PDA

View Full Version : How will the Season Five storyline lead into Continuum Movie?

atfan
February 19th, 2008, 05:52 AM
I just read this http://www.gateworld.net/news/2008/02/tapping_suggests_timeline_contin.shtml and thought how will the future storyline of Atlantis be leading into the Continuum movie?
My guess is that Carter is somehow needed to figure out what may be happening and is reassigned to that project maybe something involving Ba'al? Anyone else have any theories or ideas how this might happen?

Killdeer
February 19th, 2008, 08:48 AM
I think we've maybe assumed that Continuum happened sometime between Ark of Truth and Atlantis S4. But I'm guessing there's nothing in the movie that sets it in any particular timeframe, so, now that they need a way to write Sam out, they're going to have her going back to earth and that will feed into Continuum. So Atlantis will provide Continuum with a timeframe - in other words it will be set during Atlantis' fifth season.

The only thing I'm not sure about is whether she gets pulled back to work on that project (I'm not clear enough about the plot of that movie), or whether something else happens (a IOA power play) that results in her removal and replacement by Woolsey, and that is why she's back on earth during the events of Continuum.

jenks
February 19th, 2008, 08:52 AM
I think it's going to confuse a lot of people because...

...there's a line in The Ark Of Truth about Woolsey's time being taken up by the Atlantis expedition, so I think a lot of people upon hearing that will think that AoT is set during season 5 as well...

Killdeer
February 19th, 2008, 08:57 AM
I think it's going to confuse a lot of people because...

...there's a line in The Ark Of Truth about Woolsey's time being taken up by the Atlantis expedition, so I think a lot of people upon hearing that will think that AoT is set during season 5 as well...

That IS kind of confusing. But I thought Carter had not yet been promoted in AoT. Or is it not clear? That's going to be confusing in Continuum as well, if she hasn't had her promotion yet. Does anyone know about that?

I found this under the GW spoilers for Continuum.

"While SG-1 attends the execution of Baal, the last of the Goa'uld System Lords, Teal'c and Vala inexplicably disappear into thin air. Carter, Daniel and Mitchell race back to a world where history has been changed: the Stargate program has been erased from the timeline. As they try to convince the authorities what's happened, a fleet of Goa'uld motherships arrives in orbit, led by Baal, his queen, Katesh (Vala), and his first prime, Teal'c. SG-1 must find the Stargate and set things right before the world is enslaved by the Goa'uld."
(MGM press release - January 15, 2007)

So maybe Carter has to go back for this?

VSS
February 19th, 2008, 08:58 AM
Well, it sounds a though they've decided Continuum precedes S5 of Atlantis instead of being set pre-season 4 which is interesting. I thought this movie was a stand-alone i.e. no loose ends. That makes me think it has something to do with the "subtle but permanent" change in the timeline at the end of the movie. Now that's a scary thought.

Because if there's a tiny change in the setting of the movie, there's a tiny change all across the universe, right? Including Atlantis, and maybe the change isn't so subtle there. I don't think it has to do with Ba'al because the whole point of the movie is to deal with him. If they don't then it really isn't a stand-alone movie like Brad Wright said it was.

Really, they could make up anything they want with a little shift in the timeline.

But I think Continuum leads into the reason for her departure, not the other way around.

jenks
February 19th, 2008, 09:02 AM
That IS kind of confusing. But I thought Carter had not yet been promoted in AoT. Or is it not clear? That's going to be confusing in Continuum as well, if she hasn't had her promotion yet. Does anyone know about that?

It's not clear from the movie, but according to Amanda she's a full bird colonel in both.

I found this under the GW spoilers for Continuum.

So maybe Carter has to go back for this?

That's what I was thinking, but it doesn't really seem like a worthy reason for her to leave her command imo, so I'm not sure...

VSS
February 19th, 2008, 09:04 AM
Isn't the movie over and done by the time S5 starts?

Killdeer
February 19th, 2008, 09:08 AM
It's not clear from the movie, but according to Amanda she's a full bird colonel in both.

Ok - I wasn't sure about that. That does make it easier to play with the timeline.

That's what I was thinking, but it doesn't really seem like a worthy reason for her to leave her command imo, so I'm not sure...

