PDA

View Full Version : Teal'c whats with the hair?

kymeric
February 16th, 2008, 08:12 AM
Lol @ the hair gag

But what did people think of the hair on tealc? Quite the opposite of Carter i thought it looked very jaffa-ish. I thought his short do in season 8-10 was more earthen

AGateFan
February 16th, 2008, 08:51 AM
I thought it looked foolish and is not particularly useful in a fight as it will get in your eyes (No need for your enemy to throw something in your eyes to temporary blind you) and leaves a handhold for your enemy (who ironically dont follow any sort of dont grab the hair rules when fighting).

I thought it also looked particularly dirty and greasy, which seemed contrary to the rest of his very tidy, very disciplned looking clothing.

IrishPisano
February 16th, 2008, 09:01 AM
i think it shows that teal'c has been fully assimilated back into the Jaffa civilization...

AGateFan
February 16th, 2008, 09:04 AM
i think it shows that teal'c has been fully assimilated back into the Jaffa civilization...
I dont see how it says that, when most Jaffa have short or non existant hair... and Teal'c was even going to shave O'Neills head when he was in O'Neills body (one presumes because it was a jaffa thing). Heck their base headgear is a skull cap that makes the ones with hair look like their bald.

IMForeman
February 16th, 2008, 11:14 AM
I thought it looked foolish and is not particularly useful in a fight as it will get in your eyes (No need for your enemy to throw something in your eyes to temporary blind you) and leaves a handhold for your enemy (who ironically dont follow any sort of dont grab the hair rules when fighting).

On a lesser man than Teal'c that might be true. But let's face it... Teal'c is the man.

kymeric
February 16th, 2008, 11:21 AM
I dont see how it says that, when most Jaffa have short or non existant hair... and Teal'c was even going to shave O'Neills head when he was in O'Neills body (one presumes because it was a jaffa thing). Heck their base headgear is a skull cap that makes the ones with hair look like their bald.

I think that was a jaffa cultral thing, note his hair changed about the time the guaould were almost all dead. Like how wearing crosses would go out of fashion if.... owait

Rosehawk
February 16th, 2008, 11:21 AM
I like the new hair.

I wasn't particularly fond of the bald look on him. :P

Mitchell82
February 16th, 2008, 11:32 AM
On a lesser man than Teal'c that might be true. But let's face it... Teal'c is the man.

:indeed:

prion
February 16th, 2008, 11:35 AM

I thought it also looked particularly dirty and greasy, which seemed contrary to the rest of his very tidy, very disciplned looking clothing.

there are two exceptionally good reasons for teal'c's grease-laden hair

1) it's hair conditioner. no one told him once he gooped it all on that he should have rinsed it out

2) it's a secret weapon (one which the writers forgot to utilize). get in a jam? squeeze out some gook, toss on floor, your enemy slips and breaks a leg.

otherwise, it's something i wouldn't want to touch it...

Lord batchi ball
February 16th, 2008, 05:29 PM
At first I was like WTF!! Then it kind of grew on me, then I liked it.

nx01a
February 16th, 2008, 05:57 PM
Disturbingly reminded me of Michael Jackson. The only real person who could survive a Wraith feeding, I believe.

Skydiver
February 16th, 2008, 06:04 PM
not a hairstyle that i like.

right after sga aired, we caught the TV guide special and they showed scenes of chris practicinig...and he was wearing a headband. LOL

that's why long hair on warriors is bad, it gets in the way

prion
February 16th, 2008, 06:16 PM

right after sga aired, we caught the TV guide special and they showed scenes of chris practicinig...and he was wearing a headband. LOL

actually, long hair is bad because your opponent can grab it, pin your head back and then slit your throat.... of course with the weight of Ronon's hair, he coudl whip it around and probably take out someone's eye, so his is a weapon, and Teal'c's is so greasy, nobody could grab it! *cough*

Kribby
February 16th, 2008, 06:40 PM
actually, long hair is bad because your opponent can grab it, pin your head back and then slit your throat.... of course with the weight of Ronon's hair, he coudl whip it around and probably take out someone's eye, so his is a weapon, and Teal'c's is so greasy, nobody could grab it! *cough*

Oh, so weird. I am wondering if the fact that folks think his hair is 'greasy' is a cultural thing.

I honestly thought it just looked shiny-- and/or perhaps sweaty...

Actually, grease didn't even register-- before I saw this thread.

