ZPM...he's Canadian

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ZPM...he's Canadian

My fellow Decepticons, as your new leader I *gasp* 0.0 Sorry I am just random sometimes lol! There I was watching an SGA episode and I got to wondering about the destructive potential of a Zero Point Module. I could be a total geek and tell you what episodes brought about my thoughs but then I thought *NAH!* My point is, it is not clear to me just how destructive several Zero Point Modules overloading can be. They the scientists have said it could destroy a solar system but on the other hand we have seen this is not the case in most instanses. In anycase I leave you my fellow SGFs to ponder my rehtoric. This is not a question of course, just my two cents if you will...

The ZPM they suggested could blow up the solar system was Camulus' tainted ZPM.

I think a ZPM has an output limit. Its not as if it releases the entire potential energy of its contained subspace when it overloads as that would destroy more than a solar system imho, it just releases the amount of energy that is flowing through it at the time.
    We know that ZPMs have a large energy output but I don't think its anything massive enough to destroy a solar system. Judging by the fact it took three ZPMs to destroy the Asuran City Ship, chances are the overload energy of a ZPM is probably about half the strength of the self-destruct device on Atlantis, as it was said that that would only mostly destroy the city, whereas the Asuran city was decimated. This is only an arbitrary number I'm coming up with, it doesn't have any basis in canon, its just from observation.

I'm sure some of the more scientific minds on these forums will be able to supply some more solid numbers based on what we've seen, I'm just going to go with the above

Comment

I dont think a ZPM, or as Mckay so often calls it ZedPM, has the power to destroy an entire solar system. Porject Aratcus destroyed a solar system and it was suposed to put out the power of 25 ZPMs so i dont think anything less then that will do it.
      What ever i am now, what ever this makes me, what evers happened to me, it doesnt change the man i am, have been, or want to be.- Colonel Saul Tigh.

Some times you have to roll a hard six-Admiral Adama

sigpic -Rest in Peace Battlestar Pegasus. BS62!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

When they say a single ZPM can destroy a star system, that's a really, really bad description.

What does destroying a solar system mean? Is it destroying the space-time inside that solar system, because that is what a solar system is mostly comprised of; relatively empty space. If it's not destroying space-time, only redistributing the mass of the system, then pretty much everything would be "destroyed".

99% of the mass of our solar system is the sun. All the planets, comets, asteroids and other rocks make up that last 1%. That means that if any large percent of the solar system's mass is "blown up", for all intents and purposes, the entire solar system is destroyed.
        Jarnin's Law of StarGate:

1. As a StarGate discussion grows longer, the probability of someone mentioning the Furlings approaches one.

Comment

^^^true. Never thought about it about it like that, this puts a diffrent edge to the question. But i still dont think a single ZPM can destroy anything like a planet or sun. but we now from Project Araticus(think thats the spelling0 that 25 will. So i stand by my claim. Nothng less then 25 will do.
          What ever i am now, what ever this makes me, what evers happened to me, it doesnt change the man i am, have been, or want to be.- Colonel Saul Tigh.

Comment

I think the Tainted ZPM could because of whatever it was Tainted with. The element that coated the ZPM would have magnified the explosion to super nova type levels.

Comment

When did they say that Project Araticus=25 ZPMs (or are you guessing)

But we have seen three ZPMs overload and they only took out a city the size of Atlantis, or at least thats what I think happened (someone smarter can either prove me right or wrong)
              Vote Anubis for President in 2012
              A Face you Can Trust
              sigpic
              So whats the worst that could happen?
              Supporter of the "It's Asgard, NOT AsgUard !" campaign
              It is better to debate a question without settling it than to settle a question without debating it.

Comment

The destructive force of a ZPM is relative to how much power is being used during the detonation.

Examples:

- if the ZPM is inactive and you drop it, no big deal, except that your an idiot for dropping a ZPM.

- if your actively drawing power from the ZPM and you break it, then you get an explosion, again relative to how much power your drawing from the ZPM.

As seen in 'Critical Mass' (S02E13) a ZPM is like a dam. It controls the flow of energy from subspace much like a dam controls the flow of water. If the dam is overloaded, the dam breaks and all that energy escapes at once. McKay explained that the ancients had safety protocols in place to ensure that the ZPM stays below those limits, hence a ZPM overload would be disabling those safety protocols.

