This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bring Back The Gate Campaign

I was going to post this in the Deepest Darkets desires thread, but figured it needed its' own thread.

So here it is, the Offical Bring Back The Gate Campaign thread.

If there is one thing I've always wanted from Atlantis but have NEVER gotten is to see them use the Stargate. You never see anybody walk through it or even see it dialed anymore. It's called "Stargate" Atlantis for reason. Does anybody else miss this? If they're off world the episode always start off with them already being off world. Or, it cuts to them walking from the gate if they're required to go off world mid-episode. I want to see the gate dialed, and people WALKING through it.

I don't want hear any of these excuses either:

1. Production costs are too high to add the gate effects - SG-1 did it for ten years.

2. It takes up too much time that could be used for storytelling - SG-1 did it for ten years.

3. They have a Puddle Jumper so they don't have to walk through the gate anymore - SG teams have been going through the gate for a decade without a PJ.

4. They have the Daedalus now, and it's totally rad so they don't have to use the gate that much. - SG teams went off world without space fairing ships for the first 7 years.

If you agree, let me know

Spoiler:
    Atlantis isn't SG-1.

Comment

Originally posted by jrd231 View Post
      I was going to post this in the Deepest Darkets desires thread, but figured it needed its' own thread.

If there is one thing I've always wanted from Atlantis but have NEVER gotten is to see them use the Stargate. You never see anybody walk through it or even see it dialed anymore. It's called "Stargate" Atlantis for reason. Does anybody else miss this? If they're off world the episode always start off with them already being off world. Or, it cuts to them walking from the gate if they're required to go off world mid-episode. I want to see the gate dialed, and people WALKING through it.

1. Production costs are too high to add the gate effects - SG-1 did it for ten years.

2. It takes up too much time that could be used for storytelling - SG-1 did it for ten years.

3. They have a Puddle Jumper so they don't have to walk through the gate anymore - SG teams have been going through the gate for a decade without a PJ.

4. They have the Daedalus now, and it's totally rad so they don't have to use the gate that much. - SG teams went off world without space fairing ships for the first 7 years.

Atlantis is part of the Stargate franchise. However, Atlantis is about the city, her people, and their lives in the Pegasus galaxy. Not about the gate. Just as Universe is supposed to be about a ship sailing thru space (at least, that's what I've heard, haven't been following it's development). The "Stargate" in the title references it's connection to the franchise.

Don't like it, too bad.

That said, there's been several gate episodes. "38 Minutes", "First Strike", and there's another but I can't remember.
      http://www.change.gov

The reason you should vote Republican in 2010.

Comment

Originally posted by rarocks24 View Post
        Atlantis is part of the Stargate franchise. However, Atlantis is about the city, her people, and their lives in the Pegasus galaxy. Not about the gate. Just as Universe is supposed to be about a ship sailing thru space (at least, that's what I've heard, haven't been following it's development). The "Stargate" in the title references it's connection to the franchise.

Don't like it, too bad.

That said, there's been several gate episodes. "38 Minutes", "First Strike", and there's another but I can't remember.
        Just like previous poster said

Episodes like "Critical Mass", "Home" has been focused on the gate for some part.

"Rising", "The Storm", "The defiant one", "Suspicion", "Letter from pegasus" has also included the gate activating, and thats for season 1 only, except critical mass.

Comment

Originally posted by jenks View Post
          Spoiler:
          Atlantis isn't SG-1.
          Spoiler:
          apparently not
          Stolen Kosovo
          sigpic

Comment

Have you got a chant/rap for your campaign yet?

"Bring back teh gate..."

Comment

Well, the problem with shifting the focus to the Gate is that they have kind of shot themselves in the foot with the Wraith concept. Because the Wraith prevent planets from getting too advanced there's really no need for them to go exploring beyond Daniel-esque anthropological purposes. And even if they did that, I think we all would agree that hearing "Our culture was doing great until the Wraith showed up" week after week would be tiresome.

