PDA

View Full Version : Wraith Stun bomb

2ndgenerationalteran
February 16th, 2008, 02:00 AM
Well that explains a lot if they can release that in an ancient ship how they got the ZPMs. Wonder if we can make something like that to work for us, and its range.

Integrabyte
February 16th, 2008, 02:03 AM
Well that explains a lot if they can release that in an ancient ship how they got the ZPMs. Wonder if we can make something like that to work for us, and its range.

It was nice to see something new from the Wraith. I loved how they neutralised the whole base in an instant :P. They had some tech if they destroyed the ancients :P

Icarium
February 16th, 2008, 04:08 AM
In fact, if they used another bomb to stun people in Midway first, they could make it to Earth much faster. Humans were lucky the Wraith didn't have a smarter or more cautious leader. ;)

Icarium

Lightbane
February 16th, 2008, 04:18 AM
If Michael had been doing it.. *shudders* he could have gotten on to the SGC hacked the computers found the data on hyperdrives and got back to the pegagus and used the tech as a bargaining chip. Then they could just totally bypass Midway and head straight for the MW, after disposing of Earth spread like a plague throughout the rest of the galaxy.

melfan
February 16th, 2008, 04:32 AM
If Michael had been doing it.. *shudders* he could have gotten on to the SGC hacked the computers found the data on hyperdrives and got back to the pegagus and used the tech as a bargaining chip. Then they could just totally bypass Midway and head straight for the MW, after disposing of Earth spread like a plague throughout the rest of the galaxy.

Shudder at the tought :eek:

Shan Bruce Lee
February 16th, 2008, 10:17 AM
In fact, if they used another bomb to stun people in Midway first, they could make it to Earth much faster. Humans were lucky the Wraith didn't have a smarter or more cautious leader. ;)

Icarium

maybe they only had one

Vala_M
February 16th, 2008, 10:20 AM
But they could only get into the SGC if they knew the IDC's which the Wraith at the Midway Space Station only got from Todd so there would be no attacking the SGC without an IDC.

Vala,

Icarium
February 16th, 2008, 11:53 AM
maybe they only had one

One? You must be kidding me! ;)

Icarium

Prior_of_the_Ori
February 16th, 2008, 12:31 PM
A love it when we get introduced to new and interesting technology and this bomb is one of them. I mean the capacity to take out an entire base? I mean if the Wraith managed to take out any defenses on the gates during the Wraith War with the Ancients then this would have been a potent weapon against the Lanteans.

Mitchell82
February 16th, 2008, 12:35 PM
It was nice to see something new from the Wraith. I loved how they neutralised the whole base in an instant :P. They had some tech if they destroyed the ancients :P
Agreed I quite liked that.

JSPuddlejumper
February 16th, 2008, 03:05 PM
Wraith stun bomb = much larger and more powerful version of the G'ould stun bomb.

They can simply make a larger version of the G'ould tech.

They may have more trouble with biological nature of the Wraith tech.

They should at least impliment some kind of defense against the stun bomb.

I think the problem for SGC is that it has too much alien tech. Hell, they have the entire freaking Asgard database and their replicators = can make anything outside a ZPM.

In nearly 12 years, they still do not have an energy based firearm, which is simply a ridiculous plot hole.

Fenrir Foxz
February 16th, 2008, 03:08 PM

Yup :D I think it about time the Wraith showed some really cool tech, they must have some good stuff even if it's not the best...

Wraith K'O beachball of doom :P

jelgate
February 16th, 2008, 04:39 PM
Wraith stun bomb = much larger and more powerful version of the G'ould stun bomb.

They can simply make a larger version of the G'ould tech.

They may have more trouble with biological nature of the Wraith tech.

They should at least impliment some kind of defense against the stun bomb.

I think the problem for SGC is that it has too much alien tech. Hell, they have the entire freaking Asgard database and their replicators = can make anything outside a ZPM.

In nearly 12 years, they still do not have an energy based firearm, which is simply a ridiculous plot hole.
Do you even know what a plot hole is?

2ndgenerationalteran
February 16th, 2008, 07:59 PM
the gould stun bomb and the wraith stun bomb dont even work in the same way the gould one relies on light and sound the wraith is a pulse of some energy. When some one recovers from the gould their sight is impaired while when you recover from the wraith you are perfectly fine. Wraith bomb penetrates solid substances, gould doesnt effect people standing on the other side of a wall.

JSPuddlejumper
February 17th, 2008, 05:29 AM
They have been able to come with such amazing feats: Installing and/or creating 304's, hyperdrive engines, Asgard beams, various power reactors etc...but they have been unable to create an Earth based energy weapon in 12 years? The closest was the one fired by Carter at a Lucien Alliance assassin. So they have been trying, but so far unable to make a viable version???