We have also seen that a ZPM ('Adrift') can also pour out massive amounts of energy while still being stable. In 'Adrift', due to the damaged primary conduits, the single zpm was pumping out so much power that 'we'd be lucky if we made it through the night', so less then 24 hours. This is interesting since in 'The Seige - Part 3', the combined force of 12 hive ships would of taken a matter of days to fully deplete a ZPM with the shield active.

----

As for Project Arcturus - According to 'Trinity', Arcturus, at 50% would still generate the power of a dozen ZPMs - so two dozen for 100%. It took even more then that to finally overload the system, triggering the explosion. We also have to keep in mind the the weapon was also discharging energy, in an effort to prevent a massive overload. So, in order for Arcturus to destroy an entire solar system.... 25+ at the very least, if not more.

Comment

yes and the correct spelling is "arcturus". not aratis or so. the tainted zpm most likely would cause a full discharge. 50% of its power released at once. annother mention was if it was plugged into the arctic superweapon. so the explosion woul count:

1: zpm 50% full full discharge
                  2: all that is in the arctic outpost.
                  3: loads of nukes at earth
                  4 earth itself.
                  5: due to proximity to jupiter, other planets would cause a chain reaction. in certain events, jupiter would be destroyed, along with several other plants. so circumstances would count along.

also, i dont think a zpm is made from glass. it would be a substance closer to diamond. if ancients were smart.

arcturus' power generation is equal to all power in this universe. 10^116 megajoule vaporizes the milkyway. so it would be much much more than that. the only restriction is materials.

Comment

Originally posted by fugiman View Post
                    When did they say that Project Araticus=25 ZPMs (or are you guessing)

But we have seen three ZPMs overload and they only took out a city the size of Atlantis, or at least thats what I think happened (someone smarter can either prove me right or wrong)
                    I believe that after McKay figured out what it did, when he started working on it he got an estimate on how much power it put out. That was before he blew up the system though...

Comment

True, but 1 zpm would have been enough to destroy atlantis on the ground, it was shown in the episode where the trust hacked the os, I'm not sure why they said it took 3 in progeny, probably because tptb didn't want them to get an extra zpm.
                      Best quotes ever:
                      O’NEILL: I hope you like Guinness, Sir. I find it a refreshing substitute for food.
                      Jack O'neill: I hope you diplomatically told him where to shove it.
                      Teal'c:If you once again try to harm me or one of my companions, my patience with you will expire.
                      Carter: You know, you blow up one sun and suddenly everyone expects you to walk on water.
                      Thor:I like the yellow ones
                      O´Neill:Hey, if you had been listening, you´d know that Nintendos pass through everything.

Comment

because mckay didnt have enough time to use just one zpm for the job. for one, you need to remove MANY failsafes to overload it in order to destroy the city. and it would take longer to blowup. instead, 3 overloading together takes less time.

Comment

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
                          because mckay didnt have enough time to use just one zpm for the job. for one, you need to remove MANY failsafes to overload it in order to destroy the city. and it would take longer to blowup. instead, 3 overloading together takes less time.
                          I didn't hear anything about that, I still like the idea though
                          Best quotes ever:
                          O’NEILL: I hope you like Guinness, Sir. I find it a refreshing substitute for food.
                          Jack O'neill: I hope you diplomatically told him where to shove it.
                          Teal'c:If you once again try to harm me or one of my companions, my patience with you will expire.
                          Carter: You know, you blow up one sun and suddenly everyone expects you to walk on water.
                          Thor:I like the yellow ones
                          O´Neill:Hey, if you had been listening, you´d know that Nintendos pass through everything.

Comment

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
                            wtf are you talking about...

once McKay had the code in 'Critical Mass', all he had to do was turn back on the failsafe, implying that to turn them off is the reverse. You have no idea how many fail safes there are so I dont get how you can comment like that.

Obviously using 3 zpm takes less time, its a bigger bang then 1

Comment

there must be, or he just put them off, overloaded one and bye bye asuras. instead, he needed all three. if this is ridiculous, then im sticking with the time to overload thing. been wondering though. couldnt they just set a zpm to overload and detonate some c4 near it ? or would that be like the tainted zpm and all would be blown up?

Comment

Working...
                              X