PDA

View Full Version : the void between galaxys

luckylad
February 24th, 2008, 08:17 AM
In midway i believe they said there was no life in between the two galaxys but id really like there to be a race that could be nomadic who hide in the void between galaxys and thrive i dont know who it could be tho just an idea

Platschu
February 24th, 2008, 08:27 AM
In midway i believe they said there was no life in between the two galaxys but id really like there to be a race that could be nomadic who hide in the void between galaxys and thrive i dont know who it could be tho just an idea

And what are they doing without a sun?

Cory Holmes
February 24th, 2008, 08:29 AM
Exactly. Between the two galaxies there are no places to stop and refuel/resupply. No planets to get food, water, or air from makes for a very barren place to be.

Toast King
February 24th, 2008, 08:29 AM
Its not possible to live in the void between galaxies and thrive...No food, no sun light, no water, no renewable power sources, no unrenewable power sources for that matter.

How would they thrive exactly?

luckylad
February 24th, 2008, 08:31 AM
i never said planets ships more and who knows what could be in the void could be anything just think if ancients were still around in the void with there zpms or any society with advanced technology would be a good hiding ground

luckylad
February 24th, 2008, 08:34 AM
ooo and if they are advanced they could always raid other galaxies or have like staging posts in galaxys where they create some sort of power source for there main sort of outpost it was just an idea but i think it would be an interesting thing to explore

Fullforce
February 24th, 2008, 09:25 AM
They could certainly be a race on the fringes of the Galaxy. The Reapers, in Mass Effect, live in that dead void of space if I recall correctly. However, they're AI and only wake up every million years or so.

Living in the dead middle of space just isn't a feasible idea. It's much easier to sit in the space within galaxies... there's quite a lot of room there, you know.

Bagpuss
February 24th, 2008, 09:44 AM
Species 8472 in ST Voyager lived in "Fluidic space",and their physiology and survival didn't depend on the usual requirements of air,solar power, or much else that the usual alien races in Stargate need.

Is that the kind of void-type race you mean ? :)

They'd need to be written pretty well not to be seen as a Voy homage though,imo:S

The.Road.Not.Taken
February 24th, 2008, 09:47 AM
Species 8472 in ST Voyager lived in "Fluidic space",and their physiology and survival didn't depend on the usual requirements of air,solar power, or much else that the usual alien races in Stargate need.

They'd need to be written pretty well not to be seen as a Voy homage though,imo:S

but would sga really encouter them that much they don't exactly stop in the middle of the void do they excpet for the midway station they wouldn't be a very good enemy

luckylad
February 24th, 2008, 09:54 AM
yeah but the threat in between the galaxies would be a threat thats the point, or they could try and steal the stargates or something im not an episode writer :P. i just think it would be fun to explore even if they arent bad

Bagpuss
February 24th, 2008, 09:54 AM
but would sga really encouter them that much they don't exactly stop in the middle of the void do they excpet for the midway station they wouldn't be a very good enemy

Depends on the writers.If they want to have a race like that,they'll find a way..but I doubt they will really.

yeah but the threat in between the galaxies would be a threat thats the point, or they could try and steal the stargates or something im not an episode writer :P. i just think it would be fun to explore even if they arent bad
I think at least you're trying to come up with new ideas.Welcome to GW !:cool:

Blitz
February 24th, 2008, 10:41 AM
Could be done - large enough, and advanced enough space station...botony sections with fake-sun lighting...creates plantlife/water, basic eco system...staging area using gates/advanced ships....

Mitchell82
February 24th, 2008, 11:00 AM
Could be done - large enough, and advanced enough space station...botony sections with fake-sun lighting...creates plantlife/water, basic eco system...staging area using gates/advanced ships....

It could be done but most likely we would have seen some evidence of a space station or something.

jasminaGo
February 24th, 2008, 11:08 AM
I think it's possible, with the right resources.

After all SG1 spend 50years aboard the Odyssey, it didn't matter if they were in the Asguard galaxy, the MilkyWay galaxy or in bitween them, they survived only with what they had onboard.