No, I was kind of thinking the same thing. :S It's definitely confusing.

Isn't the movie over and done by the time S5 starts?

I think that's unknown at this point. I can't imagine how that would work though. To me, if they're going to tie Continuum into S5, they almost have to set the movie after S5 starts.

VSS
February 19th, 2008, 09:21 AM
Okay, now that's a surprise to me about the setting of the movie in Stargate time. It would be really odd to have Carter's departure have to do with something that has already happened in real time.

Now I know the movies were theoretically set before season 4 of Atlantis, but other than the fact that Sam appeared to have bounced back and forth between the movies and Atlantis, the storylines didn't have anything to do with each other (well, at least not TAoT). So that I could accept. But now that the stories apparently are connected somehow, it would be strange to say she's leaving to go deal with Ba'al in a movie that was released two months earlier. Makes no sense to me, in fact it's a bit anti-climactic.

I think it'll be something in Continuum that they resurrect as a reason for her to leave.

Killdeer
February 19th, 2008, 09:37 AM
Okay, now that's a surprise to me about the setting of the movie in Stargate time. It would be really odd to have Carter's departure have to do with something that has already happened in real time. Now I know the movies were theoretically set before season 4 of Atlantis, but other than the fact that Sam appeared to have bounced back and forth between the movies and Atlantis, the storylines didn't have anything to do with each other (well, at least not TAoT). So that I could accept. But now that the stories apparently are connected somehow, it would be strange to say she's leaving to go deal with Ba'al in a movie that was released two months earlier. Makes no sense to me, in fact it's a bit anti-climactic.

I think it'll be something in Continuum that they resurrect as a reason for her to leave.

That's possible. But I think anything's possible at this point. Continuum never had a set place in the Stargate timeline like AoT did. From the GW article:

Producers have stated that Stargate: The Ark of Truth takes place prior to Season Four of Atlantis, but that the placement of Continuum is more up in the open.

"The timeline for the movies may be slightly different than what we thought," said Tapping. "There's a little hint for you."

It could be something in Continuum that they resurrect. I don't know. I do agree that it doesn't make a lot of sense for her leaving for that reason - to deal with Ba'al. I actually don't think she'll leave for that reason now that I think about it. But I think it's plausible that she gets removed for another reason (I keep coming back to the line about the "power play" putting Woolsey in charge), and that sets her up as present and accounted for in Continuum. And remember, Continuum isn't going to be released until what, September, October? It's very possible that we'll have already seen the S5 premiere at that point.

VSS
February 19th, 2008, 09:44 AM
I thought Continuum's release date was July.:)
Then I thought it was September.:(
On the Continuum movie thread they all think it's July.:) So, when is it? I thought Brad Wright just said it's a great summer time movie.

Killdeer
February 19th, 2008, 09:48 AM
I thought Continuum's release date was July.:)
Then I thought it was September.:(
On the Continuum movie thread they all think it's July.:) So, when is it? I thought Brad Wright just said it's a great summer time movie.

Hmm. Maybe it is July. I thought it was later - in the fall. I thought it was originally going to be earlier, but got pushed back.

EDIT2: Nevermind, I found it. You're right.

Stargate SG-1 co-creator and Stargate: Continuum writer Brad Wright revealed to GateWorld that his movie is scheduled to be released on DVD in July, 2008.

http://www.gateworld.net/news/2007/11/wright_icontinuumi_is_classic_is.shtml

But we don't know when S5's premiere date is yet either. I don't think it's set in stone that they're going to go with a fall premiere again. Oh well. Who knows. :D

jenks
February 19th, 2008, 10:04 AM
It was set to be released in the Autumn, but now it's being released in July.

Killdeer
February 19th, 2008, 10:05 AM
It was set to be released in the Autumn, but now it's being released in July.

Oh ok. I just wasn't up on the news, apparently. :D

Pheonix Commander
February 20th, 2008, 09:12 AM
Sam might leave as part of the finale this season for the movie. We know that the finale of season 4 and the start of season 5 has Shep ending up in the future 40,000 years on atlantis so if its time travel based it might tie in with continuum.

