Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are Greenburg's Comments a Negotiating Tactic?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are Greenburg's Comments a Negotiating Tactic?

In reference to Michael Greenburg's comments to the Stargate Mag, reported in the Gateworld News...

Anyone besides me wondering if those comments are a calcuated effort by either TPTB in general, or Greenburg by himself to give a nudge to stalled negotiations? The reference to short term financial considerations especially glared out at me.

Sounds like a tactic to me, but then, I'm inclined to think negatively where TPTB are concerned.

Comment

"The SCI FI network, MGM and their parent companies would be crazy to stop the franchise for short term financial reasons. The Stargate SG-1 brand has the potential to be bigger than Star Trek."
      "Richard Dean Anderson, aside from being a great actor, is a big star. A huge television star! It would be a big loss. But the Stargate SG-1 brand and franchise is obviously strong enough to get big numbers on its own. Stargate Atlantis is showing that."
      Those are pretty bold comments. I think he might be playing with fire here because if he starts thinking like this it could backfire drastically. What if they get the go ahead for season nine and RDA isn't there? And the ratings slide drastically?

I don't know. They're interesting comments alright.

(Quotes taken from the Gateworld article, "Greenburg: 'They would be crazy to stop'" October 19, 2004, which can be found here.)
      "You ended that sentence with a preposition!!" - Jack O'Niell

My DVD Collection

Comment

It's safe to assume that Atlantis will go to season 2. I don't think SG-1 would be the same without RDA, then again Jonas was really good in season 6, so there is always hope after losing a main character, look at Babylon 5. RDA is working so little right now anyway, that if they can keep him to work the same amount of time he's working now, Season 9 could definetly work.

Comment

anything is possible.
          I know, last year at about this time, there were rumors of two new cast members being added, and i don't know all the details and don't remember them, but there was the feeling that the rumor, started by scifi, IIRC, was a tactic to tell whomever was waffling on signing 'hey, you CAN be replaced'

no one will ever know for sure other than the parties involved and the fly that was on the wall
          Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Major Fischer
            In reference to Michael Greenburg's comments to the Stargate Mag, reported in the Gateworld News...

Anyone besides me wondering if those comments are a calcuated effort by either TPTB in general, or Greenburg by himself to give a nudge to stalled negotiations? The reference to short term financial considerations especially glared out at me.
            Oh yeah, caught that little phrase when I read the article last night.

You mean MONEY -- not RDA's availability or AT's pregnancy or Krispy Kremes or lack of Luke or threads about why there's no season 9 -- could be the cause of no season 9??!!

Inconceivable!
            Life is hard...and it's harder if you're stupid

Comment

I think the only thing this puts to rest is that AT's pregnacy has nothing to do with if there will be a 9th season. Which I was sure of to start with.

Yes, money, is always the ultimate reason.

Comment

Originally posted by Major Fischer
                I think the only thing this puts to rest is that AT's pregnacy has nothing to do with if there will be a 9th season. Which I was sure of to start with.
                Me too. Thank goodness.

Originally posted by MajorFischer
                Yes, money, is always the ultimate reason.
                I've wondered if MGM wasn't going to pressure Scifi to pick up more of the increasing cost of the series, especially since it's such a big ratings winner for Scifi. I would be if I were MGM.

If I were an exec at MGM-TV I'd sure want my division to look profitable to Sony so they'd want to keep current production going. I seem to recall Brad Wright remarking in an interview that MGM really hasn't made much money on the series since about season 5.
                Life is hard...and it's harder if you're stupid

Comment

Well, with Sony having purchased MGM and all its property, that should give the Stargate franchise some financial gain, though according to Brad Wright and Robert C Cooper, Stargate in general has really overextended their resources. Especially when they picked up the spinoff series.
                  Red counter: 14 Dings and growing.

Green (positive) JELLO donations are always welcome

Mckay: Oh my god, He IS Kirk...

Comment

there is also something else to be added to teh money front. and i mean this with all due respect to the writers, but it seems obvious, at least to me and a few others, that the writers are horribly stretched. for the most part, we have the same group of people trying to do double the work

to me, atlantis is getting the focus, which makes sense (and i'm not trying to start a debate here) but it makes stargate suffer.

i would THINK, if they were pressing for a s9, not only would we have the requisite raises for all involved, but i could see the need to hire some more writers. and having no idea at all, or caring, what they get paid, that could also be contributing to the cost of the show.

it's POSSIBLE that why we haven't heard about a s9 may have nothing at all to do with rick or amanda or luke or donuts, but, like someone said, scifi and mgm haggering over who is picking up how much of the increasing cost of the show.
                    Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

The WB's loosing of BtVS after season 5, and the cancelation of Angel weren't about ratings, but about money. Success to a network is always the bottom line, not nessisarily ratings.
                      Carter: Navigation? O'Neill: Check. Carter: Oxygen, Pressure, Temperature Control?
                      O'Neill: Check. Carter: Internal Dampeners? O'Neill: Cool!, and Check. Carter: Engine?
                      O'Neill: All Check. O'Neill: Phasers? Carter: Sorry Sir.

Comment

Well, for Stargate, Success has definitely picked up since Sci Fi brought the series over, seeing as how Showtime didnt want to go for another season *Would have been for #6 at the time I believe*, so that and the syndication as well as Conventions, DVD sales, all of which are contributing to the success, and also to the ratings. But I agree with Skydiver that the writers are pulling double duty, whereas if they brought on new writers to focus the series to their own, it would definitely help. Brad Wright and Greenburg have both said that they easily have enough storyline/plot/original material for another 3 years (not including 8). So storyline is not an issue, its getting the writers to be able to do their work, and not try to cut corners with both shows.

Comment

Originally posted by Larry
                          The WB's loosing of BtVS after season 5, and the cancelation of Angel weren't about ratings, but about money. Success to a network is always the bottom line, not nessisarily ratings.
                          Money is the bottom line. Doesn't matter how well the show does if they can't get advertisers, etc. In this case, while it looks like sG1 cast/crew are willing to work, is MGM willing to give pay increases, foot the bill for another season. It all depends if the SOny/MGM merger sees that they make money off it. If they see that they can do the same with Atlantis, then...well, we'll watch SG1 tapes instead

Comment

You mean DVDs. Tapes are so yesterday.

Comment

Oh, and for the person who gave me a grey rep point for my "sleazy signature." You would have to know the story behind it because the tone of the voice it is said in is what makes it funny...

(and to think the person actually put me on IGNORE, whoever it is)

Comment

Working...
                              X