PDA

View Full Version : AOT #1 at Amazon

JLP4A
March 1st, 2008, 01:59 PM
I know there's a thread for AOT going strong, but I figured this achievement deserved its own page.

As of March 1 5:58 PM, AOT is #1 in DVDs at Amazon!!!

I think we just got our third movie. :)

The.Road.Not.Taken
March 1st, 2008, 02:05 PM
I know there's a thread for AOT going strong, but I figured this achievement deserved its own page.

my god i hope we got our third movie i am really looking foward to this one wooooo!!

Stargateboy22
March 1st, 2008, 02:05 PM

Best post I've read all day. Thanks:jack_new_anime07: :sam59:

Col.Foley
March 1st, 2008, 02:08 PM
Dang! Go Ark of Truth. We have pre ordered our copy already, and I do also hope that we get our third movie. Ark of Truthy has the ptential for being a really epic movie.

Rocky89
March 1st, 2008, 02:17 PM
Best post I've read all day. Thanks:jack_new_anime07: :sam59:

:indeed: it is

Go Ark of Truth!!!

3rd movie come on down

the fifth man
March 1st, 2008, 06:30 PM
If this doesn't earn us another movie, I don't know what will. That is great news to hear. I did my part by ordering a copy. And convinced some other people I know to do the same.

Orlin2000
March 1st, 2008, 08:58 PM
Fantastic news....:yu::sokaranime02:

Shan Bruce Lee
March 1st, 2008, 11:14 PM
That's awesome. Especially considering most people don't pre-order :)
I didn't think a third movie depended on AoT doing this good but w/e.

Crichiel
March 2nd, 2008, 12:52 AM
TPTB at MGM better be paying attention here! Go AoT!!! :) Amazingly, it is going this strong wiith almost no decent marketing campaign that I have seen. :( And a "Boo! Hiss!" to all those slamming the movie, I have only seen clips and love it already! I will be pre-ordering a SECOND copy (for a gift) when I get a chance tomorrow.

The.Road.Not.Taken
March 2nd, 2008, 02:25 AM
TPTB at MGM better be paying attention here! Go AoT!!! :) Amazingly, it is going this strong wiith almost no decent marketing campaign that I have seen. :( And a "Boo! Hiss!" to all those slamming the movie, I have only seen clips and love it already! I will be pre-ordering a SECOND copy (for a gift) when I get a chance tomorrow.

woo keep going order order order!!! i am gonna order mine soon becuase i wont get it when it comes out because it wil be out of stock

Egle01
March 2nd, 2008, 02:48 AM
I know it some time now, but still love that AoT is going so strong! Better than I dared to hope for. :rolleyes:

Integrabyte
March 2nd, 2008, 05:39 AM

Go figure :P , and JM whined that people will not buy it after seeing the unfinished version :D

ancientalliance
March 2nd, 2008, 08:08 AM
This deserves a celebratory viewing party!!! (yeah, I'll use any excuse to have one :D )

btw - I just checked and it still holds that rank! Two parties now!!! :D

user998413167984131
March 2nd, 2008, 08:17 AM
I;ve already pre-ordered myne. Why cant we in the uk get it early like they did in america?

The.Road.Not.Taken
March 2nd, 2008, 08:28 AM
I;ve already pre-ordered myne. Why cant we in the uk get it early like they did in america?

who knows who knows??

blitzsnake
March 2nd, 2008, 08:33 AM
Great news. The movie is really good and I hope they make more.

Blistna
March 2nd, 2008, 08:35 AM

But you get to watch it free on Sky One :-D

Calhoun
March 2nd, 2008, 11:50 AM
But you get to watch it free on Sky One :-D

Not if we don't get Sky One, we can't. *grumble*Virgin Media*grumble*

Besides, I'd rather pay for the DVD anyway, do my bit to try and get a third movie commissioned. Plus, I'd like AoT to do a bit better on the Amazon.co.uk DVD listing... it's currently in a rather pathetic #59 position.

The.Road.Not.Taken
March 2nd, 2008, 12:49 PM

Besides, I'd rather pay for the DVD anyway, do my bit to try and get a third movie commissioned. Plus, I'd like AoT to do a bit better on the Amazon.co.uk DVD listing... it's currently in a rather pathetic #59 position.

i am still gonna watch it and buy the movie :D

flynn1959
March 2nd, 2008, 01:34 PM

I agree I lost Sky just before the final few episodes of season ten!