Mitchell82
February 20th, 2008, 09:29 AM
Sam might leave as part of the finale this season for the movie. We know that the finale of season 4 and the start of season 5 has Shep ending up in the future 40,000 years on atlantis so if its time travel based it might tie in with continuum.

Very possible.

VSS
February 20th, 2008, 09:37 AM
That would tie in nicely with the movie but it doesn't explain how season 5 and Sam's departure from the show fits in. She does have at least two eps (I'm presuming the first two) in S5- somehow the movie affects that. It's very interesting. Clever marketing for the movie, too, I might add.

Mitchell82
February 20th, 2008, 09:41 AM
That would tie in nicely with the movie but it doesn't explain how season 5 and Sam's departure from the show fits in. She does have at least two eps (I'm presuming the first two) in S5- somehow the movie affects that. It's very interesting. Clever marketing for the movie, too, I might add.

Agreed. I can't wait to see how it ties together.

Major_Griff
February 20th, 2008, 06:06 PM
How can they set SG:C after SGA S4? WHAT ABOUT TEAL'C'S HAIR!!!!! Lolz That's a huge continuity error. Even if it's AU, there's still gonna be parts in the beginning and I assume end that would show him with short hair. and you could say that maybe he's gonna get it cut, but they what about the next time we see him and it's long again?!?!?!?!

Mitchell82
February 20th, 2008, 06:11 PM
How can they set SG:C after SGA S4? WHAT ABOUT TEAL'C'S HAIR!!!!! Lolz That's a huge continuity error. Even if it's AU, there's still gonna be parts in the beginning and I assume end that would show him with short hair. and you could say that maybe he's gonna get it cut, but they what about the next time we see him and it's long again?!?!?!?!

We likely won't see Teal'c again so he can simply have cut it to rejoin SG-1.

Jumper_One
February 20th, 2008, 06:15 PM
We likely won't see Teal'c again so he can simply have cut it to rejoin SG-1.

true but we still don't know that Continuum takes place after s4 ;) it also would make no sense for Sam to rejoin SG-1 afte being base commander for a year

Fenrir Foxz
February 20th, 2008, 06:20 PM
true but we still don't know that Continuum takes place after s4 ;) it also would make no sense for Sam to rejoin SG-1 afte being base commander for a year

Maybe... Maybe not, I'd rather wait till official conformation either way :P

Jumper_One
February 20th, 2008, 06:25 PM
Maybe... Maybe not, I'd rather wait till official conformation either way :P

all AT said was
The timeline for the movies may be slightly different than what we thought. so yeah maybe Continuum takes place after s4. or not. we'll know in july ;)

Mitchell82
February 20th, 2008, 06:26 PM
Good point.

Fenrir Foxz
February 20th, 2008, 06:29 PM
all AT said was so yeah maybe Continuum takes place after s4. or not. we'll know in july ;)

For sure... :indeed:

...We may get some more hints or clues before then, I hope anyway :D

Jumper_One
February 20th, 2008, 06:34 PM

oh I'm sure about that. right now it's all about AoT but just wait another two months ;)

Mitchell82
February 20th, 2008, 06:37 PM
oh I'm sure about that. right now it's all about AoT but just wait another two months ;)

:indeed:

the fifth man
February 20th, 2008, 08:32 PM

No doubt about that IMO. I'm sure once AOT is released, more and more spoilers for Continuum will start popping up.

Jumper_One
February 20th, 2008, 08:35 PM
No doubt about that IMO. I'm sure once AOT is released, more and more spoilers for Continuum will start popping up.

of course. right now everybody's excited about AoT but just wait another month or two ;)

Fenrir Foxz
February 20th, 2008, 08:50 PM

of course. right now everybody's excited about AoT but just wait another month or two ;)

I hope that theory turns out to be correct, TBH I think so too... I would definately like a bit more light shed on Continuum :D

Nathan Reynolds
February 21st, 2008, 03:27 AM
I don't know if anyone talked about this(cos i didnt read all the posts) but if Continuum follows s4 of SGA and its the reason Carter leaves Atlantis theres only think that doesnt "compute"... Teal'c hair :) in Midway he had that cool looking hair but, correct me if am wrong, will he not have the "old style" hair in the movie????

