Am I the only one who realizes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Am I the only one who realizes?

I have been reading posts about why they don't have Irises on the Midway Station. Am I the only one who understands that the McKay/Carter Intergalactic Gatebridge does not create one giant wormhole that connects to all the gates at one time...passing through them as it were. This would be impossible, because then, at each gate, there would be both an Outgoing and an Incoming wormhole...which is impossible.

The wormhole SHUTS DOWN at each gate, Then REDIALS to the next one. Because of this, you cannot send an IDC to the last gate in the system, Unless you dial twice. IF you did have to dial twice, it negates the need for an iris because anyone could then Dial in, and the iris would be open, it would require Immaculate timing...but it could be done.

If you did send the code, you would have to send the travelers through during the same wormhole, The patterns would be stored in the buffer, and all forwarded at the same time, In this event, the people on Midway would have mere microseconds to open an iris or shield before the people impacted against it. This is Physically impossible to do, seeing as no Human being could read that a code had been recieved, and open a metal sliding iris like in the sgc in microseconds. It's beyond our limitations.

Therefore, unless you want to kill off everyone who went to midway, having an iris or shield is just a non-issue.

Now, I realize that the earth gate opened the iris prior to the Wraith device coming through. This is, in my opinion, a very large plothole, because Rodney says, in the "Previously On" in midway "Stores you in it's buffer, then forwards you along to the next to the next to the next..." You step through the Atlantis or milky-way gate, and you do not rematerialize until you reach midway. a code from an iris would do the same, and they would be rematerialized one right after another. Any traveller on there way from midway to earth would not have time between the sending of the IDC and their arrival to allow someone to open an iris. It is just not plausible.

Thank you for your time.
    Last edited by Tupopoflungo; 20 February 2008, 12:32 AM. Reason: Spelling mistake

well live communication is possible so why can't they send an idc ahead of a traveller

Comment

i believe i have said that a few times, yes. Unfortunately that Adrift part where there is a dialogue between Ellis and Carter leaves a very bitter taste in my mouth. But it seems that they re adjusted back on track for Midway, i think they will rebuild but make some automatic beam buffer thing that can identify specific things that traveled through the gate.

Has any one ever wondered what would happen if some one in atlantis dials midway and about 5 minutes later some one from midway dials atlantis, what would happen when those two data pass each other or would it automatically fail?
      Their white flags are no match to our guns!!

Comment

The idc, like the idc sent by midway to the SGC and probably from midway to Atlantis is stored in the gate's buffer like the people and object sent though.

Midway is one of my favorite eps, but you are wrong. It is definitely possible to send an IDC through the gate bridge

Perfecto!

Comment

Originally posted by Major_Griff View Post
          The idc, like the idc sent by midway to the SGC and probably from midway to Atlantis is stored in the gate's buffer like the people and object sent though.

Midway is one of my favorite eps, but you are wrong. It is definitely possible to send an IDC through the gate bridge
          I never said it was not possible to send the code...I said it was impossible to send the code along the bridge and get the iris opened in time to prevent the people from impacting upon the iris. Their is no evidence to suggest that the gate would take into account how long a time passed between things entering the event horizon and forward them in a brand new wormhole in that exact timing.

Comment

Originally posted by Tupopoflungo View Post
            I have been reading posts about why they don't have Irises on the Midway Station. Am I the only one who understands that the McKay/Carter Intergalactic Gatebridge does not create one giant wormhole that connects to all the gates at one time...passing through them as it were. This would be impossible, because then, at each gate, there would be both an Outgoing and an Incoming wormhole...which is impossible.

The wormhole SHUTS DOWN at each gate, Then REDIALS to the next one. Because of this, you cannot send an IDC to the last gate in the system, Unless you dial twice. IF you did have to dial twice, it negates the need for an iris because anyone could then Dial in, and the iris would be open, it would require Immaculate timing...but it could be done.

If you did send the code, you would have to send the travelers through during the same wormhole, The patterns would be stored in the buffer, and all forwarded at the same time, In this event, the people on Midway would have mere microseconds to open an iris or shield before the people impacted against it. This is Physically impossible to do, seeing as no Human being could read that a code had been recieved, and open a metal sliding iris like in the sgc in microseconds. It's beyond our limitations.

Therefore, unless you want to kill off everyone who went to midway, having an iris or shield is just a non-issue.

Now, I realize that the earth gate opened the iris prior to the Wraith device coming through. This is, in my opinion, a very large plothole, because Rodney says, in the "Previously On" in midway "Stores you in it's buffer, then forwards you along to the next to the next to the next..." You step through the Atlantis or milky-way gate, and you do not rematerialize until you reach midway. a code from an iris would do the same, and they would be rematerialized one right after another. Any traveller on there way from midway to earth would not have time between the sending of the IDC and their arrival to allow someone to open an iris. It is just not plausible.

