Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Goa'uld Ribbon Device: Who'd they knick it off?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Goa'uld Ribbon Device: Who'd they knick it off?

Ive been thinking about the Goa'uld Ribbon Device lately and have wondered how they came across it. I think that it was like the Stargate and Ring Transpoters an Ancient device that they scavenged.

With this in mind it brought up other ideas like the need for naquada in the bloodstream for it to function, perhaps this was a precursor to the ata gene or maybe the reason naquada is necessary is that it used to amplify the psionic/thought energy from the brain into the device. Maybe seeing as the Ancients had stronger minds the naquada might not have been needed for them to utilise them.

It might have been cool if this had been explored in Pegasus having the Ancients/Asurans sporting Ribbon Devices instead of their other weapons.

This could also hold for the Healing Devices, tech that replicates the healing power shown by some Ancients.
    sigpic

They're probably reverse engineered from other technology (possibly Ancient) and the naqahdah requirement is probably something that they added since blending introduced it into the bloodstream of the host, therefore only a Goa'uld could use the technology.

The Goa'uld, in their arrogance, probably never believed that a host would be free of a Goa'uld and they probably never even considered that any of the Goa'uld would rise up to oppose them.

Comment

Why'd they have to steal it from anyone. They may very well have created it themselves.
      All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing-Edmund Burke

The question which once haunted my being has been answered. The future is not fixed, and my choices are my own... and yet, how ironic! For I now find, I have no choice at all! I am warrior... let the battle be joined.-Dinobot-Code of Hero

Don't blame me, I voted Cthulhu

Comment

Originally posted by jds1982 View Post
        Why'd they have to steal it from anyone. They may very well have created it themselves.
        Because they stole most of their technology from other races. It's impossible to know what was independently developed, but most of it was "re-appropriated" from other races.

As for the hand-held healing device, it's probably a smaller, portable version of the sarcophagus, which itself was adapted from Ancient technology.

Comment

Let's explore everything else too: staff weapon, zat, flash grenades, star ship designs, shields, genetic engineering, mind control chemical, zatark laser, how they thought up their names, clothing, various trinkets, ect.

The point is you can think up an infinite list of things they probably stole, but you'll never find out where they got it from. Of course, there's always the option of worshiping the Goa'uld and hoping one comes to earth only to find you asking it where it got all its cool tech from. I'm almost certain the Goa'uld will get mad and kill you with the ribbon device you're asking about. Your only only hope is to ask the Tokra.
          Zero Point Energy by 0 Kelvin: Just go to Wikipedia, type in Absolute 0, hit enter. It'll save a little bit of my time and effort.

better to be wrong and alive than right and dead

sigpic

Comment

There's just too much possibilities and function in the kara kesh to trace its roots with enough certainty.

Besides, the Goa'uld are not only capable of understand alien technology, but they're also known to develop new ones from time to time - I mean, from the moment you can retroengineer crazy tech, you're smart enough to think of some.
            The Al'kesh is not a warship - Info on Naqahdah & Naqahdria - Firepower of Goa'uld staff weapons - Everything about Hiveships and the Wraith - An idea about what powers Destiny...

Comment

I'd say they developed it themselves. Judgeing from it's function and how it seems soley designed as a form of prtection and to create the most amount of pain in a person as possible.
              Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

the Goa'uld stole items, but also Ideas.

Annubis is known to have used a hovering robotic scanner with shields, long range communications, and weapons.

This was only after years of the SGC sending in unarmed, non shielded, rolling scanner's with short range communications.

The goa'uld took the idea and made it better, and more suited to what they need.

For example http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grenade Just look down through the pictures. EAch one does essentially the same thing, yet there is a wide variety of styles.

Comment

Originally posted by peragrin View Post
                  Annubis is known to have used a hovering robotic scanner with shields, long range communications, and weapons.
                  He totally stole that from the Empire.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeffala
                    He totally stole that from the Empire.
                    heh, he even stole his looks from the emperor

Comment

Originally posted by SoulRe@ver View Post
                      heh, he even stole his looks from the emperor
                      That guy haunts like every sci-fi show.

Comment

Originally posted by Crazy Tom View Post
                        That guy haunts like every sci-fi show.
                        True, my sister always seems to find him some how. And he doesn't even have a sybiote to take people over any more.
                        Zero Point Energy by 0 Kelvin: Just go to Wikipedia, type in Absolute 0, hit enter. It'll save a little bit of my time and effort.

better to be wrong and alive than right and dead

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by P-90_177 View Post
                          I'd say they developed it themselves. Judgeing from it's function and how it seems soley designed as a form of prtection and to create the most amount of pain in a person as possible.
                          Agreed. I see the ribbon device as something the gou'ald made. Though would their healing device be something they made, or reversed from the telchak device..

Comment

I would like to think that the Goa'uld created at least one thing themselves in 5,000 years and did not steal everything from someone else, so my guess is that they created it themselves and that is why you need Naquadah in you blood to use it.
                            LIKES: Half-Life, Half-Life 2, ST: DS-9, ST: TNG, Eric Clapton, GTA 4, SGU, MW + MW2, Red Dead Redemption,
                            Scarlett Johansson, Father Ted, The Portal Series, The Assassin's Creed Series, Trailer Park Boys.

DISLIKES: Reality T.V Shows and so called reality t.v stars, people who don't wear seatbelts,
                            99.999% of new Music out now, 80% of new Movies out now.

Last Game Completed: Portal 2

Last Movie Watched For The First Time: Dumbo (1941)

Comment

Originally posted by SpinningChevron View Post
                              I would like to think that the Goa'uld created at least one thing themselves in 5,000 years and did not steal everything from someone else, so my guess is that they created it themselves and that is why you need Naquadah in you blood to use it.
                              I prefer the reverse engineered idea, they could have taken the initial idea, then changed it to suit their own purposes.
                              Best quotes ever:
                              O’NEILL: I hope you like Guinness, Sir. I find it a refreshing substitute for food.
                              Jack O'neill: I hope you diplomatically told him where to shove it.
                              Teal'c:If you once again try to harm me or one of my companions, my patience with you will expire.
                              Carter: You know, you blow up one sun and suddenly everyone expects you to walk on water.
                              Thor:I like the yellow ones
                              O´Neill:Hey, if you had been listening, you´d know that Nintendos pass through everything.

Comment

Working...
                              X