PDA

View Full Version : Warhammer 40k: Dawn of War

s09119
February 19th, 2008, 09:42 AM
Anyone else played these (video) games? They're based off a tabletop game and are insanely fun! You can play as one of 7 factions at present:

1. The Space Marines (humankind's elite warriors)
2. The Eldar (an ancient alien race)
3. The Orks (a wacky alien race)
4. The Chaos Space Marines (heretical human supersoldiers)
5. The Imperial Guard (the backbone of Earth's army)
6. The Tau Empire (a young but extremely advanced alien race)
7. The Necrons (an ancient undead race, older than any)

It's all squad-based RTS combat, and it's great fun! Anyone else play?

The_Carpenter
February 19th, 2008, 09:58 AM
Anyone else played these (video) games? They're based off a tabletop game and are insanely fun! You can play as one of 7 factions at present:

1. The Space Marines (humankind's elite warriors)
2. The Eldar (an ancient alien race)
3. The Orks (a wacky alien race)
4. The Chaos Space Marines (heretical human supersoldiers)
5. The Imperial Guard (the backbone of Earth's army)
6. The Tau Empire (a young but extremely advanced alien race)
7. The Necrons (an ancient undead race, older than any)

It's all squad-based RTS combat, and it's great fun! Anyone else play?

With the new expansion released soon you can add

Sisters of Battle (Warrior Nuns in black power armour *ohhherrr matron*
and
Dark Eldar (Eldar but utterly debased and perverse, take slaves in battle and torture and experiment on them for their own enjoyment [over simplification but it will suffice])

Loved the first 3 versions of the game, however from what I've heard Soulstorm (the fourth expansion) is badly implemented.

kharn the betrayer
February 19th, 2008, 11:04 AM
*points to my username*

Witch Hunter mod models>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Soul Storms Sisters of Battle models

its sad when a fanmade mod outdoes the official thing really

the games decent but the lack of an UMS setting like Star/warcraft and its lack of Balance really bring it down and Im not even going to get into the amount of fluff they raped and the lack of customization(which was one of the main things I loved TT for)

oh and if the Demofiles are correct then the story is going to be worse than Dark Crusades(which sucked other than the various Banter with Eliphas/Gorgutz and Taldeer and the various other commanders)

plus we have yet another Brain dead moron for a Chaos Lord(and to think they had to kill off Eliphas the chaos Lord in this series that didnt suck)

Ouroboros
February 19th, 2008, 09:15 PM
I've played the original dawn of war and dark crusade. I've also been a player of the actual table game for going on 15 years. The games are fun with plenty of depth given all the different factions and I also really like the idea of capturing points to get more units rather than "mining".

If you're a dawn of war far you might also want to check out Company of Heroes which is a WW2 RTS that uses an updated version of the same basic game mechanics. It's got some added features I really wish had made it into dawn of war.

Ice Wolf
February 19th, 2008, 09:32 PM
I love Dawn of War but you can really get swamped by units if your playing against guard with a low unit count army.

Ouroboros
February 20th, 2008, 09:16 PM
*points to my username*

Witch Hunter mod models>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Soul Storms Sisters of Battle models

its sad when a fanmade mod outdoes the official thing really

I just downloaded this mod based on your recommendation here and it does indeed look awesome but there's a problem. It's pretty obvious that whoever was working on this talked his disinterested girlfiriend into voicing the sisters and it's really distracting.

Hopefully when Soulstorm hits someone will mod these models into it but keep the haughty British psycho nun voices the sisters are supposed to have.

kharn the betrayer
February 21st, 2008, 08:52 AM
I just downloaded this mod based on your recommendation here and it does indeed look awesome but there's a problem. It's pretty obvious that whoever was working on this talked his disinterested girlfiriend into voicing the sisters and it's really distracting.

