
GO THE BRITS !!!!!

We could so have won by now !!!! My view might be slightly one sided as my Dad is ex Para !!! But really !!!!!

WE ARE FAB !!!!

its not just the milatry thing either, its only american culture that is shown

Imagining a American (Sheppard) trying to teach a Alien (Teyla) about a sport and then him calling it Football is embarrassing for everyone. Using American Football as a example of earth culture is very cringe worthy.

The_Carpenter
March 3rd, 2008, 12:54 PM
Britain should have command of the Earth space fleet!

We have the most naval experience or did at one point lol

ohh and we are probably the best nation at naming warships! I mean the Defiant, Dreadnought, Dauntless, Invincible, The Victory, Avenger, the list goes on :cool:

ykickamoocow
March 3rd, 2008, 12:56 PM

ohh and we are probably the best nation at naming warships! I mean the Defiant, Dreadnought, Dauntless, Invincible, The Victory, Avenger, the list goes on :cool:

Yes the British are very good at naming ships.

SGFerrit
March 3rd, 2008, 12:57 PM

God, I wish we could pick some of those names for our new aircraft carriers:( The new Type 45's have great names, and rightly so, they are the most advanced destroyers in the world. But I am much less happy about what we are calling the new CVFs.

lewismnflwr
March 3rd, 2008, 12:58 PM
Imagining a American (Sheppard) trying to teach a Alien (Teyla) about a sport and then him calling it Football is embarrassing for everyone. Using American Football as a example of earth culture is very cringe worthy.

LOL I'm so a Rugby Union girlie !!! notice thats never been mentioned !!

And yes - we rock at names !!! I mean "puddle jumper" reminds me of my 4 year old nephew after its rained !!!!

P-90_177
March 3rd, 2008, 01:01 PM
God, I wish we could pick some of those names for our new aircraft carriers:( The new Type 45's have great names, and rightly so, they are the most advanced destroyers in the world. But I am much less happy about what we are calling the new CVFs.

Really? What might they be?

SGFerrit
March 3rd, 2008, 01:02 PM
Really? What might they be?

The Queen Elizabeth and The Prince Of Wales. Just don't pack as much of a punch and the Invincible or the Ark Royal, do they?:(

Rac80
March 3rd, 2008, 01:12 PM

you forgot HMS Enterprize :) can't forget that one! ;)

lewismnflwr
March 3rd, 2008, 01:12 PM
I agree !!! If ya going the Welsh way ( The Prince of Wales) The Welsh flag has a Dragon, why not use that to add power to a name !!!??? (although if ya listen to my very Welsh father, the Dragon on the Welsh flag represents all Welsh women !!! - which is fine by me )

Why not mention our pride in our forces ??? Something that given the "special relationship" we have with USA should be shown along side US pride in show's like SGA - that are ment to rep a multi national force

lewismnflwr
March 3rd, 2008, 01:13 PM

OOOOHHHHHHhhhhhh where is my Russel Watson CD ??????

Cameron Mitchel
March 3rd, 2008, 01:15 PM
Obvo, am going to have a wee bit o' bias towards Great Britain, but, in total seriousness, I would have been made up to see someone other than the good ol' US military stomping over alien nations. SG-1 may have been an American project, but what about Atlantis? Some British military involvement, even some European involvement, would be good. I mean, the U.S gave the Russkies a space ship, but what about the UK...we are the US's biggest allies, so could we not be expected to ally with them in space??
Not that SG aint awesome, just want to see someone other than Yanks(no offence intended) doing the fighting.....and that includes Canadian actors playing at being Yanks....:mckay:
I agree. I would've had at least Great Britain involved in the Stargate Program, especially after the events of Season 8. It'd be cool to see British special forces out on missions.

ykickamoocow
March 3rd, 2008, 01:19 PM
I agree. I would've had at least Great Britain involved in the Stargate Program, especially after the events of Season 8. It'd be cool to see British special forces out on missions.

