The Ronon - Teal'c initial conflict

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Ronon - Teal'c initial conflict

This thread is not about who would have won the fight - this was discussed already .

What bothered me was Ronon's childish attitude : when Sam introduced Teal'c to him Ronon was unnaturally aggressive - he didn't even shake hands. He was very rude and aggressive, as if he would have met a hated old enemy .

Ok , they are both warriors and sometimes warriors confront as a training for future battles . But there were really no reasons for hatred .

That's why I think that Ronon's behavior was immature .

On the other hand, Teal'c had the right reaction : he seems a little amused by the temper of the younger warrior. If Ronon wants to fight , Teal'c is of course ready to give him a good fight. Teal'c is much more balanced and self-confident compared to Ronon .

So, Ronon's attitude comes from the fact that he doesn't like to be babysitted. But his aggresive reaction towards Teal'c only proves that he could learn a lot from Teal'c about self-confidence and about focusing on the real enemies !

I thought Ronan was slightly out of character. I thought it had been established that hes not some stupid animal or child but was a respected member of the military on his planet. Teal'c is someone he doesnt even know but whom people say is a respected member of the military. It would have made more sense if he treated Teal'c like he treats everyone else when he meets them (which I hope isnt this way, otherwise he needs to be off the first contact team). His reaction would have been more appropriate had it occured after Teal'c did the caffeteria thing to him or if there was some other reason given.

As it was Ronan did just look like an unreasonable, unlikeable child for no good reason and I certainly wouldnt want him as an ambassador to the people of Atlantis. If he's going to be like that, then I recommend leaving him in the gym until you have some wraith to kill, not taking him on exploratory missions and NEVER take him to earth if thats how he is going to treat every other warrior he meets.
    Joseph Mallozzi -"In the meantime, I'm into season 5 of OZ (where the show takes an unfortunate hairpin turn into "the not so wonderful world of fantasy")"

^^^ Kinda sounds like seasons 9 and 10 of SG-1 to me. Thor, ya got Aspirin?

AGateFan has officially Gone Fishin (with Jack, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c) and is hoping Atlantis does not take that same hairpin turn.

Comment

Ronan is still very young. No matter what he's been trough, he still has a lot to learn.

I think the fact that the people in Atlantis didn't trust him to pass the interview hurt him, and he acted like every kid who tries to prove himself. He rebelled against the authority and tried to do everything on his own.

Teal'c wasn't offended by his attitude because he's dealt with similar situation in the past. He thought Ronan a lesson in the fight, cause Ronan is used to being the strongest person on base, and it might have gone to his head.

They have a very similar personality, but Teal'c's experience is of incredible value and I think in time Ronan would have the self-confidence to stay calm even if he is insulted or dis-respected.
      sigpic

Comment

That was my take as well, he was mad because Sam didn't think he could pass his IOA interview on his own.

Vala,

Comment

bah, just plain stupid. he acted and looked stupid - you know, Chewie - then again he never was portrayed as a smart kinda bloke anyway, so some consistence there I guess

he did redeem himself later on though, as he came to respect & in the end even appreciate Tealc for the warrior he was

Comment

Ronon wasn’t please that Sam thought he couldn’t pass the review and she was right, for all we know he is still mad at her for the fact she didn’t allow him to bring his friends over to Atlantis when she got the charge of the city/base, yes they team up at the end but as always we didn’t see the end of that argument, although at the end Ronon had to acknowledge Carter was right in her assumption.

He probably felt like Teal’c was invading his territory and react it to that, but his disrespect for Carter when he plain ignore her and spiting that water told me he still doesn’t like her, Teal’c kind of got the hint that’s why he ask her to steep aside, and you could see he didn’t like the way Ronon traded Carter as well.

At the end Ronon did learn from Teal’c, He is older, wiser and calmer, BUT even with all of this there were episodes when Teal’c could go off the handle when he go after his enemies.

So here’s hoping the writers kill the childish attitude in the future and develop a mature Ronon.
            sigpic

Dare and Dream

Comment

I disagree that it's out of character. We've seen from Ronon's past that this is the way that he behaves when confronted with someone that he feels could either challenge or hold authority over him. He did the same with Wier, although to a lesser degree since it was obvious he wouldn't have to fight her. He even behaved the same way when faced with the replicator version of himself (who I don't feel qualifies as an enemy, since they had stated their intentions to assist and made it clear that they were not Asuran). He was hostile to Shep and Teyla when he first encountered them as well.