Hopefully when Soulstorm hits someone will mod these models into it but keep the haughty British psycho nun voices the sisters are supposed to have.

yes the voices are bad and the Mod is still in Beta so we dont have the option for custom colours...

if you want some other mods try out the Daemon Hunters Mod and Armageddon Steel Legion

throw in the combiner and you have 3 extra races to play against at the same time

(Daemon Hunters use already existing voice files but the Steel Legion Mod has original VA but its not nearly as crap as the witch hunters)

the Grey Knight commander in the DH Mod also has a neat Little referance to a certain WH40K Novel on him and the Steel Legion Mod uses one of the Biggest IG commanders in its mod(Commissar Yarrick)

and when the game comes out im going to to replace the Chaos Lord+Sorcerer/Force Commander/Imperial Guard General models and Voices as soon as I get the chance

Acolyte Of Bli'l'ab
February 21st, 2008, 11:48 AM
<-- biggest necron nerd you'll ever meet.

Dark Crusade FTW!

Wish they'd introduce more alienish alien races though, love 40k but too many bipeds/leggy-wonders :P

kharn the betrayer
February 21st, 2008, 12:46 PM
<-- biggest necron nerd you'll ever meet.

Dark Crusade FTW!

Wish they'd introduce more alienish alien races though, love 40k but too many bipeds/leggy-wonders :P

there is a reason for most of the races that are humanlike *cougholdonecreatedmostofthemcough*

and its not like there arnt any nonhumanoid races in WH40k either *points to the Umbra and Loxatle as example*

Xicer
February 21st, 2008, 01:18 PM
I love RTS games (Warcraft, Starcraft, CNC, etc...) and Warhammer is one of the best. Dark Crusade is my favorite in the series ATM.

s09119
February 21st, 2008, 01:27 PM
My only problem with Dark Crusade is the Tau... when it first came out I played them nonstop; I loved the feel of them, their technology, the way everyhing looked... but with the last patches they've been nerfed so bad it's not even funny. And add in the lack of true turrets and mines... ugh.

I'm a Guardsman now :D

kharn the betrayer
February 21st, 2008, 01:35 PM
My only problem with Dark Crusade is the Tau... when it first came out I played them nonstop; I loved the feel of them, their technology, the way everyhing looked... but with the last patches they've been nerfed so bad it's not even funny. And add in the lack of true turrets and mines... ugh.

I'm a Guardsman now :D

1)who uses Turrets or mines any more? they are a waste of resorces ina game that pretty much promotes rushing

2)Imperial Guard got nerfed worse than the Tau did! they are currently at the very bottom and the Tau have more players than them!

s09119
February 21st, 2008, 02:04 PM
1)who uses Turrets or mines any more? they are a waste of resorces ina game that pretty much promotes rushing

2)Imperial Guard got nerfed worse than the Tau did! they are currently at the very bottom and the Tau have more players than them!

1. At least with proper turrets I don't have to leave half my army behind to prevent a sneak attack... especially when the Tau unit cap is so low!

2. Actually, I'm winning quite a few games with the Guard lately. Maybe I'm just getting a lot of weak opponants, but...

kharn the betrayer
February 21st, 2008, 02:28 PM
1. At least with proper turrets I don't have to leave half my army behind to prevent a sneak attack... especially when the Tau unit cap is so low!

2. Actually, I'm winning quite a few games with the Guard lately. Maybe I'm just getting a lot of weak opponants, but...

1)in case of a sneak attack Turrets arnt going to much help (though it is odd they dont have turrets as they do have them in TT)

2)here at the statistics

ORKS
Wins: 432545
Losses: 325132
%: 57

CHAOS SPACE MARINES
Wins: 676056
Losses: 539059
%: 56

SPACE MARINES
Wins: 1308302
Losses: 1040236

ELDAR
Wins: 522483
Losses: 432796
%: 55

NECRONS
Wins: 637792
Losses: 551777
%: 54

TAU EMPIRE
Wins: 748436
Losses: 676505
%: 53

IMPERIAL GUARD
Wins: 507483
Losses: 446842

s09119
February 21st, 2008, 04:18 PM
1)in case of a sneak attack Turrets arnt going to much help (though it is odd they dont have turrets as they do have them in TT)

2)here at the statistics

ORKS
Wins: 432545
Losses: 325132
%: 57

CHAOS SPACE MARINES
Wins: 676056
Losses: 539059

SPACE MARINES
Wins: 1308302
Losses: 1040236

ELDAR
Wins: 522483
Losses: 432796
%: 55

NECRONS
Wins: 637792
Losses: 551777
%: 54

TAU EMPIRE
Wins: 748436
Losses: 676505

IMPERIAL GUARD
Wins: 507483
Losses: 446842

How is that bad? They only have a 4% lower win-to-loss ratio than the leaders, that's good by anyone's standards.