Here is a thread i made awhile ago about this very subject

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=50986&highlight=Special

lewismnflwr
March 3rd, 2008, 01:34 PM
Here is a thread i made awhile ago about this very subject

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=50986&highlight=Special

I just read the Thread you mentioned. very good points ( rec'd that everyone here reads it ) noticed something missing from the Brit list of SF. Pathfinders. Given that they are represented by a winged horse (and are truely the best of the best of Brit armed forces) don't ya just think they fit in Peguses

VSS
March 3rd, 2008, 02:59 PM
SGA is supposed to be international - so aint !!!!

USA< yup, yup yup ect

A few other countries are represented, but the UK ??? Nope.

In S1 i was very impressed and thought that UK would be there just because Beckett had a Scots flag on his uni and Groden (yes i know - i can't spell !!!) had the Union Flag - that was just sssoooo british !!! I was hoping to see the Dragon !!!!

Strips! Who's going to strip? Oh please, please let it be Sheppard.

I see. The HMS Enterprizehttp://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj116/VSS_photos/other%20pictures/Acearlymelb.jpg

As compared to this USS Enterprise:
http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj116/VSS_photos/other%20pictures/USS_Enterprise_NCC-1701-A.jpg

Or maybe this USS Enterprise http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj116/VSS_photos/other%20pictures/030702_enterprise.jpg

Or Maybe this USS Enterprise
http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj116/VSS_photos/other%20pictures/403px-Space_Shuttle_Enterprise_in_l.jpg

Which was the real reason why Jack didn't get to name the Prometheus Enterprise, instead. We really do already have one.

Actually, I love the UK and I'm taking the whole family there next summer for a month.
And we go to Alberta so often that my DH only drinks Kokanee. And coffee. :)

March 3rd, 2008, 06:00 PM

AMEN BROTHER!

I think that there should AT LEAST be 2 or 3 British SG teams and our "greatest ally" should have a 303 or 304 to boot!!

:sheppard:

ykickamoocow
March 3rd, 2008, 06:27 PM
AMEN BROTHER!

I think that there should AT LEAST be 2 or 3 British SG teams and our "greatest ally" should have a 303 or 304 to boot!!

:sheppard:

All of America's traditional allies should have the specs to the 304 as technology sharing amoung very close allies is not uncommon at all.

Australia
Canada
United Kingdom

Ive probably forgot some countries but the ones i just listed have had very close military ties to America for nearly 70 years and the sharing of technology is reasonably common (eg just afew years ago the Australian Military developed the most advanced radar system in the world and the Australian government immediately shared that technology with our closest allies).

March 3rd, 2008, 07:02 PM
All of America's traditional allies should have the specs to the 304 as technology sharing amoung very close allies is not uncommon at all.

Australia
Canada
United Kingdom

Ive probably forgot some countries but the ones i just listed have had very close military ties to America for nearly 70 years and the sharing of technology is reasonably common (eg just afew years ago the Australian Military developed the most advanced radar system in the world and the Australian government immediately shared that technology with our closest allies).

I've posted this before but I believe that the natural progression of Stargate Command would at some point down the line be it's own entity (separate from the USAF) and would be multinational. Actually, it would be multi-world (Teal'c, Ronin, Teyla, etc...). In the meantime, ykickamoocow's comment is correct, our traditional and TRUE allies should have more. How cool would it be to see Odyssey flanked by British and Aussie 303's or 304's! :cameron:

TheReturnOfTheLantian
March 4th, 2008, 05:10 AM

Amercian football is well different to our Football.

as Football is Soccer
and Rugby is Amercian Football based game.

us brit's are good at naming ship's, we are proud atleast the US are taking the name's and re'using them
and i also agree that there should be acouple brit's on Atlantis we did have Grogan in season 1 but was a shame that they killed him off. as i do like his character

jenks
March 4th, 2008, 05:16 AM
Just remember that '(American) Football is the cornerstone of western civilization' line, oh dear.