We can see from other Satedan's that we've met that they are agressive at least, if not hostile, until you earn their respect. Add that to the years he's spent running, you have a lifetime of habit that is not going to be erased in two years. I don't think it is a matter of childishness or lack of intelligence. He was raised among people who show respect through superior strength, and he has also had a period of at least eight years where he has repeatedly seen that he can not trust people, and not automatically trusting people was integral to his survival.

I can also see Teal'c behaving in a similar manner when he was younger, given the past history we have seen of him. I think he was able to react so well because he has the age and experience, and a lot more learning than Ronon has, to be able to understand Ronon and know how to handle him. I think that is one of the things he meant when he said that he can see a lot of potential in Ronon- that Ronon can also learn the lessons that he has.
              Last edited by Lauriel; 19 February 2008, 09:43 PM.
              sigpic
              My LJ & Fics * Proud Member of W.A.S.P. * Pay It Forward

Comment

This was a reminder of how annoying Ronon can be as a character. It felt like a step back for him. I've never liked him much, but this took it to a new level. I suppose what I'm saying is: this wasn't out of character for him, even though he was clearly being a petulant jerk.
                Theoretically spoilerish:
                Spoiler:
                Sig courtesy of Pandora.

Comment

I thought the whole Ronon vs. Teal'c thing was unnecessary and self indulgent on the part of the writers and a clear gift to fans of the whole godzilla vs. superman nonsense that keeps popping up all over the place. The only purpose of that fight was to satisfy that neverending question of who would win in fight.

If it seemed out of character that's because they probably started with an end they wanted to acheive and worked backward to get the characters there, disregarding what actually makes sense.

"You know what would make a good story? Something about a clown who makes people happy, but inside he's real sad. Also, he has severe diarrhea." - Jack Handy

Comment

Ronon is a man of action. He felt that his actions working with the team would be enough to convince the new IOA guy that he was on their side. Everyone else disagreed. Ronon took that as a shot at his loyalty, which angered him. He took the fact that everyone else thought he would benefit from some coaching personally. When he met Teal'C, he was annoyed and angry with the way he was being treated. He took it out on Teal'C. It's not that complicated and this kind of thing happens in real life all the time when two alpha males butt heads.
                    I'm not an actor. I just play one on TV.

Comment

In my opinion, it showed how shallow and brainless Dex actually is. Supposedly, Sateda was a civilized place, but Dex's behavior leads one to believe that his home was populated by cave-dwelling savages who communicate by showing off unprovoked aggression towards anything that is new to them.

Comment

Oy, it's nothing to do with Teal'c being "new", it's that he was a symbol of the distrust the others have for him behaving well while being interviewed. Ronon doesn't like to be look down on.

Comment

Originally posted by fordpickup&6pack View Post
                          In my opinion, it showed how shallow and brainless Dex actually is. Supposedly, Sateda was a civilized place, but Dex's behavior leads one to believe that his home was populated by cave-dwelling savages who communicate by showing off unprovoked aggression towards anything that is new to them.
                          Ronon's behavior does often seem strangely atavistic when you consider that he comes from an advanced world.

Comment

Originally posted by BubblingOverWithIdeas View Post
                            Ronon's behavior does often seem strangely atavistic when you consider that he comes from an advanced world.
                            He comes from an advanced world that he saw destroyed in front of him. He then spent years on the run, being hunted by Wraith as a kind of game. If that's not a recipe for going a bit feral... well, I don't know what is.
                            "There's not a little boy born who wouldn't tear the world apart to save his mummy... and this little boy can." --The Doctor.
                            "The plastic tips at the ends of shoelaces are called Aglets. Their true purpose is sinister."--The Question.
                            BAD WOLF!!!

Comment

Originally posted by IMForeman View Post
                              He comes from an advanced world that he saw destroyed in front of him. He then spent years on the run, being hunted by Wraith as a kind of game. If that's not a recipe for going a bit feral... well, I don't know what is.

Still, I think they characterize him more as a Conan type than like that. I realize it's a bit subjective.

Comment

Working...
                              X