Irises on Midway

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Irises on Midway

I think that earth and atlantis showed some almost goa'uld like stupidity and overconfidance here, by not adding iris's to the midway gates. never underestimate your enemy, it seems we're getting so powerful we are begining to make the same mistakes as the Goa'uld.

Also Kavanagh is an idiot, end off!

I loved the midways station, i hope they bring kavanagh back so he can die!

Click Signature for my take on all things in life, also known as my BLOG!!
    Please Read and if it interest you make a comment

Atlantis -
    SG1 -

They were overconfident, they shouldn't be, given the number of times the Wraith surprised them.
    I liked the episode, while some points bugged me I can ignore them.

What I found more pathetic, were the two guards, there was an unscheduled activation but they still didn't draw their weapons until they saw the Wraith very sloppy.

I would have thought midway could go into a lock down like the SGC, the wraith got to the command center to quick.
    Last edited by Hypochondriac; 15 February 2008, 07:07 AM.

Comment

Considering you have to use a special macro from a specific gate, I'm not surprised they didn't have an iris. Of course after Todd went through, I would have added one, but it wouldn't have really mattered. The Wraith cracked the one code, they could have gotten an iris open, too.

Comment

I have to agree that with the extremely rapid acceleration of our technological development over the last 6 years (when the 302 was unveiled - our first major development from Stargate tech), we have always been very careful to not get over confident.

It would seem that ideology slipped a little with Midway. NOTHING is ever TOTALLY secure. Even if the chances of someone penetrating the system were a million to one, Irises are a relatively inexpensive and highly effective method for ensuring that if anyone does penetrate the system, they will be very quickly splatted.

Having said that, it it weren't for that particular little plot device, we wouldn't have had this fantastic episode, so it was all worth it in the end!

Comment

because it's a macro it's not possible to send idc to midway to open a gate.
          you would have to stop at the last planet used and send idc from there.

Comment

Originally posted by Myles View Post
            Considering you have to use a special macro from a specific gate, I'm not surprised they didn't have an iris. Of course after Todd went through, I would have added one, but it wouldn't have really mattered. The Wraith cracked the one code, they could have gotten an iris open, too.
            We don't know if Todd went to Earth via midway or if Atlantis just dialled Earth direct. I assume the later since it was mentioned in the ep that Todd likely hacked into the Atlantis computers when he was working with McKay.
            A word of advice... there are creatures that live between this dimension and the next, fiendish creatures that feast on the suffering of an entire world to satiate their eternal hunger. Support the Gateworld Cantina or suffer the fate of all who fall into the clutches of the 'Eladrith Ynneas'

Comment

Originally posted by inta View Post
              because it's a macro it's not possible to send idc to midway to open a gate.
              you would have to stop at the last planet used and send idc from there.
              It is possible because the SGC received an IDC from the last gate in the Milky Way portion of the bridge.
              All you need to do is attach a transmitter to the last gate in the chain, hook it up to the gate so the macro can access it, and just have the macro send the IDC via the transmitter.

Comment

Somewhat over confidence.

Ori are done, Asurans are "finished".

Earth's 304's > Ori ships > Aurora's > Hives.

Comment

Originally posted by Cree View Post
                  I think that earth and atlantis showed some almost goa'uld like stupidity and overconfidance here, by not adding iris's to the midway gates. never underestimate your enemy, it seems we're getting so powerful we are begining to make the same mistakes as the Goa'uld.

I agree but if they had these counter measures we wouldn't have a sweet ass episode. But i agree if they had iris and IDCs they wouldn't have a problem like this and what i found really disturbing is the 2 guards at the gate room when a unscheduled gate activation, they where still talking and before they knew it pow pow. If you looked at the SGC/SGA every time they get a unscheduled gate activation they arm the entrance so if anything that steps out of the gate looks non human they can get them....

...all in all i bet the IOA is writing a report on this
                  DAM YOU SCI FI.....DAM U TO SCI HELL arghhhh.....

Comment

I will say what i said to myself while I was watching this episode: The Ancients were far too often over confidant in themselves and their technology, and so are we. It will most likely lead to our demise one day, if it to ever occur.

Comment

Indeed, that was my first thought. The fact that there was no iris/shield on the midway gates was pure stupidity.

Comment

I think the Wraith were equally stupid.

1. Why did they only stun the people at the SGC? they fed on like 5 people or less, and ignored the rest? I am suprised they didn't feed on more people, not that I wanted them to.

2. What were the Wraith hoping to do on Earth? gather intel? If Todd did indeed give them intel, he should have told them the base was underground and that getting out would not be possible.

As for the Midway station, there was no Iris because they assumed no one knew about Midway or would be unable to break the macro.

When it comes to Midway security, I do find it odd that the station has less than 10 people on it, and that Lee or Kavenough didn't activate the self destruct once they saw the Wraith invading.

Comment

I know. The Midway Station was an idea that could have been explored much further. I am not happy that it got wiped out.

I think that the reason that they destryoed the Midway Station was because they needed to clear the set for the design of the Phoenix (new Battlecruiser)
                          Subspace Energy Technology Thread
                          http://forum.gateworld.net/showthrea...68#post8685268

Comment

For Severe Stupidity I have to throw McKay in there as well. Kav is just second, becuase he wouldn't know but he's smart enough to have been cautious---or obviously not.

When he said..."He wouldn't do that. They were our allies..." ...I could have thrown a shoe at him or wished the Wraith upon him.

Give me a break, he was one of the ones caught in the damn wraith trap in Allies and now he's talking as though wraith can be fully trusted. He's out of his mind. The naivete just irked me like no other.
                            Click statement above to read article.

Comment

You had to use that macro so they thought they were secure. agree on Kav I was hoping he would die.
                              Proud Sam/Jack and Daniel/Vala and John/Teyla Shipper!
                              "We're Americans! Shoot the guys following us!"
                              Don S. Davis 1942-2008 R.I.P. My Friend.

Comment

Working...
                              X