TheReturnOfTheLantian
March 4th, 2008, 05:21 AM
Just remember that '(American) Football is the cornerstone of western civilization' line, oh dear.
but it dosnt mean that everyone all over the world like's (Amercian) Football.
Football has tobe a bigger hit.
here's a photo of a UK Solider in the Mortal Coil. but rather have a character which is has a semi good roll.
get SAS tbh

here's a piccy of a UK Uniform. dosnt mean he's british or welsh
http://img172.imageshack.us/img172/6089/mortalcoil0518zz6.jpg

EDIT: added spoiler tag's as requested

The_Carpenter
March 4th, 2008, 05:29 AM
here's a photo of a UK Solider in the Mortal Coil. but rather have a character which is has a semi good roll.
get SAS tbh

Dude... the page... spoiler tag it so its not stretched into the 10th dimension :mckay:

Though it brings its own question? why does Carson get a Scottish flag whilst all other British personal wear the Union flag? I'm sensing preference for the SNP on the behalf of TPTB :eek:

jenks
March 4th, 2008, 05:35 AM
JM says that the civilians in the expedition choose their own flags, but I think it's more likely due to the ignorance of the producers, either that or they thought the audience wouldn't understand why he was wearing a Union Jack...

Ioqua
March 4th, 2008, 07:10 AM
Totally for more Brits, As long as you dont end up with "Tally hoe..pip pip through the gate and we'll be back in time for tea and crumpets"

Oh and one of the most overlooked and my personal favorite in the Royal Navy is the Battleship HMS Warspite..Shame if was last used for a sub and not been chosen for a new ship yet.

I have a personal interest in the ship as my Grandfather was Lieutenant Commander on board...its and oddly underrated ship that does not even feature in the Royal Naval Museum yet you have this:

Warspite carries the most battle honours for any individual ship in the Royal Navy, and the most awarded for actions in the Second World War.

Jackie
March 4th, 2008, 07:49 AM

well, lets look at the military on atlantis first:

SGA-1
Sheppard...american (supposedly:mckay:)
Teyla...alien
Ronon....alien
Rodney...canadian

previous military personal
Bates...american
Colonel Sumner...american
Ford...American

Current uniforms...standard black with Atlantis marking which are removable for off world missions, ect.
No ranks on uniforms
No flags of nationality on military guards uniforms
No insignia other than Atlantis and Stargate.
***notice....the lack of insignia is on off world operations and military drills not when shep is talking during down time.*****

So, first...you cannot conclude just who is supposed to make up the military based on uniform flags insignia.

I am wondering why none of the uniforms from military bears the UN flag as a common umbrella that would signal a joint operation.

I am wondering why the UN flag is not on ANY uniforms scientist or other...unless the UN doesn't know about the program in the stargate factious universe.

I wouldn't want to see military teams broken up and segregated by nationality. That would be a throw back to the days of "separate but equal." I would like to see a UN type blanket that covers all the military sent to Atlantis and a a few soldiers that are from other countries...I would like Atlantis to reflect how this would be handled in real life.

There would be a joint task force or a UN authority covering the city.

Right now I could only conclude that the Stargate Program is a joint task force on Atlantis due to the number of characters that are from other counties.

I don't see any reason to place home country flags on the military personal shown in battle or going off world...there uniforms are blank for a reason.

Now where could we place additional military people from other counties?

Sheppard has to either not go off world or have a boss that is higher ranking. The chief of security shouldn't be going off world. So, they could place a full bird colonel or international equivalent in a new position that would take Sheppard out of an administrative position. That character would be reoccurring.

Could have placed a big old hairy Russian in Ford's old slot...but went with classic Alien muscle type instead.

Teyla has outlived her initial purpose, she could have been replaced in season 2 instead of going the Wraith DNA route. That would have been a great opportunity to place a military anthropology expert from another country.

Major Lorrin could be replaced with an military expert from another country.

I wouldn't expect to see guards running around the city wearing flags on their uniforms. The guards don't even wear rank insignia for that matter.

So, whom would you all like to replace to put in a military export from Britain?

The_Carpenter
March 4th, 2008, 08:00 AM
Well I know the UN get touchy about Doctor Who saying what UNIT stands for as it is apparently a actual department they have.

