Midway Stargates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Midway Stargates

Anyone else notice how thick the Atlantis gate in the Midway station was??
    The inner section (where the puddle is generated) was waaay too thick on the CG model they used. Twice as thick as the gate in Atlantis

Don't get me wrong, it's a great shot, I think they actually filmed it in the SGC set but CG'd over the surface of the gate to make it look Pegasus in colour/design etc...If you look, the ramp Teal'c etc walk down is similar to the one used in the SGC set and just beyond where they walk looks like the start of the CG background (where the bluescreen might have been in the SGC).
    I noticed in the HD version that the Milky Way gate in the distance didn't have a chevron at the top like all the normal gates...instead it had two chevrons the same distance apart at 10 and 2 o'clock.....The 8 chevroned CG gates strike again!!! hehe
    (this was the shot of the MW gate at the beginning of the season with the offset chevrons)

Yes I noticed it too.. might have been optical deception though. Or the possibility that it was all CGI, including the gate and the ramp..

Comment

Originally posted by Varrok View Post
      Yes I noticed it too.. might have been optical deception though. Or the possibility that it was all CGI, including the gate and the ramp..
      I thought that but I read Joe Mallozzi's blog, and he says
      "The actual entry/exit chamber was the big concern because building it would have pretty much crippled our budget. So we found a way to compromise, have the VFX crew work their magic in one of our standing sets (The SGC gate room) and play most of the action in the adjoining corridors."

So basically I figure the big overhead sweeping shot of them coming through the gate was actually filmed in the SGC gateroom, covered in green screen, and all the VFX guys did was CG the surface of the Earth gate to make it look Pegasus in design....still doesn't explain the massive central section...because the earth gates ramp goes all the way through the middle of the gate and the Midway one doesn't, they probably had to recreate the middle section of the gate as it couldn't be seen by the cameras...
      I'd like more VFX featurettes on the DVD's....shot progression etc...
      Last edited by asmir47; 22 February 2008, 11:01 AM. Reason: error

Comment

Originally posted by Varrok View Post
        I agree that it looks much thicker and think the "all CGI" option or the MW gate with some CG overlay is the likely cause.

Also agree that it was an awesome shot!
        sigpic

Comment

Working...
        X