Energy based hand held weapon would be such a very primitive creation compared to the rest Earth has accomplished.

Thus, it is a plot hole.

jenks
February 17th, 2008, 05:37 AM
They have been able to come with such amazing feats: Installing and/or creating 304's, hyperdrive engines, Asgard beams, various power reactors etc...but they have been unable to create an Earth based energy weapon in 12 years? The closest was the one fired by Carter at a Lucien Alliance assassin. So they have been trying, but so far unable to make a viable version???

Energy based hand held weapon would be such a very primitive creation compared to the rest Earth has accomplished.

Thus, it is a plot hole.

Other than the Zat (which they routinely carry around) energy weapons have been no more effective than a P90, in fact probably less so, so I doubt they're much of a priority. Not to mention the fact that we have actually got an Earth based energy weapon of sorts - the ARG.

Buba uognarf
February 17th, 2008, 05:42 AM

Thus, it is a plot hole.

Or maybe our standard firearms are just more effective than any energy based firearm we could build? We've seen how much better our weapons are than the alien ones they do the job well. We don't need energy weapons unless they're going to have a good rate of fire, accuracy over long distances among other things.

And the Wraith stun bomb is [email protected] Way better than the Goa'uld version.

ciannwn
February 17th, 2008, 05:46 AM

I couldn't resist reading the transcript to see what everyone's talking about (I won't see it until Tuesday because I'm in the UK). I also wondered why they didn't have two bombs. This would have ensured that everyone on Midway was stunned just in case Ronon and his magic gun happened to be there at the time of their invasion. :)

JSPuddlejumper
February 17th, 2008, 05:48 AM
Teal'C was certainly impressed with Ronon's gun. Teal'C shot the Wraith about to feed on Ronon with it.

Teal'C said I need one of these. Ronon said "Wait in line". John also wanted them.

In most cases, Ronon's gun can kill a Wraith with 1 shot. P90's need several shots = precious seconds wasted.

Thus a powerful hand held weapon = 1 shot kill is needed for Earth forces.

Energy weapons would no doubt work far better against personal shields as well. It is far past time for Earth to get its own cool hand held energy weapon.

In the real world, US military is already experimenting with energy based weaponary. And Earth will definitely get hand held energy weapons FAR FAR BEFORE we get a battlecruiser resembling anything remotely close to a 304.

wise one
February 17th, 2008, 09:55 AM
when carter used that prototype weapon on the assasin it was deliberatly used to fail and malfuction so to suggest energy weapons were being introduced into earth level of technology

JSPuddlejumper
February 17th, 2008, 10:03 AM
Since guns really differentiate Earth military, they can have the best of both worlds.

Out with P-90's and in with whatever weapon Ronon and Teal'C were using. Then have an energy based sidearm.

Mitchell82
February 17th, 2008, 10:40 AM
Teal'C was certainly impressed with Ronon's gun. Teal'C shot the Wraith about to feed on Ronon with it.

Teal'C said I need one of these. Ronon said "Wait in line". John also wanted them.
I loved that scene.

In most cases, Ronon's gun can kill a Wraith with 1 shot. P90's need several shots = precious seconds wasted.

Thus a powerful hand held weapon = 1 shot kill is needed for Earth forces.

Energy weapons would no doubt work far better against personal shields as well. It is far past time for Earth to get its own cool hand held energy weapon.

In the real world, US military is already experimenting with energy based weaponary. And Earth will definitely get hand held energy weapons FAR FAR BEFORE we get a battlecruiser resembling anything remotely close to a 304.

Are you serious? As a former AF officer I can tell you in a battle between ray gun and huge battleship that could easily blow up any country we wish battleship wins hands down.

garhkal
February 17th, 2008, 02:23 PM

That is actyally a good point. Maybe this is the way they got the ZPMS from those ships like Todd said. But i wonder how they got them onto the Auroras..

SoulReaver
February 17th, 2008, 02:25 PM
just a copy of the goa'uld version albeit more "alien-looking". slightly different SFX too, the goa'uld ones were "flash grenades" whereas the wraith ones emitted a bluish wave that looked like an ARW pulse

JSPuddlejumper
February 17th, 2008, 03:45 PM
"Are you serious? As a former AF officer I can tell you in a battle between ray gun and huge battleship that could easily blow up any country we wish battleship wins hands down."

Obviously a battleship would be way better.

What I was trying to say is that we will have energy weapons before we will have Star Trek like spaceships.