So perhaps they don't want to be associated with Stargate for whatever reason, Besides AFAIK the UN only really has peacekeeping forces not special forces ;)

SGFerrit
March 4th, 2008, 08:15 AM

SGA-1
Teyla...alien
Ronon....alien
Rodney...canadian

Bates...american
Ford...American

Current uniforms...standard black with Atlantis marking which are removable for off world missions, ect.
No ranks on uniforms
***notice....the lack of insignia is on off world operations and military drills not when shep is talking during down time.*****

So, first...you cannot conclude just who is supposed to make up the military based on uniform flags insignia.

I am wondering why none of the uniforms from military bears the UN flag as a common umbrella that would signal a joint operation.

I am wondering why the UN flag is not on ANY uniforms scientist or other...unless the UN doesn't know about the program in the stargate factious universe.

I wouldn't want to see military teams broken up and segregated by nationality. That would be a throw back to the days of "separate but equal." I would like to see a UN type blanket that covers all the military sent to Atlantis and a a few soldiers that are from other countries...I would like Atlantis to reflect how this would be handled in real life.

Right now I could only conclude that the Stargate Program is a joint task force on Atlantis due to the number of characters that are from other counties.

I don't see any reason to place home country flags on the military personal shown in battle or going off world...there uniforms are blank for a reason.

Sheppard has to either not go off world or have a boss that is higher ranking. The chief of security shouldn't be going off world. So, they could place a full bird colonel or international equivalent in a new position that would take Sheppard out of an administrative position. That character would be reoccurring.

Could have placed a big old hairy Russian in Ford's old slot...but went with classic Alien muscle type instead.

Teyla has outlived her initial purpose, she could have been replaced in season 2 instead of going the Wraith DNA route. That would have been a great opportunity to place a military anthropology expert from another country.

I wouldn't expect to see guards running around the city wearing flags on their uniforms. The guards don't even wear rank insignia for that matter.

So, whom would you all like to replace to put in a military export from Britain?

That whole post is pointless. You don't have to replace anyone.

In season 5, tptb are introducing another gate team, commanded by an American named Alicia Vega. They could use an opportunity like this to introduce a British, or Russian, or French etc etc... character.

rarocks24
March 4th, 2008, 08:33 AM
Yea and they both got killed off

True, but at least they weren't red shirted. Grodin died a hero by destroying a hive ship and Beckett died saving the life of a man instead of leaving him to a explosive tumor.

thekillman
March 4th, 2008, 10:49 AM
atleast daniels dad was dutch :D like me :D

but anyway. i do think europe has much more to offer than the russians.

thekillman
March 4th, 2008, 10:51 AM
sorry i forgot: say "holland" to an american and he says "wasnt that the capital of amsterdam" . poor suckers

mircalla
March 4th, 2008, 02:00 PM
Amercian football is well different to our Football.

as Football is Soccer
and Rugby is Amercian Football based game.

Horror of horrors! How could you get that back to front!

American Football is based on Rugby! *Head desk*

Rugby developed mid 19th century with the first written rules in 1845. Walter Camp, who first defined the rules of American Football was born for another 14 years after that!!!!!!

OF COURSE WE INVENTED IT FIRST :D:D

mircalla
March 4th, 2008, 02:06 PM
I would feel more 'at home' if there were some British personnel in Atlantis. After all, Doctor Who / Torchwood have Captain Jack and now Captain John!

I just keep reminding myself that Amanda Tapping was born in Essex and David Hewlett was born in Surrey!

ykickamoocow
March 4th, 2008, 02:08 PM

Possibly the most irritating line in Stargate history.

Mitchell82
March 4th, 2008, 02:34 PM

I disagree. It is a staple of American culture whether you like it or not. I do agree with the OP that they have shown other countries on a very limited basis. They do need to show other countries support of the program more and out in the field.

ykickamoocow
March 4th, 2008, 02:39 PM
I disagree. It is a staple of American culture whether you like it or not. I do agree with the OP that they have shown other countries on a very limited basis. They do need to show other countries support of the program more and out in the field.

It would be fine if Sheppard said "Cornerstone of American civilisation" but what he actually said was "Cornerstone of Western Civilisation" which insinuated that every Western based culture likes American football which is simply not the case.

