Midway Station.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Midway Station.

Who else is Glad Midway Station is destroyed now after the episode "Midway"? while i thought it was a neat idea, i always thought it was a little too easy and a little too risky for the races such as the Wraith to invade the Milky way and ultimately Earth.

who agrees / disagrees??

I liked midway............but i don't feel anything now it's destroyed either. It's just one of those plot devices that alowed atlantis more contact with earth. They'll probebly find a new zpm eventually and all will be well again. but i wouldn't mind them going back to the good old days of season 1 where the city was pretty damn vulnerable.
    Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

My issue with the Midway Station, especially after seeing Midway, is this: time and again it's been said that arrogance was the downfall of the Ancients (superior weapons, but the Wraith only won because of greater numbers). So what do McKay and Carter do? "This is completely secure so we don't need an iris or shield!" Um... what?

The Tau'ri (for lack of a better term) don't exactly have the best track record in securing their bases - Re'tu, the Foothold situation, Niirti, Genii, Caldwell?

It's just dumbfounding that they wouldn't try to figure out a way to affix an iris to the Pegasus gate, at the very least.

ETA: Don't get me wrong - I actually liked the station, and I thought that it had great potential, and would have liked to see it utilized more. Still can't figure out the limited living space onboard, especially when it seemed to be at least as big as the Daedalus. Just a set up for a funny joke, I guess. :-)

Comment

Originally posted by rl2hb View Post
        My issue with the Midway Station, especially after seeing Midway, is this: time and again it's been said that arrogance was the downfall of the Ancients (superior weapons, but the Wraith only won because of greater numbers). So what do McKay and Carter do? "This is completely secure so we don't need an iris or shield!" Um... what?

The Tau'ri (for lack of a better term) don't exactly have the best track record in securing their bases - Re'tu, the Foothold situation, Niirti, Genii, Caldwell?

It's just dumbfounding that they wouldn't try to figure out a way to affix an iris to the Pegasus gate, at the very least.
        Why are you bringing Carter into this? She helped with it all, but Rodney likes to take most of the credit and he clearly made most of the decisions - it's his damn fault! I hope the world ending will be his fault and, as he watches the Earth be torn apart, he screams "You maniacs! You blew it up! Damn you! Damn you all to hell!" and then Ronon comes next to him and says :Ummm...it's kinda your fault...", with Sam giving him "the evil eye".

Comment

Well, the bridge is technically called the "McKay-Carter Intergalactic Bridge", if I remember right. The only reason I brought her up is because if she actually did have a hand in at least designing the Midway Station, all of her experience should have thrown up a flag or two about the lack of secure gates.

It's nothing against Carter - she's great!

Comment

Originally posted by rl2hb View Post
            Well, the bridge is technically called the "McKay-Carter Intergalactic Bridge", if I remember right. The only reason I brought her up is because if she actually did have a hand in at least designing the Midway Station, all of her experience should have thrown up a flag or two about the lack of secure gates.

It's nothing against Carter - she's great!
            Yeah, but then we wouldn't have Wraith slaughter in the SGC... This episode has a lot of contradictions and lapses in logic in order to make the plot work(the "no need for an iris" line wasn't even in the original "The Return I" episode, the "Previously on..." is the first time we've seen it), but it was just too much damn fun for me to really care.

Comment

midway was a symbol of maturity for earth, now that it was destroyed what does that say? But i really do hope they re build it with some type of security measures.
              Their white flags are no match to our guns!!

Comment

I love the idea of the Midway station, but I thought the actual station was LAME. It was too small.

I hope they rebuild it as a space port/space hub for vessels between the two galaxies, and setup defensive capabilities and and iris for each gate.

Comment

Originally posted by jrd231 View Post
                  I love the idea of the Midway station, but I thought the actual station was LAME. It was too small.