Mitchell82
February 24th, 2008, 11:20 AM

After all SG1 spend 50years aboard the Odyssey, it didn't matter if they were in the Asguard galaxy, the MilkyWay galaxy or in bitween them, they survived only with what they had onboard.

True.

Prior_of_the_Ori
February 24th, 2008, 12:40 PM
I always personally think that the Foothold aliens from SG-1 were an extragalactic race that were travelling between galaxies in order to find a new home or something like that....

luckylad
February 24th, 2008, 01:25 PM
It could be done but most likely we would have seen some evidence of a space station or something.

as people have said there is alot of space between the two galaxies and who knows how easy it would be to stealth it all or to actually find them in the vastness of space

Blitz
February 24th, 2008, 01:57 PM

Eample...

O < PEGGY

M < MIDWAY

O < MILKY WAY

We know whats between Peggy and Milky Way, weve travelled between the two....whats on the other side of Peggy? Whats at Point 1 or 2? - Lota space out there

BubblingOverWithIdeas
February 24th, 2008, 05:15 PM

Species 8472 have resources, though. Fluidic Space is a realm filled with organic matter, primarily fluid.

No, we really wouldn't have. The void between the Milky Way and Pegasus galaxies is much, much vaster than either of those galaxies, and extends up and down as well as backwards, forwards, left, and right. There could be several hundred space stations in the void without the ships that pass through it having the slightest idea, because it would take blind luck for them to get near.

Buck32
February 24th, 2008, 08:54 PM

Sign this person up producers of SGA! except for their spelling they can't do any worse than the current ones!!

Konrad9
February 24th, 2008, 09:38 PM

Sorry, I didn't catch the part during the 3 minutes of scenes in Fluidic space where they said 'There are absolutely no planets, stars, or any kind of resources in this entire dimension/universe/galaxy.'

Konrad9
February 24th, 2008, 09:40 PM

Six (then 5) people, with very small amounts of needs, and only 50 years.

The void between galaxies would be the best place for a Dyson Sphere.
They could also try using a Project Arcturus-style power source.

Just because there aren't resources there, doesn't mean there aren't resources there ; )

zoislk
February 24th, 2008, 09:46 PM
Six (then 5) people, with very small amounts of needs, and only 50 years.

The void between galaxies would be the best place for a Dyson Sphere.
They could also try using a Project Arcturus-style power source.

Just because there aren't resources there, doesn't mean there aren't resources there ; )

If you could create or move a star to build the Dyson Sphere around, sure. But good luck with that one.

PG15
February 24th, 2008, 09:47 PM
EDIT: yeah, what ^he said.

A Dyson Sphere needs a star to work...

Bagpuss
February 24th, 2008, 10:54 PM
Species 8472 have resources, though. Fluidic Space is a realm filled with organic matter, primarily fluid.
Yes,I know.Hence "Fluidic". :)I was asking the thread starter if that was the kind of race he was hoping for.Perhaps I should have phrased it a little bit differently ?

Sorry, I didn't catch the part during the 3 minutes of scenes in Fluidic space where they said 'There are absolutely no planets, stars, or any kind of resources in this entire dimension/universe/galaxy.'
I didn't ask for a redux of Voyager.Nor do I claim an encyclopedic knowledge of ST Canon.I wanted to see what luckylad had in mind .:)
Sorry,but did I detect sarcasm in your reply ? Or perhaps you didn't mean it that way ? Hard to tell on this forum sometimes.
*Shrug*
LTS...

Have fun debating the topic.Dyson Spheres are more PG15's area of expertise than mine !;)

Aewon
February 25th, 2008, 10:39 AM
If you could create or move a star to build the Dyson Sphere around, sure. But good luck with that one.

Any civilization advanced enough to turn a yellow star into a black hole (see Asgard) or create a time-dilation bubble (Asgard, again), should be able to create a star. They only need the right elements, and a few million years (unless they're so advanced they can short-cut the process).