Mitchell82
March 4th, 2008, 02:46 PM
It would be fine if Sheppard said "Cornerstone of American civilisation" but what he actually said was "Cornerstone of Western Civilisation" which insinuated that every Western based culture likes American football which is simply not the case.
Ok I'll grant you that but I don't see what the big deal is.

VSS
March 4th, 2008, 02:52 PM
Spoilered for space
SGA-1
Teyla...alien
Ronon....alien
Rodney...canadian

Bates...american
Ford...American

No ranks on uniforms

Spoilered for space

Well, just remember that the UN evacuates its troops due to unsafe conditions. That should remind you why no one actually fights under the UN flag. They are incapable of a coherent military response.

If you want a multinational force, send NATO.

Mitchell82
March 4th, 2008, 02:54 PM
[/SPOILERS]

Well, just remember that the UN evacuates its troops due to unsafe conditions. That should remind you why no one actually fights under the UN flag. They are incapable of a coherent military response.

If you want a multinational force, send NATO.

NATO wouldn't last five minutes in Pegasus.

VSS
March 4th, 2008, 03:11 PM
NATO wouldn't last five minutes in Pegasus.
Probably true. I don't think any known multinational force would work. That's just the best one I could think of. And frankly, I think only the US military would last longer than 5 minutes. But the point is, the UN wouldn't even go.;)

lewismnflwr
March 4th, 2008, 04:51 PM
Probably true. I don't think any known multinational force would work. That's just the best one I could think of. And frankly, I think only the US military would last longer than 5 minutes. But the point is, the UN wouldn't even go.;)

Sorry but thats just WRONG brit SPO would so be better !!! Brits have been the first in and last out in wars, doing more and for longer - and often with out shouting about it !!! look at the top of Brit SPO, The Pathfinders - they do their job - very well, and ya never know they are out there.

ykickamoocow
March 4th, 2008, 04:56 PM
Sorry but thats just WRONG brit SPO would so be better !!! Brits have been the first in and last out in wars, doing more and for longer - and often with out shouting about it !!! look at the top of Brit SPO, The Pathfinders - they do their job - very well, and ya never know they are out there.

Not to be picky but Australia was in WW1 just as long as the British (though it did take time to get our troops to Europe) and in WW2 Australia was the first commenwealth nation to fire a shot at the Germans and after the Africa Campaign the Australian military switched attention to the Japanese threat so even after the Germans had been defeated the Australian military was still fighting.

VSS
March 4th, 2008, 05:24 PM

I'm not disparaging any soldiers. It's not about the soldiers anymore. It's about the machines and firepower, these days. Especially in outer space.;)

(Although, if you sent Daniel Craig, he could handle the Wraith single handedly, I'm sure.).

Stewart5
March 25th, 2008, 03:58 AM
Dudes, all u who agree, u rock

Stewart5
March 25th, 2008, 04:01 AM

This is true. I also would love it to be the Royal Marines! 1664!
Five of us and we'd win the damn thing!

dropstitch
March 25th, 2008, 04:03 AM
I haven't seen ANY British personel at the SGC or on Atlantis. Beckett was Scottish and Grodin sounded South African, but was probably an American citizen.

I'm British and I think the reason there's no British presence in Stargate is the lack of proper tea-making facilities. It's all coffee with you folks, and that just won't do!

Stewart5
March 25th, 2008, 04:34 AM
Well I know the UN get touchy about Doctor Who saying what UNIT stands for as it is apparently a actual department they have.

So perhaps they don't want to be associated with Stargate for whatever reason, Besides AFAIK the UN only really has peacekeeping forces not special forces ;)

Sorry, u'll all be getting sick of ma replies, but hey, i felt i had to with htis one.

The UN forces are all 'seperate but equal' anyway. they are all individual units, but they still work together.

As for replacing, eg a British Royal Marine Major with twenty Marines who form SG teams that go out through the gate, scout a world, fight/diplomacy/get pissed then return and report to the highest ranking military officer, be they American/Indian/German/ whatever.