I think that the reason it's not doing so well on Amazon UK is a lot of people, myself included, ordered from the US.

any_gopher
March 2nd, 2008, 05:18 PM
I agree I lost Sky just before the final few episodes of season ten!

I think that the reason it's not doing so well on Amazon UK is a lot of people, myself included, ordered from the US.

Yikes! That sucks! Right before the end they cut you off!? Did you get caught up??

Nicksterr
March 2nd, 2008, 05:53 PM
Wow, didn't know this. Very cool. Hope people keep pre-ordering =p.

the fifth man
March 2nd, 2008, 06:11 PM
Just goes to show that Stargate may be bigger than most of us think it is.

ancientalliance
March 2nd, 2008, 06:36 PM
Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but AOT has slipped to #2....:( ... those darn dalmations :D

gange57
March 2nd, 2008, 07:51 PM
Can somebody explain why people get excited over Amazon sales?

flynn1959
March 2nd, 2008, 11:38 PM
Yikes! That sucks! Right before the end they cut you off!? Did you get caught up??

Oh yeah, thanks to a very good friend who recorded them for me.:) It isn't just me either, over half the population of the UK lost Sky one overnight and still don't have it on thier cable package.:( If there had been a season eleven I was going to switch to satelite but didn't bother when the show was cancelled.

Crichiel
March 2nd, 2008, 11:41 PM
Can somebody explain why people get excited over Amazon sales?

Uh....because Amazon is huge in the industry of book/dvd/etc sales and high sales (and thus a good ranking) on Amazon will help give the franchise some clout when it comes to deciding on whether or not to make more movies.

flynn1959
March 2nd, 2008, 11:42 PM
Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but AOT has slipped to #2....:( ... those darn dalmations :D

That's not really bad news, it wasn't going to stay in the top spot for long that's not the way these things work. A lot of people will buy it when it hits the shops and of course there are a lot of other places on the net to order this movie. This is just for Amazon US.

That it made it to number one at all is fantastic news, I'd imagine tptb are clicking thier heels with joy! AOT is a massive hit and quite right too for such an amazing movie.:)

gange57
March 3rd, 2008, 04:35 AM
Uh....because Amazon is huge in the industry of book/dvd/etc sales and high sales (and thus a good ranking) on Amazon will help give the franchise some clout when it comes to deciding on whether or not to make more movies.

Amazon is just one retailer. Online sales, while growing, are still trumped by B&M. Amazon is not an proper index to gauge success and therefore the future of more movies.

jenks
March 3rd, 2008, 05:47 AM
It's still a good indicator, and definitely the best we've got.

ancientalliance
March 3rd, 2008, 12:35 PM
Amazon is just one retailer. Online sales, while growing, are still trumped by B&M. Amazon is not an proper index to gauge success and therefore the future of more movies.

pardon my ignorance, but what is B&M?

Ladyinred
March 3rd, 2008, 12:54 PM

Well, the official MGM Stargate website directs you to Amazon.com, so I'd say Amazon is really important for MGM.

Annubis' hitman
March 3rd, 2008, 12:55 PM
I've already pre-ordered my copy. This is really awesome. As previous have said this means the chances of a third movie are better.

gange57
March 3rd, 2008, 02:24 PM
It's still a good indicator, and definitely the best we've got.

It's not even a good indicator. Anyone who follows video game sales can attest to this. Every month NPD releases video game sales in the US and every month someone will inevitably ask, "Why are sales for X so low? It was selling so well on Amazon." It's because online sales, particularly Amazon, make up for a fraction of the overall sales. And it's definitely not the best available. The best would be any resource that uses Nielsen VideoScan (http://www.nielsen.com/solutions/videoscan.html) like Billboard. These are more indicative of sales than Amazon's numbers ever will be.

pardon my ignorance, but what is B&M?

B&M = Brick and Mortar (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bricks_and_mortar_business), meaning a company that uses a physical store for business.

Well, the official MGM Stargate website directs you to Amazon.com, so I'd say Amazon is really important for MGM.