You do know that black people tend to ADD greasy substances to their hair to condition it. Really. Seriously.

I am not white-- I have no real clue--and I don't pay attention-- because it is NOT my culture-- but I assume greasy hair is like an anathema or something-- to white people? I guess.

Black people use grease to seal the cuticle and keep their hair healthy-- especially if it has been chemically processed. It looks like Chris Judge might have undergone a slight chemical straightening process-- commonly called a perm or relaxer. In the past, when he has had hair it has been far more tightly curled.

The idea of Teal'C going to a black hair salon on Earth and getting a relaxer amuses me to NO END!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Black people have an assortment of hair greases that they choose from... just checking my bathroom cabinet....

Castor Oil
Mink Oil
Indian Hemp (really, that's what the container says-- it's a petroleum based GREASE with little flecks of herbal things)
Jojoba Oil
African Pride OIL

etc. etc.

Here is a link of EIGHTEEN pages of some greasy, some not... black hair care products.

http://www.hairproducts.com/products_-11.htm

-K

nx01a
February 16th, 2008, 06:47 PM
Oh, so weird. I am wondering if the fact that folks think his hair is 'greasy' is a cultural thing.
I believe the 'culture' you refer to is 70s/80s culture. :P

Pharaoh Atem
February 16th, 2008, 06:53 PM

all the more reason why jason is cutting his for season 5

Skydiver
February 16th, 2008, 06:55 PM
i know all about A/A hair and the need to relax/grease it. the only way to control/straighten the naturally coarse and kinky hair. however, even knowing that it's simple grooming, doesn't change that it looks greasy and not very pleasant simply because, at the thought of touching it, all you can think is how you'll have to wash your hands afterwards :)

Kribby
February 16th, 2008, 07:10 PM
i know all about A/A hair and the need to relax/grease it. the only way to control/straighten the naturally coarse and kinky hair. however, even knowing that it's simple grooming, doesn't change that it looks greasy and not very pleasant simply because, at the thought of touching it, all you can think is how you'll have to wash your hands afterwards :)

... I guess...

I would wash my hands after touching anyones hair-- my hair is greasy right now and unless my hubby is lying he really doesn't care-- of course he is also black. Different points of view, you know.

From my point of view, Teal'C didn't look poorly groomed.

I was just re-viewing the episode... I see his hair as shiny and healthy when he first shows up on Atlantis... after the sparring match and wraith fights it just looks soaked with sweat.

Seriously, I think people are just looking at it from a different cultural point of view.

Kribby
February 16th, 2008, 07:10 PM
I believe the 'culture' you refer to is 70s/80s culture. :P

Dunno about that... My mom and dad had greasy afros in the 70's and greasy flat hair in the 80's

Shipperahoy
February 16th, 2008, 07:11 PM
Yeah, I'm really hating the greasy do. I was fine with it when they said he was going to be getting hair in season 8 and I thought that it looked pretty good but as it got longer it just got messier and dirtier looking. I don't know if it's because he was bald for so long but it's kind of hard to buy the whole stoic warrior thing when he looks like an extra from Coming to America's Soul Glo commercial.

Of course, maybe it's a tactical move. If the enemy tries to grab him he'd just slip through their grips. :D

nx01a
February 16th, 2008, 07:17 PM
That stuff's dangerous if you get it in your eyes, right? If Ronon can flick his hair Mortal Kombat style and take an eye out, then Teal'c can do the same and blind the opponents with his deadly... Jaffa Ha'Ir Jel!

nx01a
February 16th, 2008, 07:23 PM
i know all about A/A hair and the need to relax/grease it.
I wouldn't say it's a need so much as a culturally-reinforced thing. I, for one, love my kinky hair, though I usually shave all of it off save the beard and go Sisko. :tealc:
There're lots of natural styles that can modify black hair without the grease of the Jheri curl. Just plain straightening it won't make it greasy. Lol. Anti-perm.:P
It'd be hilarious to see Teal'c return, going all Earth ethno-chic.
http://images.jupiterimages.com/common/detail/98/39/22863998.jpg

Kribby
February 16th, 2008, 07:32 PM
There're lots of natural styles that can modify black hair without the grease of the Jheri curl. Just plain straightening it won't make it greasy. Lol. Anti-perm.:P
It'd be hilarious to see Teal'c return, going all Earth ethno-chic.

I am telling you... we need to see Teal'C on earth... in a salon/barbershop getting that hairdo!

