Marines

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Marines

Was anyone a bit irked at how crappy the Atlantis Marines were? 14 of them went onto Midway, and only 2 survived, but that's only because they were stunned and Sheppard and Mckay were able to drag them to safety.

Would it kill the writers to make the Marines just a bit more believable, rather than just cannon fodder? Hell, I remember when Atlantis Marines were actually considerably more durable than the SFs at SGC, but I guess Midway completely changed that.
    These are the wrong people... in the wrong place.

well if you were trying to ambush an enemy that has almost an unlimited number of soldiers and you have limitted ammo, its not hard to be overwhelmed.
    Their white flags are no match to our guns!!

Comment

Originally posted by Detox View Post
      Was anyone a bit irked at how crappy the Atlantis Marines were? 14 of them went onto Midway, and only 2 survived, but that's only because they were stunned and Sheppard and Mckay were able to drag them to safety.

Would it kill the writers to make the Marines just a bit more believable, rather than just cannon fodder? Hell, I remember when Atlantis Marines were actually considerably more durable than the SFs at SGC, but I guess Midway completely changed that.
      Well, SOMEONE had to get hurt/killed going up against dozens of wraiths. Otherwise it just wouldn't be realistic.

And one team of marines out of position against a whole stream of wraith, plus the wraith that came in on the first wave, don't you think there would be significant casualties?

I felt that it was much more realistic than many of the episodes in that regard. The good guys were taking shots, not getting away scratch-free.
      "The true nature of a man is decided in the battle between his conscious mind and the desires of his subconscious." - Stargate

"What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself." - Friedrich Nietzsche

"Judge of a man by his questions rather than by his answers." - Voltaire

Comment

Considering who they're fighting, I'm glad they got pwned. I don't see how they could have been expected to survive, the Wraith were entering the station at will, how were the marines supposed to stop them?

Comment

Have you looked at whats been coming back from Iraq and Afganastan for the last couple years? Alot of dead soldiers and they were all very smart and well trained (and heroes). And you expect 12 soldiers against like 50 aliens wouldnt have a huge mortality rate? Are you serious? Aliens with lazerz should be more lethal than some guys living in a desert with some guns.

Comment

I've wondered too about the high attrition numbers. Obviously, the Marines in this ep were way outnumbered by the wraith, but as the saying goes, they died with their boots on in execution of their duty.

By the way, why is it always Marines? Why don't they have Army or their own Air Force troops? Instead they're always Marines. And it seems that on the Stargate project, the Air Force is in most of the command positions (O'Neill, Landry, Carter, Sheppard) while the footsoldiers are the Marines.

Comment

Because TPTB decided to use Marines back when the SGC needed to beef up their gate teams. They've since stuck with it for Atlantis.

As has already been mentioned, a dozen Marines can put up a fight, and they did, but the Wraith were coming through the gate, wave after wave. And let's not forget that the Wraith warriors are some tough SOBs.
              I'm not an actor. I just play one on TV.

Comment

You can only fire so much until the clip runs out, then at that time you a vulnerable. And we have no idea exacty how many Wraith came through the gate. It would most likely be a lot more than the first wave. And we only saw that a dozen or so survived, so I would say they kick a** before they died.

Comment

Originally posted by jyh View Post
                  By the way, why is it always Marines? Why don't they have Army or their own Air Force troops? Instead they're always Marines. And it seems that on the Stargate project, the Air Force is in most of the command positions (O'Neill, Landry, Carter, Sheppard) while the footsoldiers are the Marines.
                  Marines were also used in Atlantis because it's the USMC that protects all of the US' overseas embassies, civilian appointments, etc. Given that Atlantis is virtually a colony unto itself, it only made logical sense to take Marines with you since that's what they do.

Sheppard became in charge of the military with the demise of the former CO, Colonel Sumner. Dr. Weir used her considerable political leverage to keep him in that position, and even buying him a promotion.

Also, the command staff is USAF because that's the branch that has charter over the Stargate and all US Aerospace duties. In the early SG-1 seasons the SGC was staffed almost entierly by Air Force personnel, except for SG-3 (a marine combat squad).
                  sigpic
                  http://www.nerdtests.com/ft_space.php

Comment

Working...
                  X