I think it's less about importance and more about familiarity and generating additional revenue. Amazon has brand recognition. It would make more sense using Amazon than DeepDiscount. More importantly, I think MGM is making money when their website directs traffic to Amazon. I know Darren has said in the past that GW will receive a commission if people buy stuff on Amazon via GW's links. Each of these will direct you to AoT, but the URLs are noticeably different. The first one is taken directly from Amazon and the second is from MGM.

http://www.amazon.com/Stargate-Ark-Truth-Ben-Browder/dp/B0010YSD7M/ref=xs_gb_20_left-3_rw_uk_B0010YSD7M?pf_rd_p=305206101&pf_rd_s=center-3&pf_rd_t=701&pf_rd_i=20&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0TKTVCQ782DNCA5HFCHZ

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0010YSD7M?ie=UTF8&tag=lrn2007-20

ancientalliance
March 3rd, 2008, 02:44 PM
Well, I think that anything that shows that AOT is even higher up than the big hollywood blockbusters is a good thing... personally I'll be at Best Buy Tuesday morning to pick up my copy 'cause I don't want to wait for them to mail it to me...

Crichiel
March 3rd, 2008, 04:26 PM

Accurate guide or not, I have read many interviews online and industry magazines that reference Amazon's and Barnes and Noble's pre-order sales as evidence for how well books and DVDs are or are not doing.

2ndgenerationalteran
March 3rd, 2008, 09:40 PM
Dont want to make a thread for this but on the 11th will AoT be at retailers like best buy, circuit city and Kmart? And if so how much would it be?

ancientalliance
March 4th, 2008, 05:12 AM
Dont want to make a thread for this but on the 11th will AoT be at retailers like best buy, circuit city and Kmart? And if so how much would it be?

I would imagine that it'll be around the same price as Amazon.... the week of it's release Best Buy tends to put new titles on sale.

ancientalliance
March 5th, 2008, 09:11 AM
Update: AOT is still holding strong in third at approx. 1:10p est time

Integrabyte
March 5th, 2008, 09:55 AM
Update: AOT is still holding strong in third at approx. 1:10p est time

Third? :(. Oh well, there goes the neighbourhood :P

ancientalliance
March 5th, 2008, 09:57 AM
Third? :(. Oh well, there goes the neighbourhood :P

Yeah, it was trumped by the new Bourne Trilogy.... my thought is, who wants Bourne when you can have another 'gate? ;)

Integrabyte
March 5th, 2008, 09:58 AM
Yeah, it was trumped by the new Bourne Trilogy.... my thought is, who wants Bourne when you can have another 'gate? ;)

Obviously more people than we think :P

Pharaoh Atem
March 5th, 2008, 10:02 AM
beaten by movie with dogs LOL BSG season 3 is holding well in 4th :D

ancientalliance
March 5th, 2008, 10:06 AM
beaten by movie with dogs LOL BSG season 3 is holding well in 4th :D

That's fine with me as long as BSG doen't overtake AOT...

Pharaoh Atem
March 5th, 2008, 10:19 AM
That's fine with me as long as BSG doen't overtake AOT...

it did at one point

the fifth man
March 5th, 2008, 07:13 PM
No matter what, AOT has been, and IMO, will continue to sell very well.

flynn1959
March 5th, 2008, 11:51 PM
No matter what, AOT has been, and IMO, will continue to sell very well.

Yes. And let's not forget that it hasn't even hit the shops yet! This rating is only for Amazon US. That it made number one at all is amazing and a wonderful achievment for an amazing movie. :)

There is no doubt that AOT is a huge success, tptb have to be pleased and if Continuum does even half as well a third movie and hopefully more are assured. This is very good news.:)

ancientalliance
March 6th, 2008, 08:01 AM
Update: AOT has rebounded to the number two spot on the bestseller's list! :)

ancientalliance
March 9th, 2008, 07:13 AM
update: As, of this morning it's back up to the #1 spot. Keep it up AOT!

Integrabyte
March 9th, 2008, 08:18 AM
update: As, of this morning it's back up to the #1 spot. Keep it up AOT!

That is good news :D

Stargater34
March 13th, 2008, 03:53 PM
Glad to see its still #1 two days later.

Mitchell82
March 13th, 2008, 06:09 PM
Glad to see its still #1 two days later.

It's back at number 1?! Nice!

Fenrir Foxz
March 13th, 2008, 06:11 PM
It's back at number 1?! Nice!

Awsome! :D

ancientalliance
March 13th, 2008, 06:29 PM
I think it's so fantastic that it has maintained it's #1 status.... besides the fact that it was an incredibly awesome movie in it's own right. :)