It would be akin to seeing Teal'C in Barbershop or Beauty Shop!

kymeric
February 16th, 2008, 07:43 PM
I had hair to my waist in the 90s and i shave my head bald in the 00s... IM REVERSE TEALC

nx01a
February 16th, 2008, 07:46 PM
It would be akin to seeing Teal'C in Barbershop or Beauty Shop!
Sorry, I'm black but not American and I find those movies a bit... much. The first 'Friday' was the last African-American-themed movie I saw that I liked. Or was that Nutty Professor?
Teal'c would slaughter Cedric the Entertainer and his cohorts, but I think Queen Latifah would give him a run for his weave.

Kribby
February 16th, 2008, 07:53 PM
Sorry, I'm black but not American and I find those movies a bit... much. The first 'Friday' was the last African-American-themed movie I saw that I liked. Or was that Nutty Professor?
Teal'c would slaughter Cedric the Entertainer and his cohorts, but I think Queen Latifah would give him a run for his weave.

I am just seeing the eyebrow raising... and the most obnoxious of African American characters in the movie held up against the wall by Teal'C with one hand...

Teal'C slaughtering Cedric the Entertainer-- that's true entertainment! Q.L. would really give him a run for his weave!:tealc:

Thermonuclearboy
February 16th, 2008, 08:05 PM
Well, if anyone can pull off the jheri curl, it's Teal'c. Teal'c is awesome.

But I do wonder what the state of affairs back in our galaxy is. I mean, presumably the Jaffa are still trying to get their act together. What is Teal'c doing? Is he working with the Jaffa again? And what's the state of SG-1 without Carter? So many questions...

nx01a
February 16th, 2008, 08:08 PM
A status report would have been nice.
I always find Teal'c a bit hard to figure out in terms of leading the Jaffa/commanding their respect. He'll kill you where you stand, speak eloquently and sway councils... then he's talking about tattertots. His fascination with/assimilation by Earth always puzzled me. It's like going native.:)

SoulReaver
February 16th, 2008, 11:40 PM
eey another hair thread

major disappointment, that haircut. it doesn't even suit him http://img.infos-du-net.com/forum/icones/smilies/pfff.gif

but only a minor annoyance, t'was good to see him again :tealc:

Rodneys Gun Tutor
February 17th, 2008, 04:11 AM
CJ mentioned in an interview that he was growing his hair for another project

Skydiver
February 17th, 2008, 06:09 AM
i think culture does have some input. I'm not black, so i don't deal with the AA hair types beyoond seeing other people having the style. and, personally, used to work fast food so, even knowing that it's bad for my hair, i wash mine every day cause i can't stand it feeling greasy.

so, slick looking hair, be it on a black, hispanic or white, isn't pleasant for me cause i just don't do the greasy thing.

i liked teal'c's hair in seasons 8 and 9, but don't care for the long stringy look he had in midway

JohnDuh
February 17th, 2008, 01:53 PM
Lol @ the hair gag

But what did people think of the hair on tealc? Quite the opposite of Carter i thought it looked very jaffa-ish. I thought his short do in season 8-10 was more earthen

Terrible hair - he looked like a reject from Jaffa Idol *g*

Or a black Bill Maher ;)

Skydiver
February 18th, 2008, 05:58 AM
imagines teal'c in a faux-hawk

Gelasius
February 18th, 2008, 06:30 AM
i liked his hair

Defiant

aaobuttons
February 18th, 2008, 07:01 AM
The hair itself didn't really bother me, it's just the style he's wearing. What I did find odd, was the fact that he was wearing it like that at all. Spoiler for Unending He spent 50 or so years on that ship and never felt the need to grow/change his hair, but he's back on Earth for a year and he grows it out... it just didn't seem to mesh with what we've seen of him.

Skydiver
February 18th, 2008, 07:23 AM
although, we do have to accept that chris himself was growing it for another role.

IrishPisano
February 18th, 2008, 08:41 AM
hey... when you've lived 60 years in less than a second... when you've had time rewound around you... and you can still hold your own against Ronon Dex... you're entitled to some artistic liberty with your hair

gopher65
February 18th, 2008, 09:42 AM
You do know that black people tend to ADD greasy substances to their hair to condition it. Really. Seriously.

I am not white-- I have no real clue--and I don't pay attention-- because it is NOT my culture-- but I assume greasy hair is like an anathema or something-- to white people? I guess.