SG1 went through the gate to find advanced technology and had many fun adventures while not finding it on less advanced planets and finding it and not being allowed to take it on advanced ones. On Atlantis, this isn't possible beyond the search for more ZPMs. They have advanced technology already, both from Earth and from what they found on Atlantis.

The solutions to all this found for the Genii and the Travelers were creative. However, they can't be used again. "Oh look, another underground civilization!" would become tedious quickly.

So, the current set up for Atlantis makes it impossible for a lot of gate-based stories both because of how epicly bad the producers made the Wraith and because "Atlantis 1" is missing a "Daniel" to be absolutely fascinated with everything he finds on the other side. Perhaps the non-"Daniel" situation will change in season 5 (Dr. Porter or whatever she's called now?), but they can't reverse what they've set up as a reality with the Wraith.

As much as I miss the gate journeys as well, because of all this, I know there won't be very many for Atlantis. It's best to just embrace the show as it is.
              sigpic

Comment

I don't understand this problem with them not showing the gate activating or showing every moment of them using it. It's been shown thousands of times! I'd rather have 30 seconds to a minute of more action, information, or whatever rather then, 'click...click...click...click...click...click...click...sawoosh' everyone walks through... camera switch to gate room... you get the point. Why does that need to happen at every opportunity?

Comment

Originally posted by Myles View Post
                  I don't understand this problem with them not showing the gate activating or showing every moment of them using it. It's been shown thousands of times! I'd rather have 30 seconds to a minute of more action, information, or whatever rather then, 'click...click...click...click...click...click...click...sawoosh' everyone walks through... camera switch to gate room... you get the point. Why does that need to happen at every opportunity?
                  I agree with this. The gate is used in plenty of episodes.
                  sigpic
                  385 Heroes coming Home

Here's to smart Mods

Comment

Clearly I am the only one who wants MOAR GATE.

Although you all make valid points, I sitll want MOAR GATE.

Comment

In the last three seasons of Atlantis and SG-1, it has seemed like emphasis has shifted from stargates to starships.

Comment

Of course the Stargate should always be an important part of the franchise, but so far I haven't noticed it being neglected too much.

Comment

i like SGA with the 304. sg1 stepped through the gate for 10 years. now can we finally see different things? there was a "chevron one encoded" joke in "rising" wich was funny, as sga doesnt do that. its purely a walter/sg1 thing.

like the dialing. sg1 was click spin click spin click spin click spin click spin click spin click spin kawoosh

sga is clickclickclickclickclickclickclick kawoosh

for sg1 its ok. for sga , you need the quick dial. it was made by the ancients for cryin out loud

Comment

Originally posted by jrd231 View Post

You are tough to please. They show the gate plenty of times but they don't always dial from Atlantis. Not a big deal. However Atlantis is about the City of the Ancients not the gate itself.

And the excessive costs of having the gate as well as the extensive cost of the show got it canceled. They don't have to show going through the gate on Atlantis and the gate on the other end. It does save costs for the bigger and better effects.

No they didn't. They didn't always show dialing the gate at the SGC and going through it and arriving at the destination.

This is not SG-1. If you want SG-1 watch SG-1.
                            Proud Sam/Jack and Daniel/Vala and John/Teyla Shipper!
                            "We're Americans! Shoot the guys following us!"
                            Don S. Davis 1942-2008 R.I.P. My Friend.

Comment

Originally posted by Amalthea View Post
                              Well, the problem with shifting the focus to the Gate is that they have kind of shot themselves in the foot with the Wraith concept. Because the Wraith prevent planets from getting too advanced there's really no need for them to go exploring beyond Daniel-esque anthropological purposes.
                              That's why Daniel's coming on-board for S5. I'd trade Keller and Teyla any day to have rotating SG-1 members (Jack, Sam, Daniel & Teal'c) more frequently.
                              sigpic
                              "Most of our John Sheppard impressions sound more like a demented Jimmy Stewart than Joe Flanigan."
                              ~David Hewlett

Comment

Working...
                              X