kharn the betrayer
February 21st, 2008, 05:40 PM
How is that bad? They only have a 4% lower win-to-loss ratio than the leaders, that's good by anyone's standards.

doesn't change the fact they are considered the weakest overall race have you ever visted Relics forums? people where (and still not) happy at all with what they did to guard with the current patch

s09119
February 22nd, 2008, 10:58 AM
doesn't change the fact they are considered the weakest overall race have you ever visted Relics forums? people where (and still not) happy at all with what they did to guard with the current patch

Just because some consider them weak doesn't mean they really are. Strength can be subjective anyway; it's all in how you play.

Ouroboros
February 24th, 2008, 10:46 PM
I gotta agree. I can't play MP because my current "version" of DC doesn't let me, but a mere 4% deviation between the best and worst races looks like more or less ideal game balance to me.

kharn the betrayer
February 25th, 2008, 09:11 PM
I gotta agree. I can't play MP because my current "version" of DC doesn't let me, but a mere 4% deviation between the best and worst races looks like more or less ideal game balance to me.

until you realize those statistics add in ALL types of games 1v1 2v2 3v3 4v4 ect ect

and IG do quite well in 2v2 onwards

its 1v1 that they suffer and in 1v1 competitive play they tend to end up on the short end of the stick dew to their crappy T1

and most online games in competitive hardly last long enough to the point where IG start to kick up steam

they are like the Anti Necrons who start out strong(Tier 1 flayed spam) but have crappy end game outside of the monolith and Nightbringer

Ouroboros
February 25th, 2008, 10:03 PM
until you realize those statistics add in ALL types of games 1v1 2v2 3v3 4v4 ect ect

and IG do quite well in 2v2 onwards

its 1v1 that they suffer and in 1v1 competitive play they tend to end up on the short end of the stick dew to their crappy T1

and most online games in competitive hardly last long enough to the point where IG start to kick up steam

they are like the Anti Necrons who start out strong(Tier 1 flayed spam) but have crappy end game outside of the monolith and Nightbringer

Ahh yes that is indeed noteworthy then. Do you have any stats that only measure 1v1 games as that's probably the most important category to judge balance.

I'll confess also that they always did seem a bit weak to me just on general observation. I think they do have the best super heavy in the baneblade but a lot of the other units do seem to be lacking especially, as you said, the earlier ones.

Agent_Dark
February 25th, 2008, 10:34 PM
Company of Heroes is a better game imo, made by the same devs and afaik on an upgraded (or very similiar) engine. Check it out if you like dawn of war.

kharn the betrayer
February 26th, 2008, 08:55 AM
Ahh yes that is indeed noteworthy then. Do you have any stats that only measure 1v1 games as that's probably the most important category to judge balance.

I'll confess also that they always did seem a bit weak to me just on general observation. I think they do have the best super heavy in the baneblade but a lot of the other units do seem to be lacking especially, as you said, the earlier ones.

sadly by looking at the official DoW site
it doesnt list the % of wins and what not for individuals

it lists most the top players(and there are a few IG players within the top 100 but if your in the top 100 your most likley going to be really damn good with any race) and the top used races like I posted but doesn't specify what type of games they

and yes the baneblade is a great tank not only is it useful but come on its tank the size of a house and has like 14 weapons

by that point guardsmen are also not completely frail and loose moral at the blink of an eye thanks to the upgrades they get

the poor Basilisk/Vindicare/Curse of the Machine Spirit got nerfed though

the Basilisk for an artillery piece is toslow/fire rather infrequently now and very frail which is bad as its movement speed means that its not going to last that long if some one assaults the thing

and the Vindicare's special ability used to double his range and was perfect for taking out commanders as he could OHKO most of them T_T

CoTMS used to make Tank armor drop so low that virtually anything could do damage to it including Guardsmen

it was great for taking out those pesky monoliths/baneblades and whatnot