Black people use grease to seal the cuticle and keep their hair healthy-- especially if it has been chemically processed.
I didn't know that was a black culture thing, but it definitely works. Our hair is greasy for a reason, and if you completely strip away the grease every day it damages the hair. That causes it to break more easily, making your hair thin, wispy, and split-endie.

I don't know if it is specifically a white culture thing (certain sub-cultures of white people purposefully grease their hair too), but where I live greasy hair is synonymous with dirtiness. (Fairly or unfairly, that's how it is.) I guess this is because people who have shortish hair who don't bath on a regular basis have greasy heads.

<snip>personally, used to work fast food so, even knowing that it's bad for my hair, i wash mine every day cause i can't stand it feeling greasy.
I've never worked in fast food (yet:mckay:), but I use to be a cook, and I feel the same way. Some people who I worked with showered on a bi-daily basis, and man were they greasy and gross.

Miss_Izzy
February 18th, 2008, 10:56 AM
The more I saw Teal'c's hair, the less it bothered me. I didn't mind the grease, just the length. (I like my guys clean cut! :tealc:) His hair is Season 9 was just as greasy, but it was short and styled nicely (I believe CJ referred to it as the "Spartan look"), so I liked it.

The.Road.Not.Taken
February 18th, 2008, 11:50 AM
i liked it too. I thought it suited him Lol.. at first i absolutely hated it but i think its wkd now!

IMForeman
February 19th, 2008, 05:07 PM
hey... when you've lived 60 years in less than a second... when you've had time rewound around you... and you can still hold your own against Ronon Dex... you're entitled to some artistic liberty with your hair

I wonder what the sparring match would have been like with a Teal'c in his prime with Junior still in residence... Like 5th Season Teal'c. That would have been awesome. Not that this wasn't.

nosaj
February 19th, 2008, 05:40 PM
did anyone else think that maybe they dont have showers in the tents that the jaffa live in so if he is fully integrated into the jaffa culture again he may not be on base much and so his hair is messed up because of it. one shower is not gonna give him great hair

IMForeman
February 19th, 2008, 05:56 PM
did anyone else think that maybe they dont have showers in the tents that the jaffa live in so if he is fully integrated into the jaffa culture again he may not be on base much and so his hair is messed up because of it. one shower is not gonna give him great hair

Nah, he's totally using product.

The.Road.Not.Taken
February 20th, 2008, 11:41 AM
Nah, he's totally using product.

what to make it look more greasy

s09119
February 20th, 2008, 11:46 AM
What does it matter if the hair gets in the way of fighting? By this point in time, Teal'c is more-or-less a Jaffa politician and, if it does come to combat, general rather than a front-line soldier.

Mitchell82
February 20th, 2008, 12:19 PM
i liked it too. I thought it suited him Lol.. at first i absolutely hated it but i think its wkd now!

I quite like his longer hair.

Neuromancer
July 24th, 2010, 02:05 AM
I found this thread looking for a definitive answer to Teal'c growing his hair back.

TBH the writers should have concluded something.

what I found was a confusing thing though, African Americans claiming that his hair do was cultural. It is for African AMERICANS. Not African... anything else. Nothing wrong with it and can easily be explained by time spent on Earth.

However as an ALIEN, and supposedly one that did not see color as a culture, I would be hard pressed to believe that. In fact the whole mythos of his race reminds me of Samurai more than anything else.

Which explains also why he and Ronan get along after battling together. (When I first heard the name I though OMG how STUPID are the writers? To do something so obvious? Ronin being a masterless samurai, pronounced exactly the same), him being... exactly what a ronin is.

Why would Teal'c unencumbered with Earthen cultural bias be drawn to a subculture of a culture that he would have no ties too? It does not make sense.

I get the issue. But really, there are a lot more pressing issues with the continuity of the show. Namely. Bring it back and screw Camshaft into a solid Naquadah block. :D (no point in chronically the 2 way worm hole travel in the early episodes, or other inconsistencies)

I have only watched the series 3-4 times (dozen?). Love SG-1 1-8. Even Atlantis has grown on me.

Still dont like SGU, despite Robert (Bigby!!!) and that Scarlett Johansen looking girl named... Johansen!! lol

Or that surgery girl in the tank top.

How did the director of Xfiles make Fringe so awesome?

Martina Magnus
August 11th, 2010, 05:31 AM
I quite like his longer hair.

He looked hilarious :D ... but still kinda cool :D