As for not being able to tell due to blank uniforms, I have not seen one person salute in anyway except the American way.

all nations have the right to be represented individually in any undertaking, be it real UN or fake Sci-fi.
:beckett:

Stewart5
March 25th, 2008, 04:43 AM

And the British have never lost a war to a foreign power.
And no offence to any pro-brit yanks out there, but when you were getting the **** beaten out of ya in 'nam with your awesome firepower, we were BEATING the insurgents and rebels in Burma and Malyasia(spelling sucks) with SLR's!
Royal Marines Commando
The Parachute Regiment
The Pathfinders
The RAF Regiment
The Gurkhas
The SBS
and of course SAS
And, no offence again, but u realise our basic infantry are better trained than your Marine corps, and almost as well trained as your Rangers?
And the Russians are less well equipped than us, but u give them a ship, so ur point?

Heaven
March 25th, 2008, 05:54 AM
And the British have never lost a war to a foreign power.

except the american revolution ;)

Heaven
March 25th, 2008, 05:56 AM
And the Russians are less well equipped than us, but u give them a ship, so ur point?
the real question is, can they afford it?
a 304 probably costs billions, can the UK really afford that kind of money without revealing where its going?

Stewart5
March 25th, 2008, 06:03 AM
Actually, pretty easily. See, when the government says 'we don't have a big enough budget for...' they really do. a certain LARGE percentage of the nations money does not get spent on war/NHS/roads etc, but goes in a kitty. That is then used to pay politicians exuberant wages, and a lot of it remains untouched. The figures given to the public are very different to the true story.
Also, if we abandoned our 'policing' action in Iraq, the UN and NATO allowed Britian to leave Afgahnistan and send someone else in our place, we'd have a whole lot more to spend

ykickamoocow
March 25th, 2008, 06:03 AM

If the British had a easy way of moving troops from England to America then that wouldnt have been the case. America was just too far away so they were unable to launch a effective campaign.

Stewart5
March 25th, 2008, 06:05 AM

I may add, I said foreign power. At the time, america was not foreign, they were brits. U only became 'foreign' after you won. It was a civil war!
hehehe

dropstitch
March 25th, 2008, 08:04 AM
It seems no matter where you go on the web you'll never be short of Brits and Americans having a pissing contest.

I'm British, I don't have any problems with America and I like to think America on the whole has no major problems with me.*

*Except for that time I accidently broke a hand dryer in a New York hotel rest room, but let's not go there.

dropstitch
March 25th, 2008, 08:05 AM
Besides, may I remind you it was a British man who built the engines for the F302.

*cough*

Wraith My Mind
March 26th, 2008, 12:38 PM
I agree !!! If ya going the Welsh way ( The Prince of Wales) The Welsh flag has a Dragon, why not use that to add power to a name !!!???

hell to the yer for the welsh!!!! iv not seen ny welsh people in atlantis and we do rock, no wraith would be match for a welsh woman with a strong south wales accent im sure!!! bit of welsh blood would be awesome!!!

marielabbott
March 26th, 2008, 03:02 PM
I'd love to see a Brit in Atlantis. And other nationalities too. I've always found it kind of unbelievable that the best and the brightest in the world mostly turn out to be American. Also, I'm guessing the ancient gene would be present in more countries than just the U.S.

Someone mentioned Grodin having a South African accent. According to IMDB (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0998268/), they were right. The actor was born there and immigrated to Canada when he was a child.

Merlin1701
April 1st, 2008, 08:13 AM
perhaps the lack of a strong UK contingient on atlantis could be because we are building our own vessels to support the growing earth fleet.

Stewart5
April 3rd, 2008, 01:12 AM
If the British had a easy way of moving troops from England to America then that wouldnt have been the case. America was just too far away so they were unable to launch a effective campaign.

And we also had a fool for a commander. one hundred years earlier, or fifty years later, and Wellington or Malrborough had been in command, the US would still have the queen on their money.

Stewart5
April 3rd, 2008, 01:29 AM
perhaps the lack of a strong UK contingient on atlantis could be because we are building our own vessels to support the growing earth fleet.