Hypochondriac
February 17th, 2008, 06:18 PM
I would love to see them use the stun bomb to take over a Hive ship or cruiser. Or use it against an enemy, but I doubt we will ever see it again

artbrann
February 18th, 2008, 05:18 AM
Earth showed the P90(and other projectile weapons) were effective, but seriously lacked a ship to face off vs the then formidable Ha'tak...
our guns worked well, but till the 302/303/304 we couldn't do much vs them blowing us up from space

they obviously spent boatloads of R&D money on the ships, and are over budget to develop and make 'ray guns'

YutheGreat
February 18th, 2008, 06:59 AM
I suspect There are very few stun bombs left for the Wraith or else they would have brought more. They probably forgot how to make them. We know the Wraith have forgotten a lot of stuff during the mileniums. I don't think the Wraith could use them on Atlantis. I suspect the Ancients build countermeasures on ATlantis to defend themselves with.

If you had a few hundreds of these babies the Wraith could knock out a sizeable continent. They can wiped out significant populations in no time.

ciannwn
February 18th, 2008, 07:08 AM
I suspect There are very few stun bombs left for the Wraith or else they would have brought more.

The scriptwriter didn't allow them to bring more. If the Wraith had managed to stun everyone on Midway, Ronon and Teal'c wouldn't have been able to do their super hero act. :D

2ndgenerationalteran
February 19th, 2008, 01:17 AM
Or this bomb is their newest addition to an arsenal, which if it is it would be dissapointing as that would no longer explain how the wraith took out the crew of 3 Auroras with ZPMs. if the gate security shot it instead of watch it i wonder if it would have activated earlier or shut off or function in some more horrific way.

Ouroboros
February 19th, 2008, 02:28 AM
One of these bombs would have been an instant win for them in "the seige". Good thing 12 hiveships full of thousand year old space vampires didn't think of that huh.

Prior_of_the_Ori
February 19th, 2008, 03:59 AM
One of these bombs would have been an instant win for them in "the seige". Good thing 12 hiveships full of thousand year old space vampires didn't think of that huh.

Actually it would have been 2 Hiveship full of thousands of years old Wraith ;) going to be 3 but one was destroyed by the LaGrangian Point Satellite. That Wraith "Bob" could have had the device and planted it on Atlantis for the invasion force to take the city... would have meant that he would have been stunned as well but would have secured victory but meh Apophis could have taken most of Earth out from orbit when he invaded but decided to sit on his butt and show how invulnerable he was. Lots of mistakes for all the villains of the SG verse to face sadly :-/

YutheGreat
February 19th, 2008, 04:41 PM
Actually it would have been 2 Hiveship full of thousands of years old Wraith ;) going to be 3 but one was destroyed by the LaGrangian Point Satellite. That Wraith "Bob" could have had the device and planted it on Atlantis for the invasion force to take the city... would have meant that he would have been stunned as well but would have secured victory but meh Apophis could have taken most of Earth out from orbit when he invaded but decided to sit on his butt and show how invulnerable he was. Lots of mistakes for all the villains of the SG verse to face sadly :-/

I suspect Atlantis has built in safety protocols to protect sections of the city from such a devise. That protection would be built in if the ANcients knew of such a weapon. Of course we cannot be sure. As we did not see the Wraith use it on Atlantis yet.

Jill_Ion
February 19th, 2008, 04:54 PM
The Wraith stun bomb was very, very cool. A powerful weapon when used as the Wraith did in this ep - which is why they didn't need or bring another one. (If this particular group of Wraith even had another one.)

As for how the Tau'ri "should" have energy hand weapons, well, we don't yet. I'm sure they're working on them in Area 51. Til then we use our zats and ARGs.

ciannwn
February 20th, 2008, 03:21 AM
A powerful weapon when used as the Wraith did in this ep - which is why they didn't need or bring another one. (If this particular group of Wraith even had another one.)

It would have made sense for them to send a bomb onto Midway to stun everyone there first. After all, they knew what the station was for so they couldn't be certain that there would only be a couple of scientists present at the time of their attempted invasion. If they had done that, though, Teal'c and Ronon would have been unconscious and unable to do their heroic Wraith slaughtering.

The scriptwriter just set things up so that our heroes could look amazing by getting rid of enemies who were too much for the Tau'ri redshirts to handle. Tau'ri redshirts are the most useless fighters in the whole of two galaxies, though. They're incapable of getting rid of anything including those masked warriors who are completely useless if they have to fight any of the main characters.

Icarium
February 20th, 2008, 05:55 AM
The scriptwriter just set things up so that our heroes could look amazing by getting rid of enemies who were too much for the Tau'ri redshirts to handle. Tau'ri redshirts are the most useless fighters in the whole of two galaxies, though. They're incapable of getting rid of anything including those masked warriors who are completely useless if they have to fight any of the main characters.

Actually, it would be funny if it wasn't so sadly true, especially the bold part. :mad:

Icarium