Forget the timeline the Hair will not match lol

VSS
February 21st, 2008, 03:45 AM

First it was Carter's hair. Now Teal'c's. When, oh when will all our suffering end? ;)

jenks
February 21st, 2008, 06:05 AM

Never thought of that, I hope they don't mess this up...

Pheonix Commander
February 21st, 2008, 07:33 AM
First it was Sam's hair, now Teal'c, god forbid if Ronan ever gets the chop! lol The flay of his dreads add flamboyancy to his fighting! lol

It wouldn't take much for teal'c to change and cut his hair. Look backover the seasons of sg1. First he had the eye make up, then the blond little goatee, then the short black hair, then the side burns to match (his most pimping look - season 8 for those of you playing at home) then the grey streak and now the flowing locks. I think its to portray the human influence on him, and as a subtle acknowledgement to a freedom he may never have had under the Goa'uld.

Either that or we could be reading to much into this...:tealc:

jenks
February 21st, 2008, 07:58 AM
First it was Sam's hair, now Teal'c, god forbid if Ronan ever gets the chop! lol The flay of his dreads add flamboyancy to his fighting! lol

It wouldn't take much for teal'c to change and cut his hair. Look backover the seasons of sg1. First he had the eye make up, then the blond little goatee, then the short black hair, then the side burns to match (his most pimping look - season 8 for those of you playing at home) then the grey streak and now the flowing locks. I think its to portray the human influence on him, and as a subtle acknowledgement to a freedom he may never have had under the Goa'uld.

Either that or we could be reading to much into this...:tealc:

spoiler'd for size:

http://josephmallozzi.files.wordpress.com/2008/02/dsc04434.jpg

Starxgate
February 21st, 2008, 08:36 AM
So are they going to say Sam goes back to the SGC to attend Ba'als execution with SG-1 & obviously Sam will probably get some type of job offer or is she back in time all through most of Season 5 & Woolsey takes up command ? If so I can live with that reasoning but they will still have to explain why Sam does not come back to take up command again

The.Road.Not.Taken
February 21st, 2008, 08:43 AM
So are they going to say Sam goes back to the SGC to attend Ba'als execution with SG-1 & obviously Sam will probably get some type of job offer & Woolsey takes up command ? If so I can live with that reasoning

yh thats a good nice way of thinking bout it i hope sam dnt get ciritcally injured or somthing and then don't come back

Starxgate
February 21st, 2008, 08:45 AM
yh thats a good nice way of thinking bout it i hope sam dnt get ciritcally injured or somthing and then don't come back

I like the way things seem to be looking up with why Sam goes back to the SGC but they will need a damn good explination for why Sam does not come back & obviously SG-1 can not be in that Alternate Universe throughout Season 5 because Daniel guest stars

atfan
February 21st, 2008, 11:43 AM
Good point about Daniel. Also she is suposed to still be guest-starring in some episodes as well. Some people have thought about SGC commander since Landry hasn't been featured in Atlantis and I would like Sam better than him but to me the rank thing (she's not a general) wouldn't make sense.

However given the anti-military look of Atlantis new uniforms and leather outfits it might not matter. Head of some science unit at the SGC would make sense and export easily to Atlantis but would still be a step down in fact I can't think of any command/posting after Atlantis that woudl be in the same league. Maybe commander of Groom Lake area 51?

Starxgate
February 21st, 2008, 12:50 PM
Landry hasn't been featured in Atlantis

Landry was the SGC Commander in some Atlantis episodes

atfan
February 25th, 2008, 06:52 AM
Never thought of that, I hope they don't mess this up...
I hope that as well.

lol.

The AOT takes place prior to season four of Atlantis, directly after unending.

Landry was the SGC Commander in some Atlantis episodes

Which episodes? He was never that impressive to me oh well more speculation I guess

special thanks to SamJackforever for explaining the mutliquote thing.

jelgate
February 25th, 2008, 12:04 PM
Landry appeared in Critical Mass, No Man's Land, and the Return pt I and II

Jumper_One
February 25th, 2008, 12:44 PM
Landry appeared in Critical Mass, No Man's Land, and the Return pt I and II

he also appeared in The Intruder

jelgate
February 25th, 2008, 12:45 PM
Opps :o