Oh, dude/dudette, if only. But there is no God who would do this for us.
Goddess Fate has had enough of the Brits for a while. hahahahaha
I say the ships would be HMS Lorcan, Indefatigable and Victory! Hahaha! FTW.:beckett:

ykickamoocow
April 3rd, 2008, 01:35 AM
Oh, dude/dudette, if only. But there is no God who would do this for us.
Goddess Fate has had enough of the Brits for a while. hahahahaha
I say the ships would be HMS Lorcan, Indefatigable and Victory! Hahaha! FTW.:beckett:

HMS Victory is a good one but i also like HMS Invincible and HMS Terrible :)

KindlyKeller
April 3rd, 2008, 01:43 AM
I'd love to see a Brit in Atlantis. And other nationalities too. I've always found it kind of unbelievable that the best and the brightest in the world mostly turn out to be American. Also, I'm guessing the ancient gene would be present in more countries than just the U.S.

I don't think it's unbelievable, but I do agree that I'd love to see more extra-nationals on Atlantis. I'd like to see some Australians too, just for the cool accents.

ykickamoocow
April 3rd, 2008, 01:47 AM
I don't think it's unbelievable, but I do agree that I'd love to see more extra-nationals on Atlantis. I'd like to see some Australians too, just for the cool accents.

Nothing better than when people tell you that you have a cool accent :D

KindlyKeller
April 3rd, 2008, 01:49 AM
And we also had a fool for a commander. one hundred years earlier, or fifty years later, and Wellington or Malrborough had been in command, the US would still have the queen on their money.

That's quite a bold presumption there. I'd say the outcome of the war had a heck of a lot more to do with the spiteful participation of the French than it did Thomas Gage, William Howe, or Henry Clinton.

Reefgirl
April 3rd, 2008, 01:49 AM

There is a shore base called HMS Daedalus here in Gosport

*edit*

http://www.stargatecaps.com/sga/s4/410/mortalcoil0505.jpgNeither actor's were British so it doesn't really count, I thought Grodin was Spanish when I first heard him

The Queen Elizabeth and The Prince Of Wales. Just don't pack as much of a punch and the Invincible or the Ark Royal, do they?:(
a picture of Invincible and Ark Royal taken by me about 5 years ago in Portsmouth Harbour
http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m274/Reefgirl3/Misc/HMSArkRoyalHMSInvincible.jpg

Send in the SAS and the Royal Marines, that'll have the Wraith and the Asurans running for cover

get SAS tbh

EDIT: added spoiler tag's as requested
At least he looks like a soldier (at least some of the armed force's personel I'm come face to face with, he does) not everyone is an American pretty-boy,

hell to the yer for the welsh!!!! iv not seen ny welsh people in atlantis and we do rock, no wraith would be match for a welsh woman with a strong south wales accent im sure!!! bit of welsh blood would be awesome!!!
The Welsh are currently protecting the world from Aliens courtesy of Torchwood ;)

Or we're fighting Aliens our own way, thanks to UNIT, Torchwood and The Doctor

KindlyKeller
April 3rd, 2008, 01:51 AM
Nothing better than when people tell you that you have a cool accent :D

You do, for sure! And a beautiful country. Brisbane and London are my two favorite cities.

EmSyd
April 4th, 2008, 05:58 AM
It would be nice to see more brits on the show. May be not just on atlantis, but may be there could be a world where the people have british accents (notice the 's' on the end, there is more then one).

Stewart5
April 9th, 2008, 04:21 AM
You do, for sure! And a beautiful country. Brisbane and London are my two favorite cities.

I agree, Oz is a beautiful country

And accent wise, they come third only to Northern Irish (awesoome) and the daddy of accents, the Scottish lowlander! (Not yer Aberdonian, nor your Glasgow slang)

Rock on!

Stewart5
April 9th, 2008, 04:25 AM
Send in the SAS and the Royal Marines, that'll have the Wraith and the Asurans running for cover

Here's what we do. Send in the 3rd battlaion Regiment of Scotland
4.5 Commando Roayal Marines and a detachment SAS