I hope they rebuild it as a space port/space hub for vessels between the two galaxies, and setup defensive capabilities and and iris for each gate.
                  i agree they should make it all fancyier and have asgard weapons and sheilds on it.(i know theres no need for them but you never know they could come in handing if the wraith travel to midway by ship) ALSO!!! they should have made it bigger on the inside like had like a permant staff there where its like a base of operations
                  sigpic
                  [[[[[Dr Keller]][[For Ever]]]]]

Comment

Where the Wraith were concerned I've always felt that the benefits always outweighed the risk. The station is too limited to make a successful invasion possible. You can only fit so many troops/darts through at a time and then you have to wait over a half hour given that it takes time for them to file through, it takes 15 minutes before the gate shuts off and it takes 15 minutes (plus more filing through) to get more troops from the other end. Atlantis and Earth use it to be in constant contact so it's only a matter of time before they see that something is wrong and go to investigate (in the case of this attempt it would've been later that same day if they attempted to go somewhere other than Earth). Once that happens any troops that get through would be quickly cut off as all Earth/Atlantis has to do is send a bomb through or, failing that, send a ship to the gates that are closest to their respective galaxies and take that out. Then the invaders in the Milky Way can be dealt with, now that they are cut off and alone. This is of course assuming they went to a planet other than Earth. With Earth they don't stand a chance. The military would very quickly be alerted and simply blow up the SGC. If any few managed to get out, which is unlikely, it would just be a matter of hunting them down. Then they could use the Daedalus to destroy the first gate or the Alpha/Beta site to dial in and send a bomb through to Midway and then dig up the Stargate and relocate it to a new facility to startup the Stargate program again. Lots of Human lives, important to the program, would be lost, but the attack would fail no matter what the Wraith tried to do.

The only ones who could've made use of it successfully (and that we are aware of) are the replicators and if they did what the Wraith did they could do massive damage. But they have better ways of going after Earth if they so desired so it's not an important issue.

Overall, I don't think it's a great tool for an invasion. It's forces enemies to bottle themselves in, under these very restrictive and time consuming conditions. Add to that, it's impossible to hold as long as it doesn't have Iris technology and Earth has one available ship. All it needs now is better security and protocals so even if someone gets to it they can't so easily get to the other galaxy (a lot can be learned for the second version of the station).

First, both Atlantis and the SGC should require more than just an IDC before letting anyone through. The Midway station should be forced to send live feeds of all its cameras to show that there isn't an army holding them hostage (newer replicators can get past this by changing their appearance so it's not fool proof of course, but it helps). Second, they need more manpower. Whenever the gate dials they need soldiers waiting behind secure locations, ready to fire heavy firepower on anything that comes through. Third, Irises would go a long way. Fourth, the control room needs to be ready to go into lockdown whenever the gate dials. Doctor Lee was so shocked that they were even there that the Wraith didn't have to bother forcing the door open like they were later trying to do in the episode. Fourth, everyone needs to be trained in established foothold procedures. The reason the Wraith managed to get to the control room right away seems to, in large part, have to do with Doctor Lee setting the computer to lockdown first. What he should've done was seal the control room first, then lockdown the base, then assessed the situation and decided if he should set the self destruct or vent to station. Fifth, communication with Earth/Atlantis needs to be possible. They need to set up an advanced communications array on the station and put something halfway between the Midway and the Milky Way/Pegasus galaxies so that they could forward a message along. It then needs to be automatic that a message is sent to both parties whenever the base goes into lockdown, the self destruct is set, or when the computers detect a threat like what happened in the SGC. Follow up information can be sent by those locked in the control room later. This way both parties are aware of the threat and can prevent further incursions should the Midway station fall despite all of the above.

Comment

What they should do instead of using that uninhabited desert planet to be the first gate in the chain, they should construct an Alpha Site on the edge of Pegasus and use it to be the first gate in the chain, then the macro would dial from the Alpha Site to Midway.

That way the Wraith can't just hack into the DHD undetected. The Alpha Site could warn Atlantis if any Wraith approach the planet, or the Alpha Site could even remove that crystal that contains the macro program from the DHD and destroy it so the Wraith don't get a hold of it.

Also it would be safer if they use the Alpha Sites in both the Pegasus and Milky Way Galaxies as exit points rather than the SGC/Atlantis.
                      Account Inactive
                      Account Inactive
                      Account Inactive
                      Account Inactive
                      Account Inactive
                      Account Inactive
                      Account Inactive
                      Account Inactive
                      Account Inactive
                      Account Inactive
                      Account Inactive
                      Account Inactive