Thank you for your time.
            Finally someone who understands! If the Midway system works as McKay said it does then it should be impossible to send IDCs, and to talk to someone from Midway by using an open wormhole. You have put it better than I ever could. Good post!
            sigpic

Comment

I always thought the only way to open the Midway gate was with the macro McKay designed, and Atlantis and Earth had it so they could link all the gates to the Midway.
              That code was their Iris.
              ~ When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make life take back the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons! What am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! WITH THE LEMONS! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that BURNS YOUR HOUSE DOWN! ~

~ Burning people! He says what we're all thinking! ~

Comment

I never said it was not possible to send the code...I said it was impossible to send the code along the bridge and get the iris opened in time to prevent the people from impacting upon the iris. Their is no evidence to suggest that the gate would take into account how long a time passed between things entering the event horizon and forward them in a brand new wormhole in that exact timing.
                Except that stargate travelers seemingly always arrive in the order they left, with the same amount of time between their arrivals as between their departures. I don't know if that's how it's supposed to work, but that's how it looks each time.

Originally posted by MattSilver 3k View Post
                I always thought the only way to open the Midway gate was with the macro McKay designed, and Atlantis and Earth had it so they could link all the gates to the Midway.
                That code was their Iris.
                Good point. That would have kept out practically anyone except people with access to McKay's research, and they apparently didn't consider that Todd would commit such espionage. Talk about naive.
                Last edited by BubblingOverWithIdeas; 20 February 2008, 05:13 PM.

Comment

Their is no evidence to suggest that the gate would take into account how long a time passed between things entering the event horizon and forward them in a brand new wormhole in that exact timing.
                  Except in this very episode you see the IDC from Midway being sent to the SGC, the iris being lowered and THEN the wraith stun weapon coming through.

Comment

The gate has to have a timing mechanism in it for how and when it reintegrates matter. If you step through the gate 30 seconds after the wormhole engages, it will disgorge you 30 seconds after the gate engages at the receiving end. If it didn't do this, then multiple people walking through the origin gate at the Midway station would all emerge at the exact same time when the final gate engaged. So, we know the Gate must keep track of when they entered so it can send them out in the same order and timing they entered, with no accidental telefrags occurring.

So, if you want to send an IDC, it's totally possible. You open the gate. Send an IDC. Wait 60 seconds and proceed. The IDC will be sent through first when the Earth gate activates, giving them a full minute to analyze the IDC and open the Iris before the Gate rematerializes the travelers in the order they entered. The only thing you can't do is get an IDC response code, which poses a real problem.

Should the SGC be in lockdown, they have no way of sending a Do Not Proceed response, and the Midway travelers will be smooshified on the Iris. Not pleasant.

If Midway proved one thing, it isn't that the Gate Bridge is an unnecessary security risk, it's that having the bridge terminate at the SGC is an unnecessary security risk. The bridge should terminate at the Alpha Site, where security can determine the nature of the travelers before clearing them to proceed to Earth using tried and true IDC codes. If the travelers are hostile, then the Alpha site can attempt to contain it without ever exposing Earth to invasion through the Gate.
                    "There's not a little boy born who wouldn't tear the world apart to save his mummy... and this little boy can." --The Doctor.
                    "The plastic tips at the ends of shoelaces are called Aglets. Their true purpose is sinister."--The Question.
                    BAD WOLF!!!

Comment

Good idea.

Comment

Thank you for your time.
                        Very good post. You have been greened.
                        Click the banner or episode links to visit the virtual continuations of Stargate!
                        Previous Episode: 11x03 "Shore Leave" | Previous Episode: 6x04 "Nightfall" | Now Airing: 3x06 "Eldest"

Comment

Originally posted by 2ndgenerationalteran View Post
                          i believe i have said that a few times, yes. Unfortunately that Adrift part where there is a dialogue between Ellis and Carter leaves a very bitter taste in my mouth. But it seems that they re adjusted back on track for Midway, i think they will rebuild but make some automatic beam buffer thing that can identify specific things that traveled through the gate.
                          They did that using a single gate on the outer edge of the Galaxy and with a subspace transmitter to further boost the signal.. The gatebridge wasn't used in that instance.
                          I'm not an actor. I just play one on TV.

Comment

Thank you for your time.
                            Id buy it

Comment

Originally posted by Tupopoflungo
                              well yeah, take it as an added risk factor that would add a little "zest" to the whole thing
                              Last edited by SoulReaver; 20 February 2008, 08:19 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X