Mardius
February 25th, 2008, 01:30 PM

thats like sailing from New York to London and saying "no other continents on the planet, i would seen something"

we've been pretty much goin a straight line between the milky way and pegasus, now unless we discover some super cosmic mega sensors of ass whoop, im pretty sure we can never fully explore the void to know for sure

luckylad
February 26th, 2008, 02:16 AM
Sign this person up producers of SGA! except for their spelling they can't do any worse than the current ones!!

lol yeah sorry about my spelling its a mixture of unknowns and cant be bothered that makes it that bad

kymeric
February 27th, 2008, 11:34 AM
Its not really a void. Theres radiation from galaxies and interstellar hydrogen and trace elements that form to the lines of gravity between the galaxies.

Maybe a random rogue star/planet and anything else thats orbit was irregularly disturbed within a near galaxy. I suppose that it is concievable to have a rogue planet with active volcanism belching out heat and gases enough for an atmosphere and thermals. Wouldnt wanna guess at the odds of finding it out there but if anyone culda found it id bet on the lanteans. Probably have to be one of those really huge solid terrestial planets to have enough mass to survive whatever gravity effect flung it out of a galaxy.

Would have one hell of a view from there tho.

The Prophet
February 27th, 2008, 11:45 AM
Yeah, a Mobile Dyson Sphere would work wonders.

-Find a Star (possibly your own Sun if you're confident enough)
-Construct a Dyson Sphere around it (in. Planets possibly)
-Construct a Hyperspace Generator and Engines on the Dyson Sphere.
-Inertial Dampeners, or some similar device to keep the Star/ Solar System inside safe through travel.
-Jump to the Void between Galaxies.
-Update your Stargate Network. Something similar to the Midway Station perhaps, but with the Midway being the final destination.

-No, not the Prophetic-Death Final Destination.

-Enjoy.

kymeric
February 27th, 2008, 12:10 PM
Yeah, a Mobile Dyson Sphere would work wonders.

-Find a Star (possibly your own Sun if you're confident enough)
-Construct a Dyson Sphere around it (in. Planets possibly)
-Construct a Hyperspace Generator and Engines on the Dyson Sphere.
-Inertial Dampeners, or some similar device to keep the Star/ Solar System inside safe through travel.
-Jump to the Void between Galaxies.
-Update your Stargate Network. Something similar to the Midway Station perhaps, but with the Midway being the final destination.

-No, not the Prophetic-Death Final Destination.

-Enjoy.

Wuldnt the gravity from the star inside shred the wormhole to pieces. Its alot more powerful than whatever is holding solid matter intact in subspace.

The Prophet
February 27th, 2008, 12:18 PM
Wuldnt the gravity from the star inside shred the wormhole to pieces. Its alot more powerful than whatever is holding solid matter intact in subspace.

It depends. We've sent an Asteroid through Hyperspace before, I suppose it depends how powerful the Hyperspace Generator is to keep the Window Open to send the Dyson Sphere/ Star through.

BubblingOverWithIdeas
February 27th, 2008, 01:40 PM
Its not really a void. Theres radiation from galaxies and interstellar hydrogen and trace elements that form to the lines of gravity between the galaxies.

Maybe a random rogue star/planet and anything else thats orbit was irregularly disturbed within a near galaxy. I suppose that it is concievable to have a rogue planet with active volcanism belching out heat and gases enough for an atmosphere and thermals. Wouldnt wanna guess at the odds of finding it out there but if anyone culda found it id bet on the lanteans. Probably have to be one of those really huge solid terrestial planets to have enough mass to survive whatever gravity effect flung it out of a galaxy.

Would have one hell of a view from there tho.

No doubt. I would like to see that.

Pheonix Commander
February 28th, 2008, 02:28 AM
i was a little disappointed to see the midway destroyed. Maybe they could have expanded on that into a full functioning space station with the plant life etc. We wouldn't need another race in the void because the station would be big enough, like a version of atlantis (maybe even another city ship) and would provide plenty of story ideas.

Imagine then midway/city ship station developed further and became a hub for travel between multiple other galaxies! If you're keen for more races - there's your oppurtunity. We could gate from atlantis to the ori galaxy using the forwarding macro or drop into the old asgard galaxy as a short detour on the way back to pegasus from earth. The possibilities mean that we could travel further, explore more and meet new races easy.

Just a few thoughts ... :vortex04: